Just let me buy a beta slot.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Apparently my thousands of hours online, hundreds of pounds spent in the gemstore and help in beta testing the original game doesn’t constitute me as an active, “loyal” player (which is insulting as kitten.)

Now ive been grinding every day for nearly a week in SW, trying for this infernal portal drop, rather than playing content I enjoy. SW was fun when it first came out, but after spending nearly 200 hours in there for my Bioluminescence Achievement, I literally wanted to get on my knees and cry when I was told I had to sit in there to grind for a beta portal. Dry Top, I never enjoyed, it was annoying and confusing to navigate, and it just never appealed to me, so I wasn’t going to go there at all.

Just let us pay to get into the beta, like we did for the original GW2 beta, because this is just ridiculous now. Take the money, and either use to develop HoT, or pay for the daily coffee. I just want a guaranteed beta slot, because all of these nasty RNG systems are beginning to grate on me.

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

I feel you.

I would also appreciate another method to get into the beta. I don’t have ANY farmluck.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

Argon.1563

I feel you.

I would also appreciate another method to get into the beta. I don’t have ANY farmluck.

Same. My RNG luck is horrific. Ive been grinding for so long, I actually had a colleague come up to me during the week, and ask me if I was a meth addict, because my eyes are bloodshot and red, where ive been playing for too long.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9615

Latinkuro.9615

I’ve been farming everyday after work, putting all my precious free time into the game.
yet, not a single portal, while some people play for 15 minutes and get it.

Others even get 4-5 portals, I know this is RNG and all that [censored]

But it feels so [censored] unfair.

I would gladly shove a fifty dollar bill down their throat, to avoid the insanity and unfairness of this [censored] ridiculous grind.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Same here, farmed the stupid item for 4 days now. My girlfriend casually logs in and AFKs near the VW meta and gets the beta access. And she has no intention of joining the beta. FML.

Argon.1563

Just did my 25th VW run in in an attempt for a portal.

Have I proven im a “loyal” player, ArenaNet-Senpai? Can I have a portal now?

Posted by: Grimlin.4567

Grimlin.4567

In the same boat as well. Give us another method of gaining entry, also a beta player from before launch and would crush me to know I didn’t get to do this because of the “RNG” system. I’m too sick to work I spend my days at home, so to say that I have spent minium of 10 hours a day in SW is a modest estimate and no beta portal. It took all energy I could muster to not rage and swear in this post.. Please do something Anet

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

If there was a deterministic way of getting in, all slots would have been snatched up within an hour of it being available. If it could be bought, there would be none to buy.

Also, there are massive legal implications about selling beta slots. If you go in looking to farm that portal, you will be disappointed. Go to the zones looking to play the zones, the portal is a bonus. Besides, it’s a beta event. You won’t be in there playing HoT until it’s released. You’re basically asking to pay ANet money for the opportunity to work for them (a beta tester should be finding and reporting bugs, not playing for the fun of playing).

Additionally, they said there will be no NDA, so you aren’t missing on information or anything either.

Posted by: Grimlin.4567

Grimlin.4567

If there was a deterministic way of getting in, all slots would have been snatched up within an hour of it being available. If it could be bought, there would be none to buy.

Also, there are massive legal implications about selling beta slots. If you go in looking to farm that portal, you will be disappointed. Go to the zones looking to play the zones, the portal is a bonus. Besides, it’s a beta event. You won’t be in there playing HoT until it’s released. You’re basically asking to pay ANet money for the opportunity to work for them (a beta tester should be finding and reporting bugs, not playing for the fun of playing).

Additionally, they said there will be no NDA, so you aren’t missing on information or anything either.

Let me guess you got a portal?

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

Let me guess you got a portal?

Nope, I also haven’t bothered farming for it. I have been to the SW for the sake of playing in the SW though.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

My drop rate is usually pretty good…

…but not for the portal. I’ll spend a bit more time trying to get one but I’m content just waiting until an open beta.

In all honesty I do like what they are going for but it seems a little too hard to get in a reasonable amount of time but that may be the point. And it does explain the “thoughts on RNG” post we had from the devs a little while back.

RNG as a concept: Discuss: (John Smith)
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/RNG-as-a-concept-Discuss/first

(edited by Prophet.6257)

Posted by: Kasteros.9847

Kasteros.9847

You don’t really get it right? xD They put it inot DT and SW to bring players there, hello, u claimed that u are active so u should know the case. But if u don’t then some recap: Actually lot of new players want to play SW / DT to get their skins etc. BUT they can’t cos no more players were doing events. All were farming chests instead of doing it so ppl qqed at forums and so on they wanted to put some live to those maps by giving away beta access( as they claimed at start they were supposed to chose players not give beta away so u should be greatfull to them for doing this).

[One][SiOn][dF]
16.03.15 We remember! R.I.P. MT
Shocking interview with Anet WvW Dev

Posted by: Kalliope.4751

Kalliope.4751

You’ll probably be able to buy into the beta at a later date. If I had to guess, it’d be the same way we could when the game launched – by pre-ordering the game.

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

Why do you guys want into beta so much? What do you plan to do with it? Will you actually test things and give feedback? Or is this you wanting to get into new content first? Some badge of honor? I honestly don’t get it. I have done many betas before and it’s honestly just unpaid testing and you lose all the fun of getting into the new content when it goes live.

Posted by: DoIKnowYou.3896

DoIKnowYou.3896

Been farming for a portal and nothing. I spend regular amounts of money on the game, and I am on every day. Sad that this doesn’t count for anything for a beta portal

I’ve been farming SW and Dry Top all week and nothing. I’ve put in ALOT of time, and sadly nothing.

Active Gw2 member who is ready to venture into the jungle! :)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It should just be a rotation. If you got in one beta, you don’t get in the next one. They select players from a pool of players that didn’t get in, rinse and repeat.

Paying to play in a beta is awful.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Why do you guys want into beta so much? What do you plan to do with it? Will you actually test things and give feedback? Or is this you wanting to get into new content first? Some badge of honor? I honestly don’t get it. I have done many betas before and it’s honestly just unpaid testing and you lose all the fun of getting into the new content when it goes live.

I believe that most are so starved for new content that they will do everything, even for the beta.

Let’s make it clear, ANet doesn’t run this for some sort of greater feedback, not on random people drops. It’s a pure marketing and a hook for playerbase.

Not a new thing, really. PTRs are succcesfully being run by Blizzard in World of Warcraft every expansion or major patch. Yes, player involvement is needed there, but mostly for balancing classes. Most will join up to see future content, even try it few times. It’s better than to sit in official game with nothing to do, waiting, amrite?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I’ve been farming everyday after work, putting all my precious free time into the game.

I would gladly shove a fifty dollar bill down their throat, to avoid the insanity and unfairness of this [censored] ridiculous grind.

Took me 35hrs, countdown of my bd booster and a little more. Mostly trying to get it from dry top; just because I like to regularly play SW an evening a week or so and didn’t want to burn out on the zone (like you already have long ago). People don’t get 5 portals… you believe what everyone tells you? People don’t get it in 15 minutes, although it is always possible from a freak occurrence dealing with RND. But nonetheless, got fed up with DT and went to SW, running ~550 luck literally two minutes after getting there… lol we’ll just say I have a new admiration for those roots attacking red caravan near the map entrance.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to “sell” closed beta keys, not for any respectable company. That would make them look more like money grubbers. They do this because as with most games they want you to log in daily, a whole marketing psychology behind that, visibility, when dealing with RMT anyway. Traditionally, closed beta keys can come with pre-orders, but there is a whole field of landmines with that let alone any can of worms, especially since they are still working things out from what I glean out of like their “ready up” videos. Better the complaints for beta drops over a short time rather than long-term complaints of “where is what I paid for!!!” type of stuff. Lesser of two weevils…

Posted by: Luminarin.2301

Luminarin.2301

Just make the Portals available for 50g for players with 4000+ hours spent on game. Simple is that. Why the kitten RNG again?????

Posted by: The Human Panadeine.2561

The Human Panadeine.2561

You don’t really get it right? xD They put it inot DT and SW to bring players there, hello,

Then they should have made the portals buyable with bandit crests or geodes. A high number like 10k crests or something would be acceptable since I’ve probably gotten more than that by now just from trying to farm this thing.

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

The issue here is, selling keys wouldn’t be fair either, on account of biasing toward players with more money. Arenanet is trying to give a fair chance to anyone (who has an 80, anyway). And yes, RNG is fair. You have exactly the same odds as everyone else participating. Odds that are low by design – they can’t let EVERYONE in.

Which is another reason they can’t sell it. ESPECIALLY for gold – too easy for too many to get gold (and some would just buy gems to convert to gold).

So glad I’m not bending over backwards on this. Sure, I’m hitting the place daily, sometimes twice, but I’m not spending every playing hour in those maps, and if I don’t get a portal – that’s that. What’s the real big deal, right? I’ll get to play the game eventually anyway.

I do agree that for beta-ing, it’s not ABOUT “playing first”. I was in the GW2 betas, and while it was an enjoyable experience, I was also keeping an eye out for anything to report or submit feedback on.

Besides: This probably isn’t the last test, and GW2’s own last few betas were open, AND had a way to “buy in” (pre-purchasing the game in full). So…. don’t really see the need to fuss over things.

Argon.1563

I believe that most are so starved for new content that they will do everything, even for the beta.

This is my reason. It exists, therefore I am obligated to play it.

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

I love posts like these.
It gives me quite a bit enjoyment when I see people who think they are entitled to certain stuff cry for not getting it.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Here is the bottom line, not everyone is supposed to get into closed beta, that is why it is actually difficult for most people to get these portals, there already exists far to many methods of buy your way to what you want in this game, I’m happy that this time you cannot, either keep trying to get lucky or wait for open beta.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

You don’t really get it right? xD They put it inot DT and SW to bring players there, hello, u claimed that u are active so u should know the case. But if u don’t then some recap: Actually lot of new players want to play SW / DT to get their skins etc. BUT they can’t cos no more players were doing events. All were farming chests instead of doing it so ppl qqed at forums and so on they wanted to put some live to those maps by giving away beta access( as they claimed at start they were supposed to chose players not give beta away so u should be greatfull to them for doing this).

I suspected that events weren’t that active at times, which is part of why I spent all that time looking for the portal, whilst doing that did at least 31 main events and got all the body parts and the imbued parts. Still need some armour parts (3 legs and 3 others).

So I’ll still be there for awhile collecting for the other 6 parts although I think I have to unlock the legs via LS2.

But at the moment, there’s plenty of people there in the mornings and afternoon, but starts to get a bit unreliable by the evening. The evenings is what I would think it’s like normally.

Posted by: Leonhardt.8164

Leonhardt.8164

Let’s make it clear, ANet doesn’t run this for some sort of greater feedback, not on random people drops. It’s a pure marketing and a hook for playerbase.

Not a new thing, really. PTRs are succcesfully being run by Blizzard in World of Warcraft every expansion or major patch. Yes, player involvement is needed there, but mostly for balancing classes. Most will join up to see future content, even try it few times. It’s better than to sit in official game with nothing to do, waiting, amrite?

i’m an 8 year WoW veteran and PTR’s in WoW are only for Patches of the game, when it comes to a new expansion, PTR is not available, they send out invites for beta testing just like everyone else
PTR is only for testing patches not expansions

Latinkuro.9615

Took me 35hrs, countdown of my bd booster and a little more. Mostly trying to get it from dry top; just because I like to regularly play SW an evening a week or so and didn’t want to burn out on the zone (like you already have long ago). People don’t get 5 portals… you believe what everyone tells you? People don’t get it in 15 minutes, although it is always possible from a freak occurrence dealing with RND. But nonetheless, got fed up with DT and went to SW, running ~550 luck literally two minutes after getting there… lol we’ll just say I have a new admiration for those roots attacking red caravan near the map entrance.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to “sell” closed beta keys, not for any respectable company. That would make them look more like money grubbers. They do this because as with most games they want you to log in daily, a whole marketing psychology behind that, visibility, when dealing with RMT anyway. Traditionally, closed beta keys can come with pre-orders, but there is a whole field of landmines with that let alone any can of worms, especially since they are still working things out from what I glean out of like their “ready up” videos. Better the complaints for beta drops over a short time rather than long-term complaints of “where is what I paid for!!!” type of stuff. Lesser of two weevils…

LOL you clearly haven’t been reading much about this !
yes some people do have 4 and 5 portals with proof ! LOL
Why would I believe someone’s word without any proof [censored] !

if you don’t believe me go look at some of those proof examples on reddit lol !

every one here is aware of the issue except you CLEARLY !

Latinkuro.9615

I love posts like these.
It gives me quite a bit enjoyment when I see people who think they are entitled to certain stuff cry for not getting it.

Correction, the problem here is not entitlement, but as always how broken and [censored] the RNG system in this game is, to top that off, people getting several portals when all they can use is ONE while others are still farming for them.

Add to that the fact some people me included have been farming non stop for days without a single [censored] portal.

That’s part of the issue, entitlement has nothing to do with it !!!

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Just did my 25th VW run in in an attempt for a portal.

Have I proven im a “loyal” player, ArenaNet-Senpai? Can I have a portal now?

No, you’re not worthy enough yet.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

LOL you clearly haven’t been reading much about this !
yes some people do have 4 and 5 portals with proof ! LOL
Why would I believe someone’s word without any proof [censored] !

if you don’t believe me go look at some of those proof examples on reddit lol !

every one here is aware of the issue except you CLEARLY !

yeah because no one evah manipulates screen shots! So if it’s on reddit, mmmust be true…
Today I’ve learnt to believe everything on teh interwebs

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

this community is so kitten funny. Not only do you want to dedicate your time to testing a product without payment, you even want to pay for it. Oh, btw, I know some Nigerian prince who talks great business opportunities, will PM you the details later.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

+1 to buying a beta slot, pre-purchase would be nice again!

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

i’m an 8 year WoW veteran and PTR’s in WoW are only for Patches of the game, when it comes to a new expansion, PTR is not available, they send out invites for beta testing just like everyone else
PTR is only for testing patches not expansions

Sorry, I generalized. Yes, it has to be said that PTR and Betas are two things.
But my point is relevant for both cases. Hence “beta testing” MoP and late WoD.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Misaka Mikoto.4513

Misaka Mikoto.4513

i got portal from VW.

My suggestion for those who still dont get is to tag as many mobs as possible and move on! Since you get portal from chest popups when mobs are killed, not when you AOE loot

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

people getting several portals when all they can use is ONE while others are still farming for them.

Ok, lets explain this one one more time :

Someone getting 2, 5 or 1.000.000 portals has not effect on your chances to drop one.

There is not a finite quantity of portals that can be dropped, there is a % chances in the drop tables to get one. Like every other droppable items ingame.

Got it? Someone dropping multiple portals don’t affect your own chances of getting one.

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

To whom that say they played for thousands hours and did VW for a hundred time without getting the portal is because you didn’t play hard enough.
Keep playing and you’ll get the drop eventually.. or not. But at least you tried.

They do not sell the pre-purchase because i think they have a long way to go yet. May not have the release date and you can’t sell anything that has not a release date, unless you are kickstarter. And we all know what happen with some of those it will release when it’s ready but for now we keep your money

Just to clarify i got my portal after playing like +40 hours and i can assure you most of the ppl trolling in the map chat with “OMG 10 minutes and got portal from a son of svanir in SW” are just that: ppl trolling. There are cases of ppl that have more than one portal, but that ppl are playing all day. I log in the morning and they are there. I log in the afternoon and they are still there.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

i got portal from VW.

My suggestion for those who still dont get is to tag as many mobs as possible and move on! Since you get portal from chest popups when mobs are killed, not when you AOE loot

Exactly this ^

I logged onto SW on Saturday. Wasn’t even looking for portal. I was there to test my GS/LB build on my war. LB obviously tags a ton of mobs with firefield. Did ONE Breach and VW event and picked up 2 portals during that time.

RNG is a b*tch. I find when i don’t give a cr*p whether i get something or not, i tend to be pleasantly surprised when i do get it, vs grinding for something and getting frustrated every hour that passes without getting it.

In this case i didn’t care (and am still ambivalent) about getting portal.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

These posts were amusing the first couple of dozen or so…..

You feel “insulted”? Seriously?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

ill pay $10
…….

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Has anyone actually considered that the reason they’re not selling beta access currently is because they need to control how many people actually go into the beta?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Amnesiak.8619

Amnesiak.8619

LOL Somebody is salty. Sucks you couldn’t get one yet, but seriously dude… If everyone could buy their way into it that’d by WAY worse. It’s not at all a fair way if you could buy into it. I’m a poor college kid and can’t afford to be buying that stuff. But I do love their content and I farmed and I got it after like 5 or 6 days. You don’t have some claim over it more than anyone else farming in that zone, and you don’t deserve it any more than anyone spending time farming in the zone. It’s completely RNG. Any “bad luck” you think your account is associated with is not real. It’s completely randomized.

It’s beginning to irritate me how entitled people feel when they don’t get it. I’ve seen SO many posts like “Lemme buy a portal pls” or “High seasoned veterans and people with lots of AP should get in automatically.” It’s ridiculous. SOME of those seasoned veterans will get in. And a lot won’t. And some newer players with different experiences will get in. And a lot won’t. It’s just a beta dude. Calm down.