Just got HoT, help leveling?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Domaik.2591

Domaik.2591

Hello I just got HoT and I discovered that I need to level in the new areas separately from Tyria so being sort of a new player as I am I was wondering if anyone could tell me what are the best ways to level up in verdant brink and HoT maps so I can get my glider and mushrooms. I have mastery points all I’m lacking is a proper way to level up so I can upgrade…

any suggestions? I am still Mastery Rank/Level 0 because I have no idea how to get good exp in Verdant Brink

EDIT (if you need this info) I am a lvl 80 guardian (dragonhunter…fully unlocked the tree) running full berserker and a pretty good DPS build. I dont have trouble klling monsters at all nor do i die to them

Thank you for your time!

(edited by Domaik.2591)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The same way you level in core tyria for xp. The difference is that the HoT maps have a concept of “participation level” and hand out meta rewards in big chunks of xp as the map progresses.

That participation level raises for each event you do on the map, so the more time you spend in the map doing events, the more xp you’ll gain from the map as it progresses.

To start with, do what you normally do, explore, do hero points, etc. but your fastest method to xp is to do what the maps want you to do, get involved in the big meta event chains by starting at outposts and following their event chains to whichever final battle the zone you’re in culminates in.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Darkwvlf.9018

Darkwvlf.9018

Have you done the prologue story for HoT? If not, you will not gain any XP towards masteries since you haven’t unlocked the ability to use them.

Posted by: Domaik.2591

Domaik.2591

@drkwvlf yes i hve im i verdant brink already

@Popeurba thank you lot! will do and try it looks amazing, im eager to explore the map

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

The first personal story once you get into VB gives you the first tier of gliding. Easy peasy

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The first personal story once you get into VB gives you the first tier of gliding. Easy peasy

Funny. Only got me half a bar. Not that it’s not easy, but disinformation serves no one.

If the story did not give you gliding, run north from the initial waypoint and try to do events around the Itzel village in the trees. It’s possible to run there without gliding or mushroom jumping. Once cycle should get you enough XP to get gliding, then you should work on Gliding 2 (Updrafts) and then mushroom jumping.

Good luck and have fun.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

Funny. Only got me half a bar. Not that it’s not easy, but disinformation serves no one.

If the story did not give you gliding, run north from the initial waypoint and try to do events around the Itzel village in the trees. It’s possible to run there without gliding or mushroom jumping. Once cycle should get you enough XP to get gliding, then you should work on Gliding 2 (Updrafts) and then mushroom jumping.

Good luck and have fun.

and who are you to say that’s disinformation? I almost always have celebration and xp booster and laurel xp boosters active… what gives you half a bar of exp will give me 1.5 full bars to 2.25 full bars.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Gold medal adventures are worth ~53k daily and an additional ~146k your first time. If you sync up with the meta events so you don’t have to wait (ie, show up at VB halfway through the day), it takes about an hour to do ~13 of them for ~700k experience daily.

Personally, I started each day by doing what adventures I had found and by the time I explored my way to the end of TD (about a week in), I had leyline gliding and the first 3 of everything else.

Posted by: Starfall.6813

Starfall.6813

@Popeurba thank you lot! will do and try it looks amazing, im eager to explore the map

The big thing with Verdant Brink is to follow the event chains. If you’re still at the beginning of the map, when day starts, find the Pale Reaver event chain, which starts around the first waypoint in VB and just follow it all the way through. Or go to the Itzel village to the north and do the chain there. They are 7-9 events long or so, and should get you plenty of xp. If it’s night, just look for a nearby rally point and do the events that trigger there.

Posted by: Starfall.6813

Starfall.6813

The big thing with Verdant Brink is to follow the event chains. If you’re still at the beginning of the map, when day starts, find the Pale Reaver event chain, which starts around the first waypoint in VB and just follow it all the way through. Or go to the Itzel village to the north and do the chain there. They are 7-9 events long or so, and should get you plenty of xp. If it’s night, just look for a nearby rally point and do the events that trigger there.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

The same way you level in core tyria for xp. The difference is that the HoT maps have a concept of “participation level” and hand out meta rewards in big chunks of xp as the map progresses..

Nope, the difference between the HOT maps and all the rest is that if there’s not a large number of other people wanting to do what you need to do, forget it, you’ll not progress in HOT, it’s mainly a 1990s group-or-die game now where progression requires many others to help you.

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Good luck and have fun.

Hmmm…. I may have had a booster on, to me it appeared to be part of that first story line where you either save the sylvari or defend the wreckage because you get that huge chunk of mastery xp at the end. guess not…

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Good luck and have fun.

and who are you to say that’s disinformation? I almost always have celebration and xp booster and laurel xp boosters active… what gives you half a bar of exp will give me 1.5 full bars to 2.25 full bars.

The post I quoted had nothing about XP boosts. Why assume that everyone knows all the tricks? I get that Tspatula was trying to be helpful, and meant no disrespect. However, what he posted was not what I experienced and so seemed incorrect. I tend not to think about boosts, but can see that boosts could make that much of a difference. I also think that when offering advice, such might be stated.

Posted by: Teaniel.9052

Teaniel.9052

If you have multiple 80’s, you can take them through the intro story, too: masteries are account bound. All your characters contribute to the same mastery xp bar and will be able to glide when you unlock the mastery.

We’re going to devote our energies to sports, gardening, all the cultural pursuits;
in fact, we’re going to put the goons to sleep.
Meanwhile – we dig.