Just purchased HoT..

Just purchased HoT..

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kinya.4095

Kinya.4095

So after a 1 year hiatus, I have just purchased HoT, and I have some questions in mind right now.

1)I realized that my hero points has reset, should I save my remaining skill points(400 of them) first? and spend all for now? By the way, why is elite specialization still locked?

2)Should I jump to hero journal for now? Currently I see the new ones are ’Scarlet’s war’, ‘HoT story’ and ‘living world season 3’. Any particular sequence should i do? I am a 100% PVE person so I don’t really care about PVP stuffs.

3)Any important stuffs I should do for now?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Just purchased HoT..

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Spend all your hero points. Your elite spec will unlock after you have unlocked everything else and spent I think it’s an additional 30 points. You should have enough to do all that and a chunk of the elite specs skills and traits.

Hero journal sequence is as follows;

- Personal Story (you’ve done)
- Scarlets War (living story season 1, no longer exists. All you will get is a video recap)
- Season 2
- Heart of Thorns
- Season 3

There is no important stuff really, just don’t rush through. It takes some of the fun out of it. I would advise learning about masteries though. They are your new progression system post-level 80 and something you can probably start working on in core tyria.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Just purchased HoT..

Kinya.4095

Spend all your hero points. Your elite spec will unlock after you have unlocked everything else and spent I think it’s an additional 30 points. You should have enough to do all that and a chunk of the elite specs skills and traits.

- Scarlets War (living story season 1, no longer exists. All you will get is a video recap)
- Season 2
- Heart of Thorns
- Season 3

There is no important stuff really, just don’t rush through. It takes some of the fun out of it. I would advise learning about masteries though. They are your new progression system post-level 80 and something you can probably start working on in core tyria.

Hmm, I think I have completed scarlet’s war before.. should i abandon that?

Just purchased HoT..

Posted by: Keltan.1827

Keltan.1827

So after a 1 year hiatus, I have just purchased HoT, and I have some questions in mind right now.

1)I realized that my hero points has reset, should I save my remaining skill points(400 of them) first? and spend all for now? By the way, why is elite specialization still locked?

2)Should I jump to hero journal for now? Currently I see the new ones are ’Scarlet’s war’, ‘HoT story’ and ‘living world season 3’. Any particular sequence should i do? I am a 100% PVE person so I don’t really care about PVP stuffs.

3)Any important stuffs I should do for now?

Thanks for the help in advance!

1. You need to buy all your core skills and traits before you can spend any hero points on your elite specialization. So you should spend your hero points on those first. Unlocking the elite specialization requires 30 hero points. After that its 10 for traits and 15 for skills. The elite skill requires 25.

2. You should do the prologue HoT story to unlock the HoT zones and masteries. Scarlet’s war is a short video that you watch, summarizing the events of Season 1. Haven’t tried Season 3.

3. Shoot, that’s the big question. Do events in Verdant Brink to unlock basic glidng mastery. You can also do continue the HoT story line to explore the zone. The xp will help unlock the mastery. Once you have gliding, you can follow the various guides eg Dulfy, to unlock hero points. Some people say to use LFG to join a hero train – large group of people progressing through the hero points- but I haven’t done that.

Just purchased HoT..

Randulf.7614

- Season 2
- Heart of Thorns
- Season 3

Hmm, I think I have completed scarlet’s war before.. should i abandon that?

It’s a 2min video. You might as well watch it and then move onto season 2 if you haven’t done it. If Season 2 is done, you can move onto Heart of Thorns

Just purchased HoT..

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Scarlet’s War is literally just a video recap. If you care about story and achievement points consider buying Living Story 2, if you missed it. I’d start with the Heart of Thorns story as you get a lot of mastery points. Fully train your core skills and you will be able to start training your elite. You’ll need more HPs to full train your elite spec- the Hero Challenges in Heart of Maguuma areas award 10 HPs each.

Just purchased HoT..

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Season 3 is the post-HoT after the Mordremoth story arc. It won’t make a ton of sense without doing HoT first.

Just purchased HoT..

Kinya.4095

Thank guys, I have just skipped the scarlet war video. I will proceed with HoT quest first

Just purchased HoT..

Randulf.7614

Thank guys, I have just skipped the scarlet war video. I will proceed with HoT quest first

Just to confirm, have you done Season 2? HoT will make no sense without S2 being completed since it sets everything up. If you have, then no problem.

Just purchased HoT..

Kinya.4095

Just to confirm, have you done Season 2? HoT will make no sense without S2 being completed since it sets everything up. If you have, then no problem.

I have completed till 8: point of no return. Does that consider as done?

Just purchased HoT..

Randulf.7614

I have completed till 8: point of no return. Does that consider as done?

It does indeed.

Just purchased HoT..

Posted by: Keltan.1827

Keltan.1827

Does season 2 explain who all these NPCs are calling me boss and why the fleet went into Maguuma? And the story with Caithe and the egg?

Just purchased HoT..

Randulf.7614

Does season 2 explain who all these NPCs are calling me boss and why the fleet went into Maguuma? And the story with Caithe and the egg?

Season 1 explains the characters, season2 expands on them a little and the group dynamic. Sadly season 1 is gone and the video recap doesn’t really go into much detail.

Season 2 does cover why the fleet went into the jungle. The story of Caithe and the egg starts in Season and is touched upon in HoT and S3.

Just purchased HoT..

Kinya.4095

By the way, how long is the gameplay of HoT quests?

Just purchased HoT..

Randulf.7614

The storyline itself is very short, but it is artificially lengthened by being gated behind masteries, which means you need spend time doing events in each map before progressing. I would say HoT main story is shorter than s2, but that doesn’t take into account all the little side stories told through events in each map.

It is difficult to put a time frame on how long it will take. Certainly the maps will take some time to explore and complete, especially with all the metas, collections, achievements and the unique way maps are set up compared to core maps.

Just purchased HoT..

Black Iris Flowers.3418

In case you want to know the answers:

We met all of the current characters in Season 1, at different times. Marjory and Kasmeer were investigating an attack on the Queen’s Jubilee, Rox and Braham were trying to rescue norn and charr who were captured by the Flame Legion, and Taimi was studying Scarlett’s Marionette. Everyone came together together and became a group and Scarlett’s war progressed. As you were the Commander of the Pact they considered you the leader and went with ‘boss’.

The Pact went to Maguuma because that’s where Mordremoth woke. They thought they could handle it like Zhaitan, taking a bunch of fleet ships and taking out the dragon. Trahearne and what was left of Destiny’s Edge (Eir, Logan, and Zojja) led the charge. Mordremoth wrecked them with his vines and corrupted most of the Sylvari to turn on their allies. Most of the Pact was destroyed.

Caithe’s Wyld Hunt was to protect the egg. She thought it was her sole responsibility to keep it safe. Instead of talking to us like a rational person she stole it and ran off.