Just how Beta is HOT currently?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Taking a thread closure statement from the Anet team here looking for more information about a possible (Estimated) release date.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/feedback-HoT-failed/page/2#post5400312

Gaile Says – I’d just like to add that making an assessment of a game while in beta is, at best, premature.

So since its ‘At best’ just how far into the development of HoT are we? Do you have a list of scheduled deadlines for delivery other then for the Beta Weekend tests? Can we expect a delivered product by Christmas this year or early Next year at this point?

These are things we all want to know.

I pre-ordered on one of my accounts cause Anet made good with the character slot for the basic purchase pack. But I will not be upgrading the other accounts (Pre or otherwise) until some release schedules are made public. It currently feels like we are paying via pre-release for complete Development of a product here, with no ETA on release dates at all.

Feels very sketchy to me, and ‘crowd sourced’.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Can we expect a delivered product by Christmas this year or early Next year at this point?

They’ve stated pretty strongly that HoT will release this year so that means christmas at the latest.

Many people seem to expect that Anet will announce the release date next saturday at pax.

As for the next BWE, I don’t expect it will be here before all elite specializations are revealed (so they can be tested).

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

She meant judging something on a beta is premature.

I suggest waiting until the 28th for possible announcements, I doubt you’ll get an answer to anything substantial until then (no one wants to upstage their boss before a presentation).

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

You’re taking something Gaile said out of context and further warping it to make it mean something it doesn’t come close to meaning.

The OP of that thread was trying to state HoT is a failed expansion even though it hasn’t been released yet. I’m hoping everyone can see that judging something as failed or not before all the details are fully known, much less played, is premature. Calling such a statement premature is putting it kindly. To say “at best” in that context means you’re being very generous with how you’re describing something when the reality is much lower.

At Best has nothing to do with the Beta or release dates.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

You’re taking something Gaile said out of context and further warping it to make it mean something it doesn’t come close to meaning.

The OP of that thread was trying to state HoT is a failed expansion even though it hasn’t been released yet. I’m hoping everyone can see that judging something as failed or not before all the details are fully known, much less played, is premature. Calling such a statement premature is putting it kindly. To say “at best” in that context means you’re being very generous with how you’re describing something when the reality is much lower.

Forget the OP on that other thread, has nothing to do with my thread.

yes context does matter sometimes. But she outright called HoT a Beta ‘At best’. That means not even Beta IMHO. Context be kitten ed.

I paid for a product that is not out yet, there is no release date, content is coming out in drips, we have no idea just how far along they are to a finished product. It feels sketchy as if they are ‘just making it as they go along here’.

And that is my entire point.

Now if they release a date or tentative date at PAX then awesome. But so far we have seen/heard NOTHING in regards to release date other then ‘sometime this year’, which does not mean XMAS as push backs can happen.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Forget the OP on that other thread, has nothing to do with my thread.

yes context does matter sometimes. But she outright called HoT a Beta ‘At best’. That means not even Beta IMHO. Context be kitten ed.

I paid for a product that is not out yet, there is no release date, content is coming out in drips, we have no idea just how far along they are to a finished product. It feels sketchy as if they are ‘just making it as they go along here’.

And that is my entire point.

Now if they release a date or tentative date at PAX then awesome. But so far we have seen/heard NOTHING in regards to release date other then ‘sometime this year’, which does not mean XMAS as push backs can happen.

No.. She called the OP of the other thread’s judgement of the game from beta was, AT BEST, premature. If English isn’t your primary language thats fine, but please trust me this is what she meant.

“At best” had NOTHING to do with HoT or the beta.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Coulter is right, this may be a language issue. Gaile, however, is a native English speaker, so in

“I’d just like to add that making an assessment of a game while in beta is, at best, premature.”

“at best” refers back to “making an assessment” — ie we have one full concept, (making an assessment of a game while in beta), then a verb, (is), and a modified adjective, (premature) with the modification being (at best). So she’s politely saying (Your opinion that an unfinished project has failed) (is) (complete dreck but let’s be nice and say you just haven’t seen enough yet).

I applaud her diplomacy. I’d hate to be a chef told that the complicated dish I’m making is a failure and will taste horrible because the person ordering it has seen one third of the raw ingredients.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And people wonder why Anet is reluctant to say anything.

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

“at best, premature” is referring to the fact that making judgements based on a beta is a premature act. It is not referring to HoT completion stage as “at best, a beta”

Completely different statements.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, you would understand it better if constructed without the commas:

“I’d just like to add that making an assessment of a game while in beta is premature at best.”

Good luck.

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

In the sentence: “I’d just like to add that making an assessment of a game while in beta is, at best, premature.” The phrase “at best” is inside parenthetical commas, which means that it is information that is a non-essential addition to the sentence. You can remove it and still have the sentence and its underlying meaning make sense. The base sentence would read: “I’d just like to add that making an assessment of a game while in beta is premature.” The meaning here is plainly that making a final assessment of a product before it’s finished is something done too soon.

The parenthetical addition of “at best” acts as an antecedent to premature. The meaning here is to state that in the best interpretation what was done was premature. The inference of this is that there are worse interpretations that could be made. For instance that the act was silly or borne from malice.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you want to find reasons to be pessimistic about the expac, you can just point to the weird bugs that have popped up the last few releases (like new characters being rewarded with GWAMM or HoM points) and how long those took to fix. You don’t have to (incorrectly) pick apart phrases from ANet staff.

In contrast, there are also plenty of reasons to be optimistic: gliding, fun new specializations, fun new class, (for some) fun new events, etc. IMO, ANet has always delivered hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of great content. And they always seem to overhype the least remarkable things and underhype the best.

tl;dr In terms of my own expectations, I don’t bother with what ANet says about HoT — I care about what they have actually delivered in the past.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

I’d say after BWE 3 (whenever that is), we’ll likely be within a month of release.

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

Oh my GOD this OP is grasping at straws…. please arena net, keep communicating with us. This kind of person is not your average consumer.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

90% beta, 10% ready.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

Gaile was right to close that thread in everyway possible you can’t judge a beta before it has happened. As for the big announcements its on the 29th not the 28th.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

But Mommy, I don’ wanna wait… I WANT EVERYTHING NOW NOW NOW!!! Also, I demand a free pony mount.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

free pony mount.

Mounts confirmed

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Dear lord next we’ll have topics of people going to pax questioning the state of the expansion atm because a certain dev looked at them in a funny way.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Based on what they shared with us at the beginning of the year and that they stated that LS 2 was so simple because they were working on the expansion, I reasonably thought that HoT could be released as early as March. I have no idea why they announced it so early.

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

Dear lord next we’ll have topics of people going to pax questioning the state of the expansion atm because a certain dev looked at them in a funny way.

Hasn’t this already started haha.

Sylvari mean