Just Finished HoT and...

Just Finished HoT and...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

1. Once in mission you cannot get out until completion?

That’s how all missions work since 2012

2. Tried no less than three times to get through it and . . . wait for it . . . even used you tube video to try and nope not even close.

Which part gave you trouble? The puzzle?

3. That’s 45 minutes each time of my life I cant get back for complete frustration. Not allowed to start over just in case something got missed.

If you were killed at a certain part then you don’t have to start over but instead get back to that fight until you finish it. How did you manage to spend 45 minutes each time?

Might be helpful:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22Where%27s_Balthazar%22

Just Finished HoT and...

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Considering how many mastery points come from just doing the story and communing with points on the map, I’m having trouble believing you couldn’t make progress at all, at least to get through the story.

There are several communes in VB alone, two of them you only need basic gliding to get to, and you get a point for that, just by doing the first story, which you need to unlock masteries in the first place. I honestly think you made this harder than it was.

I can see being confused for a few days, maybe, but months? I’m not really sure how that’s possible.

That could very well be an issue with the system in that, through confusion, a user unintentionally makes it more difficult on themselves. It also doesn’t help that the later map is particularly convoluted so aiming to get the map point masteries could be something unobtainable until later.

Since it’s been around a year since I got over the issue, I can’t recall the particular roadblock I found or made for myself but it did force me to take a break for a long while. And considering it is possible to blow points on something you think you might need and not everyone goes and reads guides (at least at first), it’s not a perfect system, not even close.

As far as how someone could be stumped for months, it’s likely the whole “play how you want” mentality of the game, i.e. playing the content you actually want to play, not the stuff that annoys or frustrates you. Granted, I’ve learned to just deal with a different level of BS (similar to how Orr used to feel like BS but is a walk in the park now…but Tangled Depths isn’t really a parallel), but there were definitely hurdles to that adjustment.

Just Finished HoT and...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Considering how many mastery points come from just doing the story and communing with points on the map, I’m having trouble believing you couldn’t make progress at all, at least to get through the story.

There are several communes in VB alone, two of them you only need basic gliding to get to, and you get a point for that, just by doing the first story, which you need to unlock masteries in the first place. I honestly think you made this harder than it was.

I can see being confused for a few days, maybe, but months? I’m not really sure how that’s possible.

That could very well be an issue with the system in that, through confusion, a user unintentionally makes it more difficult on themselves. It also doesn’t help that the later map is particularly convoluted so aiming to get the map point masteries could be something unobtainable until later.

Since it’s been around a year since I got over the issue, I can’t recall the particular roadblock I found or made for myself but it did force me to take a break for a long while. And considering it is possible to blow points on something you think you might need and not everyone goes and reads guides (at least at first), it’s not a perfect system, not even close.

As far as how someone could be stumped for months, it’s likely the whole “play how you want” mentality of the game, i.e. playing the content you actually want to play, not the stuff that annoys or frustrates you. Granted, I’ve learned to just deal with a different level of BS (similar to how Orr used to feel like BS but is a walk in the park now…but Tangled Depths isn’t really a parallel), but there were definitely hurdles to that adjustment.

I agree that that game requires more of you. I’m of the opinion games should require more of you though. That’s probably the difference between us.

The core zones seem very mundane to me now, and I spend a good part of my time in HoT or LS Season 3 zones. But people making stuff hard for themselves is not really something you can program around

Anet has more than once said they want the community to come together to figure stuff out. They even said this is Guild Wars 1 during the Hearts of the North scenario in the War in Kryta.

Hell could you imagine search each week for Nick the Traveler when he moves? No, because there was no way one person could find it. The game was designed for the community to play.

That’s been the design of this game from day one So if you’re confused and you don’t ask for help or join a helpful guild. I’m not sure how you can blame the game.

Just Finished HoT and...

Posted by: Rennie.6750

Rennie.6750

Yes I agree I’m not done with everything yet and it makes me regretting buying this game so much right now… The maps are a chore to play and to navigate around. The story missions are boring and tedious, and the jumping puzzle ones (like prized possession) made me willing to throw my computer out through the window. After doing it I was really feeling like kittenslapping the guys who made and approved this for like an hour or two, it was that bad. I have sadly bought the new PoF expansion too and if it’s the same kind of content well that’ll be one less player, i’ll quit without any hesitation.

Just Finished HoT and...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yes I agree I’m not done with everything yet and it makes me regretting buying this game so much right now… The maps are a chore to play and to navigate around. The story missions are boring and tedious, and the jumping puzzle ones (like prized possession) made me willing to throw my computer out through the window. After doing it I was really feeling like kittenslapping the guys who made and approved this for like an hour or two, it was that bad. I have sadly bought the new PoF expansion too and if it’s the same kind of content well that’ll be one less player, i’ll quit without any hesitation.

If you’re on a US server, I’d be happy to help you.

Just Finished HoT and...

Posted by: symke.3105

symke.3105

Stick with it. It will get better.
At least, that’s what I’ve been telling myself. But the road to there will be long and tedious. I am still doing HOT and LS3 maps, but I already know Tangled depths will have a special place in my memory for a long time. And it will not be a pleasant one.

The entire zone is basically a jumping puzzle. I imagine that hose that like them feel a pleasant tingling in their nether region when they enter the zone, while to those that don’t like jumping puzzles, it often represents a feeling of dread and misery at the thought of “having” to do anything in it.

Just yesterday I joined a HP run. It started great. I mean, we even had one player leading and dropping icons for others to follow. Well, by the time we reached the first HP, we already lost some players as it was unclear where all those glowing effects went. Three of us stopped to rezz a fellow player and by the time we were done, we lost the sight of the group. Luckily we were able to locate them quickly, as they were standing on a ledge not far away. We managed to figure out we need to use two updrafts and voila .. the group is already moving away while we are trying to get there and commune with the HP. By the time we were done, we lost the sight of the group, again. But this time, we weren’t able to see them. We could see dots on the map, but are they above us or under us? And HOW did they get to where they were? Did they use updraft, mushroom or Nuhoch wallow? Or maybe some combination of those?

Forget about using the map. It has four levels in a zone that has none. It shows a road ahead of you even if it is in another level, but it doesn’t show which level it is in.
I imagine there are some tricks to decipher those maps that I haven’t mastered yet, but to make map reading the most tedious thing to do in a game, is a bit off-putting.

I know I will eventually reach 100% map completion, but Tangled depths and maybe some other zone I have yet to discover, will make that experience a considerably less pleasurable experiance as it could (and should) have been.

Just Finished HoT and...

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

At least, that’s what I’ve been telling myself. But the road to there will be long and tedious. I am still doing HOT and LS3 maps, but I already know Tangled depths will have a special place in my memory for a long time. And it will not be a pleasant one.

The map isn’t as useless as you think. You probably just aren’t used to needing to use the map markers the way you need to in TD.

For instance, take a closer look at the markers for cave entrances/exits and ramps. They have up or down arrows on them. These arrows indicate a shift in the map layer. Knowing this you can much more easily follow the pathways in TD by using the map.

Try it! Take a look at the cave marker south of Order of Whispers waypoint using the third map layer. It shows an up arrow indicating a transition point between the current layer you’re viewing and the one above it.

You will also notice that on the third layer the path from Order of Whispers waypoint is obscured by the path that connects the cave system containing the Troll champion hero challenge to the Order of Whispers outpost POI. However, when you view this same area in the top map layer you instead see a clear path from Order of Whispers waypoint to the cave entrance marker. The marker is telling you to switch from the third layer to the layer above it to view the correct path.

You will notice many such markers throughout the map with arrows indicating map transitions. These include ramps, stairs, caves, and even arrows all by themselves.

The other marker to pay close attention to are the Nuhoch Wallows. They have arrows corresponding to the wallow they connect to. For instance, look to the south of Order of Whispers waypoint. You will see a wallow marker pointing northeast to another wallow in the undergrowth connector. Just east of that wallow is another wallow that points to a wallow located right next to Teku Nuhoch waypoint.

You can tell which layer a wallow is on because it will appear transparent when you are viewing a different layer. In this way you can tell that the wallow east of where you teleported into the undergrowth connector is above you and you will know to take the upward path to reach it. This same trick applies to the marked roads themselves. When viewed on a different layer they appear transparent.

If you look at the positions of the various wallows you will notice something else that’s important to know. The wallows for each camp (ogre, teku nuhoch, rata novus, and scar) correspond to the “lanes” where the meta occurs, making it easy for players to waypoint to a camp and then wallow straight into the end of the lane they wish to join for the meta.

Knowing this makes it a lot easier to use the map to navigate TD. However, many objectives are still hidden off the marked pathways with no indication of how to reach them. That’s where the real exploration challenge comes in, and unfortunately there’s no other way than to simply explore.

It might help to keep an eye out for pathways that aren’t marked. Chances are that pathway leads to an objective of some sort. For instance, if you wander west from Teku Nuhoch you’ll see a cave with an HP marked on the map nearby. There’s no road leading to the HP, but if you just walk into that cave you’ll find it. Of course, other objectives will be a little trickier to find!

Just Finished HoT and...

Posted by: symke.3105

symke.3105

The map isn’t as useless as you think. You probably just aren’t used to needing to use the map markers the way you need to in TD.

For instance, take a closer look at the markers for cave entrances/exits and ramps. They have up or down arrows on them. These arrows indicate a shift in the map layer. Knowing this you can much more easily follow the pathways in TD by using the map.

Try it! Take a look at the cave marker south of Order of Whispers waypoint using the third map layer. It shows an up arrow indicating a transition point between the current layer you’re viewing and the one above it.

You will also notice that on the third layer the path from Order of Whispers waypoint is obscured by the path that connects the cave system containing the Troll champion hero challenge to the Order of Whispers outpost POI. However, when you view this same area in the top map layer you instead see a clear path from Order of Whispers waypoint to the cave entrance marker. The marker is telling you to switch from the third layer to the layer above it to view the correct path.

You will notice many such markers throughout the map with arrows indicating map transitions. These include ramps, stairs, caves, and even arrows all by themselves.

The other marker to pay close attention to are the Nuhoch Wallows. They have arrows corresponding to the wallow they connect to. For instance, look to the south of Order of Whispers waypoint. You will see a wallow marker pointing northeast to another wallow in the undergrowth connector. Just east of that wallow is another wallow that points to a wallow located right next to Teku Nuhoch waypoint.

You can tell which layer a wallow is on because it will appear transparent when you are viewing a different layer. In this way you can tell that the wallow east of where you teleported into the undergrowth connector is above you and you will know to take the upward path to reach it. This same trick applies to the marked roads themselves. When viewed on a different layer they appear transparent.

If you look at the positions of the various wallows you will notice something else that’s important to know. The wallows for each camp (ogre, teku nuhoch, rata novus, and scar) correspond to the “lanes” where the meta occurs, making it easy for players to waypoint to a camp and then wallow straight into the end of the lane they wish to join for the meta.

Knowing this makes it a lot easier to use the map to navigate TD. However, many objectives are still hidden off the marked pathways with no indication of how to reach them. That’s where the real exploration challenge comes in, and unfortunately there’s no other way than to simply explore.

It might help to keep an eye out for pathways that aren’t marked. Chances are that pathway leads to an objective of some sort. For instance, if you wander west from Teku Nuhoch you’ll see a cave with an HP marked on the map nearby. There’s no road leading to the HP, but if you just walk into that cave you’ll find it. Of course, other objectives will be a little trickier to find!

Thank you for your help.
I already assumed there were ways of reading the map which I haven’t mastered yet and you just helped me understand them a bit better. I will try and use your advice later today and hope this will shed some light on otherwise a gloomy situation.

Just Finished HoT and...

AliamRationem.5172

Thank you for your help.
I already assumed there were ways of reading the map which I haven’t mastered yet and you just helped me understand them a bit better. I will try and use your advice later today and hope this will shed some light on otherwise a gloomy situation.

Sure thing! Just try to be patient with it. While knowing what those map markers mean will help you to better use the map to get around, learning all of the little secrets hidden in TD takes a lot of exploring. There are hidden paths that are not only not marked on the map in any way, but also camouflaged so that you won’t notice them in passing.

Just an example of this: When you use those updrafts above the canyon south of Order of Whispers waypoint, if you look toward the canyon wall just west of the HP high up on the ledge there you will see a small waterfall. There are some tropical birds sitting there in front of some heavy foliage. This actually marks a hidden entrance!

If you go through the vines you’ll enter the cave at the top of the deeproot sink area, right near the Spider Queen HP. From there you can either glide down to the vista and take the tunnel from there to Ogre Camp waypoint or, if you glide around to the south of the Spider HP you’ll see a ledge with some vampire beasts on it. Behind them is a vertical cavern containing a mastery point and below that you drop right down to Dragon’s Passage waypoint and the Nightthistle HP!

You can also use those updrafts south of Order of Whispers waypoint to get to the top of the Great Tree. The left path inside the tree leads to a flax farm and then drops you right down into Ogre camp waypoint. The right path heads down to the bottom of the tree which connects up with the bottom of the canyon where Order of Whispers outpost POI is located.

Anyway, I could go on and on but the point is there is just a lot to this map. There are multiple ways connecting various areas of the map, not all of which are obvious. You can get around using the map if you know how, but it will take time simply exploring to discover all of these secrets. So just try to be patient with it and enjoy exploring it. It really is an amazing map once you begin to understand it!

Just Finished HoT and...

AliamRationem.5172

That’s HoT’s main problem. This isn’t the same game anymore and I don’t like the new version at all. That’s why I don’t want or need help, even if it’s generously offered. I want the core experience back!

I’ve probably expressed my opinion on this in a hundred other threads on the same subject, but I can agree that HoT perhaps went too far in one direction and that direction was a vast departure from the core gameplay. On the other hand, for players like myself, it was enough to grab and hold our attention where the core game never did.

LS3 seemed to present us with a bit of a mix of both, and I was satisfied with it as were many players who were dissatisfied with the original HoT maps. I think they struck a good balance there. So I’m hoping to see more of that in the next expansion.

Having said that, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t hold out hope for at least one map like TD or VB. These are by far my favorite maps in the entire game, even if they aren’t universally popular. And by the same token, I hope they have some nice flat maps for players who like something more straightforward to enjoy. I think LS3 did a good job of making flat maps fun to play on – I still go back to Bitterfrost Frontier and Lake Doric even though they are nothing like Tangled Depths!

Just Finished HoT and...

Posted by: Rennie.6750

Rennie.6750

If you’re on a US server, I’d be happy to help you.

I appreciate the offer (really), but this isn’t what I need/want. I want to be able to complete solo content by myself, without having to either beg for help because getting to map part x is really convoluted to get my progression, or to spend my time on the wiki or youtube to look for guides. I’m not even talking about optional things but about regular progression that’s a mandatory roadblock to overcome.

The problem with this game, and other MMOs in general is that designers seem to really have no clue on how to craft compelling elements with moderate novelty, ie they have no clue on how to offer “new” experiences that don’t fundamentally change the way the game is played so instead they pile new systems on top of the existing ones, add a metric ton of RNG in pve gameplay and hope this will be “good enough”, but it’s not. Because it’s not the game people liked and it’s not what we sticked around. Did I keep playing because of the convoluted game mechanics? No! I did because the combat really feels satisfying in central Tyria and during the entire levelling process, and that includes dungeons. And now what am I offered? Content with awfully convoluted mechanics (fractals), jumping puzzles with built-in RNG and obscure arbitrary rules that hasn’t been properly tested and polished and for which nobody asked himself “is it providing the same kind of satisfying experience that people came to love?” during the development process. That’s HoT’s main problem. This isn’t the same game anymore and I don’t like the new version at all. That’s why I don’t want or need help, even if it’s generously offered. I want the core experience back!