Just wasted an hour of my time in DS.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Look this expansion has been out for 4 months which means quite frankly you should be well past the bug phase. I do not appreciate putting an hour plus into a Meta event in Dragon Stand only to have the map randomly close with time to spare on the clock because your programmers are amateurs.

Please get your crap together, I frankly feel embarrassed for your staff.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Doesn’t that mean the map closed because there were too few people in it? I don’t think the megaserver system cares about met progress or anything like that, it’s simply going off the population of that particular map. It doesn’t make sense for a map to be held open wasting server space/traffic just so a small number of players can keep going. Of course if the map was actually reasonably populated then that definitely is an issue.

Oldirtbeard.9834

It was populated, we were finishing off the meta boss.

Posted by: Random Weirdness.6750

Random Weirdness.6750

the timer will pop if too few players are on it. it doesnt get rid of the timer once enough people populate it again, and will continue clocking down even if the map becomes full. thats the problem with the system atm.

Oldirtbeard.9834

We were killing The Mouth, there was no reason to kill the map, we had basically beaten the Meta!

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

We were killing The Mouth, there was no reason to kill the map, we had basically beaten the Meta!

Where you are in the meta chain has nothing to do with it. If the systems decides that there are too few players in the map it will close it.
You do get a warning though. Players are asked to transfer to a more populated map. If that popup showed up and you all ignored it and chose to keep playing then you did so with the knowledge that the map was going to close at some point.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Where you are in the meta chain has nothing to do with it. If the systems decides that there are too few players in the map it will close it.
You do get a warning though. Players are asked to transfer to a more populated map. If that popup showed up and you all ignored it and chose to keep playing then you did so with the knowledge that the map was going to close at some point.

There is a bug with the system, it sometimes closes instances that are heavily populated. There have been a lot of complaints about it particularly with regard to DS.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Doesn’t that mean the map closed because there were too few people in it? I don’t think the megaserver system cares about met progress or anything like that, it’s simply going off the population of that particular map. It doesn’t make sense for a map to be held open wasting server space/traffic just so a small number of players can keep going. Of course if the map was actually reasonably populated then that definitely is an issue.

It is actually a big known issue with HoT maps regarding mega servers since the xpansion dropped. I don’t know what it is basing its decisions on, to be frank it seems random to me but all of a sudden the game will decide the server is empty and it is going to close the map nevermind all the people grouping up to do metas

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Totally bites. This needs to be fixed.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Even then, 15 minutes to explore the sections full of the worst ennemies in the expansion is the dumbest idea I’ve ever seen, this needs to be changed aswell.

Vayne.8563

Even then, 15 minutes to explore the sections full of the worst ennemies in the expansion is the dumbest idea I’ve ever seen, this needs to be changed aswell.

Just get on a dead map and explore first. You only need a few things at the end then.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Just get on a dead map and explore first. You only need a few things at the end then.

Not if I wanna farm the Ore, and you forget the stupid rolling devils…

Vayne.8563

Exploring is exploring, farming is farming. You don’t have to do them at the same time. If you’re complaining you don’t have enough time to explore that’s one thing. 15 minutes is enough to open a boatload of pods.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Oh look new glider in gem store * chuckle *

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

I don’t understand your struggle, I got 99% completion on DS two days into buying HoT. The last vista requires the poison immunity which I am working on.

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Exploring is exploring, farming is farming. You don’t have to do them at the same time. If you’re complaining you don’t have enough time to explore that’s one thing. 15 minutes is enough to open a boatload of pods.

Just curious, like what is the point of your post?

Like this players finds the 15 minute window to be unacceptable; you don’t. Are you trying to bring them to your side and convince them that your purely subjective opinion is better than their purely subjective opinion?

Or do you think that your purely subjective opinion trumps all and because 15 minutes is enough for you, it’s good enough for every single player who plays the game?

Or maybe you are part of that percentage of people on the forums who just seem determined to railroad any discussion involving criticism of the game, even if that criticism could help to make a better over all experience for everyone?

And, if we extended the time from 15 minutes to 30 minutes, what detriment would that cause the game? Like what awful, game ending thing would happen that warrants you telling everyone on the forums to essentially shut up, because “15 minutes is enough time, because you think it is”

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Potential causes of the OP’s problem:

• The map gets tagged for closing, and does not lose that tag when “enough” players enter the map (via taxi or w/ever) and are completing the meta. Solution: the mega server system should check the map population periodically and remove the close tag if a threshold is reached.
  • If there already is such a function (and past experience suggests this may be the case), then the thresholds are too high compared to the threshold for event viability. This may also be the case from the get-go. If the threshold to start the map closure thing is high enough that some groups of players can complete the meta, then once again the threshold for closure is too high. Solution: adjust the bloody numbers.

Next thing I’ll ask. If we’re going to be saddled with these lengthy, timed events which are most of the zone’s reason for existence, and we’re going to be saddled with mega-servers and thus map closures, why did it not occur to ANet to time the zone closure with the end of the meta + 15 minutes downtime period? DS pretty much resets when that happens anyway. Since it wasn’t put in at HoT launch, why can such a closure method not be implemented now?

Vayne.8563

Like this players finds the 15 minute window to be unacceptable; you don’t. Are you trying to bring them to your side and convince them that your purely subjective opinion is better than their purely subjective opinion?

Or do you think that your purely subjective opinion trumps all and because 15 minutes is enough for you, it’s good enough for every single player who plays the game?

Or maybe you are part of that percentage of people on the forums who just seem determined to railroad any discussion involving criticism of the game, even if that criticism could help to make a better over all experience for everyone?

And, if we extended the time from 15 minutes to 30 minutes, what detriment would that cause the game? Like what awful, game ending thing would happen that warrants you telling everyone on the forums to essentially shut up, because “15 minutes is enough time, because you think it is”

The point of my post is that you only have 15 minutes if you’re doing the meta first and then exploring. But you don’t have to do the meta to unlock and explore most of the zone, because that’s what I did. And that gives you a lot more than 15 minutes.

I just go on a map where the meta isn’t being done and I run past stuff and explore. Most of the stuff comes in waves of three you can easy side step. Sometimes you have t to fight if you don’t time it right.

So my point is there is an alternative to the 15 minute thing. I always look for solutions to problems that already exist before I start asking for things to to be changed.

Now once you have the zone done, it’s quite easy to get the remaining hero points and the vista in 15 minutes.

I was suggesting a solution to the problem that OP had.

Posted by: Sinzaku.2980

Sinzaku.2980

Happend to me twice i feel ur pain ^^

“Necromancer in Heart and Soul” ~ #8k Hours#Asura
-(EvE ~ EU)-

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Perhaps ArenaNet should think about making the timed maps exempt from the Mega-server closing system. Not just for a map where people want to succeed in the meta events, but also for people who have had been doing small events, like when I was doing the SCAR events in Tangled Depths, I get to halfway through them, when the volunteer pops up – meaning if I click yes, I lose my 160% or whatever progress. If I click no, I stand to end up on my own for some of the more difficult events.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: cyfinity.2078

cyfinity.2078

just happened again where the map closes randomly on everyone on the map on teh mouth of mordremoth. I waited a month after it happened to me 5 times in a row, guess they don’t intend on fixing this map ever. ill just stick to ab and td till i get other players that can confirm it doesn’t happen.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Perhaps ArenaNet should think about making the timed maps exempt from the Mega-server closing system. Not just for a map where people want to succeed in the meta events, but also for people who have had been doing small events, like when I was doing the SCAR events in Tangled Depths, I get to halfway through them, when the volunteer pops up – meaning if I click yes, I lose my 160% or whatever progress. If I click no, I stand to end up on my own for some of the more difficult events.

And then lose your progress anyway after an hour because if you get the popup once, you will be moved to a more empty, euh, I mean more active, map, even thiugh your current map was doing fine…

One reason I prefer not to do any events in any Hot map: you can very easily lose your progress without any blame on your side.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Weird – managed to taxi everyone into supposedly closing maps over last 3 days… AB and DS maps (inc starting one 10 mins + after timer has started)..

I have seen the pop up volunteer on the side disappear and complete the meta events successfully – it worked as we kept taxis up and generally ignored those in map who would say the map would close regardless .

The DS map inactivity timer was obviously flagging up that people had initially left that map for the first available organised ones..but we managed to repopulate the map and it was fine in the end. Boom killed Mordy and got our 15 min explore at the end,

It’s possible there is a bug on the activity threshold on events being completed.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

The point of my post is that you only have 15 minutes if you’re doing the meta first and then exploring. But you don’t have to do the meta to unlock and explore most of the zone, because that’s what I did. And that gives you a lot more than 15 minutes.

I just go on a map where the meta isn’t being done and I run past stuff and explore. Most of the stuff comes in waves of three you can easy side step. Sometimes you have t to fight if you don’t time it right.

So my point is there is an alternative to the 15 minute thing. I always look for solutions to problems that already exist before I start asking for things to to be changed.

Now once you have the zone done, it’s quite easy to get the remaining hero points and the vista in 15 minutes.

How is that a solution to the original poster? He/she was commenting in regards to being in a full blown meta and the server kicking them out while they were killing the final boss?

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Vayne.8563

How is that a solution to the original poster? He/she was commenting in regards to being in a full blown meta and the server kicking them out while they were killing the final boss?

Because if he did it my way in the first place, he’d never have gotten kicked,, that’s how it’s a solution.

In other words, if you’re on a new map (which is what happens my way) and it’s nearly full already and the population never dips, then the map doesn’t close.

Obviously I can’t go back in time and fix what happened to the OP, but surely giving him a way to start the meta so that doesn’t happen again is a solution.

I don’t even understand your question.

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

just happened again where the map closes randomly on everyone on the map on teh mouth of mordremoth. I waited a month after it happened to me 5 times in a row, guess they don’t intend on fixing this map ever. ill just stick to ab and td till i get other players that can confirm it doesn’t happen.

Weird, I’ve done DS dozens of times without issue… Maybe you’re unlucky, or maybe you’re exaggerating to make a point.

Vayne.8563

Because if he did it my way in the first place, he’d never have gotten kicked,, that’s how it’s a solution.

In other words, if you’re on a new map (which is what happens my way) and it’s nearly full already and the population never dips, then the map doesn’t close.

Obviously I can’t go back in time and fix what happened to the OP, but surely giving him a way to start the meta so that doesn’t happen again is a solution.

I don’t even understand your question.

So in other words its your way or they are wrong.

As has been stated even by ArenaNet they have issues with their servers.

If a map fills it should not close but it does, and just because you agree to switch servers doesn’t mean everyone gets on the same server.

Also that is not a solution it is your opinion.

As far as understanding my question I apologize for using words that you can’t understand. I’ll try to do better next time.

Okay the OP stated the problem and it’s been theorized that the reason it happens is because the map closes anyway even though it’s populated after it’s unpopulated. My way works because the new map never gets unpopulated, never gets the closing message and so you never get kicked. I’ve already said in this very thread that Anet needs to fix this, so clearly this is not a long term solution but a temporary work around.

I’m not quite sure what your issue with me suggesting something that can help people is, but you’ve definitely got the wrong end of the stick. I’m not saying people have to do this. I’m saying this is something that worked for me that avoids some of the pitfalls of not doing it. Surely that has more value than just yelling at the company to fix something. Even if they do fix it it’ll take time. In the mean time, this has worked for me.

I’m not sure what your issue is with someone suggesting a temporary measure to work around a bug.

Because from my “personal” experience your way does not always work. I have seen maps split even when they accept moving to a new server.

Some are placed into the next server with more players while others are placed in another dead server and they miss the event.

I have been grouped in a squad with Guildies and random players from the map and we have gotten seperated and are unable to join others on the map, even when they tried to click join on whatever server to join.

This is not the fix all, the issue is ArenaNet needs to do something but either haven’t or can’t. After all this time we should not still be using a “workaround” that in itself is not 100%….

I never claimed it was a fix all. I did say it’s never failed me, and I did say that it’s a work around. I feel like you’re being unreasonable.

Someone has a problem, I suggested a possible solution after saying it sucks and Anet should fix it.

Whether or not it works 100% of the time for you or not, it’s work 100% of the times that I’ve done it. I’ve not been in a single map that closed from lack of population when I’ve done this.

Basically you’re saying no one should ever share their experience to try to help other people. I disagree.

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

Sorry you lost an hour I see people dc’ing in my DS maps too. Sucks, man. Usually in DS i just pan my camera towards a wall and not use skills if I can at the MoM part. I find that if I don’t participate as much, I don’t get dc’d as much.