Learning the Language

Learning the Language

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Vax Tezhme.7128

Vax Tezhme.7128

The Mastery system has the ability to learn the Itzel language – I wonder how that will work? Will you just get told “You don’t understand what they say” dialog boxes? Will tbe language show up as nonsense unless you have the right Mastery levels? Is there any attempt at a constructed language, a la Dothraki in Game of Thrones?

I am not expecting an actual conlang, though that would be awesome. If Anet doesn’t have a conlang, maybe I will make one. I’ve done professional conlang creation, and I am working on an Asuran conlang anyway

Learning the Language

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i doubt they will come up with their own language. at most you can expect a cypher (hi new krytan, ascalonian, asuran).

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Learning the Language

Posted by: Tharinock.9306

Tharinock.9306

I would guess that you would get gibberish until you get the mastery. Since there are potentially many languages, it is probably not worth it for ANet to actually construct a full language for every race. Also note that it seems the masteries have multiple levels. So perhaps as you rank it up, you will also gain a better cultural understanding (and unlock lore info) of the race, as well as learning the special fighting techniques (or climbing/swimming/etc…) that they use. Here’s to hoping there’s a Quaggan mastery tree!

Learning the Language

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

I’m wondering if I will even care what the npcs are saying, I’ve never paid much attention to dialog, and have had the game sound off since day one. Do NPC’s even say anything relevant to gameplay?