Is playing meta events for XP futile?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Neurodepletion.3915

Neurodepletion.3915

Hi there

I came across a reddit thread about how using the map meta events in the new areas to get experience is basically useless because you get diminishing returns within 30 minutes – before the meta is even finished. This also apparently applies to Silverwastes.

The thread is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3svh98/having_diminishing_return_makes_running_metas_in/

Has anyone else encountered this? What’s the point of doing meta events when the amount of xp we get is so throttled it becomes a waste of time?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I haven’t gotten diminishing returns, but apparently some people have. I don’t think everyone gets it, and I don’t think it’s intentional.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I never really gave this much thought until I first heard of this issue yesterday. I typically bounce around between the HoT maps and I rarely ever run the same Meta twice in a row so I might have been able to avoid significant DR. But thinking back I do recall earning the usual 18k xp and then sometimes for reasons (at the time) I didn’t understand I would receive maybe 14k or less. I’ve even simply not received event credit a couple of times. At the time I thought maybe I somehow didn’t participate enough but I was fairly confident I did the usual needed for Gold but instead got nothing.

Given that you only get to choose from 4 maps and the only way to progress is with xp…DR needs to go away.

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

In all honesty it would be bad game design for diminishing returns to hit while doing a map meta event. There is absolutely NO REASON for it to happen and honestly I find the idea of diminishing returns silly since dungeons aren’t a thing anymore and most “rewards” for these events are items, not gold. If something is insanely spammable then maybe fix that but the new meta events should give you full rewards 100% of the time.

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

Never noticed it and I always look for the 18k exp popup after completing an event, and I do many events. So that thread sounds like a gross exaggeration to me.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

I messaged anet about getting DR during SW and DS meta events. and the words that struck me the most from what they said was. The reason I’m getting DR is because I’m gaining an unfair advantage over other players..How in the world is doing meta events gaining an unfair advantage?

Proud TTS member

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I messaged anet about getting DR during SW and DS meta events. and the words that struck me the most from what they said was. The reason I’m getting DR is because I’m gaining an unfair advantage over other players..How in the world is doing meta events gaining an unfair advantage?

But CoF xp farming is fine.

Yeah.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I never watched it, I just play the game. My advice: just play the game, don’t care about such details. Guys, wake up, it’s a kittening game, really. Reading this forum is a pain. In game everyone is having fun and although I already played around 200h I am not burned out, and now I am excited for raids.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

Yeah.

Does CoF give loot? If it does big problem if it doesn’t maybe that’s why. Personally off is better gives a decent amount of money,

Posted by: Heimdallr.7021

Heimdallr.7021

I never watched it, I just play the game. My advice: just play the game, don’t care about such details. Guys, wake up, it’s a kittening game, really. Reading this forum is a pain. In game everyone is having fun and although I already played around 200h I am not burned out, and now I am excited for raids.

Yeah sure.
Except these are not details, it’s a bad game design.

norn warrior

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Yeah.

Does CoF give loot? If it does big problem if it doesn’t maybe that’s why. Personally off is better gives a decent amount of money,

It does not. Fun story, we ended up short a person in that path the other night and had to wait for someone without waypoints to run to the zone. So we were stuck in that farm room for about ten minutes. I can’t for the life of me understand how anyone sits in that room and kills flame legion for hours on end. It was awful.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yeah sure.
Except these are not details, it’s a bad game design.

It’s bad game design if it’s not a bug you mean. I’m absolutely not getting it, and I’ve spent ages in a single zone. So saying it’s bad design, which implies intention is probably not the best way to phrase it.

It may well be a bug. Of course intermittent bugs are harder to track down.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I only ever hit DR a few times and that was because I was constantly doing events in DS without moving on. I may have also just been doing those in one lane. It helps to alternate between maps.

Posted by: newbihack.7180

newbihack.7180

Seems playing the mini games in these maps gives more exp than doing a 30min event

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

You tagged too many mobs in too short a time.

Try pressing other buttons one spam 1 on a guardian, or stick around and actually kill a mob before running off in search of the next tag.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Try pressing other buttons one spam 1 on a guardian, or stick around and actually kill a mob before running off in search of the next tag.

I can’t say that I’ve seen anyone using a guardian lootstick in those maps. It sounds like the perfect way to overagro and then get killed while trying to wand everything to death.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I wasn’t sure this was happening until my wife and I did the exact same content and we were on the same amount of time and her XP was nearly double mine when the event completed. I’m not sure if this is a bug or not and will try and duplicate this to confirm but it would be nice to hear some rational on why this is necessary. Frankly we enjoy the events in VB more than AB so why should we be punished for doing them seems kind of odd. If intentional then all I can say is that is the final nail in the coffin of play the way you want lol!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Once upon a time, I’m 99% sure that John Smith said there was no DR. Maybe that was only in regards to loot? But it would be nice to hear a refresher on whether there is or isn’t supposed to be DR and in what capacity.

As it seems numerous people are bringing it up in HoT with XP.

It would also be nice, if there is any DR, to hear the reasons for why.

Thanks.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Yeah.

It does not. Fun story, we ended up short a person in that path the other night and had to wait for someone without waypoints to run to the zone. So we were stuck in that farm room for about ten minutes. I can’t for the life of me understand how anyone sits in that room and kills flame legion for hours on end. It was awful.

I put tape over my mouse and go read a book.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I find that I start to hit DR by the end of a meta event. This happens when I bounce around and try to do lots of events. For isntance in AB I will complete all the west events, then go do all the east events, then the south events. By the time I make it to the south events I am usually only getting 10k xp per event instead of 18k. I am down to about 8k experience by the end of the meta. If I stay in that map and try a second meta event I am down to <1k xp before finishing westwatch events.

Basically I do one meta event then I can either change maps or log out if I want xp/karma. Generally I just change maps since you need a lot of all the different map currencies so changing maps is ok.

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Is DR per character or per account?

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

what..? i was doing meta events. not running off and tagging.

Proud TTS member