"Iterate" the rest of HOT HPs

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Is this a forum bug? All of the posts disappeared and not even a way to navigate to the first page if my post pushed us over.

edit: yes, filing bug report

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Agree with the OP. Champs at hero points need to go away, if you’re the only person there. Make them either vets or elites if you’re the only one around when you activate it (elites might still be too much though).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Menadena.7482

As has been said, those of us with plenty of characters (which has always been encouraged) are the ones hurt the most. If it was one character it would at least be doable but I am guessing my guild would eventually lose patience when asking to go on a HP train for every one of my characters.

As I said, it is also frustrating because some characters I had NEVER intended to take to the new maps. I only have 2 of my characters that actually like the SW, most do not last 5 minutes there.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

They need to add some type of reward for doing hero points more than once. The issue is that many people will simply farm those hero points non-stop unless ANET somehow limits this. Not sure really what can be done other than reducing all champs to vets. Kinda bummer for ANET as they wanted the experience to be epic.

Map currency.

Posted by: Exemplar.1479

Exemplar.1479

The HP’s are fine. I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

If you’re asking for help during the Tarir Meta then OF COURSE you’re going to have a hard time getting it…people are trying to learn and do the new meta event!

The HP’s are not overly difficult, overly ridiculous, or anything of the sort.

I have literally finished 6 of the new specs in the past 4 days (almost one a day) by simply getting all the commune Hero Points in Verdant Brink, one of the Communes right inside the entrance of Tangled Depths, and calling for help on the other challenging Hero Points. 6 out of 8 of my characters have all of their elite spec fully unlocked, and 5 of those characters didn’t even have Brisban Wildlands so I had to walk over to the Silverwastes first (which isn’t a big deal). Most of these points I acquired by just running solo for all the ones I know can be solo’d, and then asking in map chat (or say if a person was standing nearby) and then starting the group HP.

They don’t need dumbed down, they don’t need difficulty lowered. People DO come and help with them…or else I’d have not finished all those specs that quickly.

If you seriously can’t get people in your map to help (which honestly boggles my mind) then ask a guildie or a friend?

I wouldn’t mind an increased or altered reward as incentive for helping at a Hero Point after having already completed it. That seems fairly reasonable, as long as it isn’t too much or too little.

There are all kinds of strengths, but if you have strength of soul the others will follow.
Guardian Greatsword/Symbol Nerf – Please Adjust It.

(edited by Exemplar.1479)

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

I just finished the elite spec on my third character, 1st Necro, 2nd Ranger, and now Revenant. And I’m pretty burnt out on trying to group up for challenges. Before HoT launched, I was pretty excited about Chronomancer, but now I think I’m going to shelve that one, perhaps even permanently.

Completing these challenges is not difficult. As someone posted above, the challenges are not gated by skill. They’re gated by the number of people present to complete them.

As I suggested earlier, if we could select the difficulty level for HP challenges, everyone would be happy. Solo’ers could have a solo challenge, and grouped folks could have theirs too. Everyone wins.

(edited by Spiral Architect.6540)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Well I eventually want to do map completion on all of my characters. I could potentially host and lead several HP runs. I’d just need to take a look at Dulfy’s guide to figure out the most efficient route to do them in.

We could also start a thread specifically for players looking to group up and do these. Ideally it should be someone who wouldn’t mind organizing these runs. It could be like the dungeon mentor thread in a way.

You could even create a guild specifically for map HP help. You can set up specific times that the guild will run various maps and then players could set up impromptu runs. I could create one if there’s enough interest but don’t necessarily want to be the one maintaining it.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Mega server means there’ll be people on the map. .

does not seam to be working in the new maps, as they seam empty most of the time, and you continually get the notification to move to a more populated map (which is also empty) and lose your map participation bonus if you do…..

It is not working as intended in the Magus Falls/HoT maps, whether or not the one fix that has been put it in corrected the entire problem or only a portion of it I don’t know, but apparently it’s still and issue so what ever ArenaNet did didn’t completely fix the issue and hopefully they’re still working on correcting this.

I also think that a lot of people are doing the Halloween event and haven’t bothered to venture into the new HoT zones yet, but that’s just conjecture.

Personally I don’t have an issue with the HP’s as none of my characters need that many HP’s tp unlock the Elite Spec as most of them had approximately 190-200 HP’s from Core Tyria already stockpiled(of course that excludes the potential Revenant and any future possible new classes they might add, if that is the case). Then I only go after the commune HP’s or the soloable ones, of which there are sufficient numbers…should I ever desire zone completion, then I might say otherwise, but for now that isn’t on the table.

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

Posted by: Danis.2609

Danis.2609

The solution is pretty simple. Let the HOT Hero Challenges alone and make the Tyrian Hero Challenges worth 2 points or 3 points each.

Then you can complete the Hero Challenges in Tyria if needed for the elite spec.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Mega server means there’ll be people on the map. .

does not seam to be working in the new maps, as they seam empty most of the time, and you continually get the notification to move to a more populated map (which is also empty) and lose your map participation bonus if you do…..

Which won’t happen if no one is doing it. If no one is doing it, there’ll be one server and everyone will be on it. The message comes up when there are lots of servers and people leave.

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

I have literally finished 6 of the new specs in the past 4 days (almost one a day)

Some of us have jobs and can’t play 12 hours a day.

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

make the Tyrian Hero Challenges worth 2 points or 3 points each.

<ironic> Great idea! I really want to have 750 remaining points at the end of Heart of Thorns, so I can unlock the three next elite spec without playing at all…

Central Tyria is worth 80% of Elite Spec now.
With ONLY FIVE Magus Falls challenges you fill the remaining.
There are a dozen of soloable challenge in HoT.

You want to solo, it’s already possible. Move your “behind part” and stop whining!

Posted by: Mina.2409

Mina.2409

Fortunately on most of my alts I have 100% map complete pre HoT, so it does not take many HPs to get my elite specs on them. Unfortunately, there are some I do not have map complete on, and for those it is taking longer and the experience has shifted from fun and challenging new stuff to just tiresome. I can definitely relate, but I guess it is my choice to make and level so many characters, so I can’t complain too much…

Posted by: Alone.1784

Alone.1784

So i’m writing this while sitting at Nightthistle Bloom HP waiting about 20 minutes for anyone else to show up with my mentor tag on and spamming map and thinking about how this is the absolute worst expansion I’ve ever played in my life. Just thought i’d check in to all those people who claimed to come help people with HPs because they sure aren’t on my map.

Also adding evade frames and stupid amounts of damage isn’t how you make challenging AI.

Posted by: StaticX.7695

StaticX.7695

So i’m writing this while sitting at Nightthistle Bloom HP waiting about 20 minutes for anyone else to show up with my mentor tag on and spamming map and thinking about how this is the absolute worst expansion I’ve ever played in my life. Just thought i’d check in to all those people who claimed to come help people with HPs because they sure aren’t on my map.

Also adding evade frames and stupid amounts of damage isn’t how you make challenging AI.

Post an LFG? Change maps? Ask your guildies? Ask people on your friend’s list? Wait a couple hours and message me and I’ll help you? Seriously dude, it’s not like anyone in the game owes you their help. If people don’t want to do it, you can’t scoff and them or anyone else and get all bitter about not being able to do something. The more I see people spamming for help, the less inclined I am to help them. Personally, there’s only one hero point in any of the new maps that I’ve had problems getting people to help me with, and that was the one in Tangled Depths (Vampiric something or other, spawns a champ spider I think).

I posted an LFG and moved on to the next one. By the time I got to the next one, someone had joined and we duo’ed it. We then proceeded to go through all the ones in TD, AB and VB so we could both get masteries.

It wasn’t rocket science, it look about 2-3 hours together clearing all of em. However yea, if you’re on a map that’s trying to do the meta event, duh? Of course no one is going to help you. They’re BUSY. It’s not anet’s fault for creating this content, most people love the way they did this. I mean most people were actually annoyed they reduced the HP cost to 250 from 400. It became far too easy to get elite specs. Couple hours a night since release and I’m just about done with all my alts. It became disappointing that it was so easy to complete it.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

If you find yourself not enjoying getting the next Elite Spec I would suggest you do something different and take a break from HPs – you won’t die at the end of the month if they’re not all done – do what you enjoy and you’ll enjoy what you’re doing.

Also try LFG or your friends – I did a few mastery points with friends earlier and we had a great time gliding about (I even got to make up for my terrible jumping abilities by doing a few portal rescues). Exploring as a team can be fun and you won’t be stuck when you can’t manage a HP on your own.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I won’t say you’re lying but I’ve yet to wait more than a couple of minutes at any hero point at any time of day on any map.

Posted by: imbalancedhero.3968

imbalancedhero.3968

Hey guys,

I agree with both sides of the argument. I like the fact that the hero challenges are hard but also agree that people shouldnt have to waste 20 minutes looking for others interested in the same HP.

There is I beleive a good solution to this (though I dont know how easy it would be for Arenanet to implement it), and that is Guild Missions!!

Perhaps have it on a random weekly rotation with something like this:
Easy mission: complete 1 combat based HP challenge in 5 minutes or less
Medium mission: complete 3 combat based HP challenges in 10 minutes or less
Hard mission: complete 5 combat based HP challenges in 12 minutes or less

This will encourage people to redo hero points to earn guild favors, people who still need the hero points will find help easily, and people in very small guilds can earn favor.

TADAAA!!!

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Just tonight, I wanted to do Chak HP and asked in map chat while meta event was going on. Didn’t get any responses other than someone saying that more are needed at meta event. Like a passive-aggressive way of saying, “Don’t help with HP, come help with events.”

This is why they should not have maps with both map-wide Metas AND anything else you could be doing instead.

If you’re on the map, you should be focused on the meta, and only on the meta. If you have other things you could be doing, like story, exploration, HPs, etc., then there should never be map-wide metas going on. They screwed this up with Silverwastes, and doubled down on this bad idea with all the HoT maps. Hopefully they’ll have learned their lesson by the next map they release.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I bet OP is one of those people who asks for help at an HP and never tells people where it actually is or how to get to it. (OMG HELP AT GUANO HP!)

Or OP is one of those people who spams for help at an HP during a big meta event. (There is plenty of gap between the major events where people are free to help with stuff)

You can kill a champ HP effectively with three people. All you need is two more people other than yourself.

If you’re asking for help at appropriate times, during times when people are actually playing, and helping people get to you who maybe don’t know all the content by name since it’s totally new content, then you shouldn’t have a problem with HPs.

And you’ve got a mentor tag to boot. Sometimes I have to wait up to 5 minutes to get help on an HP, but people always do come when I pop my tag and ping the nearest waypoint or landmark. OP must be doing map chat wrong.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

And you’ve got a mentor tag to boot. Sometimes I have to wait up to 5 minutes to get help on an HP, but people always do come when I pop my tag and ping the nearest waypoint or landmark. OP must be doing map chat wrong.

The very first words of this thread:

So the last few days I’ve thrown on a mentor tag and spammed map chat for up to 20 minutes to get 2 to 3 other people to join me for these Champion hero points.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Destabilizator.2789

Destabilizator.2789

Tbh all that’s needed is no timer if only 1-2 ppl atk the Champion. It’ll take a while and you’ll have to be on your toes, but doable. Start the timer appropriate to current HP if more ppl join the fight, that way you keep the challenge.

Vertor et revertor.

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Hero challenges should never be forced group content, you need them for elite specs and map completion. Requiring you to depend on the whims of other players to do something that the rest of the game let you do by yourself is bad game design.

I agree 100%

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Hero challenges should never be forced group content, you need them for elite specs and map completion. Requiring you to depend on the whims of other players to do something that the rest of the game let you do by yourself is bad game design.

I agree 100%

Yeah totally agree.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

I have honestly not had any trouble with this. The longest I have had to wait for an HP is maybe five minutes on the golem one in VB, and that’s including me going to the way point I pinged in map chat when asking for assistance so that I could show two people how to get to it.

Edit: I don’t even have a tag

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

I’m working on my 10th elite now, which is boring as hell anyway. I want to get it over with, to finally enjoy the new content. I still have some characters to go. (Yeah i know it’s MY fault that I gave Anet enough money for 25 slots… but it’s not my fault that I get punished for it now by having to do the same boring nonsense over and over again)

Anyways… The first few times it was okay, everyone was busy getting their heropoints. But with every more character I had to bring through the begging began. I’ve even been waiting for a group for Balthi HP for 2(!) hours. That’s everything but fun.
Then, the maps feel dead. Every starting area, even Sparkfly Fen has a more vivid mapchat after Teq died. IF you ask for help you either get no answer, or people that answer stuff like: Noob, help urself.

If you don’t have someone at hand that helps you, if he needs the HP or not, or if you don’t accidently run into a HP train it is anything but fun to ‘grind’ them.

So I still suggest that either the needed cost for the elites is decreased to 120pts, or HPs should be soloable. Once everyone has done them it’ll become even worse.

Not to mention that the scaling is simply impossible. Do a HP with 2 or 3 people, it can be done in ~30secs, do it with 5+ and it scales up so hard that you need minutes to kill the champ plopping out of the HP challenge. If there happens to be an event nearby (if someone is actually doing it that is…) it doesn’t get better.

I don’t feel motivated knowing that I have to grind on… The only thing I know is, that I will never ever buy an additional slot anymore. What’ll be in the next addon? Another elite spec with another insane 250 points grind up that will take weeks to do? No thanks really…

Trahearne <3

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

I will always, and very happy to, help with any HP shout out in map chat. Add me to your friends list and ping me when I’m in-game.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

(Yeah i know it’s MY fault that I gave Anet enough money for 25 slots… but it’s not my fault that I get punished for it now by having to do the same boring nonsense over and over again)

No, it actually is. You chose to have that many characters. You’re not being punished, you’re just subject to more of the same than most people due to your choices. You’ve consistently had to deal with the consequences of this choice throughout the life of the game, so why should this be any different?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I have 34 level 80 characters, and as one might expect from someone who has leveled that many of them, I really don’t mind the process.

So it goes with unlocking elites, which, aside from exploring and catching up on Season Two, is mainly what I’ve been doing in the Heart of Maguuma. I’ve actually been having fun unlocking the elites and have made a sort of minigame of it.

The only issue is group-only hero challenges, which are getting harder to get people together for as more and more players have already done them and the opportunity cost of not doing meta events runs rather high.

I don’t want or expect anyone to drop what they’re doing for me, so I work around the problems with the current system as best I can.

It’s not going to get better over time, so I really think ArenaNet needs to make hero challenges scale properly from solo through groups of any size, and be genuinely challenging at any scale.

There simply isn’t a reasonable argument against doing so.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

My most hated thing about HoT as of right now is these group hero points. They should have been made account bound or solo. One or the other. I get it, we wanted challenging content but not like this. I don’t want to spend hours (accumulated) waiting around to get help with hero points. Then to go and do it over and over again.

Posted by: Mina.2409

Mina.2409

One thing i noticed since this was posted was that there are many HP trains going on. They are going through all the new maps and its pretty fast. (I merged with one at one point getting a hp and finished the map with them.) May be a useful solution for anyone that is having trouble finding help.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I wait at Hero Challenges all the time. My time was usually in the 5-10 minute range, but it’s still frustrating to have to stop, go do something else in RL, hoping to come back and find people doing the same challenge I need.

This is a new experience in this game and I don’t like it. Asking for help in map chat has worked for me exactly 2 times. The rest? No response. Doesn’t matter what time of day it is because I have tried at a wide variety of times.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I have 34 level 80 characters, and as one might expect from someone who has leveled that many of them, I really don’t mind the process.

So it goes with unlocking elites, which, aside from exploring and catching up on Season Two, is mainly what I’ve been doing in the Heart of Maguuma. I’ve actually been having fun unlocking the elites and have made a sort of minigame of it.

The only issue is group-only hero challenges, which are getting harder to get people together for as more and more players have already done them and the opportunity cost of not doing meta events runs rather high.

I don’t want or expect anyone to drop what they’re doing for me, so I work around the problems with the current system as best I can.

It’s not going to get better over time, so I really think ArenaNet needs to make hero challenges scale properly from solo through groups of any size, and be genuinely challenging at any scale.

There simply isn’t a reasonable argument against doing so.

Well stated.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

He can stack WvW tokens, buy HP trigger, and unlock them without doing the content…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

He can stack WvW tokens, buy HP trigger, and unlock them without doing the content…

Could, yes. It’s a nice option for WvW folks.

But, that doesn’t stand as an excuse to allow bad game design, so those hero points still need to be changed.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Group challenges for rewards that can be gained repeatedly only if on an alt who has not done them is an ill-considered design choice. Over time, the lack of incentive to repeat the content will mean that players with less time and late adopters will have a hard time finding players willing to come and help. Since I’m likely to be a late adopter of HoT, it’s my hope that Anet will change these one-time (per character) exploration challenges sooner or later.

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

There is absolutely no need to make any of the hero-points easier than they already are.

I’ve done every single on of them without asking for help.
Occasionally players turned up but I mainly soloed most of them.

With some I struggled bit more and had to adapt my build but I overcome it.

All the whine here is just L2P issue.

Edit: The one Hero Point I’m missing is Krait Obelisk Shard which got bugged when I collected it on my Revenant.

Attachments:

Menadena.7482

I bought HOT specifically for the elites as that is what they advertised heavily. Taking the best guesses of people I made sure each of my characters was above 100 points (well, not counting the revenant created after the release) to give myself a safety margin. Despite what people are saying map completion is, what, 179 points. SW, DT, and the WVW maps are not part of world completion.

I wanted to explore the new maps with the new classes they advertised. It seemed only fitting. Instead I first need to grind out around 15 of the new points per character (after a mastery grind of course) and maybe half of the new points for my revenant.

How is this ‘fun’ by anyone’s definition? There is also the problem that GW2 is not my life 24/7 … I need to do this odd thing called work.

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

I currently am working on elite spec number 6 (Daredevil) and have found the task to be tedious, though ANET did get a huge kudos from me for lowering the amount needed.

What I have found is that by having to focus so much on getting Hero Points, I do pass by meta events. If I stopped to do them, it would take five times as long to get the elite spec completed. Once I have all my specs completed, I’ll start focusing on the events.

One benefit of having to level alts is the mastery track fills up more quickly than normal. I play casually (maybe an hour or or so a day, more on weekends), and am at level 16 in mastery. I know there are many who are much, much further in masteries, but I feel I’m on a decent pace.

Posted by: Valiant.5078

Valiant.5078

If you have two other friends, any HP is do-able. Ask your guild too.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

HP should scale better. That’s all the problem there is.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Get friends, do the hero points.

Maybe, who knows you’ll actually find someone or a group of people you enjoy playing with. Which is the entire point of those challenges. They aren’t designed as solo content. The jungle was designed as group content from the group up.

Oh, put a sock in the passive-aggressive “be more social” mantra. I’ve been playing this game for over a year now (albeit with a few breaks), I’ve done almost entirely open world content, and in all of that “group” content, I probably have an actual conversation 1 out of every 1,000 events, if that.

Most of it is “thanks” for rezzes, if that, or “thanks for the help” (and variations of) if people help each other out on a HP. Unless you go out of your way to go in teamspeak or something, the game isn’t even friendly for getting to know people in open world because the nature of event chains means that much of your time spent is killing, surviving, and running to the next event. Time for typing out words for long conversations is rare. Voice chat is far easier to talk in while playing, but the game itself does not encourage this in any way.

So don’t give people crap about making friends, as if they are asocial losers. The so-called “group” content (90% of the events and virtually every HP) doesn’t even require social interaction. It just requires the presence of other players.

Don’t conflate social and group because, believe it or not, they are not the same thing in this context. Raids will be a different story, I’m sure, and raids are true social group content. Open world content in this game provides a feeling of solidarity. That’s most of what it does.

So let me get this straight you really don’t get that if you have friends you can get those “Hard Hero Points” done ?

Gotcha, funny how people want hard content then are so very quick to want it nerfed to the floor. Either get friends or get good enough to solo the content

Don’t tell someone to Get Better™ and find more people to play with if you’re not also offering to help them.

Doesn’t seem like any of them are asking for help. All i see is the straight out refusal to participate as a group and the demand that Anet change content so they can solo it.

Maybe if they’d ask people would help. Just sayin’

When someone says they sat around asking map chat for help, it does kind of sound like they are ya know asking for help. Just saying.