Ley Line gliding underwhelming

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I really enjoy gliding and ground ridiculously for the T6 mastery.

It cost me 12 points to get. (though I got one back in the Pulse Room ) For what? an occasional quasi useful updraft?

Lame.

I was hoping that it would get me into Dragon’s Domain without having to depend on a mob.

Whatever the case, so far it’s been quite a bit less useful than updraft. I expected a lot more from a t6 skill.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

all the masteries are like that. the lower level ones are typically the most useful. the higher level ones are just required for full completion.

personally, i like the system, and really enjoy leyline gliding.

Ithilwen.1529

OH? where’d you find useful ley lines? I did find one highway near Ley Line Confluence. Nice speed run but too short.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It looks like the mastery will really help mobility in the Mouth of Mordremoth fight. The islands have ley lines connecting them so you can (I believe, I don’t have the mastery yet) zip straight between them instead of having to circle around to updrafts.

Narrrz.7532

you’re quite right. that’s the main feature, though there are various places scattered around where a leyline will get you to somewhere faster than the normal route or make an otherwise unreachable place accessible.

like i say, the top level masteries are not must-haves. that would be horrible design. They’re more just little QoL thingies.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It looks like the mastery will really help mobility in the Mouth of Mordremoth fight. The islands have ley lines connecting them so you can (I believe, I don’t have the mastery yet) zip straight between them instead of having to circle around to updrafts.

You can. It looks like it’s both faster and more reliable than using the updrafts though obviously not completely necessary.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

There’s twio hero challenge locked behind ley line gliding. One in Dragon’s stand ( spider queen area ) and one in Auric Bassin.

So there’s that I guess too.

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Narrrz.7532

The one in auric basin, at least, only needs lean techniques (if you know what you’re doing)

Ithilwen.1529

Agreed I got the one in Auric Basin with lean technique. So how about it ANET? Here’s a chance to make it possible to get into Dragon’s Domain without hopping maps and hoping for a zerg.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

There’s twio hero challenge locked behind ley line gliding. One in Dragon’s stand ( spider queen area ) and one in Auric Bassin.

Fun fact you can get both of them without ley gliding (and i dont mean mesmer portals).

Posted by: Bee.7081

Bee.7081

I don’t have Ley-line gliding as of yet, and I’ve encountered a jumping puzzle in Auric Basin that it seems, requires it.

I couldn’t get to a mushroom with simple lean gliding, from where I could make my way up on the wall.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Yeah, it seems to be required for the Auric Basic jumping puzzle, and makes reaching several locations far more casual, although they can be reached through other means. For example, one area (where the “race” story mission happens), you need either Ley Lines OR Nuhock Wallows. It is kind of sad that it isn’t used more elsewhere, but also nice that you don’t really NEED it.

One place I’d love to see them add Leylines though is the Verdant Brink “depths”, at the very bottom of the pits, where you mostly just die, have highways of Leyline flows, that can zip you along from one end of the map to the other in half the time it would take to glide the entire way.

I think that their goal with the various traversal methods you pick up is that once you have them all, there should be no point to WPing anywhere unless you’re dead, there should always be a Wallow or Leyline or “bounce up and glide” to get you where you’re going at very high speeds. The methods can help, it’s certainly much faster than walking, but not nearly fast enough.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Ithilwen.1529

I mostly agree. I can glide to most places in VB from many start points. Starting in the canopy from the jumping puzzle or the wreckage above Mellagan’s will get me pretty much anywhere on the map, except the patriarch’s perch.

The other maps would be a lot more pleasant with something similar like Ley Conduits.

More important to me; I’d like to have a way to get into Dragon’s Domain without having to watch the clock and then try to find a map that’s zerged heavily enough to at least get the gates open.

I got the three blighting tower mastery points that way. The zerg failed and gave up. I simply ran in without aggroing and grabbed the points. (with people whispering that I was screwing up somehow) Still, the vendors for plated gear are unavailable the vast majority of the time.

Also I suspect the mob doesn’t appreciate me abandoning the mission to go grab some poi or what-have-you.

ANET, this is a T6 skill. It needs to have some more value for labor. As it stands, I think I wasted a lot of time and mastery points on it. Give us a backdoor to Dragon’s domain and some better travel around the other maps.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

nothing in Aurics basin is locked behind lay line gliding.

Nor any other gimmick, I have 100% map completion there, and I dont have ley line gliding and I have not abused any of the “tricks” to get into certain areas.

You can legitimately get all points in AB without it, it may just require some convoluted gliding, and you will need lean techniques.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

I don’t have Ley-line gliding as of yet, and I’ve encountered a jumping puzzle in Auric Basin that it seems, requires it.

I couldn’t get to a mushroom with simple lean gliding, from where I could make my way up on the wall.

If you mean the jumping puzzle in the inner chamber in Tarir (Achievement: “Egg bearer”), you do not need ley-line gliding for that. I have done it and I do not have Ley-line gliding.

Attachments:

Posted by: Surek.3056

Surek.3056

If you mean the jumping puzzle in the inner chamber in Tarir (Achievement: “Egg bearer”), you do not need ley-line gliding for that. I have done it and I do not have Ley-line gliding.

There is another JP in the jungle which requires ley line gliding.

Ithilwen.1529

I haven’t encountered that one. Still, 4 million plus exp and 12 mastery points to access a jumping puzzle?

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Nor any other gimmick, I have 100% map completion there, and I dont have ley line gliding and I have not abused any of the “tricks” to get into certain areas.

You can legitimately get all points in AB without it, it may just require some convoluted gliding, and you will need lean techniques.

I got 100% in auric basin without lean tecniques. That one tricky giding section where you’re intended to use the leyline? you can do it without even having updrafts unlocked. it just takes some extremely precise jumping and gliding.

Guild Master ā€“ The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Surek.3056

Surek.3056

I haven’t encountered that one. Still, 4 million plus exp and 12 mastery points to access a jumping puzzle?

The jumping puzzle itself is not even challenging, but it’s part of an achievement. So yeah, if you want to have all the achievements in Auric Basin you need Ley Line gliding. But then again, if you’re the type of person to want all the achievements it shouldnt be a problem for you to get gliding VI, since you’re supposedly a dedicated player.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The whole point of the mastery system is to have a non-gated progression system.

Each mastery thus follows the same basic layout.

Tier 1- easy to get, required to traverse the jungle

Tier 2- easy to get, required to access some vendors/areas

Tier 3- medium difficulty, improve QoL

Tier 4- medium difficulty- required to access a few non-essential areas/quests

Tier 5- hard difficulty- QoL upgrade

Tier 6- hard difficulty- QoL upgrade

This is exactly how the mastery system was designed. You can now get around easier and access a few hard to reach locations easier, but it doesn’t block progress for anyone who really wants to see the content without the mastery.

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Anyone know if gliding Tier 5 mastery will help with Sanctum Scramble race adventure? I am having a hard time getting silver in it.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack ā€“ Mesmer

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Anyone know if gliding Tier 5 mastery will help with Sanctum Scramble race adventure? I am having a hard time getting silver in it.

The only thing you need to get gold on that adventure is basic gliding and an understanding of the skills. You can use skill 2 while gliding. You should be using all 3 of your skills basically on CD for that race.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

The only thing you need to get gold on that adventure is basic gliding and an understanding of the skills. You can use skill 2 while gliding. You should be using all 3 of your skills basically on CD for that race.

this

i often use 3 to get bypass an insane amount of jumps

and use 1 and 2 in a combo of: 1, start gliding, 2….wait til i need to stop….2, stop gliding

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

If Nocta’s referring to the one I think (s)he is, you don’t need gliding at all, at least to get past the ley-line bit… You can get to the other side with a Nuhoch Wallow. I remember gliding after that, but I can’t remember if I had to glide or if I was just doing it for fun.

Ithilwen.1529

As an update I did get Highest Gear, the jp in Auric Basin that requires Ley Line Gliding. I’m still pretty unimpressed. Hopefully there will be some ley line highways or speed runs in Dragon’s Stand to discover. I’ve found one, near ley line confluence. It’s short and doesn’t particularly go anywhere.

BTW reward for the Auric Basin jp? 3 aurilium, 3 eph fragments and a blue quality short bow.

Attachments:

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

As an update I did get Highest Gear, the jp in Auric Basin that requires Ley Line Gliding. I’m still pretty unimpressed. Hopefully there will be some ley line highways or speed runs in Dragon’s Stand to discover. I’ve found one, near ley line confluence. It’s short and doesn’t particularly go anywhere.

BTW reward for the Auric Basin jp? 3 aurilium, 3 eph fragments and a blue quality short bow.

Maybe Anet will make this an requirement for raid content…

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack ā€“ Mesmer

Ithilwen.1529

OK update, I’ve found 2 mastery points in TD that demand Ley Line Gliding

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

One thing that annoys me in Tangled Depths, now that I have Ley Line Gliding, is that a lot of things that look like Ley Lines, actually aren’t. Like in the SCAR lane, there are all these ley lines coming out of the ground, and I thought you could ride them like updrafts, but no, they do nothing. And in the Ogre village there are all these vents that have Ley energy coming out of them, and thought I could use those like updrafts to move around the area, but no, they do nothing. The only ones that seem to work are the ones right in the central area, the ones in the Ogre lane, and a few of the high up ones.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

We need something in the Wiki that lists major Ley Line runs: Ley Lines that take you a fair distance, like the Ogre Lane run. I came here looking for it, and was surprised that no one seems to have done it.

So far, I’ve found the Ogre Lane run and the Nuoch Lane run (which takes you to an otherwise-unreachable mastery point, by the way). I suspect other lanes have them as well. In DS, I found one useful one that avoids a lot of patrols — it starts near the initial camp — but most of what I’ve found so far are short and don’t appear to go anywhere useful so I’m not sure if they’re only useful during the event or not.

ANET SUGGESTION: Add a Ley Line in VB that takes you up into the canopy. Give a reward to those who stick around — one that lets us help other folks more easily. (Add other top-level mastery abilities to also get there if that makes things more fair.)

P.S. I can confirm that you can get to the HP in the southwest of AB using only Leaning Techniques from the initial WP in the northwest corner. You might be able to do it in one glide, though I always land on a big tree within sight of the goal. I could never get across the broken bridge in the mid-East by gliding only, though. (The one with the Ley Line where the bridge used to be.) I also found a couple of lock boxes while exploring that option, gaining two more mastery points (that aren’t indicated on the map).

(edited by Druitt.7629)

Posted by: Ghostwind.4380

Ghostwind.4380

Yeah, they need to add more ley line gliding areas to make it worth it. Other than Dragons Stand I haven’t found any real use for it.

They should add gliding to core tyria, and vertical ley lines that spring up on the wp’s. Then you can use the wp’s to get into the air on the ley lines and glide across the maps. That would be cool.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, they need to add more ley line gliding areas to make it worth it. Other than Dragons Stand I haven’t found any real use for it.

They should add gliding to core tyria, and vertical ley lines that spring up on the wp’s. Then you can use the wp’s to get into the air on the ley lines and glide across the maps. That would be cool.

I’d appreciate it if leyline gliding opened up areas that were normally blocked off by metas. Verdant Brink canopy being a good example. Instead of needing a chopper, zip on up with leyline. Instead of finding “the right chopper”, take a leyline path from one boss area to another. (Pack a lunch, it’d be a long flight. o_O)

Many alts; handle it!
“Iā€™m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

I got 100% in auric basin without lean tecniques. That one tricky giding section where you’re intended to use the leyline? you can do it without even having updrafts unlocked. it just takes some extremely precise jumping and gliding.

Same here. I have ony updrafts unlocked and have 100% map completion in Auric Basin. Also, I didn’t use any updrafts in getting to the golem Hero Point in the west of Auric Basin, so that can be done with basic gliding alone.

I’d appreciate it if leyline gliding opened up areas that were normally blocked off by metas. Verdant Brink canopy being a good example. Instead of needing a chopper, zip on up with leyline. Instead of finding “the right chopper”, take a leyline path from one boss area to another.

That would be something that would make me seriously consider unlocking Leyline Gliding. As it is right now, Leyline Gliding has a very low priority for me because it adds so little utility.

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

@Gudy: I tip my hat to you. I thought I was pretty clever using Leaning Techniques to get to the Golem HP in the west of Auric Basin. Doing it without that is amazing. Congrats!

I have to add that I like flying puzzles much more than jumping puzzles. Less fidgety, in my opinion, and at least in the case of the Golem HP, it was beautiful flying there. (I’ve also discovered two unmarked mastery points while up there trying long-distance flights. Overall, it’s a fun mechanic.)

Having pushed all the way to Ley Lines — which I think is a nice addition — I’m now having to circle back and work on the Nuhoch Wallows. That’s a bit painful, but at least it’s a much shorter process.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

I’d appreciate it if leyline gliding opened up areas that were normally blocked off by metas. Verdant Brink canopy being a good example. Instead of needing a chopper, zip on up with leyline. Instead of finding “the right chopper”, take a leyline path from one boss area to another. (Pack a lunch, it’d be a long flight. o_O)

You can do this already in Verdant Brink without a chopper and without ley-line-gliding if you know where to go and where to glide.

But they could put some “ley-line fast-lane” in the canopy like they did at the last map-fight in DS where ley-lines help to go from isle to isle faster.

On the other hand: ley-lines are normally on the ground or deep underground in caves. But not up high in the air. So it does not fit to the lore to put them in the canopy.

Posted by: Gudy.3607

Gudy.3607

@Gudy: I tip my hat to you. I thought I was pretty clever using Leaning Techniques to get to the Golem HP in the west of Auric Basin. Doing it without that is amazing. Congrats!

Thanks! Finding that route was both fun and a little frustrating (when having to work my way back to the starting point past all those pocket raptors, smoke scales and tengu after just barely missing a ledge at the end of a glide or jump). In fact, now that I’m stuck with map completion in Tangled Depths (a bunch of non-soloable HPs and a few POIs I still have no idea how to get to), I’m thinking about going back to Auric Basin and maybe finding another basic-gliding-only route to the Golem HP.

I have to add that I like flying puzzles much more than jumping puzzles. Less fidgety, in my opinion, and at least in the case of the Golem HP, it was beautiful flying there.

Yep, I love gliding and figuring out flight routes. Both Verdant Brink and Auric Basin have some really scenic updraft routes…

Having pushed all the way to Ley Lines — which I think is a nice addition — I’m now having to circle back and work on the Nuhoch Wallows. That’s a bit painful, but at least it’s a much shorter process.

I pushed for Nuhoch Wallows first – they help a lot in Auric Basin, and Tangled Depth is much less insanity inducing with Nuhoch Wallows unlocked.