Legendary Armor: Runes

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Aostor.9138

Aostor.9138

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but how will the new legendary armor handle runes? Yes, like weapons, swapping stats can be a very convenient tool, but sooooo many builds are dependent on the runes that accompany them.

For example, if I have my sentinel gear on with runes of the trooper for WvW (an approximately ~7g set) and I decide I want to switch to my zerk gear with runes of strength (an approximately ~50g set) for some dungeon runs, will I have to sink hundreds of gold into extra rune sets? O.o

Alternatively (this is a lot to ask, I know), will there be a built in “rune swap” option on legendary armor. Currently I have 3 ascended sets of armor for my guardian, and I switch gear multiple times a day usually (fractals, WvW, dungeons, and general sex appeal). It would be pretty painful to have to have a massive store of runes.

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Would be nice, wouldnt it?. I seriously doubt it will come to pass though, given our legendary weapons not having that feature.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I have no legendaries but I think it would be nice if they could slot a number of different runes or sigils. Maybe limited to 5 or so runes or sigils that you can change via a drop down. Otherwise I can see the stat swapping being used a lot less than people think.

Posted by: Marko.1895

Marko.1895

Make it so that whenever you apply a new rune to a piece of armor, it updates the “library” of available runes for that piece with that rune for free swapping down the line. Basically you would be unlocking runes for armor when you apply them for first time. No free runes and no waste of gold

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Make it so that whenever you apply a new rune to a piece of armor, it updates the “library” of available runes for that piece with that rune for free swapping down the line. Basically you would be unlocking runes for armor when you apply them for first time. No free runes and no waste of gold

So just like the drop down menu for gear in PvP?

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

So just like the drop down menu for gear in PvP?

Yeah, exactly.

I just think the runes should be character unlocks though, not armor piece specific.

This really needs to happen, imo, makes legendary stat swapping far less appealing if you cannot also swap the sigil or rune at the same time. I have two legends and run into this issue all the time, so end up just making another ascended weapon I can put a different sigil on. Sucks.

The ability to swap stats on legendary armor is the real draw card for me, since I could do away with a dozen sets of armor, but its pointless without the ability to swap runes too.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Wouldn’t that kind of effect the economy in a negative way. Like given time most/everyone will have legendaries and all runes unlocked in a swappable system, and so the rune price will drop/decrease…? Whereas the runes not being swappable provide a goldsink (the tax).

Like I’m no econ major or anything but I can see that happening, no not in a month but over a greater span of time.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Wouldn’t that kind of effect the economy in a negative way. Like given time most/everyone will have legendaries and all runes unlocked in a swappable system, and so the rune price will drop/decrease…? Whereas the runes not being swappable provide a goldsink (the tax).

Like I’m no econ major or anything but I can see that happening, no not in a month but over a greater span of time.

The huge cost of a legendary would prevent that from happening. It’s not like everyone has a legendary weapon now and so the exotic crafting market has crashed. Maybe if the game lasts for 20 years or so it’d be a problem, but I don’t expect that to happen.

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

I think this should apply to any armor that you put runes/sigils in.

But I doubt it would effect the economy that much. People still get new armor and need new runes. Also the way it is now you put an expensive run in your ascended and… never change it cause it would cost 60g to do so. So we are already at the point where it effects rune/sigil prices..

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

You are correct, it definitely would, though not as much as you think.

The QoL improvement would be vast and worth it. Since you most likely only have one set of armor with the same runes, it wouldn’t make that big a difference, since you can continually salvage those runes back out with a BL kit anyway, the runes are never destroyed and remain in the game.

This way, unlocking for legendary, the runes are destroyed and removed from the game as an item. You still have to buy 6 runes and unlock them for the character, so unless you intend on having more than one set of armor with the same runes, it makes no difference. It would also remove a bulk amount of the cheap runes and sigils from the TP because why not buy them all to unlock if you can anyway?

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Guys

Legendary Runes and Sigils

followed by

Legendary Infusions

It’s the obvious eventual outcome.

Anet wants to add value to “elite” gear without adding mechanical power creep. This is the next logical step after every gear slot has a legendary option or two. It would likely be far cheaper to craft, and would give them an excuse to do more shiny particle effects without also having to design multiple races and gender variations.

They’d just make “Legendary” effects for the sigil procs and 6 slot effects, and they’d say “Now you can truly complete your legendary equipment!”

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ