Lets Chat: Revenant Masters of the Mist

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

@Roy

1. How many weapons are you aiming for the Revenant to have? I know you might still not have an exact number on that, but what is the plan? Something like engineer and elementalist, with only very few weapons to choose from? Or are you hoping for more than that?
  2. How are utility skills picked?
  3. How does racial skills interact with the revenant?

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

As far as resistance I read it as you’ll be immune to any condis during the duration, and if there was any remaining, they would continue as normal. Which would mean that they could still be applied during the time resistance was up, but have no effect until resistance ran out. But I could be wrong.

You are correct.

WOOT!!!!

What did I win!?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Roy Cronacher

Previous

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

Next

Mhh i guess switching legends will trigger weapon swap sigils if revenants dont have weapon swaps.

On swap sigils will trigger when you invoke your inactive legend.

Now that you’re here, let me ask you:

When you choose a Legend, said Legend unlocks you a single set of utility skills, 1 healing skill and 1 elite, correct? Are all these skills fixed on your bar (like Elementalist’s weapon skills are depending on which attunement you are)? Or do Legends just add new skills but these can be changed regardless of what legend you are using currently (within the two selected obviously)?

That wasn’t very clear to me when reading the blogpost.

The skills on the right half of your bar are tied to the legend which you are currently invoking.

Twitter: @RoyCronacher
I work on systems, combat, skills, and balance.

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Mhh i guess switching legends will trigger weapon swap sigils if revenants dont have weapon swaps.

When you choose a Legend, said Legend unlocks you a single set of utility skills, 1 healing skill and 1 elite, correct? Are all these skills fixed on your bar (like Elementalist’s weapon skills are depending on which attunement you are)? Or do Legends just add new skills but these can be changed regardless of what legend you are using currently (within the two selected obviously)?

The skills on the right half of your bar are tied to the legend which you are currently invoking.

Mhh from the Blog it looks like you can exchange them with other skills, so how exactly are they tied to the legend? Like glyphs from eles or are they completly tied to the legends (meaning each legend has 1 healing skill, 3 utility skills and 1 elite)?

Posted by: Coedeax.2567

Coedeax.2567

But are those 5 skills the only ones you have while invoking a specific legendary? Or are there other skills you can choose from?

It’s not FAIR!

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I disagree. As a dagger wielding necro, I’ve often wished that my fear would make them run towards me rather than away. I want to draw in those ranged kittens. You might then say it is like a pull, but no, it locks their skills for a duration. I can see this condition being rather strong in certain instances.

I can imagine taunting a ranger who was weilding a bow, while having the wall up; they’d kill themselves! —I assume it locks weapon swap too.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

What he asked is if you can have 1 2 3 utility skills and 5 elite on legend 1
4 3 5 and elite 2 on legend 2

or if both use the same ones, atleast thats how i read it.

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Each Legend has only one healing skill, one elite skill and three utility skills then? Don’t they have, maybe, more than three utility skills to choose from?

What he asked is if you can have 1 2 3 utility skills and 5 elite on legend 1
4 3 5 and elite 2 on legend 2

or if both use the same ones, atleast thats how i read it.

Yes, it wanted to know if you can rearange them regardless of which of the two Legends you are in, that’s not the case it seems, though. It’s less flexible than I expected, but said skills must really have a strong tie to the legend (think about the stat bonuses the legend gives and the traits…). So that could be a good thing.

(edited by Khenzy.9348)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I disagree. As a dagger wielding necro, I’ve often wished that my fear would make them run towards me rather than away. I want to draw in those ranged kittens. You might then say it is like a pull, but no, it locks their skills for a duration. I can see this condition being rather strong in certain instances.

I can imagine taunting a ranger who was weilding a bow, while having the wall up; they’d kill themselves! —I assume it locks weapon swap too.

Dont see why it would kill said ranger since it blocks the projectiles never said it reflected them.

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

But are those 5 skills the only ones you have while invoking a specific legendary? Or are there other skills you can choose from?

Hopefully so, diversity is good but too much like the current one caused imbalance in the classes and between others. Hoping for more frequent balance patches after release since they are busy right now. I believe you can swap between two legends in combat so there is that.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Oliin.9581

Oliin.9581

Taunt: Having your avatar act against your will is never fun.

Largely true. I can only think of one time losing control of my character was fun. Back in pre-Luciln EQ my monk got charmed by a gnoll (I thnk) and I was hit by a lag spike at the same time. When everything caught up I’d apparently killed half the group and everyone else had fled. That was legitimately kind of a fun moment; though if anyone had actually been upset it wouldn’t have been.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Lets see if I can phrase this unambiguously:

When I am invoking Bob the Mighty, will I have a Bob-themed pool of skills to choose from when filling out my right-hand tray, or does channeling Bob the Mighty give me an absolutely specific set of 5 skills without variation from any other Revenant invoking Bob?

I realize the answer may be different for buttons 6 and 0 than it is for buttons 7, 8, & 9.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Coedeax.2567

Coedeax.2567

When I am invoking Bob the Mighty, will I have a Bob-themed pool of skills to choose from when filling out my right-hand tray, or does channeling Bob the Mighty give me an absolutely specific set of 5 skills without variation from any other Revenant invoking Bob?

I realize the answer may be different for buttons 6 and 0 than it is for buttons 7, 8, & 9.

He he he. I like it.

But, yes, you asked the question very nicely.

It’s not FAIR!

Posted by: Thiagugu.9682

Thiagugu.9682

What happens to racial skills though? Can they replace one of the legendary skills?

“Don’t be discouraged, darling. You can’t help being inferior.”

Previous

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

Next

That is not set in stone yet and something we are deciding still.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

So…. conditions get even weaker? Wth? Why?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

As noted earlier in the thread if there isn’t a choice it appears the revenant will feature less customisation than other classes and may be quite inflexible.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Previous

Roy Cronacher

Game Designer

As noted earlier in the thread if there isn’t a choice it appears the revenant will feature less customisation than other classes and may be quite inflexible.

There options really are the legends you bring which offer unique playstyles and skills, I can see your point though.

Posted by: Ferever.7014

Ferever.7014

There options really are the legends you bring which offer unique playstyles and skills, I can see your point though.

So its like a trade-off system if you wanna be a tanky be prepared to sacrifice your damage output versus if you go condition be prepared to lose your tankiness?

Posted by: Crey.5263

Crey.5263

I think I am one of the few people in the game who actually like my racial skills and they are something that I take into consideration when choosing a profession. Does revenant not have access to their racial skills?

Posted by: Thiagugu.9682

Thiagugu.9682

So its like a trade-off system if you wanna be a tanky be prepared to sacrifice your damage output versus if you go condition be prepared to lose your tankiness?

There will be quite a few legends to chose from. Maybe as many as there are ranger pets.

“Don’t be discouraged, darling. You can’t help being inferior.”

Sagat.3285

Their oversized customization ended with useless/ignored aspects of it. So many traits,skills,sigils …wasted..many don’t even know they exist those who do just reject it as the content does. I hoped they locked previous customization with specializations but it seems otherwise which mean the bads from before will carry to the future. Runes,sigils already started affecting specs deeply look at air/fire and my newly found friend Trap Runes.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Nike.2631

I don’t know if unique is the word I’d use for the first class that can’t access a character’s racial skills .

It would also be odd if we had a re-run of the Tower of Nightmares and Revenants were barred from using the related healing skill offered for that episode.

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

There will be quite a few legends to chose from. Maybe as many as there are ranger pets.

Source ?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see a large choice of legends available to channel, but I’m not gonna jump on the hype train too quickly. Especially since some details are not set in stones.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

Since your still building the profession.

You could have some utilites skills act like Elementalist glyphs and have them change what they do based on what legend your channeling. You just have to make one base skill for each of the current legend utilities and add in a couple more.

Either way some way to customize your swappable abilities would be cool.

Retired Leader of TTS

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

For the records, I would rather have a fixed skill set per legend (so Bob the Revenant can only pick a single specific healing skill when he’s using the Legendary Kitten Stance) but having a lot of legends, than having only 3 or 4 legends but being able to choose between a few skills for each slot.

Why?

• Because having different legends can be more diverse than having more skills within a given legend. Skills within a legend have to follow a theme, so they are going to be somewhat similar; but two legends don’t need any tie to each other. So having one legend with two skill options per slot would be 10 skills, but that would be less diverse than having two legends with one skill option per slot, even though this would also be 10 skills.
  • Because that allows ArenaNet to think outside the box more. If a given utility skill has to be balanced to work a lot of other utility skills, there is a limit to how much it can do. If a given utility skill has to be balanced specifically to work with two other utility skills, it can be balanced so it’s different from everything we have in the game, while the combination as a whole is still not overpowered/underpowered.
  • Because it allows ArenaNet to make more sinergistic skills. How about a elite skill that is actually complemented by the utility skills, instead of one that locks you out of your utility skills? How about a healing skill that appears to be weak, but in conjunction with the specific utility and elite skills it comes with becomes awesome?
  • Because we are not going to have that much variety anyway. To have every legend – say we have 4 – with 2 skill options per legend would still give us only a couple options per slot per legend, so the playstyle wouldn’t change much, but it would require ArenaNet to make A LOT of skills (from 20 to 40!), and balance all available combinations. This is too much work and too much maintenance for something that wouldn’t make that big of a difference.
  • Because that way is more future proof. If every legend introduced at the Revenant release has 2 possible skills per slot, this means every legend introduced at the future will need to have at least 2 possible skills per slot, or the community would go in flames against ArenaNet. If every legend has only a single combination, it would allow ArenaNet to add more legends more easily, thus adding more diversity.
  • And let’s face it, legends have been made to be cool. Having more legends, instead of more skills per legend, would allow ArenaNet to search for more cool things to use within the Guild Wars universe.

IMO, this would be better for the profession design, and the number of options could be increased by having more legends, as opposed to more skills within a legend.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

But you can only equip 2.

For the records, I would rather have a fixed skill set per legend (so Bob the Revenant can only pick a single specific healing skill when he’s using the Legendary Kitten Stance) but having a lot of legends, than having only 3 or 4 legends but being able to choose between a few skills for each slot.

For that to work I would think you would need to be able to equip more than 2 legends.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Makani Eldrinn.5638

Makani Eldrinn.5638

So, the way this reads to me right now is I have a class, which doesn’t have a weapon swap, so what I pick on the first 5 skills(weapon) is what I get, nothing more. But we have a swap on the utility skills, which gives us access to “sets” of utilities. So to compare to an elementalist utilities it would be like using all cantrips or all glyphs on my utility bar, except I’m not(potentially) allowed to mix and match the utilites like with any other class. If this is correct, it doesn’t seem very appealing. My first thought is with my ele I may decide to sacrifice getting a trait bonus for having multiple cantrips to bring an additional stun breaker by taking an arcane skill, but I can’t do that with a revenant. It seems more “stiff” if that makes sense. I’ll see how it works in practice, but comparing it to what I know now in the game doesn’t give me a good feeling if this is the way it ends up working.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

snip

While you’re here, can i ask just one tiny question?

The hammer skill “Field of the Mists” sounds like a far stronger version of the Guardian’s Zealot’s Defense. Zealot’s Defense is a rather fast skill that roots you in place and destroys (not reflects) any projectiles that hit you from the considerably small area formed directly in front of you. As a result, it’s almost never used for its defensive purposes, rather being used as a slight DPS gain at melee range (the blades that fly off hardly ever hit anything further than melee reach). Meanwhile Field of the Mists has a far larger field and lets you walk around with it, even change directions (presumably) to face the enemy flanking you, on top of being a reflect and (seemingly) not stopping you from using other skills while it’s active.

Anyway, my question is, how do you balance the two skills so that one isn’t clearly better than the other? As it is, at least from where i’m standing, even if it had twice the cooldown, didn’t do any damage, and sucked from your energy pool, Field of the Mists is the clearly superior skill.

I guess my point is “maybe look into Zealot’s Defense and make it better at actually being a defensive skill”.

PS: i lied about it being a tiny question >.>

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Sagat.3285

Why?

• Because having different legends can be more diverse than having more skills within a given legend. Skills within a legend have to follow a theme, so they are going to be somewhat similar; but two legends don’t need any tie to each other. So having one legend with two skill options per slot would be 10 skills, but that would be less diverse than having two legends with one skill option per slot, even though this would also be 10 skills.
  • Because that allows ArenaNet to think outside the box more. If a given utility skill has to be balanced to work a lot of other utility skills, there is a limit to how much it can do. If a given utility skill has to be balanced specifically to work with two other utility skills, it can be balanced so it’s different from everything we have in the game, while the combination as a whole is still not overpowered/underpowered.
  • Because it allows ArenaNet to make more sinergistic skills. How about a elite skill that is actually complemented by the utility skills, instead of one that locks you out of your utility skills? How about a healing skill that appears to be weak, but in conjunction with the specific utility and elite skills it comes with becomes awesome?
  • Because we are not going to have that much variety anyway. To have every legend – say we have 4 – with 2 skill options per legend would still give us only a couple options per slot per legend, so the playstyle wouldn’t change much, but it would require ArenaNet to make A LOT of skills (from 20 to 40!), and balance all available combinations. This is too much work and too much maintenance for something that wouldn’t make that big of a difference.
  • Because that way is more future proof. If every legend introduced at the Revenant release has 2 possible skills per slot, this means every legend introduced at the future will need to have at least 2 possible skills per slot, or the community would go in flames against ArenaNet. If every legend has only a single combination, it would allow ArenaNet to add more legends more easily, thus adding more diversity.
  • And let’s face it, legends have been made to be cool. Having more legends, instead of more skills per legend, would allow ArenaNet to search for more cool things to use within the Guild Wars universe.

IMO, this would be better for the profession design, and the number of options could be increased by having more legends, as opposed to more skills within a legend.

Can’t this support this enough has long as each legend as a purpose that is not countered by content. Ranger pets were and are a downer.

The Dhuumfire thread

Nike.2631

Thinking on this for a few minutes longer, IF the right-hand tray is a locked set of 5 skills the meta for this class is going to evolve to its terminal state very fast. There’s no theory crafting to be done when your right tray exists as a block decision. It doesn’t matter how many legends are available… 2-3 will be anointed by the groupthink as the must-play options and that’ll be that. I’m sure you can envision the LFG notes “ZRK. Revs n MBS ONLY” (MBS = Mighty Bob Stance) or some other ridiculous shorthand .

Test.8734

For that to work I would think you would need to be able to equip more than 2 legends.

Like most professions, you will likely be stuck with more or less15 skills available at any given time in the skill bar. The difference being that, instead of 10 on the left and 5 on the right, it’s 5 on the left and 10 on the right.

It doesn’t matter how many legends are available… 2-3 will be anointed by the groupthink as the must-play options and that’ll be that. I’m sure you can envision the LFG notes “ZRK. Revs n MBS ONLY” (MBS = Mighty Bob Stance) or some other ridiculous shorthand .

As likely as we are today to see people saying, “Warriors, zerk only, greatsword/axe&mace only”. Weapon skills also come in a locked set of 5 skills.

(edited by Test.8734)

BrunoBRS.5178

Thinking on this for a few minutes longer, IF the right-hand tray is a locked set of 5 skills the meta for this class is going to evolve to its terminal state very fast. There’s no theory crafting to be done when your right tray exists as a block decision. It doesn’t matter how many legends are available… 2-3 will be anointed by the groupthink as the must-play options and that’ll be that. I’m sure you can envision the LFG notes “ZRK. Revs n MBS ONLY” (MBS = Mighty Bob Stance) or some other ridiculous shorthand .

yeah, i can see it being a massive limiting issue for the profession if you pick a single weapon set, one or two legends (metagame doesn’t usually spark a ton of options), and that’s it. there won’t be an element of choice for the player to put a twist on their revenant build, forcing the profession in a rapidly devolving process of stagnation.

EDIT: looking at elementalists, they have been stuck on “cantrip meta” since the dawn of time, as every half decent build, regardless of trait spread, will have at least two of them. but there are alternatives: glyph of storms is situationally used in PvE, as is ice bow. the elite of choice is usually up to the player. you can add your own “twist” to the standard 0/2/0/6/6 build simply by playing around with utilities, something that revenants seemingly won’t have.

(edited by BrunoBRS.5178)

Posted by: Breckmoney.6387

Breckmoney.6387

I like the idea of legend skills being locked, personally. Legends should in theory be iconic for some reason or another; it’d be weird to have some of Jalis mixed with some of Mallyx or whoever else is introduced. Asking ANet to make too many utilities per legend is probably just not reasonable from a design standpoint.

And I don’t even know if they’ll be less flexible in the end – in the two example legends today you can go from tanky and supportive to what I assume is a higher DPS condition class with just a legend swap. That’s more than many classes can say. What they might be is hard to gear around and maybe people will just run celestial to be decent at everything.

Anno [GAF] – SBI

Sagat.3285

So, the way this reads to me right now is I have a class, which doesn’t have a weapon swap, so what I pick on the first 5 skills(weapon) is what I get, nothing more. But we have a swap on the utility skills, which gives us access to “sets” of utilities. So to compare to an elementalist utilities it would be like using all cantrips or all glyphs on my utility bar, except I’m not(potentially) allowed to mix and match the utilites like with any other class. If this is correct, it doesn’t seem very appealing. My first thought is with my ele I may decide to sacrifice getting a trait bonus for having multiple cantrips to bring an additional stun breaker by taking an arcane skill, but I can’t do that with a revenant. It seems more “stiff” if that makes sense. I’ll see how it works in practice, but comparing it to what I know now in the game doesn’t give me a good feeling if this is the way it ends up working.

Traits are still unknown(put in there),sigils,runes and stats still exist, too much customization is bad look at current balance,another example ArcheAge 120 classes,past mmos have went from +30 active skills to as low as 8(LA) and created customization in combat elsewhere Tripod system,Rune system,GW2 traits,weapon swap.

The Dhuumfire thread

Nike.2631

I also want to point out that to the Norn, the Revenants (with locked Right-tray design) would be anathema: a Norn forever barred from assuming their totem-form is a spiritual cripple.

Posted by: raubvogel.5071

raubvogel.5071

Whats with melee vs ranged. Some content should been done ranged other in melee without a weapon switch it is impossible to do certain content. e. g. Champion Risen Drake Broodmother

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

True we don’t know how it works yet. But from what I see of it so far, this is how thief’s initiative should have worked in the first place. Using your thief skills to both gain and spend initiative, requiring active play

I think we know it doesn’t work like that. The polygon article goes into more detail.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/2/18/8061219/guild-wars-2-profession-reveal-revenant-pc-mmo-arenanet

BrunoBRS.5178

I like the idea of legend skills being locked, personally. Legends should in theory be iconic for some reason or another; it’d be weird to have some of Jalis mixed with some of Mallyx or whoever else is introduced. Asking ANet to make too many utilities per legend is probably just not reasonable from a design standpoint.

And I don’t even know if they’ll be less flexible in the end – in the two example legends today you can go from tanky and supportive to what I assume is a higher DPS condition class with just a legend swap. That’s more than many classes can say. What they might be is hard to gear around and maybe people will just run celestial to be decent at everything.

The problem is that theorycrafting and buildmaking is severely stripped down if all you can really choose are the legends. I honestly don’t know how they would adapt the current system to allow for more in-build flexibility (i.e. adding your personal touch or variation to a typical build), but I hope they can find a solution, or else revenant will get really stagnant really fast.

Caeledh.5437

Whats with melee vs ranged. Some content should been done ranged other in melee without a weapon switch it is impossible to do certain content. e. g. Champion Risen Drake Broodmother

We don’t know that each weapon will be exclusively melee or ranged like they are for other professions.

Nike.2631

Now I’m almost salivating at the prospect of running into a Revenant in PvP – one glance at his weapon (which they can’t swap) and at his buff bar to read which legend he’s invoking and I’ll know almost EVERYTHING about my opponent.

Those traits had better be really creative or these guys are gonna be somebody’s lunch served neatly on the good plates.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Instead of being “locked” I think there should be choices for utilities that are tied to the Revenant’s chosen Legend. Let’s say you get one Elite per Legend, but you get a choice of 6 utilities per Legend. Then at least there is some player agency and chance for build diversity. I really hope the weapons don’t compliment each other too much in the way of —if I am running mace, axe is always the off-hand to have-- for example.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Breckmoney.6387

Breckmoney.6387

The problem is that theorycrafting and buildmaking is severely stripped down if all you can really choose are the legends. I honestly don’t know how they would adapt the current system to allow for more in-build flexibility (i.e. adding your personal touch or variation to a typical build), but I hope they can find a solution, or else revenant will get really stagnant really fast.

They still have traits and the Revenant’s specialization to play with some of that. Worst case I think they end up being perhaps less flexible overall but maybe much more flexible in any given encounter since they can change so much of how the class works on the fly. Not sure which is better but both have high points.

Anno [GAF] – SBI

Test.8734

Now I’m almost salivating at the prospect of running into a Revenant in PvP – one glance at his weapon (which they can’t swap) and at his buff bar to read which legend he’s invoking and I’ll know almost EVERYTHING about my opponent.

And then when he’s close he switches legend and pwnz you.

Caeledh.5437

Instead of being “locked” I think there should be choices for utilities that are tied to the Revenant’s chosen Legend.

I think that’s how it works. I had interpreted it the same you way did but someone pointed out that the utility skills in the screenshot all have switch-utility-skill arrows above them.

BrunoBRS.5178

he’d still know everything about his opponent though. if you know the weapons and your enemy has a huge “THIS IS MY PLAYSTYLE” banner on their head, they become predictable.

Nike.2631

A trick he gets surprise people with once and even that only gives him a fixed set to tools. Some of which I’ll know he can’t use yet because of the way the energy mechanic resets to 50%.

Sagat.3285

Those traits had better be really creative or these guys are gonna be somebody’s lunch served neatly on the good plates.

More in WvW, you can’t swap utilities/spec in PvP anymore but yeah hoping for good traits, I stated before how much this can do for the game don’t repeat same mistakes. Same thing with the traits and utilities same thing surprise us!!! No kick(war) ,no signets please.

Now I wonder how is the class in solo vs group encounters I don’t know why but it looks like it’s max potential is with team not a bad thing tough.

The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

so… rev is gonna be the heavy ele\engi basically. Love it 10\10 will play and enjoy

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

You already know the playstyle of an opponent by looking at his weapons and buff bar. It’s not like you’ll cross a ranger running a condition trait setup with a greatsword.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone