Language portuguese

Language portuguese

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Retalhador.1372

Retalhador.1372

Sorry for my bad English.

In the expansion you guys are intended to include the translation into Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal etc.).

The game already has more than 3 years and you guys still not translated to this language. I hope that with this expansion will bubo Portuguese.

Language portuguese

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

As a Portuguese speaker that even worked on translating online games (well one online game). I hate it.. I hate dubbed movies, i hate translated games and movies…
Too much is lost in the translation, and it just feels icky to me.
Stuff like the wiki and maybe the website might be useful if translated though.
I do get that many people want this, but to me personally, its not really something i look forward to.

Language portuguese

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I’m Brazilian and sadly Brazil and Portugual are a small market in GW2, when they make localization they need to hire translators and give support to them, and all that cost is very likely to not be worth.

Also I agree with ReaverKane, games with Portuguese localization sounds and looks weird most of the times, it is extremely rare to see a good one.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Language portuguese

Retalhador.1372

As a Portuguese speaker that even worked on translating online games (well one online game). I hate it.. I hate dubbed movies, i hate translated games and movies…
Too much is lost in the translation, and it just feels icky to me.
Stuff like the wiki and maybe the website might be useful if translated though.
I do get that many people want this, but to me personally, its not really something i look forward to.

1-To play in English, and thank you not, the legend moves in game.

2- NO small group people player gw2, some people player. WE have some big clans Pt-br

Language portuguese

Posted by: RazielSpecter.6295

RazielSpecter.6295

Well, im brazillian too, but theres nothing dubbled in guild wars 2, just translated. And if the game was translated, it would be under the supervision of the staff of the game, right? Nothing will be lost.

Vlad Streavious – Tarnished Coast

Language portuguese

Retalhador.1372

Sorry say that, i am not love dubbled, but some games have very good dubbled , SC II very cool dubbled more I’m asking just a translation. I think unfair many Brazilian players who do not know English do the quest without understanding almost nothing.

Language portuguese

Belzebu.3912

but theres nothing dubbled in guild wars 2, just translated.

Actually they DO dub most, if not all, voice overs in German, French and Spanish.

I think unfair many Brazilian players who do not know English do the quest without understanding almost nothing.

Same thing could be said for Russian, Polish, Japanese, Dutch, Danish, Finnish … players.
Also, I know many native english speakers that do the quests without understanding the story haha

Language portuguese

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

but theres nothing dubbled in guild wars 2, just translated.

Actually they DO dub most, if not all, voice overs in German, French and Spanish.

I think unfair many Brazilian players who do not know English do the quest without understanding almost nothing.

Same thing could be said for Russian, Polish, Japanese, Dutch, Danish, Finnish … players.
Also, I know many native english speakers that do the quests without understanding the story haha

My game client have no Spanish dub. Is it a bug? Really important to me, I learn that language)

By the way Russians even can’t use Cyrillic in game chat, no wonder why Russian GW2 community is smaller than GW1 were back in the day.

Language portuguese

Belzebu.3912

My game client have no Spanish dub. Is it a bug? Really important to me, I learn that language)

My bad, dub is only in French and German. Spanish have only translation.

Language portuguese

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Also I agree with ReaverKane, games with Portuguese localization sounds and looks weird most of the times, it is extremely rare to see a good one.

The Blizzard translation of StarCraft 2 to Portuguese was very well done. ArenaNet would never bother with that kind of thing, but at least Blizzard did it right.

Language portuguese

Belzebu.3912

Yes, most Blizzard games and LoL have really good localization, but those are among the rare ones I mentioned.

Language portuguese

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

I don’t want to sound nationalistic or anything, but I think it will sound a little rude. I’m not native english speaker, I’m from slavic origin country so even twice as hard to understand germanic origin languages which english is also one of. In my opinion if english was chosen as multinational language to communicate between countries, it’s YOUR and MINE job to learn it to level where you can understand games / movies / tourists. Therefore I am extremely against adding more languages to Guild Wars 2, seeing as french and spanish players already make too much of a problem after megaservers were introduced.

Learn english, move on. Portuguese bad.

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”

Language portuguese

Yakez.7561

I don’t want to sound nationalistic or anything, but I think it will sound a little rude. I’m not native english speaker, I’m from slavic origin country so even twice as hard to understand germanic origin languages which english is also one of. In my opinion if english was chosen as multinational language to communicate between countries, it’s YOUR and MINE job to learn it to level where you can understand games / movies / tourists. Therefore I am extremely against adding more languages to Guild Wars 2, seeing as french and spanish players already make too much of a problem after megaservers were introduced.

Learn English, move on. Portuguese bad.

No offense, but who chose English as international language? More people speak Chinese or Spanish than English. Every region on the planet have their own strong regional languages as well, like Spanish in South America or Russian in former Soviet block countries. English international only for North America and half of Europe. This is American way to say that English is international. People learn English to consume USA culture only because it has ridiculous amounts of cash invested in it. And things like that change really fast.

And don’t say to me that tons of former British colonies use and know English well. They don’t. I work at hotel industry and saw their knowledge enough…

P.S. I learned English only to watch Star Wars in original lol. Now I work every day with this kitten…

Language portuguese

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

What I meant is that english was chosen by most countries for various reasons, also because it’s actually one of easiest languages to learn grammar. Best example is Netherlands, when I was spending my vacations there I had no problem with communicating, those people in 90% know english, also willingly learn french, without moaning and whining that France should learn dutch instead.

Chinese is not that easy to speak or learn, is most used language only because of population as you know, so your example makes no sense.

Spanish is more used than english but not because it was better in terms of usefulness but because english native speaking countries took it as their foreign language, because of Spain, Mexico and all this and that. To feel equal mostly, like we learn their native language, so they learn spanish because it’s nice to know foreign language. This example by you also makes no sense therefore.

That doesn’t change the fact that majority of world actually learns english even as required foreign language, and second foreign you can choose yourself.

Therefore, there is no need to introduce new languages to every online game as it can also create problems with communication on megaservers later on.
We all learned english or are learning, new people can also then, no easygoing and no being lazy, time to become open for world once instead of requiring handicap of own native languages and kittening other people off by own stubborness about native languages. Won’t say details but some countries proved perfectly that refusing to learn english annoys us in the end heavily.

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”

Language portuguese

Belzebu.3912

The society chose English as the international language, sure “Chinese” is the most spoken language, but the relevance is far lower than many other languages.

Half of the world’s information (I can’t remember the source, so just bear with me) is in English , the standard scientific language currently is English (used to be French) , no matter where you study, post graduation formations you are required to write your paper or even your presentation in English .

Machiavell is correct, I think that if you want to interact with the world, you need to learn English or just deal with the consequences of not understanding half of the info that exists.

Language portuguese

Yakez.7561

People you don’t get it. Yes it is okay to use English for international communications. Yes it makes thing easy. Problem is that people can’t enjoy they favorite game in their native language. They pay their money, Anet exist on their regional market, but don’t want to do anything about it. (it is obvious because GW1 had way more languages to choose from, and it had less people playing).

To learn English from the scratch to the good level you need to spend like… 10-15 years. No seriously. I started to learn it when I was 4, and was able to communicate properly only when I was around 16-17, and really understand it when I was 20-21. This game is 12+ by the way. Yes it is easier when you are know already language from Germanic group, and when you are like 25 and have clear mindset… but this game is 12+.

Spanish is not bigger because of non-native speakers. It is just big. If you complain that you don’t understand them, learn it. It is funny language))

(edited by Yakez.7561)

Language portuguese

RazielSpecter.6295

The problem is not learn the language. What i think is if they translated to Russian, Spanish and German, they could translated to my language too.

Language portuguese

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The problem is not learn the language. What i think is if they translated to Russian, Spanish and German, they could translated to my language too.

They have not translated it to Russian.

Both Spanish and German are very large languages, with rather large playerbases (I seem to recall something about the German playerbase alone being bigger than the whole NA playerbase back in GW1. I’ll see if I can find it.

If they start translating into minor languages they would suddenly have to start supporting hundreds of languages, which would require hundreds of new employees which would require millions of dollars.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Language portuguese

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

I want a translation to klingon too.We dont have english schools here and i have many friends that want to play gw2 and cant.Plz anet do something.We pay good.

Language portuguese

Retalhador.1372

Both Spanish and German are very large languages, with rather large playerbases (I seem to recall something about the German playerbase alone being bigger than the whole NA playerbase back in GW1. I’ll see if I can find it.

If they start translating into minor languages they would suddenly have to start supporting hundreds of languages, which would require hundreds of new employees which would require millions of dollars.

1- Germany not large languages. Verty small languages use in the world.

2-Portuguese used in 9 countries as an official language, and in more than 20 paieses as a second language more. On average 340 million people speak Portuguese as the language oficial.E the fifth most spoken language in the world. (Data taken from google)

(edited by Retalhador.1372)

Language portuguese

Retalhador.1372

fifth most spoken language in the world. Why not translator ?….

Language portuguese

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Well, im brazillian too, but theres nothing dubbled in guild wars 2, just translated. And if the game was translated, it would be under the supervision of the staff of the game, right? Nothing will be lost.

errrm, the phrase lost in translation does not refer to missing lines or words.

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Language portuguese

Algreg.3629

2-Portuguese used in 9 countries as an official language, and in more than 20 paieses as a second language more. On average 340 million people speak Portuguese as the language oficial.E the fifth most spoken language in the world. (Data taken from google)

A lot of people speaking a language does not equal a large market. And the German language market is the biggest in Europe I think. Russian gamers have a history of being fluent in english on a gaming level.

But in the end: If market research would suggest there was money to be made vs. costs, there would be a portuguese version, with or without your demand. Simple as that.

Language portuguese

Belzebu.3912

Number of people that speaks a language in the world doesn’t relate to number or possible players to the game.
Portuguese have a very large number of speakers, but a small number of possible players, and many from that small amount of players knows how to speak English so the need of a translation even smaller.

I don’t see ANet translating this game in any other language, Chinise was the only one that was a possibility in my opinion, but they got their own client so they are already covering the best cost/benefit languages they can.

EDIT: lol @Algreg great minds thinks alike eh?

Language portuguese

lordkrall.7241

It might not be a large language overall (it is spoken in 3 countries as the main language), but the MARKET it rather large when it comes to German gamers.
Why do you think the biggest European gaming convention takes place in Germany?

The amount speaking a language worldwide is completely irrelevant though. It is a question about how many that speak that language that plays the game. The second largest language in the world Spanish. The third is English. Fourth is Hindi and Fight is Arabic. (and that is only taking into consideration native speakers).

That would suggest that before the game was translated into Portuguese it should be translated into Hindi and Arabic, since there are more people speaking those languages.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Language portuguese

Algreg.3629

Number of people that speaks a language in the world doesn’t relate to number or possible players to the game.
Portuguese have a very large number of speakers, but a small number of possible players, and many from that small amount of players knows how to speak English so the need of a translation even smaller.

I don’t see ANet translating this game in any other language, Chinise was the only one that was a possibility in my opinion, but they got their own client so they are already covering the best cost/benefit languages they can.

EDIT: lol @Algreg great minds thinks alike eh?

I take it but really, we are just stating the obvious. To add one thing – not in a million years would I play a game or watch a movie in a translated German (my native tongue) version when I have access to the original. That even applies to French stuff which, being really rusty, gives me a rough time. Translations are never the same as originals, in very few cases, they are even better (German version of Big Lebowski e.g. is even greater than the original), but usually, they fail – because it is really hard to catch the spirit of the original in a different language and because more often than not distributors don´t really put enough ressources into localizations.

Language portuguese

Belzebu.3912

I totally agree, except for cartoons/animations, Brazilian dubs are amazing and since animations are all dubbed anyway, I’ll go for my native tongue.

Language portuguese

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

German is an official Minority language in 7 of Germanys neighbouring countries and in 2, except of Germany it is one of the offical languages. Not to forget there are enough countries, like for example on eastern Europe that have german native speaking Minorities or speak languages very close to German.
It may not be the biggest speaker group, but German is still in den Top Ten.

However what it is probably more important for A.net: There may be only 185.000.000 people in the world that speak German, but central Europe is a pretty rich region with a high standard of life, so the chance that a very big part of them owns a PC and so is a potential costumer of a.net is probably a few percents higher then people that speak Portuguese.
they’re also more likely to buy in-game stuff, since the avarage life standard is higher.
I read a study made during the football WC last years, that in brazil only 50% of the people have access to the internet and then, from that 50% you’ve got to subtract the people that use mobile phones or tablets to use the internet and people that visit an internet café to do so.
A.net has to think comercially and decide which markets are the most likely one to be potential costumers. this isn’t meant to be racist, or that they don’t “like” the other languages, it’s an economical decision.

Also: Germany has already a pretty good dub-scene (eventhough of course some games/movies are still kitteny kitty). The infrastructure to make dubs for that language is already there, so people are used to getting translated stuff especially since the german group of players in GW1 was pretty big. Chance is, that some people wouldn’t have buyed an untranslated version.

i personally don’t like the English version, because i personally think the German one sounds more “fantasy”-like. In other games, books and movies i prefer the original language and subs, but GW2 just sounds more epic in German, in my humble personal opinion.

Language portuguese

RazielSpecter.6295

Well, it is not an obligation of them (Anet), but i would really like that translation. And im saying about the portuguese because is my native tongue, but it also serves for chinese or other language. Just the translation, no need dub xD

Language portuguese

Algreg.3629

German is an official Minority language in 7 of Germanys neighbouring countries and in 2, except of Germany it is one of the offical languages. Not to forget there are enough countries, like for example on eastern Europe that have german native speaking Minorities or speak languages very close to German.

However what it is probably more important for A.net: There may be only 185.000.000 people in the world that speak German, but central Europe is a pretty rich region with a high standard of life, so the chance that a very big part of them owns a PC and so is a potential costumer of a.net is probably a few percents higher then people that speak Portuguese.
they’re also more likely to buy in-game stuff, since the avarage life standard is higher.
I read a study made during the football WC last years, that in brazil only 50% of the people have access to the internet and then, from that 50% you’ve got to subtract the people that use mobile phones or tablets to use the internet and people that visit an internet café to do so.
A.net has to think comercially and decide which markets are the most likely one to be potential costumers. this isn’t meant to be racist, or that they don’t “like” the other languages, it’s an economical decision.

Also: Germany has already a pretty good dub-scene (eventhough of course some games/movies are still kitteny kitty). The infrastructure to make dubs for that language is already there, so people are used to getting translated stuff especially since the german group of players in GW1 was pretty big. Chance is, that some people wouldn’t have buyed an untranslated version.

i personally don’t like the English version, because i personally think the German one sounds more “fantasy”-like. In other games, books and movies i prefer the original language and subs, but GW2 just sounds more epic in German, in my humble personal opinion.

yeah, well, in the end, there just is no objective measurement for art, so personal taste of cause matters a lot. As for the Brazilian guys: Don´t get me wrong, it´s not like I dislike you having a translated version, just bringing up the facts why there probably won´t be any. And without wanting to sound too “teachy”, you can see it as an opportunity. I mainly learned English with games as a kid and if you do this, you will discover a very rich source of art and entertainment beyond the translations you consume now. It´s really worth a try.

Language portuguese

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I’m brazilian too, and I think it’s VERY unlikely they will ever translate it. Tbh it’s not really necessary, and as some people pointed out we have yet to find a good translation aside from Blizzard games which are surprisingly well-done.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Language portuguese

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i want a dutch translation, it’s spoken in different parts of the world but it’s not translated in GW2 ether.
however, i don’t kitten about it, it’s time you learn some english.
i did and i am horrible in learning languages, if i can do it then everyone can.

Language portuguese

Yakez.7561

It might not be a large language overall (it is spoken in 3 countries as the main language), but the MARKET it rather large when it comes to German gamers.
Why do you think the biggest European gaming convention takes place in Germany?

The amount speaking a language worldwide is completely irrelevant though. It is a question about how many that speak that language that plays the game. The second largest language in the world Spanish. The third is English. Fourth is Hindi and Fight is Arabic. (and that is only taking into consideration native speakers).

That would suggest that before the game was translated into Portuguese it should be translated into Hindi and Arabic, since there are more people speaking those languages.

HIndi and Arabic are both referred to very different “culture” group they mostly unlikely would consume GW2 product. For example GW2 have alcohol drinking, it is different planet for most of the Arabic world.

On other hand countries like Greece, Italy, Portugal (and other Portuguese-speaking countries), Spain (and other Spanish-speaking countries), even Russia with CIS exists in the same “western” culture sphere as Germany, France, USA, UK, etc. and consume GW2 product.

By the way Russians that speak good English in games is a tip of the iceberg. It is like 1/20 of possible playerbase. I know it, I’m Russian.

Language portuguese

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

It’s only 6 countries officially. Not that it matters that much though.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Language portuguese

lordkrall.7241

HIndi and Arabic are both referred to very different “culture” group they mostly unlikely would consume GW2 product. For example GW2 have alcohol drinking, it is different planet for most of the Arabic world.

On other hand countries like Greece, Italy, Portugal (and other Portuguese-speaking countries), Spain (and other Spanish-speaking countries), even Russia with CIS exists in the same “western” culture sphere as Germany, France, USA, UK, etc. and consume GW2 product.

By the way Russians that speak good English in games is a tip of the iceberg. It is like 1/20 of possible playerbase. I know it, I’m Russian.

Which is basically my point.
The number of people that speak a language have nothing at all to do with how many people play a game. Therefore it is completely irrelevant to which languages the game should be available in.

Of course there are people that play it in those countries. But lets say there is a total of 10 000 people that speak Portuguese that plays GW2. Should ArenaNet really spend hundred of thousands of dollars just to translate it for those 10k people?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Language portuguese

Yakez.7561

The number of people that speak a language have nothing at all to do with how many people play a game. Therefore it is completely irrelevant to which languages the game should be available in.

Of course there are people that play it in those countries. But lets say there is a total of 10 000 people that speak Portuguese that plays GW2. Should ArenaNet really spend hundred of thousands of dollars just to translate it for those 10k people?

Actually yes, translations do bring a lot of new players, translations do not affect any existing players. As I sad before I have many Russian friends that don’t know English well and that’s why they never even try GW2. Games generally are being translated (even to Portugeese), to be sold for more people. Anet are just lazy in terms of any coordinated localisation work, for now.

It is normal for games be translated in 5-7 “european” languages, it is not normal for AAA title be translated in 2.5 languages.

(edited by Yakez.7561)

Language portuguese

lordkrall.7241

So they should spend millions of dollars for something that MAYBE will generate some income?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Language portuguese

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Actually yes, translations do bring a lot of new players, translations do not affect any existing players. As I sad before I have many Russian friends that don’t know English well and that’s why they never even try GW2. Games generally are being translated (even to Portugeese), to be sold for more people. Anet are just lazy in terms of any coordinated localisation work, for now.

It is normal for games be translated in 5-7 “european” languages, it is not normal for AAA title be translated in 2.5 languages.

Translations do affect existing players. ANet has only so much money to pay for all the things it wants to do in the game. Like any company, they have a budget. If they are going to pay for new translations then the money for that comes out of money they were planning to use elsewhere, such as new content for existing players or bug fixes. Every time they add more content to the game then they have to pay for more translations. Unless it can be shown that paying the cost to hire translators is worth it in terms of increased income to both pay for the new costs and to make a profit, they aren’t going to do that.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Language portuguese

Algreg.3629

there is no “lazy” in the corporate world when money is involved. If market projections showed a good revenue for a Russian or whatever translation, you would get it. It is not that hard. Also, there is no liability for them to do any translation, on which your “lazy” accusation had to be based on.

Language portuguese

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I thought we already had portuguese in game

Rude.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Language portuguese

Posted by: LadyMari.7920

LadyMari.7920

By the way Russians even can’t use Cyrillic in game chat, no wonder why Russian GW2 community is smaller than GW1 were back in the day.

I was very upset when I found that I could not type in cyrillic. I was so hoping to improve my Russian. Forget translation- just being able to TYPE in the language would be nice!

Language portuguese

Posted by: JosepITA.3780

JosepITA.3780

I’m italian and we Italians have asked localization (at least text)

Insert subtitles not is very expensive and I am sure, if a.net translate the game with another language many other players buy the game.

Language portuguese

lordkrall.7241

Insert subtitles not is very expensive and I am sure, if a.net translate the game with another language many other players buy the game.

But it is expensive, since they need to hire people for all the translations, especially considering how often they release stuff during LS seasons. Sure, some people might by the game with the new translation, but it is extremely unlikely that enough people will buy it in order to justify the (ongoing) costs.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Language portuguese

Algreg.3629

their marketeers apparently think otherwise. And they have financial stats. And in general more information than you. Businesses are attracted to profit like, well, insert a fitting analogy of your liking here. Apparently there is none to be expected. It is not that hard to understand, especially as everything has been brought up earlier in this thread.

Language portuguese

Belzebu.3912

Besides hiring translators for every text they made and will make, Anet needs to offer support for the languages they provide, so in general they will need GMs, CMs and translators for every language they add.
You can say “But only translation for me is enough” but in reality that is not how it works and the support is required.