Legendary light armor looks like heavy armor

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Only the helm and the shoulders of legendary light armor actually looks like light armor. The other 4 slots easily looks like heavy armor. Metal texture, bulky chest, gloves, boots, and the stiff metal butt cape on the pants. I know it’s too late to ask for a change, but Anet, you really should have released some concept art of the designs a long time ago. You should have gotten some feedback from the community on the light and medium sets before going through all the effort. I can’t speak for everyone, but I really don’t like the set on my female sylvari. The shoulders and the helm are okay tho. They look like light armor.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

I agree especially with the butt cap

The entire thing reminds me of desert borderlands

Sure you can’t please everyone with your design and some would complain regardless when they see it. Some people just like to argue so its expected but they should have let us see it regardless because no matter how loudly the angry vocal minority is the silent majority should always dominate. They have the sales data for their own outfits/armor for instance so they should know what design choices and schemes sell and thus what the silent majority prefer.

Nothing screams louder about lack of input than how far the backpacks and weapons float off the light armor. They didn’t want it to clip so they extended the point back but why did they design the legging to stick so far back and be so rigid that they’d clip with everything in the first place. That’s something that should have been picked up on early.

As for female Sylvari and Sylvari in general sometimes certain armor pieces just look dis-proportioned compared to when used on other races. It’s one of the reasons so many people say Sylvari only look good in their racial armor.

Hot Boy.7138

I agree especially with the butt cap

The entire thing reminds me of desert borderlands

Sure you can’t please everyone with your design and some would complain regardless when they see it. Some people just like to argue so its expected but they should have let us see it regardless because no matter how loudly the angry vocal minority is the silent majority should always dominate. They have the sales data for their own outfits/armor for instance so they should know what design choices and schemes sell and thus what the silent majority prefer.

Nothing screams louder about lack of input than how far the backpacks and weapons float off the light armor. They didn’t want it to clip so they extended the point back but why did they design the legging to stick so far back and be so rigid that they’d clip with everything in the first place. That’s something that should have been picked up on early.

As for female Sylvari and Sylvari in general sometimes certain armor pieces just look dis-proportioned compared to when used on other races. It’s one of the reasons so many people say Sylvari only look good in their racial armor.

I really believe the legendary sets should have been cultural armor, specific to each race. They had more than enough time to make one for each race. It’s been over 2 years. And surely there were concept designs before it was announced. I’m disappointed in the aesthetics but i’m very pleased with the functionality. I just wish they’d make light armor actually look like light armor. Cloth fabrics that flow like actual garments, and give off a softer impression than bulky, and clunky metal look. Anet has amazing artists! Probably some of the best in the industry. I understand they have a lot of faith in their designers, but legendary armor deserved some community feedback before being implemented.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I really believe the legendary sets should have been cultural armor, specific to each race. They had more than enough time to make one for each race. It’s been over 2 years.

Yet they clearly said the process of making the legendary armors was more time consuming than they had expected and far more complex.

Now while I’m sure arenanet would deliberately sabotage their own game by providing only 1 legendary armor look per weight, until you actually show this to be the case your belive does not hold a lot of meaning compared to the official statement now does it?

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

yep its already been confirmed, they have admitted it was more more costly than expected, therefore I would expect that they wont go down the legendary armor route beyond these sets, there is far better content that gives great bang for the buck, it would be annoying if they did.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Hot Boy.7138

I really believe the legendary sets should have been cultural armor, specific to each race. They had more than enough time to make one for each race. It’s been over 2 years.

Yet they clearly said the process of making the legendary armors was more time consuming than they had expected and far more complex.

Now while I’m sure arenanet would deliberately sabotage their own game by providing only 1 legendary armor look per weight, until you actually show this to be the case your belive does not hold a lot of meaning compared to the official statement now does it?

You’re not the jury, and this isn’t court. This isn’t a Hot Boy vs Anet lawsuit. There is nothing I have to prove because I have to gain from this. The armors are already in game and they’re not making any more.

Creating the technology for the armor was costly and took time sure. But the design of the armor most likely was just small fraction of the total time. I know you’re probably someone who likes to sympathize with developers when they make bad game design decisions, or maybe you’re someone that just likes to argue any point, but this armor is a disappointment.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you are interested, you can listen to the lead Dev explain the process of creating Legendary Armor (and why it was released after 2 years) in the latest Guild Chat.

Good luck.

Hot Boy.7138

If you are interested, you can listen to the lead Dev explain the process of creating Legendary Armor (and why it was released after 2 years) in the latest Guild Chat.

Good luck.

thanks, i’ve read it all. i’m always up to date with everything that is gw2

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

You’re not the jury, and this isn’t court. This isn’t a Hot Boy vs Anet lawsuit. There is nothing I have to prove because I have to gain from this. The armors are already in game and they’re not making any more.

Creating the technology for the armor was costly and took time sure. But the design of the armor most likely was just small fraction of the total time. I know you’re probably someone who likes to sympathize with developers when they make bad game design decisions, or maybe you’re someone that just likes to argue any point, but this armor is a disappointment.

I am not sympathizing with the developer. I was simply calling you out on your nonsense that arenanet had enough time when they officially stated that they did not.

Why? Because having know it all armchair developers criticising other peoples work without any knowledge or experience in the field can be quite frustrating.

You are correct though, you have no need to prove anything. Then again, on the internet people can claim whatever they want which doesn’t necessarily make it right. Just like your unqualified opinion that arenanet had enough time versus an official statement.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

thanks, i’ve read it all. i’m always up to date with everything that is gw2

Read it? There’s a transcript of the video? Interesting; do you have a link?

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

I also highly recommend watching the latest guild chat before complaining. They did try to keep with heavy, medium, light traditions because they believe all those class types should have a distinct look to them on glance. They explain that they did try to bring down the light armor to make it look more “clothy”. This is actually one of the reasons it took them so long. After they made legendary armor the first time, they believed that medium looked to much like heavy armor and light looked to much like medium armor. So, they basically redid it. And of course, I can’t speak for everyone, but I love the “combat” feel of the legendary light armor. This is also one of the reasons I loved the vigil light armor before the legendary armor. When you wore it, it made you look like you were wearing it for battle and not just to make yourself look “pretty” and “fashionable”. My goodness, your dressing to kill, not to go to the ball.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I am somewhat glad that the legendary armors suck, saves me from ever having to consider making them. Still kinda want the light shoes though….

I also highly recommend watching the latest guild chat before complaining. They did try to keep with heavy, medium, light traditions because they believe all those class types should have a distinct look to them on glance. They explain that they did try to bring down the light armor to make it look more “clothy”. This is actually one of the reasons it took them so long. After they made legendary armor the first time, they believed that medium looked to much like heavy armor and light looked to much like medium armor. So, they basically redid it. And of course, I can’t speak for everyone, but I love the “combat” feel of the legendary light armor. This is also one of the reasons I loved the vigil light armor before the legendary armor. When you wore it, it made you look like you were wearing it for battle and not just to make yourself look “pretty” and “fashionable”. My goodness, your dressing to kill, not to go to the ball.

Really? This is what you call “battlefield appropriate”? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Perfected_Envoy_armor_(light)_human_female_front.jpg

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

I am somewhat glad that the legendary armors suck, saves me from ever having to consider making them. Still kinda want the light shoes though….

Really? This is what you call “battlefield appropriate”? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Perfected_Envoy_armor_(light)_human_female_front.jpg

I’m well aware of what the armor looks like.

To many people, its all about aesthetics and what feeling those aesthetics give you, while reality is a totally different subject. In reality, the combat active heavy legendary armor would absolutely 100% not be battlefield appropriate either because it has many spikes on it. In reality, you want smooth armor where blades would just glance off. This would be true of medium and light armor as well. If this was reality, all armor in this game would look pretty much the same, like the smooth armor produced in the middle ages.

However, when you get to mmos, video games, and movies. The important thing to many people isn’t how well the armor would act in reality, but what feeling that armor gives you because this is after all a fantasy game. Spiky armor in movies and video games gives many viewers the feeling of a dangerous, brutal warrior. Oversized great swords that would in reality be too heavy for combat give players and viewers the feeling of an exceptionally strong warrior with a weapon more dangerous than a punny, tiny sword. Lots of furs, like the shoulders release with the new living world episode, gives players the feeling of a barbarian warrior. Good for combat in reality? Of course not. But many people still love it because of the feeling it gives them. In reality, the legendary light armor would of course be bad for combat, just like almost every other piece of armor in this game. However, I am saying, when compared to other light pieces of armor in the game, it gives me a much sturdier “feeling” of combat armor than most of the other light pieces of armor, like this
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Apprentice_armor_human_female_front.jpg

Now, of course I realize that there are many people who like their characters looking like the image above. However, to me it just doesn’t work because it doesn’t give me the “feeling” of combat armor . . . at all.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

(edited by Xstein.2187)

Hot Boy.7138

i actually like my light armored character to look like they’re going to battle in ball gown lol. The beautiful goddess with an elegant dress with dual swords is extremely appealing to me, and one of the reasons I love light armored class that can melee. That’s actually why I love mesmer so much. I always imagined them to be fashionable and fancy melee fighters. but eh, what I got is legendary light armor that makes me look like a soldier class instead of a scholar class.

Attachments:

Posted by: Mortifera.6138

Mortifera.6138

But.. they’re called “legendary”. ANet’s confidence in their appearance makes them more attractive.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Lack of consumer input

Legendary armor didn’t need multiple precursor sets, transformations, or rune swapping. All of that is choice on the part of Anet they deliver food to our table without even offering a menu/poll

Legendary weapons launched with one precursor and a simple crafting method. There is no reason for legendaryvarmor to be so complicated. If Anet did a poll I’m sure based on the feedback from these sets that people would have wanted 5 non transforming cultural armor sets with either 1 to 0 visible precursor pieces. Personally I don’t get precursors you wouldn’t use a gun or wear clothing that’s only partially complete would you? It’s the finished product that gets used.

Hot Boy.7138

I was looking through some of my old videos and I came across a video I made of the original Flamekissed Light Armor set that was in the gemstore way back. They removed that set from the game, but it, imo, looks like it could have been an awesome legendary armor set. Even if they just added special effects to the tier 3 cultural sets we have now, i think that would have been better than this set that we got.

This set looks like light armor. It’s sexy, and it flows and isn’t stiff. And it has cool effects.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

I was looking through some of my old videos and I came across a video I made of the original Flamekissed Light Armor set that was in the gemstore way back. They removed that set from the game, but it, imo, looks like it could have been an awesome legendary armor set. Even if they just added special effects to the tier 3 cultural sets we have now, i think that would have been better than this set that we got.

This set looks like light armor. It’s sexy, and it flows and isn’t stiff. And it has cool effects.

Lol if they had done that, they would have been called out for laziness of not wanting to create a new armor.