Is it feasible to scale down HoT map events?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Captain Superbacon.1954

Captain Superbacon.1954

I’ve been trying to do the Gerent map event in the Tangled Depths to get the last mistward helm piece, but after 5 failures due to not enough people at several different times of day, I get the feeling that the event (and probably the other HoT map events) should be scaled down to reflect the reduced player counts in those areas. I can’t even lure the Gerent out, let alone kill it, with 2-3 people per lane at best.

Most of the people in those areas, including myself some of the time, are just there to get the skill points for their specialization. People aren’t really doing the big events. I know Anet wants to avoid trivializing the events, but the events should at least be possible.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The first question that comes to mind is, have you looked for LFG starting around 20 minutes before Gerent, or just hoped to find a working map? The second is, have you chatted in Map yourself a bit earlier, asking if people are organizing, cheerfully suggesting that they should, and chivvying those with tags to toss up some squads in LFG?

I admit I haven’t bothered with Gerent for some time, but the above methods have gotten me in on a kill every time I’ve wanted one, even though I had to tag up for a lane a few times despite just wanting to follow the crowd for once

Posted by: Captain Superbacon.1954

Captain Superbacon.1954

I’ll try what I can find, I suppose. I don’t have the money for a commander tag though. I still feel like the events could be a bit more forgiving though.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Not really. As time goes on and we get more new maps this will be a bigger problem. Not only will there be more maps to spread the population out over, but more people will have finished whatever they want to do in the HoT maps, so they will have even less incentive to go back if they don’t like the metas.

Posted by: WiggsMagee.7130

WiggsMagee.7130

Keep on the look out for Guild Wars 2 community events, often posted on Reddit and other places days in advance.
Last week i found an excellent commander that led 40 people spending 4 hours doing Tangled Depths events, got me 2.5k ley crystals and the event easy.

Also check HoT timers and then the LFG tool for if parties are forming, i’m able to find most meta events reliably most days

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

No map should live or die on lfg and currently it seems only HoT maps are the only ones tied to lfg. World bosses, Ls2, and ls3 maps can be done naturally.

It’s not only feasible to scale them down it has to be done and in absence has already begun. So few people liked HoT that AB mm stuck around until we got enough new maps and lfg practically became mandatory. These days AB MM is gone and people spend more time in the new maps than HoT. Unusually high proportion in group content in HoT that is harder now than it used to be with fewer players in those maps.

Old content has to be nerfed in some form after the horde of players move on to new things in other games they increase stats, gear, and level so fewer people are needed to run old gear. In gw1 why had new skills and constant updates to hench, heroes, and mercy.

In Gw2 we have elites as old dungeons that hardly anyone plays can easily be 4manned. As for HoT its nerfs are coming via living world season 3 with easier to acquire ascended gear, new prefixes, and even a new down skill to use. All of these things are forms of power creep even the asc since you can choose newer prefixes.

Tc and those against the HoT events have been made easier with the new AoE down skill which is easy to see. You peg and knock down enemies in a large area. The death of any of the multiple mobs you peg will rally you. Less time rezzing, less time down, and less people required. As more and more new content is added and more and more abandon HoT it’s the new masteries that will make HoT more accessible.

Though I will say HoT could use more updrafts, leylines, nuhoch wallows, and even a thermal vent or two. Decreasing travel times across the maps would be nice and would go a long way in helping with fewer numbers.

(edited by Doam.8305)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No map should live or die on lfg and currently it seems only HoT maps are the only ones tied to lfg. World bosses, Ls2, and ls3 maps can be done naturally.

It’s not only feasible to scale them down it has to be done and in absence has already begun. So few people liked HoT that AB mm stuck around until we got enough new maps and lfg practically became mandatory. These days AB MM is gone and people spend more time in the new maps than HoT. Unusually high proportion in group content in HoT that is harder now than it used to be with fewer players in those maps.

Old content has to be nerfed in some form after the horde of players move on to new things in other games they increase stats, gear, and level so fewer people are needed to run old gear. In gw1 why had new skills and constant updates to hench, heroes, and mercy.

In Gw2 we have elites as old dungeons that hardly anyone plays can easily be 4manned. As for HoT its nerfs are coming via living world season 3 with easier to acquire ascended gear, new prefixes, and even a new down skill to use. All of these things are forms of power creep even the asc since you can choose newer prefixes.

Tc and those against the HoT events have been made easier with the new AoE down skill which is easy to see. You peg and knock down enemies in a large area. The death of any of the multiple mobs you peg will rally you. Less time rezzing, less time down, and less people required. As more and more new content is added and more and more abandon HoT it’s the new masteries that will make HoT more accessible.

Though I will say HoT could use more updrafts, leylines, nuhoch wallows, and even a thermal vent or two. Decreasing travel times across the maps would be nice and would go a long way in helping with fewer numbers.

Try doing triple trouble naturally. Or get the T6 meta in Dry Top. Hell Silverwastes has been an LFG thing all along.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Down-scaling might help somewhat. However, these events still require organization. The only HoT meta that can be sort-of zerged is AB, by running the zerg around to prep each octovine and then splitting the group to finish the task. TD requires 4 groups operating simultaneously and VB is set up to strongly discourage zerging by virtue of there being 5 bosses spread across the map that scale quickly to require more time than you have if you attempt to overload any one boss. You also need to play the ground game, not just defeat the 5 bosses to achieve T4.

This was obviously intended, just like core Tyria events like Triple Trouble. The problem is not having too few players, but the fact that there is a relatively small window of time for groups to organize.

This could be alleviated somewhat by adjustments to scaling. It might also be possible to approach this another way by creating some sort of connection between the event cycle and the boss meta. As it stands, you log in to one of these maps, mess around with the event cycle, and then play the LFG game to get on a map that is organizing. If organization required paying some degree of attention to the normal event cycle, then perhaps maps would have more than 15 minutes ahead of the boss meta to get organized and you’d know long before if you’re on a meta map.

Of course, that brings its own set of issues as players probably don’t want to be forced into a Dragon’s Stand-style meta where the meta maps fill up long before the boss and your only hope of getting in is to start from the beginning of an hour+ long cycle!

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I’ve been trying to do the Gerent map event in the Tangled Depths to get the last mistward helm piece, but after 5 failures due to not enough people at several different times of day, I get the feeling that the event (and probably the other HoT map events) should be scaled down to reflect the reduced player counts in those areas. I can’t even lure the Gerent out, let alone kill it, with 2-3 people per lane at best.

Most of the people in those areas, including myself some of the time, are just there to get the skill points for their specialization. People aren’t really doing the big events. I know Anet wants to avoid trivializing the events, but the events should at least be possible.

And deprive all the “its easy for me, L2P” people from one of their favorite pastimes?!

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

AliamRationem.5172

And deprive all the “its easy for me, L2P” people from one of their favorite pastimes?!

You really have a chip on your shoulder about this HoT difficulty, don’t you?

Vayne.8563

No matter how difficult it is, this is not a solo event and it’s completed successfully multiple times a day. People are annoyed by having to get on early and use LFG.

That still doesn’t mean it will always be successful, but it will definitely be successful at some point.

It doesn’t hurt that the reward for failing a decent run isn’t much off the reward for succeed, so at least I’m building currency.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Hell Silverwastes has been an LFG thing all along.

Only to farm it. 1 person per fort is really all you need to successfully do it all. If they removed the limiter, I could probably solo the lanes before it failed.

Silverwastes is an example of them actually going back and nerfing it. When the population died down, they added NPCs to help with the collections and later on, they reduced the health of the bosses.

Vayne.8563

Hell Silverwastes has been an LFG thing all along.

Only to farm it. 1 person per fort is really all you need to successfully do it all. If they removed the limiter, I could probably solo the lanes before it failed.

Silverwastes is an example of them actually going back and nerfing it. When the population died down, they added NPCs to help with the collections and later on, they reduced the health of the bosses.

I don’t know I can’t solo Silver and Gold and get through it.

Edit: In fact I can’t solo defend indigo.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I don’t know I can’t solo Silver and Gold and get through it.

Edit: In fact I can’t solo defend indigo.

The difficulty of a fort’s defense increases as it’s successfully defended. At level 1, indigo will almost defend itself. You can’t rebuild the walls solo, meaning the next will likely fail, so rotate forts, which is the slow way.

Silver and gold is actually the easiest, as it’s essentially just a burn without any risk to yourself. If you immediately start with the left bubble, both will hit the right bubble at the same time. With 2 zerkers, one will likely be dead at that point, but solo, you’ll need to hit the left again and repeat. This one was always my favorite early on because it was the one that always failed.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Try doing triple trouble naturally. Or get the T6 meta in Dry Top. Hell Silverwastes has been an LFG thing all along.

Doable and Silverwastes isn’t a Lfg thing lfg only exist to speed up VW and to this day random maps pug both the Silverwastes and Drytop. The only point you could make is TT and even then TT was puggable years after its release heck it was pigging that got me my achieves before the Guild TTS made it there thing. Wurm isn’t scaled for the elite specialization power creep it’s easier today than it was at launch and merely knowing the times people show up is enough. It’s a world boss not a map event and HoT remains that content area that remains more or less unchanged that requires lfg not even Orr requires a lfg for its map metas.

AliamRationem.5172

Doable and Silverwastes isn’t a Lfg thing lfg only exist to speed up VW and to this day random maps pug both the Silverwastes and Drytop. The only point you could make is TT and even then TT was puggable years after its release heck it was pigging that got me my achieves before the Guild TTS made it there thing. Wurm isn’t scaled for the elite specialization power creep it’s easier today than it was at launch and merely knowing the times people show up is enough. It’s a world boss not a map event and HoT remains that content area that remains more or less unchanged that requires lfg not even Orr requires a lfg for its map metas.

I don’t understand what you’re saying here. It sounds like you’re suggesting that HoT boss events are somehow different from events like TT because those are “world bosses” and not a “map event”? The distinction escapes me. Isn’t a world boss just an event with a boss that requires more people and organization than most? How is that any different from HoT boss events exactly?

Call me crazy, but I like encounters like the chak gerent. They’re a lot more interesting than the nothing meta that exists on maps like bitterfrost frontier. If it requires LFG, so what? I use LFG for world bosses, for Vinewrath, for organized Dry Top maps, etc.

Bottom line: I can see why all maps shouldn’t be this way, but I have a real problem with the basic assumption that NO map should be this way. In my opinion, TD is the best map in the game. You’re welcome to your own opinion, and as I said I would totally agree that not all maps should be this way. So why is it a problem if we have SOME maps that are this way?

I certainly hope the devs see the light on this and move forward with an expansion that is a mix of both types of maps, because honestly the last 3 LS3 maps have been pretty boring to me. I want to see more vertical maps with real boss metas like the original HoT maps had.

Djinn.9245

Why do I have to have a chip on my shoulder just because I keep commenting on it? There are plenty of people who keep commenting for the “difficulty is fine” side.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

I don’t understand what you’re saying here. It sounds like you’re suggesting that HoT boss events are somehow different from events like TT because those are “world bosses” and not a “map event”?

You’re right, that is not the distinction between TT and Gerent, this is:

“-Killing a Chak Gerent is required for many collections.
-Successful completion of the King of the Jungle meta-event is required to obtain the Mistward Helm Casing, not slaying one as the collection hint describes.”

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Chak Gerent needs to be looked at. It’s getting more and more difficult to find a group to do it. I’ve gotten what I require from it, but it has to be rough for new players.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I did the Gerent meta several times last weekend without any issue. Players can either use LFG to find a map or take the initiative and squad up. The only thing that could be looked at would be the scaling of the Nuhoch lane event but then the failing could be everyone abandoning it for the chak rush.

All HoT maps still succeed fairly regularly so no adjustments need to be made.

Vayne.8563

Chak Gerent needs to be looked at. It’s getting more and more difficult to find a group to do it. I’ve gotten what I require from it, but it has to be rough for new players.

Then how come I do it five, six times a week?