Let me have fun again

Let me have fun again

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Memories Lost.7634

Memories Lost.7634

I have been looking forward to the new legendary items since they were confirmed to be release and fell in love with nevermore the moment I saw it. I hoarded all the materials and gold that I could manage so I could craft this beauty.

Over 1,000 gold later I finally have my precursor and things are looking good, its a huge investment but I know it will be worth it when I get to throw ravens around all day on my ele.

I could be almost done by now, enjoying my shiny new staff and going about my day doing whatever. Instead I have spent nearly 100% of my available play time over the past couple days sitting in snowden drifts waiting for an event. Now if this event just required waiting about for a long timer it would be annoying but doable, but no I need to wait and hope to god no one is around so I can fail this event to get the one I need to spawn.

Hours of waiting and begging random people to stop killing a low level veteran mob. This is what gw2 is for me now. Sure I could go off and do something else, but then I’d be wasting all of my previous efforts to get to this point.

Its rapidly killing all desire to log in and play the game, because regardless of what I want to do I know I’m just going to end up sitting back in snowden drifts. Just let me buy the dang trophy, I don’t care if it costs 100 gold at least then there’s a tangible goal to work towards. Instead of spending hours doing nothing waiting on a chance to progress.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Apparently they’re going to be fixing the formulas so they don’t require events that spawn off failed events. You’re probably better off setting it to the side until they fix it.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Chiccotot.7296

Chiccotot.7296

Can you imagine if they put an item behind a failed Karka Queen? OMG haha the frustration! :p

Let me have fun again

Memories Lost.7634

I’ve read that they are planning on fixing it, that fix could be a month, 3 months or a year down the line. It’s just absurd that this was ever deemed acceptable.

and I hope that’s just a fictional scenario chiccoto, if that’s actually the case for an item I can’t even begin to understand why that would happen.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I have to say, yesterday at Teq some cat was waving that staff around and I thought I was on the set of Hitchkitten’s The Birds.

10x more annoying than Pony Bow.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I have to say, yesterday at Teq some cat was waving that staff around and I thought I was on the set of Hitchkitten’s The Birds.

Suddenly, I want it.

And the bow.

Both on one druid.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’ve read that they are planning on fixing it, that fix could be a month, 3 months or a year down the line. It’s just absurd that this was ever deemed acceptable.

and I hope that’s just a fictional scenario chiccoto, if that’s actually the case for an item I can’t even begin to understand why that would happen.

It wasn’t ever deemed “acceptable” — they aren’t able to play test every scenario and anticipate every thing that might change. It seems as if they looked at the data, which showed certain events failed often (some of the ones involved in the collections used to fail nearly all the time) and assumed (in the worst possible way) that wouldn’t change after all the other new elements of HoT were introduced.

As soon as they realized it was a problem, they decided to change it. Unfortunately, there’s no quick way to do that. It took ages for them to finalize the challenges; it’s going to take a little bit to change them.

tl;dr easier to have fun again if you’re willing to wait for the fixes (some of which should be soon™).

(I forgot to say, even so, I am surprised they didn’t learn from all the other problems caused by tying anything to failed events or tying anything to retaking events, which depend on a failed chain.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Let me have fun again

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It wasn’t ever deemed “acceptable” — they aren’t able to play test every scenario and anticipate every thing that might change. It seems as if they looked at the data, which showed certain events failed often (some of the ones involved in the collections used to fail nearly all the time) and assumed (in the worst possible way) that wouldn’t change after all the other new elements of HoT were introduced.

There’s been trouble in the game for a long time that has been caused by conflicts between players over events failing or succeeding (multiple farms that depended on keeping events from succeeding and all of the drama over trait unlocks at temples to name two types). This is not an “understandable occurrence based on unforeseen changes in player behavior,” this is ANet failing to learn from past issues. It’s not excusable, it’s lack of forethought and being able to predict future trends based on past occurrences.

We’ve also got (or Anet hopes we do) new free players trying the game and leveling characters. Failure to predict an upsurge in event completion in a 15-25 zone based on an increase in new players should also not be an, “Oops, we sure didn’t see that coming.”

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Suddenly, I want it.

Suddenly I want to see a movie by Alfred Hitchkitten. Maybe “The Manx Who Knew Too Much” or “North by North Rex”.

On topic: Now I don’t feel so bad about farming lumber and ore slowly rather than buying it off the trading post. The design goes against a design philosophy they have had since launch so it is obviously an oversight (like introducing the requirement for heavy supply bags in the same patch where it became impossible to obtain them was).

Let me have fun again

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Level 15-25 zones are fuller because folks are farming softwood. And if an event pops when you are farming you tend to dive in and do it, just because it’s there.

But requiring a “public” event to fail to advance a personal quest is crazy. @OP, park it for now and it will get changed eventually.
Alternatively, someone said they managed to, ahem, succeed at failing at about 3.30am UTC/GMT!

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Heimlich.3065

Heimlich.3065

You may want to switch to grinding out max HoT masteries (all of them) and full stacks of Airship Oil, Auric Dust, and Ley Line Sparks while you wait for a patch that resets the event chain or for a chance to do the event that you require.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Excludee.3850

Excludee.3850

inb4 someone pulls the “Legendaries are supposed to be hard” card.

Anyways, it’ll be fixed eventually… Maybe next patch if you’re lucky, but don’t hold your breath. Honestly, I’m not really sure how this got in after they said some time ago, as far as I remember, that this wouldn’t be a thing anymore. But uh, well… here we are, I guess.

Let me have fun again

Memories Lost.7634

After hours of waiting around I managed to get the pre event to not only fail once, but twice and both times I did not receive the required trophy. So it’s not only gated, but broken as well.

I have been working on other aspects of the collection while I wait for this to be fixed, the problem is that I’m running out of other avenues to pursue before this becomes a hard gate for me.

If anyone who has actually completed nevermore could tell me how they managed to get this trophy please shed some insight.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Heimlich.3065

Heimlich.3065

Which specific trophy do you need?

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

After hours of waiting around I managed to get the pre event to not only fail once, but twice and both times I did not receive the required trophy. So it’s not only gated, but broken as well.

I have been working on other aspects of the collection while I wait for this to be fixed, the problem is that I’m running out of other avenues to pursue before this becomes a hard gate for me.

If anyone who has actually completed nevermore could tell me how they managed to get this trophy please shed some insight.

After the necessary fails, in the event that follows, make sure you kill the Veteran Shaman before you actually destroy the totem. You have to do that in the right order in order to get your trophy.

Let me have fun again

Memories Lost.7634

Which specific trophy do you need?

Gift of the owl spirit or something similar.

I want to say that I killed the veteran first but there was probably 11 people there all trying for the trophy so I can’t be sure that the totem didn’t die first.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I am severally disappointed nobody has started singing the fun song!

F is for friends who do stuff together

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

Apparently they’re going to be fixing the formulas so they don’t require events that spawn off failed events. You’re probably better off setting it to the side until they fix it.

Where did they post something as explicit as that?

I’ve not seen anything like that orund here, all I’ve see are vague comments about ‘looking at’ one in particular, basically.

Let me have fun again

Vayne.8563

I’ve not seen anything like that orund here, all I’ve see are vague comments about ‘looking at’ one in particular, basically.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-Legendary-Collections-More

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-Legendary-Collections-More

“Fix issues that encourage toxic play or interactions. No collectible should be gated behind failed events, or mechanics that make you upset that another player is playing a specific way. Unfortunately these things take longer to fix and test around the fixes (don’t want to break something else on accident), so the turn around will be slower…”

aka never

Let me have fun again

Vayne.8563

“Fix issues that encourage toxic play or interactions. No collectible should be gated behind failed events, or mechanics that make you upset that another player is playing a specific way. Unfortunately these things take longer to fix and test around the fixes (don’t want to break something else on accident), so the turn around will be slower…”

aka never

Of course fixing a program this complex takes time. People say Anet doesn’t communicate and when they do, people heckle the communication. I don’t know why Anet should talk at all with reactions like this.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

aka never

Of course fixing a program this complex takes time. People say Anet doesn’t communicate and when they do, people heckle the communication. I don’t know why Anet should talk at all with reactions like this.

As develpoing 3 legendaries took 2 years, not to mention forum search or bar brawl.

Not sure why I care tho.

Let me have fun again

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

I feel for you. I just inadvertently succeeded that one, not knowing people actually NEEDED it to fail. It’s the stupidest piece of game design I’ve seen in my life. And to do something in this zone while it’s one of those that frequently has the ‘event completer daily’ assigned to it… that’s just malice.

Let me have fun again

Vayne.8563

aka never

As develpoing 3 legendaries took 2 years, not to mention forum search or bar brawl.

Not sure why I care tho.

Forum search has nothing to do with Anet, it’s not their software. The bar brawl didn’t take 3 years, it was abandoned for different content. Developing 3 legendaries didn’t take 2 years either. It’s just that when they started developing stuff, they had different plans. Stuff was supposed to be introduced for the Living Story and they decided to do an expansion instead…based on player pressure, possibly.

That means things that might have come out earlier had to wait for the expansion or they’d have had nothing for the expansion.

In the mean time, during those three years, they did come out with a lot of stuff and made a lot of changes to the core game, they released the game in China, they created the expansion, but they also had two seasons of Living Story, the wardrobe, Edge of the Mists and other updates as well.

Legendaries probably wasn’t a priority for them, until they had a system to deliver them.