Just getting back need help picking class

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: JohnReaper.4058

JohnReaper.4058

Q:

Ok i have been gone from the game for about 8 months and have been back playing for a few days now trying to figure out what class i wanted to play. Keep in mind i do not have the expansion yet but i am going to be getting it soon! I have in down i think to Necro Mez or Ranger . I am wanting to know what people think is doing the best in the expansion on them 3 class’s in your opinion. I know i will be make the new class for sure when i get the expansion and just looking for some incite into these 3 for now and how they will do in pve and raids because that is what i will be doing like 85%+ of the time. Again any insight to these 3 or maybe even other is welcome and thanks in advance

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Well for the new raids it goes like this:

If you want to bring the most as a Ranger, you will likely spec druid and you will likely provide lots of support and group buffs (frost spirit, spotter, healing, quick rez, etc.)

If you want to bring the most as a Mesmer, you will likely spec chronomancer and provide alacrity and quickness to your allies as well as service other niche support functions. (Portal, reflect, stealth, etc)

If you want to bring the most as a Necromancer, you will likely reroll. XD Necro has some great damage, but outside some niche encounters (not sure yet, so maybe not niche) Necro don’t seem to provide much. They may add some strange mechanics with raids (ex: raid wipe if a player doesn’t go into a laser to stop it from powering a generator. It deals some 50k damage, is unblockable and pierces immunities like dodge and invulnerable. With this strange mechanic, raid leaders will have to decide to either sacrifice a player, or place a necro with death shroud to block the laser. ). For now, Necro is not a safe bet in my opinion, but of course they will remain viable, but you came here to try and optimize by asking more knowledgable players.

In the end, it comes down to Mesmer support or Ranger support, and if you want damage, you could still play Necro, but you’d offer less to a raid.

JohnReaper.4058

ok so what will fill the damage roll or tanking roll in the raids do you think then? and as far as support goes i will most likely pick the druid for that

Posted by: dchsknight.3042

dchsknight.3042

Well for the new raids it goes like this:

If you want to bring the most as a Ranger, you will likely spec druid and you will likely provide lots of support and group buffs (frost spirit, spotter, healing, quick rez, etc.)

If you want to bring the most as a Mesmer, you will likely spec chronomancer and provide alacrity and quickness to your allies as well as service other niche support functions. (Portal, reflect, stealth, etc)

If you want to bring the most as a Necromancer, you will likely reroll. XD Necro has some great damage, but outside some niche encounters (not sure yet, so maybe not niche) Necro don’t seem to provide much. They may add some strange mechanics with raids (ex: raid wipe if a player doesn’t go into a laser to stop it from powering a generator. It deals some 50k damage, is unblockable and pierces immunities like dodge and invulnerable. With this strange mechanic, raid leaders will have to decide to either sacrifice a player, or place a necro with death shroud to block the laser. ). For now, Necro is not a safe bet in my opinion, but of course they will remain viable, but you came here to try and optimize by asking more knowledgable players.

In the end, it comes down to Mesmer support or Ranger support, and if you want damage, you could still play Necro, but you’d offer less to a raid.

Doing Solid DPS is bringing a lot. For a 10 man raid you will have everything being brought you need to bring with in 3-5 players. All the boon and condition support you could need would be taken care of.

A solid DPS’er will be greatly needed. If you are just doing support or just worrying about what the player can give to the raid, you are ignoring DPS output.

It has already been shown that the whole anti-necro buisness is just ignorant people pushing out ignorant information. Necros bring plenty to a raid and a group. If you dont see that, your just ignorant.

OR you are one of those people who likes to base all they know off of a few people who think a certain meta is the truth of a game. The meta is a lie. Dont listen to it.

IF you are going to a group where people are just kicking you because of necro that is a poor group. And a group who does not know what they are missing.

A reaper will out dps almost all the melee with out even trying.

Do not listen to elitist bs’ers who only think the meta is all there is. They are fooling themselves and just like to perpetuate ignorant info.

dchsknight.3042

ok so what will fill the damage roll or tanking roll in the raids do you think then? and as far as support goes i will most likely pick the druid for that

No such thing as tanking in this game. There are some classes that have some semblence of tanking but the taunts in this game last for seconds and then the mob back to what ever it wants.

And besides a Centaur revenant can be just as beneficial as a druid can. So can demon. A demon Rev can be just as supportive as a chronomancer. In fact a Demon Rev + Chrono would be an iron clad support team. Throw in a Centaur Rev and Druid and your dpser would be unstoppable.

JohnReaper.4058

not sure if i am more confused or less at this point on what one to be getting points saved up on till i get the expansion lol

Posted by: Mega Skeleton.8259

Mega Skeleton.8259

Necros are continuing to be underrated by others, but I’ve basically given up on trying to convince people. But anyway, transfusion is a completely unique utility to the raid, the ability to teleport downed members to your location will likely be very valuable, if Vale guardian is an example to go off of. We kept a necro outside of lightnings to save anyone who might have happened to get downed in an awkward place, saving lives. Not to mention sharing out siphons for extra dps and healing across the raid, another unique, but less substantial utility.

But regardless, I think every raid will want to have 1, if not 2 chronomancers for the insane amounts of quickness and alacrity they bring.

You may want to know that raids have a 1 week lockout on rewards. I mean, you can help other people do it but you wont get the same rewards :P

[EG] is recruiting!

(edited by Mega Skeleton.8259)

dchsknight.3042

Necro:

The necro is an underdog in this game. They are a dark spell caster and even in light armor they have high Survivability. To start a necro has melee casting through dagger and it is quite effective. Goign with straight power and perc, a dagger necro is quite destructive. Along with doing blood magic spec, you are a strong force to be reckoned with.

I like the necro. They have a sort of Death Knight kind of feel. Like the Death knight from the game that shall not be named.

Mesmer:

These guys are by far one of the most unique classes I have ever seen. They are strong casters with fun weapon combos. Great sword usage gives you a solid ranged character. A mesmer is good for a lot of damage as well as support.

Ranger:

These guys are the tradtional archer type. But unlike the hunter from the game that shall not be named, they are not pet dependent. Even with Beast mastery the damage they out put is from them not the pet. though a Ranger can be spec’ed to make their pet more respectable.

truthfully it all boils down to what you want to do as your character.

Necro= green/black spreaders of terror with cool spells and strong aoe.

Mesmer= Purple sparkles and rainbows butterflies, that explode in a fiery ball of death, Oh and clones of yourself. That also explode.

Ranger= WTF where did all these arrows come from?! HOLY KITTENS THAT IS A BEAR! What?! is that a frosted tree monster?!

Don’t let anyone tell you a class cant fulfill a role. For every person that does, there are like 10 youtube videos showing do to do it.

Posted by: Derigar.7810

Derigar.7810

Necro are the only class that can corrupt boons into conditions. I think that is extremely valuable in this scenario. Fractals are using boonrupter reapers already and it’s quite good to see them being used.

JohnReaper.4058

wanting to get a little more into this and maybe just open it up to any of the professions people think are doing better and not just those 3 . I am trying to pick a main to focus on at this time to get geared for raids and i like so many of the professions i am having a hard time picking that one to gear up for now . I just want one that will be wanted and needed in ever raid group for now till i can get more stuff to gear a 2nd

(edited by JohnReaper.4058)