Is this a game or a social experiment?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

Are we playing a game here or trying to build the perfect utopian society?

The new direction of HoT is build on massive community driven events that require immense coordination.

This is to the point of completely shutting out the single player out of many rewards and content including but not limited to:

-Specific gear vendors
-Rewards from collections that require group event rewards
-Hero Points that require 3-5+ people
-Specific areas of a zone (such as the tarir treasure room)
-Electric Wyvern and Tiger Ranger Pets
-Sometimes you can’t even WALK to certain areas alone because of the sheer difficulty of some of the mobs. Examples are the living hell known as Tangleroot (this map encompasses everything wrong with the game) where 10000 veteran chak hide around every corner. It’s like playing halo 1 where every flood alien is replaced by an elite with laser swords and overshield.

This makes personal hero progression very difficult.

The game also promotes organization of large groups but the maps themselves constrict it. This is due to platformer elements that prevents less coordinated members of the zerg from reaching the event point, such as putting a 5 man boss behind a jumping puzzle.

It becomes really frustrating to explore as a solo player and go through all sorts of mario bros. hoopla to reach a hero point or area locked behind a group event.

Players are unable to group up due to certain areas requiring certain masteries. Also the maps are so large and confusing, half of the players on the map can’t even reach where the event is and just end up running around lost while scaling up everything around them.

The introduction of guild halls, large cost of upgrading, and the group based unlock method also pushes the idea of large organized groups. Solo players have no possible way of creating the most basic guild hall due to the high cost and maintenance of the hall itself.

The game presents this oppressive feeling of “join a social group or die.”

Sometimes I just want to explore by myself. Sometimes I don’t want to rely on 100+ people to complete an event so I can advance my own personal character. Sometimes I don’t want to tag up and herd 100 cats because I do enough management at work and I don’t need to be doing it at home.

This game used to be fun and relaxing.

If your trying to test the coordination and teamwork abilities of the human race, congrats. You succeeded. Zerg herders and leaders that like pulling blobs of people around and large prestigious guilds that can pull people into an area with a wave of their hand are in heaven.

The rest of us are living in hell.

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

“massive community driven events that require immense coordination”

WHAT ?!
where ?

i did all the zones events are nice but its all about folow the commander and bam rewards flying your face

you dont need a group a guild or anything hell you don’t even need to talk realy……

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I know the feeling dude, just get a refund; that’s what I did I spoke with my wallet.

lordhelmos.7623

“massive community driven events that require immense coordination”

WHAT ?!
where ?

i did all the zones events are nice but its all about folow the commander and bam rewards flying your face

you dont need a group a guild or anything hell you don’t even need to talk realy……

Maybe your lucky then? Every Tarir, Tangleroot, and Dragon Stand map I’ve been on was either underpopulated or failed. Every organized map that is posted for a ferry is full. I’m just sitting here with my thumb up my —- because I can’t progress anywhere.

Why? Not because of my skill level, but because of the actions of 100 other people on a failing map. Because of not being lucky enough to be on the “correct” map.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I think it’s a little from Column “A” and a little from Column “B”.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

lordhelmos.7623

I know the feeling dude, just get a refund; that’s what I did I spoke with my wallet.

I hear you, its sad for me because I invested quite alot in this game until the expac came out.

I really enjoyed it until HoT ruined it. This is starwars galaxy NGE all over again.

Posted by: zeldara.4127

zeldara.4127

My problem is that if i find my way to a bigger group doing an event, and i die and don’t get rezzed. As is very likely due to the amount aoe killing people, rezzers and those still fighting alike, and people don’t always rezz. Or try to keep up with the train to not loose it and have no time to rezz. I have died a fair few times rezzing others and not getting the same back. Or you accidentally fall off, get pushed off, jump off, misglide into another layer. I often do not find the way back, at all, or in time to join up the event again before it’s done. Or when being forced solo this way to get back the mobs on the way kill me as i need to tackle them alone now. And often it also means no reward no matter how much i already done as I get a “no longer participating due to inactivity to event” or some such while trying to get back.

This is no fun.

Also blindly trying to keep up with a zerg to murder the heck out of mobs with stuff exploding everywhere skill visuals wise, isn’t all that fun either. Don’t think difficulty and rewards should for a great deal be dependant if you are lucky enough to find and catch up to a zerg, and stick with it. And maybe not even rezzing for fear of loosing said zerg.

Sure i manage to do some things solo, and yes I can have fun that way even if it’s a bit more of a fight both ways then I would like around every corner. But it really feels like a extreme disadvantage doing it this way, way harder (at times in my opinion overtuned) way less rewards, whether by choice or forced.

(edited by zeldara.4127)

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

Mastery 121 hear, all 4 maps 100% did it 90% solo.

Posted by: Dengar.1785

Dengar.1785

When you die you’re not supposed to get rezzed. You’re supposed to waypoint.

Posted by: jonG.8369

jonG.8369

Are we playing a game here or trying to build the perfect utopian society?

The new direction of HoT is build on massive community driven events that require immense coordination.

This is to the point of completely shutting out the single player out of many rewards and content including but not limited to:

-Specific gear vendors
-Rewards from collections that require group event rewards
-Hero Points that require 3-5+ people
-Specific areas of a zone (such as the tarir treasure room)
-Electric Wyvern and Tiger Ranger Pets
-Sometimes you can’t even WALK to certain areas alone because of the sheer difficulty of some of the mobs. Examples are the living hell known as Tangleroot (this map encompasses everything wrong with the game) where 10000 veteran chak hide around every corner. It’s like playing halo 1 where every flood alien is replaced by an elite with laser swords and overshield.

This makes personal hero progression very difficult.

The game also promotes organization of large groups but the maps themselves constrict it. This is due to platformer elements that prevents less coordinated members of the zerg from reaching the event point, such as putting a 5 man boss behind a jumping puzzle.

It becomes really frustrating to explore as a solo player and go through all sorts of mario bros. hoopla to reach a hero point or area locked behind a group event.

Players are unable to group up due to certain areas requiring certain masteries. Also the maps are so large and confusing, half of the players on the map can’t even reach where the event is and just end up running around lost while scaling up everything around them.

The introduction of guild halls, large cost of upgrading, and the group based unlock method also pushes the idea of large organized groups. Solo players have no possible way of creating the most basic guild hall due to the high cost and maintenance of the hall itself.

The game presents this oppressive feeling of “join a social group or die.”

Sometimes I just want to explore by myself. Sometimes I don’t want to rely on 100+ people to complete an event so I can advance my own personal character. Sometimes I don’t want to tag up and herd 100 cats because I do enough management at work and I don’t need to be doing it at home.

This game used to be fun and relaxing.

If your trying to test the coordination and teamwork abilities of the human race, congrats. You succeeded. Zerg herders and leaders that like pulling blobs of people around and large prestigious guilds that can pull people into an area with a wave of their hand are in heaven.

Solo player of 3 years here.

Personally speaking, this expansion delivered exactly what I’ve wanted and hoped for. Are the new zones challenging? Yes. And that is explicitly what the Devs told us to expect for our level 80 characters months before going into this expansion. (And this makes perfect sense from a storyline perspective…we’re literally venturing into the backyard of an Elder Dragon. This should be one of the most difficult challenges to embark on for our heroes.

Why should the devs further nerf the new zones simply because you refuse to play group content?

Why should Mordremoth and his forces ease up on our advance simply because a small minority of players don’t have what it takes to cut it outside of Queensdale?

If survivability is an issue, you probably just need to add some vitality and toughness into your gear. Do what any real combatant would, study your enemy. Spend some time taking on various enemies and learn their scripted patterns. Follow the commanders around. That’s what they’re there for. You’ll find the Mastery bar goes up a lot faster when you participate in the dynamic events. More mastery = getting the skills and access to the vendors that you say you’re “Completely” locked out from at the moment.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That was true for old maps, where waypoints were relatively nearby. Here, the closest unlocked waypoint may as well be at the very beginning of the map.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I never needed more than 1 other person to do any of the hero challenges. And all but one of the meta events are relatively easy and do not require a LOT of coordination.

The only really difficult event is in dangled depths, the rest are being done by completely random people as is.
Please do not whine them to make content that is already doable by randoms any easier, especially since all of these events will become even easier once people have all the masteries.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Personally speaking, this expansion delivered exactly what I’ve wanted and hoped for. Are the new zones challenging? Yes. And that is explicitly what the Devs told us to expect for our level 80 characters months before going into this expansion.

There is a difference between zone being challenging, and zone requiring being in a group. Also, for your information, many of the problematic things are not challenging per se – they end up being really easy when you are in a group (some of course remain punishingly hard even then, but that’s a minority).

Oh please. That something makes a perfect sense for a storyline doesn’t mean that it makes a perfect sense for the game and the players.

Also, from a story perspective, it would have been perfect sense for our characters to be oneshotted, and then devoured/turned into mordrem (depending on race) as soon as we stepped into the first area. Would it have been fun however? Not so much.

Why should Mordremoth and his forces ease up on our advance simply because a small minority of players don’t have what it takes to cut it outside of Queensdale?

Ah, that depends completely on how small that “minority” is. Be careful with such arguments, lest someday you will find that’s you that are in a minority.

If survivability is an issue

Nah, enjoyment is an issue. I can survive just fine, it’s just extremely irritating. Just like the original orr before nerfs was with tons of mobs using pulls, pushes and knockdowns at the drop of a hat.

I can survive just fine, but if getting from point a to point b means getting constantly interrupted by cc-happy mobs every 3 steps, even a short walk becomes an annoyance that eats at my fun.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

That was true for old maps, where waypoints were relatively nearby. Here, the closest unlocked waypoint may as well be at the very beginning of the map.

You not wanting to run another 2 minutes it’s not a good argument for your case lmao

Posted by: jonG.8369

jonG.8369

It really sounds like you need to bring more condi cleanse. Being constantly cc’d IS a survivability issue. There’s a few problematic sections of maps that can make it harder to traverse. (nothing that cc’s every 3 steps as you put it.) Take some time and get a few masteries under your belt. It makes a world of difference getting around.

Dengar.1785

So you ruin the event for everyone else by scaling up the event while not contributing anything… Because you’re too lazy?

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Its an mmorpg you should google that term

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

All MMOs are Skinner boxes nuff said

Dengar.1785

I would like to think this game doesn’t fall into that category. :\ You pay for it only once, and there’s nothing you can do with money to give yourself an edge over other players.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

The way I see it is that the game is an MMO. Now, before somone pipes up with the “but that doesn’t mean that you have to play with other players”, you’re right.

However, the main advantage of an MMO over single player games is the ability to play in a group. Personally I think most of the content in an MMO should be based around group play. Otherwise, what’s the point of developing an MMO if you’re going to create the majority of the content for solo players?

I speak as a primarily solo player myself.

I mean, you’re complaining about something that’s been in the game since the beginning. Dungeon armour was unattainable by the solo player. Fractal rewards were unattainable by the solo player. Icy Runestones were locked behind the Claw of Jormag. What’s the difference now?

As for guild halls – key work being guild – they marketed them as group-orientated content when they explained how they’d be unlocked.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Personally speaking, this expansion delivered exactly what I’ve wanted and hoped for. Are the new zones challenging? Yes. And that is explicitly what the Devs told us to expect for our level 80 characters months before going into this expansion.

There is a difference between zone being challenging, and zone requiring being in a group. Also, for your information, many of the problematic things are not challenging per se – they end up being really easy when you are in a group (some of course remain punishingly hard even then, but that’s a minority).~Snip~

Which zone requires you to be in a group? I can even run through Tangled Root solo, and that is the one everyone seems to complain about..and I’m no pro gamer, might play a lot of hours, but I’m in no hurry to get anywhere, so it doesn’t matter how long it takes, but that is just me personally.

If survivability is an issue

Nah, enjoyment is an issue. I can survive just fine, it’s just extremely irritating. Just like the original orr before nerfs was with tons of mobs using pulls, pushes and knockdowns at the drop of a hat.

I can survive just fine, but if getting from point a to point b means getting constantly interrupted by cc-happy mobs every 3 steps, even a short walk becomes an annoyance that eats at my fun.

I have to disagree on this, I loved the original Orr, it felt like we were on Zhaitan’s doorstep with how many mobs there were at release. I was majorly disappointed when I went there after the mob density nerf…no way on Tyria should I be able to open the main map and run from one end of Cursed Shore to the other, but that’s how it is now…there’s no worry about getting swarmed by a bunch of enemies, no strategy at all, unlike the HoT maps where you have to pay attention to your surroundings, but even those sometimes are easily traversable…yes, even that path in TR with all the groups of Pocket Raptors, they’re easily out run, or if you don’t want to out run them, just kill them all, it’s not like they don’t die in 2 or 3 shots.

P.S. – Once you unlock all of the Waypoints in any of the new maps, when are they ever all contested? I’ve yet to find them all except the first one Contested at the same time, in any of the maps(with the exception of DS, but then there were 2 not contested).

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Maybe it’s both. lol

I mean, how would we really know if there were decisions being made purely for the x factor of how people would react.

It’s a little kool-aid-ish, but hey, I like the berry blue flavor.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Lol you are taking this way too seriously.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs