Is there any way to turn off HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

To me, HoT is just a collection of terrible maps with overpowering mobs. It’s like Orr was in the early days, except much more powerful and harder to find your way around.

You can’t find your way around, and it seems the entire map is gated by masteries. Add to that an unbelievable number of mobs that are way beyond a level that leaves the game playable.

The mastery system seems like it could be interesting material, but the glacial pace of getting masteries means it’s just a grind. I don’t mind grinding somewhat for equipment, but grinding just to be able to survive the mobs is simply wrong.

And, what’s with the events? SW had a lot of events, but they were distinct and easy to understand. The events in HoT range all over the place, and you have to finish them to get credit. But, the only way to follow the event runs you through a horrendous number of mobs and other events.

So, my question is, is there a way to disable or remove all HoT content, and get back to the original game?

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Just don’t go to the HoT maps? You’ll still have Central Tyria masteries, but you can just ignore those if you’re not interested in them.

There is no way to just turn off HoT, but it sounds like your complaint is mostly that you don’t like the maps, which are easily avoided.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

There is no need to conceal your little rant there behind a question.

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Turn off? Disable? What about simply, you know, not going there? o_O

Daddicus.6128

Just don’t go to the HoT maps? You’ll still have Central Tyria masteries, but you can just ignore those if you’re not interested in them.

There is no way to just turn off HoT, but it sounds like your complaint is mostly that you don’t like the maps, which are easily avoided.

It’s mostly masteries and so-called elite specializations that I want to turn off. But, I would also like to undo the dungeon changes. I didn’t farm dungeons, but I also didn’t finish them all. With the nerf, I’ll never be able to find a group to do all the explorable modes of the dungeons.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Sure, you can have the old gold rewards for dungeons back. Just click the button.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

These are the first maps in the game that you truly need to explore. There is nothing to explore in the standard maps since they are flat and if you head in one direction you will get there. Do these maps frustrate me at times, yes. But that’s a good thing. We have something to figure out and understand. Just this weekend found a much more simple way to make it to a point in the map that I had been at before. There was a fresh discovery at that point that was new and interesting and made me question other routes I was taking. This is a good thing.

As far as masteries to defeat NPCs, haven’t unlocked yet any that aid in that case and have made it all the way through to Dragon Stand and events there. So that’s a matter of playstyle and the difference in the NPC in these maps versus traditional maps. So take your time, get to know the maps and mechanics in an area before moving to the next and each area will make more sense. Plan on getting lost, its part of the concept of the zone. Don’t expect the old, need 100% map completion though either. There are sections that are supposed to be more secluded that will require masteries to travel too but those do not limit you moving around or progressing to the next map. They wanted players to have some back and fourth to areas as we go versus create wastelands as areas are abandoned. And if you are still overwhelmed, get friends and guildies to give you a hand or step back into Tyria and wind down before going again. People requested more challenging areas and seeing some feedback on the forums that’s working.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Oh and you might want to question what gear and build make up you are using and ask yourself if that makes sense in these zones.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

Request a refund? The minus is that refund won’t fix the changes they made to the core game like nerfing dungeon and fractal(though they are “fixing” fractals) rewards. Or making ascended crafting more expensive. Or the changes to guilds.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

No you cannot get the game to go back to what it was 2 months ago. The changes are there and they are going to stay there. No you cannot get the elites taken out of your copy. No you cannot get the dungeons to go back in your copy.

Daddicus.6128

Oh and you might want to question what gear and build make up you are using and ask yourself if that makes sense in these zones.

Rabid ranger is the only character I’ve tried so far. I tried Druid and found it extremely lacking, in some ways harmful to my build. That was just another reason to not like HoT.

Daddicus.6128

No you cannot get the game to go back to what it was 2 months ago. The changes are there and they are going to stay there. No you cannot get the elites taken out of your copy. No you cannot get the dungeons to go back in your copy.

I was afraid that this is the case. Sad. I paid $100 for this, and now I just want it gone. But even that is out of reach.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I find the core tyria maps to be incredibly easy and boring these days. I wish we had more maps like those in Maguuma.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I was afraid that this is the case. Sad. I paid $100 for this, and now I just want it gone. But even that is out of reach.

I also paid $100 for the Ultimate. So did my husband and both our boys (ages 28 and 30) and none of us are regretting the purchase. If we didn’t like it we would all just move onto a game we do like. This is an MMO, they change over time to stay “fresh and new” there is no way they can be static and defiantly no way they can have lots and lots of different versions running the same game for those that want this but not that but then give me this.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I also paid $100 for the Ultimate. So did my husband and both our boys (ages 28 and 30) and none of us are regretting the purchase.

That’s pretty awesome your whole family plays together!

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

It’s mostly masteries and so-called elite specializations that I want to turn off. But, I would also like to undo the dungeon changes. I didn’t farm dungeons, but I also didn’t finish them all. With the nerf, I’ll never be able to find a group to do all the explorable modes of the dungeons.

Unfortunately, that definitely won’t be an option. You don’t have to use masteries or elite specs if you don’t want them (I’m not on my Ele, even though I unlocked all of Tempest!) but other players are going to continue using them. There’s just no way to change that without splitting the entire world into “HoT” or “Not HoT,” and that would be a very bad idea for Anet.

I don’t know how the changes have affected groups that run the same dungeons over and over again, but I did all of the dungeons with casual PUGs right before launch, and it was obvious none of us were in it for the gold. I think the only one I ever had real difficulty filling up a party for was Arah, which is long and difficult for a casual group. Try posting in the LFG tool and you might be surprised.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: kylania.6924

kylania.6924

I also paid $100 for the Ultimate. So did my husband and both our boys (ages 28 and 30) and none of us are regretting the purchase.

That’s pretty awesome your whole family plays together!

The family that slays together stays together! or “plays together” I guess…

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Why would you want to turn off masteries and elite specializations? If you don’t like the elite specs, don’t use them, simple as that, and for masteries, they do absolutely no harm and in fact help without taking anything from anywhere.

As for dungeons, they can still be done. You can still find groups, just not as easily as before. Perhaps join a guild and ask for help.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

All you have to do is build a time machine and go back a few months!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The closest you can get to turning it off is buying a core account. Places like Amazon.com sell the core without the expansion for about $20. Or you can get and play a f2p account.

Other than that, you stay in the old maps and ignore the mastery lines and the new mats added. The changes to dungeons isn’t reversible but the rest can be ignored.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The closest you can get to turning it off is buying a core account. Places like Amazon.com sell the core without the expansion for about $20. Or you can get and play a f2p account.

Other than that, you stay in the old maps and ignore the mastery lines and the new mats added. The changes to dungeons isn’t reversible but the rest can be ignored.

Neither are the changes to guild buffs, or fractals, since ANet treats them separately from dungeons.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Not all changes are part of HoT.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

These are the first maps in the game that you truly need to explore. There is nothing to explore in the standard maps since they are flat and if you head in one direction you will get there. Do these maps frustrate me at times, yes. But that’s a good thing. We have something to figure out and understand. Just this weekend found a much more simple way to make it to a point in the map that I had been at before. There was a fresh discovery at that point that was new and interesting and made me question other routes I was taking. This is a good thing.

As far as masteries to defeat NPCs, haven’t unlocked yet any that aid in that case and have made it all the way through to Dragon Stand and events there. So that’s a matter of playstyle and the difference in the NPC in these maps versus traditional maps. So take your time, get to know the maps and mechanics in an area before moving to the next and each area will make more sense. Plan on getting lost, its part of the concept of the zone. Don’t expect the old, need 100% map completion though either. There are sections that are supposed to be more secluded that will require masteries to travel too but those do not limit you moving around or progressing to the next map. They wanted players to have some back and fourth to areas as we go versus create wastelands as areas are abandoned. And if you are still overwhelmed, get friends and guildies to give you a hand or step back into Tyria and wind down before going again. People requested more challenging areas and seeing some feedback on the forums that’s working.

Gotta say I miss the exploration in Guild Wars 1, though; it was a lot of flat but very enjoyable maps, and not tons and tons of waypoints like in GW2. Oh, and challenging mobs. I like that the HoT maps exist, and they’re fun the first two times around, but I’d really appreciate a huge quantity of “flat” maps be added to the game as well for exploration’s sake. Flat maps come cheap, and Anet could always develop them later.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Daddicus.6128

Why would you want to turn off masteries and elite specializations? If you don’t like the elite specs, don’t use them, simple as that, and for masteries, they do absolutely no harm and in fact help without taking anything from anywhere.

As for dungeons, they can still be done. You can still find groups, just not as easily as before. Perhaps join a guild and ask for help.

You’re right on especs. But, masteries are required, and you apparently do not gain regular XP any more. So, no more spirit shards (except one-off sources like daily achievements).

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Turning off HoT won’t get you better dungeon rewards. People without HoT have the same dungeon rewards. So turning it off serves no purpose.

Some people can solo most HoT content and others can’t. If you can’t find friends or a casual guild, then I guess you’ll never get to see that content.

However, in my guild, most people who didn’t like it at first found themselves warming to it as we explored it together as a guild.

Posted by: Nightwin.6423

Nightwin.6423

Im sorry but to me that is kind of a naive question not saying your rants not valid cause you do have some fair points but completely disabling HOT an expansion in a mmo…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Neither are the changes to guild buffs, or fractals, since ANet treats them separately from dungeons.

True, but I didn’t bother to mention it in my post directed towards the OP as s/he didn’t mention those, but did ask specifically about reversing dungeons.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Daddicus.6128

Turning off HoT won’t get you better dungeon rewards. People without HoT have the same dungeon rewards. So turning it off serves no purpose.

Some people can solo most HoT content and others can’t. If you can’t find friends or a casual guild, then I guess you’ll never get to see that content.

However, in my guild, most people who didn’t like it at first found themselves warming to it as we explored it together as a guild.

Perhaps, but I shouldn’t have to! Where is the game advertised as being only for groups?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

To me, HoT is just a collection of terrible maps with overpowering mobs. It’s like Orr was in the early days, except much more powerful and harder to find your way around.

You can’t find your way around, and it seems the entire map is gated by masteries. Add to that an unbelievable number of mobs that are way beyond a level that leaves the game playable.

The mastery system seems like it could be interesting material, but the glacial pace of getting masteries means it’s just a grind. I don’t mind grinding somewhat for equipment, but grinding just to be able to survive the mobs is simply wrong.

And, what’s with the events? SW had a lot of events, but they were distinct and easy to understand. The events in HoT range all over the place, and you have to finish them to get credit. But, the only way to follow the event runs you through a horrendous number of mobs and other events.

So, my question is, is there a way to disable or remove all HoT content, and get back to the original game?

just create an F2P account and you’re good to go….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

True, but I didn’t bother to mention it in my post directed towards the OP as s/he didn’t mention those, but did ask specifically about reversing dungeons.

Also true… I guess I wanted to mention the others under the theory that if he’d missed one, he might later miss the others.