Is worth to buy HoT right now?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: IStepedOnAglassShard.4891

IStepedOnAglassShard.4891

Basically, I brought Guild wars 2 before the heart of thorns expansion, and I’ve had the game for I think almost 2 years now.
When the heart of thorns expansion came out my friends wanted me to buy it so badly and I also wanted to buy it, but I never had the money even when it was on discounts. So I’ve been playing the game on the just default full game that you can’t buy anymore.
I’m just thinking if it’s worth to buy Heart Of thorns now considering that it’s been pretty much almost a year since its came out, and there may be a new expansion soon anyway. So I might just wait to buy that.
I do have the money to buy heart of thorns now, but again don’t know if it’s worth it.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

The new expansion is likely within 6-7 months, possibly (though not likely) as early as 4 months.
When it comes, HoT maps will likely see a drop in population.
So it really comes down to two main points:
1) Do you want to play HoT content now, before the next expansion or are you comfortable waiting up to half a year for new things?
2) Can you afford $30 now and likely $30-40 in half a year? If not both, would you want to wait to get the new stuff again with the new expansion?

If you don’t expect to be able to afford both, I’d recomend waiting. If you can afford it, get it now to play through before the new stuff comes.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You might want to be working on the things that would be helpful when the next expansion arrives. It will probably be 5-6 months before the next expansion.

Totally up to you, though. There’s a lot of story to go through, if you want the expansion story to make sense. A lot of easy-to-acquire Ascended Gear with HoT, as well. Which might, or might not, come in handy for the next expansion.

Good luck.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The Devs have previously stated that past expansions, as well as the Core game, will be included in each new expansion (pack).

So, in essence, free (of additional charge).

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

I would pass atm. Unless you like just PvE. Currently WvW and PvP are in bad shape. Ultimately it is up to you. But imo it is not worth it atm.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

I would pass atm. Unless you like just PvE. Currently WvW and PvP are in bad shape. Ultimately it is up to you. But imo it is not worth it atm.

PvP is not in bad shape, yes it needs some changes by far from bad shape. Wvw is still neglect.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The new expansion is likely within 6-7 months, possibly (though not likely) as early as 4 months.

Pre-purchasing however will likely begin within 2 months.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

You might want to be working on the things that would be helpful when the next expansion arrives. It will probably be 5-6 months before the next expansion.

This.

HoT provides you with elite specilizations that won’t ever be available outside of it. The new expansion will bring completely different elite specializations.

Furthermore, you will find more people on the HoT maps (including those of Living World Season 3) than on any of the core Tyria maps.

Good luck.

Something I have been wanting to ask you for quite some time now: Why do you end each of your posts with “Good luck”? It does make you sound a bit condescending, but maybe that’s just me.

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

PvP is not in bad shape, yes it needs some changes by far from bad shape. Wvw is still neglect.

PvP is a ghost town, it IS in a bad shape. Devs have no idea what they’re doing and how to go on.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

No.

Wait to see if proces drop or if next expac gets the HoT game since players who wanted HoT had to buy the full game again, if they do the same, probabaly the next GW2 game will have hot as well.

wait to see how the selling thing will be.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

PvP is a ghost town, it IS in a bad shape. Devs have no idea what they’re doing and how to go on.

How is it a ghost town? The only reason not as many are playing us because there is no season right now.

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

How is it a ghost town? The only reason not as many are playing us because there is no season right now.

so cute……

Sarcasm mode on: PVP and GW2 ,overall is as healthy as the forum. They are all full of players and very active. Yes!.
Sarcasm mode off.

I would not buy hot now if i were you.

(edited by Seyiwaji.4082)

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

We don’t have a release date for Expac 2 yet.

Furthermore, if they don’t buy HoT now, they cannot currently unlock Living World Season 3 and will have to buy that separately later, which is also costly. (Then again, LWS3 is almost over, so they will have to pay for that either way.)

In the end, it’s the OP’s decision. No need to quarrel over it.

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

Furthermore, if they don’t buy HoT now, they cannot currently unlock Living World Season 3 and will have to buy that separately later, which is also costly. (Then again, LWS3 is almost over, so they will have to pay for that either way.)

That’s not true – you only need HoT to play season 3, not to unlock it. Anyone who logged in at the appropriate time to unlock a chapter will be able to play it for free if they buy HoT at a later date.

My advice would be, if you’re not champing at the bit to play HoT, wait and buy the next expansion. As stated above, pre-purchase is likely to be along in a couple of months (at a guess, at or shortly after the release of the next chapter, so July/August) and that should also include HoT. Why pay twice when you don’t need to?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

That’s not true – you only need HoT to play season 3, not to unlock it. Anyone who logged in at the appropriate time to unlock a chapter will be able to play it for free if they buy HoT at a later date.

My advice would be, if you’re not champing at the bit to play HoT, wait and buy the next expansion. As stated above, pre-purchase is likely to be along in a couple of months (at a guess, at or shortly after the release of the next chapter, so July/August) and that should also include HoT. Why pay twice when you don’t need to?

I’m the other way around. I’d rather not have a double dose of masteries to level all at once time> I’d like my gliding masteries and living story masteries trained before the next expansion comes out.

Maybe some people are different, but I would find three sets of masteries all at the same time overwhelming.

Likewise I’d like autoloot unlocked before the new expansion came out.

Healix.5819

I’d rather not have a double dose of masteries to level all at once time> I’d like my gliding masteries and living story masteries trained before the next expansion comes out.

There’ll likely be at least 2 months between pre-purchase and launch.

Assuming their plans haven’t changed, anyone buying HoT right now will likely be refunded anyways, if they pre-purchase. Just don’t buy HoT from 3rd parties, since they’re not eligible. However, I’d expect them to drop their 1 box model when they announce the expansion.

Vayne.8563

I’d rather not have a double dose of masteries to level all at once time> I’d like my gliding masteries and living story masteries trained before the next expansion comes out.

Assuming their plans haven’t changed, anyone buying HoT right now will likely be refunded anyways, if they pre-purchase. Just don’t buy HoT from 3rd parties, since they’re not eligible. However, I’d expect them to drop their 1 box model when they announce the expansion.

I wouldn’t assume that people could get a refund if they buy now, and I’d be very scared to suggest it. My best guess is that the $30 to level that stuff before the expansion comes out would be worth it to me.

Stitch.1794

I’m the other way around. I’d rather not have a double dose of masteries to level all at once time> I’d like my gliding masteries and living story masteries trained before the next expansion comes out.

Maybe some people are different, but I would find three sets of masteries all at the same time overwhelming.

That’s a fair point, but what I was suggesting wouldn’t leave you dealing with three sets together. I would expect anyone who pre-purchases the 2nd expansion would get HoT straight away, so there’d be a few months between now and then to complete achievements for core mastery points even if the masteries themselves can’t be completed yet, then the time between pre-purchase and release (presumably at least a couple of month) to deal with HoT masteries before the 2nd expansion releases. Then again, I am making assumptions here, so nothing is guaranteed.

Stitch.1794

I wouldn’t assume that people could get a refund if they buy now, and I’d be very scared to suggest it. My best guess is that the $30 to level that stuff before the expansion comes out would be worth it to me.

Yeah, I’d be wary on expecting refunds. They happened last time because people were potentially misled into buying the core game – for the six months or so between HoT being announced and pre-purchase being available, the HoT FAQ stated that new players would need to buy the core game first to play the expansion. Assuming they stick to the same model this time, the correct information is already out there, so this time no-one is being misled into buying twice.

Vayne.8563

That’s a fair point, but what I was suggesting wouldn’t leave you dealing with three sets together. I would expect anyone who pre-purchases the 2nd expansion would get HoT straight away, so there’d be a few months between now and then to complete achievements for core mastery points even if the masteries themselves can’t be completed yet, then the time between pre-purchase and release (presumably at least a couple of month) to deal with HoT masteries before the 2nd expansion releases. Then again, I am making assumptions here, so nothing is guaranteed.

It’s just a lot of assumptions that I’m leery about. For all we know Anet will not include HOT and they’ll sell it at a very cheap price instead, making the price of HOT and the new expansion the price of the old one. No one really knows what’s going to happen.

I think it’s worth buying HoT if you’re a free to play player, just for the log in rewards between now and then though.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Do you think the Devs won’t honor what they stated previously about expansions?

Eeek, if they don’t, I think it will be another pre-expansion release bad press situation.

I suppose one never knows, but it doesn’t seem likely to me that they would want that bad press again.

Healix.5819

Yes. Why not, they’ve done it before with other things they’ve said in the past. They’ll simply say the usual, that plans change, it didn’t turn out as expected, it was bad for the game, etc. The only people that should actually be upset are those that waited so long with the expectation of getting it for free. People are going to complain regardless however, since some interpreted their original statement as meaning HoT would be F2P with the next expansion.

Personally, I doubt they’ll stick with their plan to include all past expansions, but they’ll likely keep the 1 box idea. There’s simply no reason to include them at this point because HoT isn’t actually required. The actual purpose of their 1 box model was to simply make it easier for new players to get in, but why include HoT and not the seasons? It’d probably be better to sell the boxes separately up front, rather than selling what people think is the full game, only to be expected to pay more once they realize the story is missing.

The obvious downside of this model, besides the constant complaining, are these topics. Why buy HoT when the next one is coming soon? Most people aren’t going to know about this model of course, until they find themselves screwed with the next expansion, such as those still buying from dlgamer.us. The 1 box model is always going to cause bad press.

The problem with moving HoT to the gem store or making it F2P however is that some people will stop paying. For many, HoT was likely the first time they actually spent more money on the game. How many people would simply play 2 years behind for free, though I’m guessing most would end up feeling the need to buy it now. The best hope for HoT however would be going F2P, since the maps were foolishly designed for an active population.

There was a leak a while back that suggested they were going to do yearly half priced expansions. That would be an obvious choice considering how only the initial launch of HoT had any impact on sales. With HoT dropping to $30 and their new plan to run the seasons and expansions back to back on the 2-3 month cycle, that may actually be true. The trick with the 1 box model is that they wouldn’t have to offer refunds if the price never changed; they’d simply upgrade you. So why drop it now, only a few months prior when 3rd parties did so over a year ago? If they do take this route however or simply continue with the style of season 3, flooding the game with new maps is going to be devastating to the population.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’ve seen that you’ve been touting this idea for quite some time. I just disagree. Seems odd there would be so many different editions of Guild Wars 2. Some purchases for the Core Game only, some Core Game + HoT, some HoT only, some Core Game + new expansion…and so forth with each expansion. But, who knows?

I still think ArenaNet would want to avoid the “You lied” bad press right before an expansion release that would likely affect sales.

Regardless, I guess we will find out in a couple of months, or so.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I still think ArenaNet would want to avoid the “You lied” bad press right before an expansion release that would likely affect sales.

Agreed. That would be terminally dumb of them. They really need for that new expac to sell well. They definitely don’t need any bad press, especially one they’d receive for something that would have been easy to avoid, and what would not give them any significant gains.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Vayne.8563

Eeek, if they don’t, I think it will be another pre-expansion release bad press situation.

I suppose one never knows, but it doesn’t seem likely to me that they would want that bad press again.

I think anyone that says something two years ago, can change their mind if the situation changes. It’s entire possible that saying to people we could have sold the expansion for 50 but we decided to sell it for 20 and not include HoT would mean people buying HoT and hte expansion are paying the same price as the expansion.

And some people will complain but of course, there are always people who complain. However most of us have already bought HOT so most of us are benefiting from that, thus good publicity.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Anything is possible. We will soon see.

I would avoid the ‘just another broken promise’ taint that would incur. But, I’m not ArenaNet. I’m sure they know best. =)

Vayne.8563

Anything is possible. We will soon see.

I would avoid the ‘just another broken promise’ taint that would incur. But, I’m not ArenaNet. I’m sure they know best. =)

No one cares if you break a promise that works out better for them. Like if you tell your kids you’re taking them to McDonalds and you take them to Disneyworld instead, they’re not likely to complain.

Anet told is straight out there would be no gliding in the core zones and then they implemented it.

And yes, there were some complaints over that, but they were dwarfed by the people who appreciated it.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, I’ve not heard anything about selling the expansion for $20 dollars, but as I said…anything is possible.

I thought they were still focused on bringing new players into the game. I would guess not, if that’s the case. /shrug

Posted by: JonnyForgotten.4276

JonnyForgotten.4276

I would say yes, get it at half price. If nothing else, the extra time to unlock masteries before the next xpac would probably be good, and the maps themselves are actually pretty impressive once you learn to navigate them. Plus, yeah, I would think there might be a pretty stiff population drop doing the HoT maps after the next xpac.

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

Don’t listen to the negative comments. I wish I had bought HOT sooner but it was $50 minimum. It’s only $30 now. It’s a game changer, and right now HOT maps are bustling 24/7 and it’s the perfect time to get all your masteries done, farm boxes, get easy hero points, prepare yourself for next expansion. There’s also lots of gold to be made in HOT maps when you get bored of always farming SW.

$30 is a steal,and your PVP experience will improve 10 fold with the strong elite specs. PVP isn’t dead, during seasons queues are like 1-3min max, and WVW usually always has a zerg or roam group. Yeah there are issues with PVP but every MMO has this, but this game has a massive population, easily top 5 MMO populations.

The new xpac would most likely not come out until the end of the year, that’s a long time to not be enjoying HOT before it may become a bit more quite when the xpac hits. $30 is a no brainer, just buy it if you enjoy this game because HOT makes it a lot more better.

Posted by: plushiesoda.8150

plushiesoda.8150

HoT for 30$ worth it? definitely, don’t even doubt it if you can afford it

while expansions on mmorg are an stupid blizzard-ripoff-model that shouldn’t exist (there’re LOTS of better ways to get our money than locking out new content behind a new paywall in order to “stay competitive” [please read, observe, analyze this statement before opening your mouth and misunderstanding… as some people seem to love… sigh) 30$ is a fair price, even at this point of the expansion

However you’ll be missing chapters 1-4 of the L.W. season 3 I believe, but it isn’t that hard to earn the gold for it, just with the log in rewards.

Besides, chances are that HoT maps are going to receive a huge lose of population after the next expansion kicks out, even right now some meta events require you to use the LFG tool to find a “populated” map.

I just hope they don’t get greedy again on the next expansion… 30~35$ is a fair price for an expansion, even if the game doesn’t have monthly fees…

Inculpatus cedo.9234

HoT for 30$ worth it? definitely, don’t even doubt it if you can afford it

while expansions on mmorg are an stupid blizzard-ripoff-model that shouldn’t exist (there’re LOTS of better ways to get our money than locking out new content behind a new paywall in order to “stay competitive” [please read, observe, analyze this statement before opening your mouth and misunderstanding… as some people seem to love… sigh) 30$ is a fair price, even at this point of the expansion

However you’ll be missing chapters 1-4 of the L.W. season 3 I believe, but it isn’t that hard to earn the gold for it, just with the log in rewards.

Besides, chances are that HoT maps are going to receive a huge lose of population after the next expansion kicks out, even right now some meta events require you to use the LFG tool to find a “populated” map.

I just hope they don’t get greedy again on the next expansion… 30~35$ is a fair price for an expansion, even if the game doesn’t have monthly fees…

If the OP has been logging in, he/she will not have to purchase any of Living World Season Three Episodes, as logging in unlocks them whether one owns Heart of Thorns or not.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Bzzt. Nope. When you own the base game you unlock LS3 just by logging in to your account, even if you do not have HOT at the time. For example, my second account just has the base game but should have all of LS3 available if they give us base accounts HOT when they start selling the 2nd expansion.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

For example, my second account just has the base game but should have all of LS3 available if they give us base accounts HOT when they start selling the 2nd expansion.

They won’t. HoT will be bundled with the next expac at no additional cost, but it won’t be given away for free.
Or at least that’s the current Anet policy, and nothing they did suggests they might change it (especially seeing as it would be of no benefit to them).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

For example, my second account just has the base game but should have all of LS3 available if they give us base accounts HOT when they start selling the 2nd expansion.

They won’t. HoT will be bundled with the next expac at no additional cost, but it won’t be given away for free.
Or at least that’s the current Anet policy, and nothing they did suggests they might change it (especially seeing as it would be of no benefit to them).

Have they actually said one way or the other? Remember we have no history to go on, this will be the first time a GW2 expansion is released when there is another out in the wild.

Me? If I had to guess I would guess the other way actually. When they were selling HOT what happened? Their existing content went FTP showing they knew the $$ was in the new stuff but they needed the old stuff on computers for it to work. From a programming point of view it is also MUCH easier if everyone is always on 2 releases rather than on n! (or is that n!-n) releases.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

Personally I’d still get it now, especially if you find it for a good price. As that way you’ll have time to explore, do the story and unlock stuff, get masteries etc, before the new expansion comes out. Otherwise if you decide to get the new expansion when it’s launched and haven’t done HoT then you’ll probably end up months behind by the time you actually get around to the content in the new expansion anyway.

Plus having a glider is instantly fun anyway And assuming gliding will still be a thing in the new expansion, then having maxed your gliding mastery track will be helpful for getting around.

Healix.5819

Have they actually said one way or the other?

It was said shortly after the initial backlash in their business model clarification.

Their existing content went FTP showing they knew the $$ was in the new stuff but they needed the old stuff on computers for it to work.

According to the quarterly report, going F2P was essentially done for advertising purposes. They were disappointed in the lack of HoT upgrades from F2P.

Posted by: BrunoPuntzJones.5348

BrunoPuntzJones.5348

I’ve got a similar question, not worth its own thread. I bought the base game a few years ago, so I’m not F2P. No characters to 80 yet – highest is in the 50s, just came back, slowly exploring and getting up to 80. Should I just take my time and enjoy the game and wait to buy HoT, see if it drops below $30 on the way to the new expansion? It seems obvious that once you’re at 80 HoT is worth it, but is it worth it beforehand?

Healix.5819

It seems obvious that once you’re at 80 HoT is worth it, but is it worth it beforehand?

If you really wanted to, you could use the level 80 booster and unlock gliding for your account. Other than that, there’s no reason to buy HoT if you already have a paid account and are not 80.

Should I just take my time and enjoy the game and wait to buy HoT, see if it drops below $30 on the way to the new expansion?

From ArenaNet, the price isn’t going to change. From 3rd parties however, it is currently and has always been cheaper, but I wouldn’t recommend it at this point, since it would actually end up being more expensive if they offer refunds again.

The next expansion will likely be revealed with or shortly after episode 6, which is only about a month away. HoT will likely be discontinued at that point, and replaced with pre-purchasing.

Posted by: BrunoPuntzJones.5348

BrunoPuntzJones.5348

So if I wanted to insta-80 myself (and get that shared inventory slot as well I guess) to unlock Gliding, it’d be worth it to throw the $30 in. I wish the extra character slot came with the basic HoT, it’d make it a much easier decision. So I guess I’ll just wait for the last episode or getting to 80, whichever comes first, and see where things are then. Good to know they won’t be lowering the price anymore, I thought they’d lower it to $15 or something once the new expansion was out to try to get more people to pay beforehand.

So the plan is for pre-purchasing the new expansion to unlock all HoT content? Interesting.

I won’t buy from…“disreputable” vendors, I got burned before on that.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No one knows for sure what will be happening. We can only go by what was stated: That Heart of Thorns would be included in the new expansion pack. The price may or may not drop.

It is smart not to buy from ‘disreputable’ vendors, but the Authorized Resellers do offer discounts above and beyond what ArenaNet offers, at times.

Good luck.

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Anet should really start mentioning anything offical about the new expansion… Without the leak I would have completley forgotten that there is something coming.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

well, at this stage you could wait 2-7-ish months for the next expansion, then HoT will be included for free. Only downside will be that the jungle might feel very empty when you play HoT when everyone else in the crys- somewhere else