Legendary "Handful" Speculation

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

What do you guys think the new handful of Legendaries will be? My speculation is more of the most popular ones:

• Greatsword
  • Staff
  • Sword
  • Dagger
  • Longbow

What are your guys’ guesses? Also, why do you think we are only getting a handful of new ones? Are you cool with them not doing a full set for the x-pac straight off or does it bug you? Will the later ones only be for x-pac purchasers or will anyone be able to get those?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

1 new one per weapon. All obtained from crafting.

Iason Evan.3806

We aren’t getting 1 new one per weapon at launch though. They already confirmed that. My question is which ones do you think we are getting?

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

• Greatsword
  • Rifle
  • Staff
  • Hammer
  • Shield
  • Longbow
  • Sword
  • +Whatever the warrior ends up getting as a specialization weapon
^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

We aren’t getting 1 new one per weapon at launch though. They already confirmed that. My question is which ones do you think we are getting?

If a specialization can use it, it will no doubt have a new legendary. I’d be surprised if they don’t launch with 1 new one per weapon though despite what is said.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

1 legendary type minus under water ones.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

It would make sense to add the new legendaries by decreasing order of the number of professions able to wield it. Secondly, main-hand weapons and two-handed weapons are more important. Finally, we have to take into account that the most played professions are warrior and ranger (probably), and the least played probably necromancer, mesmer and engineer. Exlcuding the revenant and specializations, it would look like this:

1) Sword, Staff and GS. Five out of the eight current professions can use a sword, and it’s the emblematic weapon for heroic-fantasy games. Greatsword is probably the most popular weapon in the game, because every ranger/warrior worthy of the name keeps one in his inventory, and four professions can use it. The staff is the ultimate caster weapon, and four professions can use it, plus it’s two-handed, so it’s probably one of the top priorities.

2) Dagger, scepter and possibly focus. Four professions can use these weapons, and dagger especially is popular on a lot of meta builds in pvp. I added focus even if it’s less likely, because it can be virtually anything, so if I was on Anet’s Legendary design team, I think that would be one of the best weapon to design.

3) Everything else.

Iason Evan.3806

If a specialization can use it, it will no doubt have a new legendary. I’d be surprised if they don’t launch with 1 new one per weapon though despite what is said.

Really? Even though they confirmed not all of them are making it in at launch you think they are?

I am really interested in whether or not the ones they add in later are going to be for x-pac purchasers only or if everyone can make them. If it’s only for x-pac purchasers, then color me disappointed that they can’t find the time to get these all in on launch day despite the fact devs have been talking about new ones coming into the game for two years now.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Focus, Mace, Pistol, Short Bow, Staff, Long Bow

… considering back when they first revealed that they were creating a second set of legendaries, they said they would likely start with the less serious ones.

However, to please the majority, they might as well just start off with the most popular types.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The first ones? The underwater trio obviously.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

• +Whatever the warrior ends up getting as a specialization weapon

I think the 1st set of new legendary will be the ones that Revenant can use.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

So long as the axe looks cool, I don’t care.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Where exactly did they confirm this? All I read was that this “handful” would be coming first, and that they were making more than just one new set in the future. That does not say anything about not having a full set come with HoT, if they consider a full set to be a “handful” in comparison to the future set(s) they want to make.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Iason Evan.3806

Where exactly did they confirm this? All I read was that this “handful” would be coming first, and that they were making more than just one new set in the future. That does not say anything about not having a full set come with HoT, if they consider a full set to be a “handful” in comparison to the future set(s) they want to make.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/ The last paragraph of this blog post on the topic. I will include the quote if you don’t care to go to the link: “I know you’re all dying for more information on new legendary weapons, but we’d like to delve into them more with a dedicated blog post in the future. For now, I’ll say that we’ve been working kitten new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns, with more to come in subsequent updates. The methods by which you’ll craft these legendary weapons are similar to the existing system, but we’ve refined it into more of a journey, similar to precursor crafting. We also want to better preserve the prestige associated with crafting a legendary weapon, so the new legendary weapons, and their precursors, will not be tradable. Keep an eye out—we can’t wait to start showing them off when they’re ready!”

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

when they say “handful” they could mean:

a) literally 5, since there are 5 digits on a typical hand (but this becomes a metaphor then doesn’kitten because literally, legendary weapons are simply pixels in a virtual space, and millions of legendaries could easily fit on a flash drive that you can hold in your hand)
b) that they plan on releasing 4 or 5 (or maybe 20) new legendaries per weapon kind (sword, dagger, longbow, etc), and are working on all those designs and collection themes, but will only release 1 new legendary per weapon kind with HoT
c) somewhere in between.

i know a lot of people have doubts and will auromatically assume that a handful literally means we will get only 5 new legendary weapons, period.

honestly, if they only release 5 new legendary weapons, period, greatsword better NOT be one of them, because greatsword already has 3 legendaries, while all the other kinds only have 1.

this thread really reminds me of how everyone thought the tiered collections would go. people thought that tier 1 would be say, greatsword, sword, dagger, longbow, and tier 2 would be say staff, scepter, focus, warhorn, and then tier 3 would be different types, and tier 4 would be the rest.

and they were wrong.

so again, the word “handful” does not confirm any exact number of new legendaries.

PS i really think ANET is smart enough to realize that they’d have a riot on their hands if there WEREN"T one new legendary per kind when HoT launches.

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

why would they have a riot on their hands aslong as there is 1 new legendary each class can use ( like sword covers 4 classes focus 4 and staff 5 Done) there wont be a problem if they can crank out new ones within a month or three.

It will take us awhile to exp ( maybe master point aswell depending on how many we get retroactivly) our way up the legendary hunt mastery aswell I bet.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Given that the new precursors may (probably will) involve customized collections and quest-style mechanics to acquire, I have no problem with a staggered roll out of the new legendaries post-launch.

I would rather they take the time and put effort into making the path to getting each of them as epic and unique as possible. If that means they aren’t all ready by launch, I’m fine with that.

That said, it’s always amazing to see people freak out because of a poorly-worded ambiguous sentence in a blog. “First handful” could very easily mean one of each with even more to come in the future. We just don’t know – ergo the sky-is-falling reactions from the less patient forum posters.

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well, if it’s speculation, I’d say : “First tier new legendary weapons!”
Which would probably mean off hand weapons…

By the way, don’t you think another greatsword (we already have 3 legendary for this one while other weapon are stuck with 1 skin) would be a bit redundant? I’d want all weapon on an equal ground when it come to legendary skins.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Iason Evan.3806

Given that the new precursors may (probably will) involve customized collections and quest-style mechanics to acquire, I have no problem with a staggered roll out of the new legendaries post-launch.

I would rather they take the time and put effort into making the path to getting each of them as epic and unique as possible. If that means they aren’t all ready by launch, I’m fine with that.

That said, it’s always amazing to see people freak out because of a poorly-worded ambiguous sentence in a blog. “First handful” could very easily mean one of each with even more to come in the future. We just don’t know – ergo the sky-is-falling reactions from the less patient forum posters.

I respect your opinion, but we were told new legendaries were coming in 2013. The “scavenger hunt for precursors” announcement is over two years old and was told to us when ArenaNet had people within their organization publicly saying things like we may never do an expansion. Now, not only does it really sound like we aren’t getting a full set after all these years, but people that may not want to buy the x-pac but wanted this new precursor system to be implemented and have waited 2+ years for it may not even have access to it.

I could see your “less patient forum poster” argument holding water for people that started a month after the NPE and new trait system were implemented, but ArenaNet has taken their sweet time with this and Colin made it sound as if we were getting a full compliment of new legendaries and Tirzah reduced that to a handful in the last paragraph of a blog post. If it was a “full set” of legendaries(one new one for each weapon)why wouldn’t they just say full set?

Nah, the time for patience is done. Especially when BL weapons are never just a “handful”. If that ever happens, where BL weapons only get 3-4 skins(outside of holiday sets)I will return to being patient again.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

I’m almost positive that the woman in charge of the Scavenger Hunt left Anet right after that. Not sure why someone else didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t take over after that.

Also, I’m pretty sure that by “handful”, they meant the first set, with other sets coming later.