Leveling masteries with Tomes of Knowledge?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

Q:

Will it be possible to level up masteries (not unlocking them) using Tomes of Knowledge?
If so, will it fully level up one tier?

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

A:

No, they will not. No item that gives or helps you gain exp will be useable to train Masteries.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=35818&storypage=2
“The masteries seen in the demo are just the tip of what masteries will be available at launch, and the team will have more surprises for players. We wanted to know if all those consumables, like Tomes of Knowledge and Writs of Experience, would help players unlock all of these masteries faster. The short answer is that they won’t. The experience bar is going away and is being replaced by the mastery training bar. This training bar is in no way tied to experience, but fills up by going out and doing stuff in the world. So any item that gives you experience won’t help you train masteries.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

no, Tombs of Knowledge no longer give level 80 characters a level, they only give a spirit shard, so they can’t be used to level masteries.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

I can’t say I’m unhappy to hear that even though I have close to two stacks of tomes.
But I didn’t expect experience boosters to not affect mastery leveling either.

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

i think they will likely introduce a new “Booster” that will give exp for mastery training… imagine that cash cow in the gem shop…

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

in a recent lifestream from Gamescon that had Colin on it with Rubi, he mentioned that XP producing activities such as harvesting would once again be worth doing, and that people would want to have their food & utility boosts up to maximize. I believe that was in the context of talking about training masteries. Unfortunately I cannot find a link to a recording of that video to review or post here.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: Kaiden Valor.7163

Kaiden Valor.7163

Yea food and boosters work fine to speed it up, but anything that would directly add exp won’t work (like tombs of knowledge or writs of experience).

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Well then, why do I have all these stacks of tomes? So I can make an 18th alt? what a waste of an item anet. Very disappointing.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Well then, why do I have all these stacks of tomes? So I can make an 18th alt? what a waste of an item anet. Very disappointing.

You have those stacks of Tomes so you have a ready supply of Spirit Shards, if you need them, unless you want to level another Alt…remember, that alone, is your decision.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

key farms works aswell edit burns 8 tomes each char

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I tried using a tome of knowledge in the BETA, hoping it would gimmie mastery point. Just gave me spirit shard. I guess it’s only fair to get masteries the hard, grindy way.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

in a recent lifestream from Gamescon that had Colin on it with Rubi, he mentioned that XP producing activities such as harvesting would once again be worth doing, and that people would want to have their food & utility boosts up to maximize. I believe that was in the context of talking about training masteries. Unfortunately I cannot find a link to a recording of that video to review or post here.

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/10054145

at the 40:30 mark they begin to talk about masteries and exp and at 41:37ish he states it

(edited by Linken.6345)