Little Miss Sunshine

Little Miss Sunshine

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

What will happen to players who do not buy this expansion? They probably will not be able to do any future Living Story after the expansion is released.

There will be a huge separation between players. People who buy the expansion will have a clear advantage over those who don’t because of specializations(unless this is for everyone).

Will core players get access to the new WvW map, the stronghold pvp mode, guild halls? How about crafting precursors?

This expansion is practically mandatory if one doesn’t want to feel left behind. I am surprised that this expansion has a price tag when it seems like all of this stuff could have been included in a free feature update. Not making enough money from the gem store I guess.

This expansion’s major features explained at the panel seem to be only slightly larger in comparison to what we have been getting through the living story and feature updates for 2 years.

If it has to cost anything I wouldn’t price it over $20

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

We don’t know any of this yet.

They haven’t mentioned the Living Story in relation to the expansion at all. It might be put on hold for story in the expansion, it might be separate but require going to the new maps, or it might be that the expansion’s story is separate and the living story continues alongside it. We have no idea.

Likewise we don’t know if some/all of the features will be added to the core game. I can’t see how the new WvW maps could be exclusive to players who buy the expansion unless they completely change how WvW works, but again we don’t know.

We also don’t know what the price tag will be, or if the people speculating that we could buy it with gems are right.

Basically at this point it’s far too early to comment on any of these concerns.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

What will happen to players who do not buy this expansion? They probably will not be able to do any future Living Story after the expansion is released.

As far as this bit goes if they are smart they will structure it so that the living story will go in a different direction once it picks back up sometime after HoT (which we can assume because HoT is the direct continuation to the end of S2 storywise, while we may or may not get some fluff like SAB in the interim while waiting for HoT).

The way I see it is that LS will exist to bridge the gaps between expansions and maybe play out some minor plotlines in addition that. Assuming expansions will consistently head after different dragons or to different continents entirely it is safe to assume it would be a long while before there would be a forced “regional overlap” between living story and HoT.

Or they might deliberately make it so that parts of the living story (perhaps some related but otherwise self-contained plots) will require HoT while others will not. To entice purchases.

At the end of the day, we do not know how HoT features will trickle into the base game at all right now. We don’t even know enough about the pricing and release model for HoT to say if for example you can convert gold to gems to eventually by HoT with.

Little Miss Sunshine

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

There is no way that they would sell the expansion through the gem shop. Anet took the traditional route and is selling this in stores and digital downloads.

Sure you can buy the deluxe edition for 2000 gems , but that doesn’t really give you anything other than a few boosters , 1 mini, and something else I don’t remember.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

There is no way that they would sell the expansion through the gem shop. Anet took the traditional route and is selling this in stores and digital downloads.

Personally I think so too, but at this point it is really too early to tell. Let’s not forget that, to my knowledge, ArenaNet is the only MMO company that actually stopped selling their game at one point so that the players that had the game could play while they sorted out the problems with server loads .

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I would say the opposite is going to happen.

Most of the players that left GW2, left in the first year to year and a half when Anet was still trying to figure out what they wanted to do and how they were going to do it. Those days were an experimental mess that didn’t inspire a lot of confidence in the staying power of the game or the developers.

On the other hand, if they start doing good LS updates, shortly, or even immediately after the release of HoT, this time around they are going to retain those players the post-launch lull caused them to lose before.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Not making enough money from the gem store I guess.

Yes.

The entire goal behind the expansion is to make players feel like they have to buy it. Expected overpowered skills and an overpowered profession, plus other increases in power that turn make those without HoT into second rate citzens. Good luck getting into groups in PvE or winning anything in PvP.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

Not making enough money from the gem store I guess.

Yes.

The entire goal behind the expansion is to make players feel like they have to buy it. Expected overpowered skills and an overpowered profession, plus other increases in power that turn make those without HoT into second rate citzens. Good luck getting into groups in PvE or winning anything in PvP.

I really wonder where you heard of anything overpowered. I think you have played Archeage too much to state such things.

Different yes, overpowered no. For the simple reason that, as far as we were told today, nobody (including HoT players) will be forced to specialize. Specializing will be an option, nothing more, nothing less. I main a ranger because I love rangers, have always mained that class archetype, and I don’t intend for it to become a druid.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

Iv’e been wondering the same thing Chewablesleeptablet and I couldn’t agree more. If they’re not going to continue the LS there will be a huge player drop-off. And if they do how is HoT going to affect that seeing the entire season was charging up for Mordremoth then, splat, nothing. Just a huge chunk of story missing.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

There has been no mention anywhere that Living Story will be discontinued.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

My guess is HoT will finish off Mordemoth, and living story will focus on rebuilding Tyrian forces, about a year later it will focus on the aftermath of the Mordemoth’s death, and us going after another dragon which will build to another expansion in another 18- 24 months. Rinse and repeat.

There is still plenty to do in Orr too, like its cleansing. Living story could focus there.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

This is a step in the right direction. Other mmo’s, even gw2’s predecessor, got by just fine without things like Living Story. Expansion’s is what we need. And if people are too cheap to buy them then that’s their problem. I’m sorry if that sounds rude but that’s just the way it is.

I’m absolutely stoked by this expansion and from what I have seen so far it already offers more than an entire LS season. And if I have to pay for that, then so be it. It comes with the B2P model.

My guess is some time after HoT there will be an LS season again as a transition between Mordremoth and the next dragon. Then another expansion for the next dragon.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Rem.9627

Rem.9627

There will be a huge separation between players. People who buy the expansion will have a clear advantage over those who don’t because of specializations(unless this is for everyone).

Will core players get access to the new WvW map, the stronghold pvp mode, guild halls? How about crafting precursors?

This expansion is practically mandatory if one doesn’t want to feel left behind. I am surprised that this expansion has a price tag when it seems like all of this stuff could have been included in a free feature update. Not making enough money from the gem store I guess.

This expansion’s major features explained at the panel seem to be only slightly larger in comparison to what we have been getting through the living story and feature updates for 2 years.

I hate to say this but the minority is you, The people who will not get the expansion and yes people will have specializations in the expansion that others will not (not an advantage mind you but a whole new twist to the gameplay.)

I never understood the camp who don’t expect to pay for the expansion and yet expect more than half of its features. ALSO the expansion is not in any way shape or form mandatory its still a choice and they have already mentioned that the living story will take place still in the original world and pick up after the events of the expansion (STORY WISE).

Since the crafting of precursors is done through the mastery system I would lean towards a resounding nope on everyone having it since masteries are thus far only known to be earned in the heart of maguuma. However they may implement core mode masteries which could contain the precursor scavenger hunt.

Much love

Little Miss Sunshine

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

I hate to say this but the minority is you, The people who will not get the expansion and yes people will have specializations in the expansion that others will not (not an advantage mind you but a whole new twist to the gameplay.)

I never understood the camp who don’t expect to pay for the expansion and yet expect more than half of its features. ALSO the expansion is not in any way shape or form mandatory its still a choice and they have already mentioned that the living story will take place still in the original world and pick up after the events of the expansion (STORY WISE).

Since the crafting of precursors is done through the mastery system I would lean towards a resounding nope on everyone having it since masteries are thus far only known to be earned in the heart of maguuma. However they may implement core mode masteries which could contain the precursor scavenger hunt.

Much love

You assume I will not buy the expansion….. You are dead wrong.

I just don’t think I would call all of these features expansion worthy comparing it to other MMO expansions.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I just don’t think I would call all of these features expansion worthy comparing it to other MMO expansions.

Exactly! This “expansion” is pretty anemic even when compared with EOTN let alone an expansion from a current AAA mmo.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

Exactly! This “expansion” is pretty anemic even when compared with EOTN let alone an expansion from a current AAA mmo.

So a new class, a new way of playing all existing classes, a new way to WvW, a new way to sPvP, guild halls, a area Anet keeps saying will be really really big, and what amounts to leveling up when you’re level cap can’t compare to WotLK? I find this weird, especially since we’ve yet to see how extensive the things are.

Little Miss Sunshine

BilboBaggins.5620

So a new class, a new way of playing all existing classes, a new way to WvW, a new way to sPvP, guild halls, a area Anet keeps saying will be really really big, and what amounts to leveling up when you’re level cap can’t compare to WotLK? I find this weird, especially since we’ve yet to see how extensive the things are.

Guild Wars: Eye of the North expansion:
The expansion introduces:

41 new armor sets, including rare, stand-alone pieces

100 new profession-specific skills (10 per profession, none of which are elite)

50 new PvE only skills including 3 elite skills

10 new heroes

18 Dungeons

124 new quests

The Hall of Monuments, a place which allows you to obtain unique titles, companions, weapons, armor, and miniatures in Guild Wars 2 based on your achievements in the original Guild Wars. The Hall of Monuments does not support the transfer of characters or gold.

Actions have more consequences. For example, if you lose NPCs that help you, you can choose to continue without them (and their help) instead of being forced to try again (although you may start over with a clean slate by going back to town). Similarly, if you rescue NPCs, they may join you and help you.

More than the previous campaigns, Eye of the North is full of easter eggs and “hidden” quests, which are not immediately accessible.

4 new regions

Charr Homelands
The green homeland of the Charr, north of Ascalon and east to the Far Shiverpeaks.

Depths of Tyria
An immense interconnected underground complex of natural caves and excavated areas underneath Tyria.

Far Shiverpeaks
A desolate mountain range to the north of the Shiverpeak Mountains we know. It is home to the Norn and the Ebon Vanguard.

Tarnished Coast
An area of high magical energy, and home to the Asura.

Based on what we know so far, this expansion is nowhere near as extensive as an expansion released by ArenaNet a decade ago. This is cause for some skepticism. I don’t know the final specs for this new expansion because they haven’t told any of us that info, but what they have told us is NOT a lot of content.

(edited by BilboBaggins.5620)

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

And “what we know so far” is surely everything they’re planning. After all, Arenanet regularly makes a habit of divulging all information about their plans at the earliest possible momenn_nnnn_—-AAGH!

Ow. I think my sarcasm gland ruptured.

But mostly, I wanted to address the topic creator’s concerns:

I feel that some changes, like the Guild Halls and the character growth, will be universally applied. For the former, it would be silly if a GL buys his guild a hall, and half his members can’t go in because they don’t have the expansion. Guild Halls are meant to bring guilds together, NOT separate them.

As regards the character growth, it would basically go against one of GW2’s biggest tenets to create a measurable performance difference between players (especially when said players could end up meeting in sPvP).

I would hope the additions to WvW and sPvP also get universally applied, because those have always been separate from the PvE experience – throughout GW1’s history, they made sure everyone could access all the PvP content, regardless of their account’s content status (Hero Battles, while it existed, was the only exception, because it required Heroes).

Certainly, there will be a great deal of expansion-exclusive content, starting with the new profession and including the actual PvE content that gets added, which I would hope is extensive enough to be worth “expansion” status.

As for the arguments involving Living Story – I suspect that Living Story will continue to exist, providing new content even after the expansion (since it will surely be a good while before they can make another!). I would hope that any such future Living Story, although it may be predicated on following content from the Expansion itself, would be made available even to people without the expansion. (I leave the logistics of working them into the narrative to the experts at Arenanet.) I do not see Heart of Thorns as excluding anybody from any PvE content that is not part of Heart of Thorns itself.

Naturally, I cannot be sure. Just like the rest of you, I know only what was just revealed. I am simply basing my assumptions on Arenanet policies throughout the lives of GW1 and GW2.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

It’s a paid expansion. The objective is to make content in the expansion that will entice people to buy it. That’s the point.
Fortunately, GW2 is a game where you don’t have to worry about falling behind. You don’t have to worry about not having access to the new level cap, or to a new tier of gear, and none of the non-expansion content will be obsolete just because the expansion released. This also means that players who buy the expansion won’t somehow be buying themselves some huge advantage over players who don’t. You won’t have the new shinnies, but balance wise you’ll still be on equal footing.
If you don’t want to buy it, you can continue playing and enjoying the game you already bought, and the 2+ years of free patches it has accumulated.
If you get envious of those who have the new stuff, buy the expansion.

I imagine you’ll retain access to all the current content (presumably including WvW since the new map is mixed in to it), as well as generic “inseparable” things like changes to fundamental game mechanics and balance. You won’t have access to new stuff, new maps, guild halls, new pvp mode, things like that.
Arena Net will give us a precise breakdown of where they draw the line, but it’ll inevitably be something to this effect.

If you want the new content, the new “stuff”, then you’ll have to pay though. I really don’t know what to tell someone who’s upset at the idea of having to pay for content….
Spoiled from the past 2 1/2 years of free stuff? I don’t know what else to think. You can only get free stuff for so long before it comes time to pay up again.

Funnily, I’ve always questioned people who want an expansion for this very reason. Why would you want to pay when you’re getting free patches otherwise? xD

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

People complained that the LS was not working, and wanted a expansion. ANet are giving the people what they want. Let me ask a question. If you played another MMO, and they added things in an expansion, would you get access to them if you just had the core game? No you would not. I can not wait to get it. I’m happy to support ANet and I th k they are doing a great job.

If you had watch d the announcement OP I think most of your questions would have been answered there.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Code.8615

Code.8615

10 new heroes

18 Dungeons

124 new quests

The Hall of Monuments, a place which allows you to obtain unique titles, companions, weapons, armor, and miniatures in Guild Wars 2 based on your achievements in the original Guild Wars. The Hall of Monuments does not support the transfer of characters or gold.

Actions have more consequences. For example, if you lose NPCs that help you, you can choose to continue without them (and their help) instead of being forced to try again (although you may start over with a clean slate by going back to town). Similarly, if you rescue NPCs, they may join you and help you.

More than the previous campaigns, Eye of the North is full of easter eggs and “hidden” quests, which are not immediately accessible.

4 new regions

Charr Homelands
The green homeland of the Charr, north of Ascalon and east to the Far Shiverpeaks.

Depths of Tyria
An immense interconnected underground complex of natural caves and excavated areas underneath Tyria.

Far Shiverpeaks
A desolate mountain range to the north of the Shiverpeak Mountains we know. It is home to the Norn and the Ebon Vanguard.

Tarnished Coast

Based on what we know so far, this expansion is nowhere near as extensive as an expansion released by ArenaNet a decade ago. This is cause for some skepticism. I don’t know the final specs for this new expansion because they haven’t told any of us that info, but what they have told us is NOT a lot of content.

Man, I loved EotN.
One of the best things that happened to GW.

So far, this expansion looks pretty thin indeed.
On GW one, expansions were actual expansions. You got entire new world segments. Here we just get a slight expansion of Maguuma (already my least favourite part of the map as it is).
Anet’s been making some bad calls lately, and at the rate things have been going, I’m not even sure I’m going to bother buying it.
Not unless there’s a lot more to it than they’ve told us about so far, which seems unlikely since, so far, anet’s been over-promising rather than under-promising when it comes to content.

Having said that, people whining that they won’t get their new stuff for free should shut up.
Expansions cost money. That’s how it works. There’s nothing new going on here.
If you want it, buy it. If not, keep playing the base game you paid for.

(edited by Code.8615)

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Severino.3604

Severino.3604

It amazes me how cheap some people can be about making a one time purchase on a game that has otherwise dished out free content for the past two years.

Oh yeah, all while being subscriptionless at the same time.

Even if I had no interests in playing the expansion, I would still purchase it just to give ArenaNet my support.

There’s going to be no huge separation of players, maybe just a few stragglers like yourself who can’t get mommy to give you her credit card number.

“Free” content. Have you looked at NCsoft sales figures for GW2 recently? They aren’t making 30mil per quarter on game sales alone. They aren’t a charity, they’re not giving anything away for free.

Calling the upcoming expansion a glorified content patch is justified given the lack of content revealed so far. I’m already mildly disappointed, which will only be compunded by how much the expac will end up costing. I’m thinking $10. I’m not saddened by the lack of a new race, level cap increase, new dungeons, or a new armour tier specifically, its just that by the time it launches it’ll have been nearly three years since release, and what they’ve announced is… lacking.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

If arena.net were the shameless, conniving, underhanded drug pushers that they are…erm i mean aren’t…hehe…they would have living story go into the expansion turf regardless of you having it or not. You’d see some (but not most) of the new zones, experience some of the new gameplay mechanics (but only inside LS) and meet some of the expansion’s crucial npcs. Then as you’re pulled in with all the new maps, gameplay additions and lore that’s revealed inside LS, you gotta go back to basic version of Guild Wars 2, left craving, starving, a hallowed husk of a men, crawling on the floor, gasping for more maguuma, with every breath more desperate to get it..

2 days and one sold kidney later you barely got the money needed to buy the x-pac (hey, that kidney of yours was worth more then you thought!), punch in the code download the xpac and enjoy your precioussss….doze of maguuma…

Don’t worry, they know you got one more…they’ll be back for it, rest assured…

Luckily A-net aren’t such incarnations of evil, and it’s just my imagination going wild…right? Erm..guys? ….hello?

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Bear in mind the eotn zones had very little substance in them in places. Some were just tranisitional to other zones. GW2 zones are considerably different and generally contain a higher level of replay value.

Since no detail has yet been given, it is neither or logically possible to compare EOTN to HoT. That time will come towards or after release.

In terms of how the living story will work and segregation occurs, I think it likely some will happen since that it is the natural yet unfortunate side effect of most expansions. However, much is yet to be revealed in the coming deep dives which will hopefully explain more. Im sure Gail for one will be collating this in her feedback as well.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Bear in mind the eotn zones had very little substance in them in places. Some were just tranisitional to other zones. GW2 zones are considerably different and generally contain a higher level of replay value.

Yeah, only reason I even bothered not just rushing through those zones was just for map exploration and vanquishing. They were incredibly dull.

Little Miss Sunshine

BilboBaggins.5620

Since no detail has yet been given, it is neither or logically possible to compare EOTN to HoT. That time will come towards or after release.

In terms of how the living story will work and segregation occurs, I think it likely some will happen since that it is the natural yet unfortunate side effect of most expansions. However, much is yet to be revealed in the coming deep dives which will hopefully explain more. Im sure Gail for one will be collating this in her feedback as well.

Believe it or not I actually agree with most of what you’ve said. My reason/point/whatever for comparing the only other ArenaNet expansion to this one is to say there’s reason to be skeptical and hesitant regarding this content.

The “hype train” is swooping the community up so much that some people are competing as to how high they’d pay for this. We don’t know everything about this content yet – that’s obvious – but even if this is all there is, if it came at a $10-20 price point I’d definitely consider it. If it came at a $30-40 price point I’d definitely skip it.

If, after we learn everything there is to learn about this new content, we find it’s a great amount of content for the price I’ll be the first to be glad my skeptical outlook was wrong.

Little Miss Sunshine

Gilgalas.7860

10 new heroes

18 Dungeons

124 new quests

4 new regions

Charr Homelands

Depths of Tyria

Far Shiverpeaks

Tarnished Coast

I did not play GW1 at that time, so I am probably not as much blindly in love with that game as some others here are, yet I am still playing it to get my HoM achievements and that comment made me laugh to great length.

41 new armor sets ? No, there were 4 by class. They may have had a different appearance by classes, but you should remember that they all were low quality models that did not require much work.

100 new profession skills ? Yes, but it was only 10 by class. Classes that already counted about a hundred of skills. Many of which were redundant. Quite useless in fact. They could have added 10k skills to each classes without anyone taking notice of the difference.

Hereos do not apply

18 new dungeons ? Are you really serious ? Did you play recently to GW1 ? EotN dungeons are just so awfull, stuffs made of 3-4 tiny and ugly disconnected areas without any specific boss mechanic, with almost no specific art.

Quests do not apply

4 new regions. What exactly tells you that HoT will have less. They are just words yes, but Colin spoke of “tremendous space”

People that think they know everything of the extension based on an one hour long speach that was meant to only put the spotlight on the brand new features really make me laugh. I humbly suggest you buy yourself a crystal ball and start predicting people their future.

(edited by Gilgalas.7860)

Little Miss Sunshine

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

You cant compare EotN with Heart of THorns.. GW1 is a CoopRPG , not an MMO.

HoT should only be compared to other AAA MMO expansions and HoT seems very small.

Everything Anet said that they were going to release in this expansion was presumed to be released for free in a feature pack last year. Kind of disappointing.

Little Miss Sunshine

Gilgalas.7860

Everything Anet said that they were going to release in this expansion was presumed to be released for free in a feature pack last year. Kind of disappointing.

This is a self inflicted disappointment. The only source of information is Anet and it is your own problem if you presume or choose to believe in what other presume around. This is actually the very reason why Anet communicates so little concerning its projects: because players tend to presume way to fast.
And this extension is just another example of this problem. We got very little information yet some players are already presumming there will be no new dungeon, zones will be small and so on and start complaining when there was in fact actually not even a piece of data to back this.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Sure you can buy the deluxe edition for 2000 gems , but that doesn’t really give you anything other than a few boosters , 1 mini, and something else I don’t remember.

It’s totally possible actually. Keep in mind, people will likely have to download the new content anyways even if they don’t own the expansion just to make it simple. Whenever you purchase something from the gem shop, it’s already downloaded by your client, the purchase simply acts a flag that says “Hey this account should now have access to this stuff”.

That being said, it would be a terrible idea if they make it available for gems as it would wreak havoc on the gold —-> gem conversion rates.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I’m going to assume they would use living story as a catalyst to drive players to purchase the expansion. For example, the map for a living story step wouldn’t be locked behind the expac. If that story step required the use of a glider, they would give you temporary access to it or some alternative path to use, to give players a feel for what’s available to them if they purchase. Rytlock would be a driving factor to show off how cool the new profession you could access as well. While this is just speculation, it is a good way to give players access to expac features to drive them to get it.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Little Miss Sunshine

BilboBaggins.5620

I did not play GW1 at that time, so I am probably not as much blindly in love with that game as some others here are, yet I am still playing it to get my HoM achievements and that comment made me laugh to great length.

41 new armor sets ? No, there were 4 by class. They may have had a different appearance by classes, but you should remember that they all were low quality models that did not require much work.

100 new profession skills ? Yes, but it was only 10 by class. Classes that already counted about a hundred of skills. Many of which were redundant. Quite useless in fact. They could have added 10k skills to each classes without anyone taking notice of the difference.

Hereos do not apply

18 new dungeons ? Are you really serious ? Did you play recently to GW1 ? EotN dungeons are just so awfull, stuffs made of 3-4 tiny and ugly disconnected areas without any specific boss mechanic, with almost no specific art.

Quests do not apply

4 new regions. What exactly tells you that HoT will have less. They are just words yes, but Colin spoke of “tremendous space”

People that think they know everything of the extension based on an one hour long speach that was meant to only put the spotlight on the brand new features really make me laugh. I humbly suggest you buy yourself a crystal ball and start predicting people their future.

I went back and highlighted two specific areas where I stated I didn’t “know everything” about the new expansion. Before you are rude and condescending to someone make sure you’ve read everything they said.

(edited by BilboBaggins.5620)

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

I went back and highlighted two specific areas where I stated I didn’t “know everything” about the new expansion. Before you are rude and condescending to someone you might want to read for comprehension and not for how to be the biggest ….

So people shouldn’t make rude and condescending remarks about your rude and condescending remarks? Gotcha.

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist the sarcastic generalization and apologies for that. However, just like you just said, no one should be making calls on its scale before we see it, neither you nor me. The Maguuma jungle could be about the size of Lomar’s pass, or Tyria. You don’t know. I don’t know. Kittens, from what Gaile has been saying, the devs themselves might not know were they want it to end.

Little Miss Sunshine

BilboBaggins.5620

I went back and highlighted two specific areas where I stated I didn’t “know everything” about the new expansion. Before you are rude and condescending to someone you might want to read for comprehension and not for how to be the biggest ….

So people shouldn’t make rude and condescending remarks about your rude and condescending remarks? Gotcha.

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist the sarcastic generalization and apologies for that. However, just like you just said, no one should be making calls on its scale before we see it, neither you nor me. The Maguuma jungle could be about the size of Lomar’s pass, or Tyria. You don’t know. I don’t know. Kittens, from what Gaile has been saying, the devs themselves might not know were they want it to end.

You’re right to call me out, I shouldn’t have responded in kind. I’ve just seen one to many personal attacks when I’ve been stating my position without attacking. It’s like I can’t have a viewpoint that might be critical of ArenaNet without being a stupid, immature, entitled, whiny “kid”. In another thread I’m told to stop whining and ask mommy for more allowance?! Ok, disagreeing with ArenaNet makes me young again… I can live with that, I’d love to be living in my parent’s house for free again.

Oh well, time to edit a post and take out the personal crap.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Sinope.5630

Sinope.5630

My opinion is this:
GW2 HoT is not exactly expansion. It is Living Story season 3 behind of pay wall. They will put in there whole Living Story season 3, couple planned feature packs (wvw, pvp + Guild Halls) and one new profession, what would have come during Living Story season 3 anyways.

Why they did this solution to make Living Story season 3 behind of pay wall?

• People have said during season 2 that two weeks period is too slow for them, they want whole season at once, so Season 3 is coming like that
  • People have demand expansion, so they will give LS Season 3 in Expansion mode (yes if there is collector’s edition, there will be Rytlock doll again, but this time he will have blindfold on his head)
  • People did’t like that 200 gems system for Season 2, at least when they had to buy it one shot
  • Free living story is history, because people didn’t mention that they liked that free log in system for living story.

Lets see, They are now testing this type of Living Story mode, if there is a lot of players who will buy it, it will continue in that way. And because it is boxed version, it will cost more than what Living Story season 2 did, all marketing fees, material costs, delivery costs and so on. So if whole season 2 would have cost like 20 euro’s when you bought whole thing, I can imagine that Living Story season 3 standard version will cost at least 40 – 50 euro’s because of more other costs.

Those who have core game, I bet they won’t have access new wvw map or new pvp, and they won’t have Guild Halls either, those are included to the “expansion” now. Core game players don’t have access Revenant profession, or specialization or masteries or new pve map either.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I expect Anet has thought of this and will specifically make future LS events in other areas and NOT in the expansion zones to avoid this very issue.

I expect the expansion will close up all the plot related to Mordremoth and the Maguuma Jungle, and once the LS picks back up we’ll be going in a different direction. Going after another dragon in another region of the world, dealing with some other unrelated problem, whatever.

Little Miss Sunshine

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Actually in an interview by Eurogamer the devs said they won’t be doing Living Story anymore….. So that’s that and another sad time in the gaming industry where this living story innovation should have stayed.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Actually in an interview by Eurogamer the devs said they won’t be doing Living Story anymore…..

Wow, so ArenaNet is actually willing to admit that the Living Story was a failure?

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Actually in an interview by Eurogamer the devs said they won’t be doing Living Story anymore….. So that’s that and another sad time in the gaming industry where this living story innovation should have stayed.

They said there will be no LS between now and HoT, NOT that it is gone forever.

Source: The same as yours, Eurogamer

Also in one of the video interviews they said they planned on starting LS again after the expansion was out, but since their has been a large influx of interviews this past week I don’t feel like finding the right one. Not gonna go to the effort for someone trolling.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Little Miss Sunshine

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Actually in an interview by Eurogamer the devs said they won’t be doing Living Story anymore…..

Wow, so ArenaNet is actually willing to admit that the Living Story was a failure?

They did say a while ago that if Living Story was a success then they wouldn’t have to come up with a traditional expansion. So yes it basically means they think that their creation was a failure.

At least in Living Story is was like watching your favorite TV series every sunday or Saturday for 30 mins. Now when you buy the expansion you will blow through everything .

(edited by Chewablesleeptablet.3185)

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

This expansion is practically mandatory if one doesn’t want to feel left behind.

Said of every expansion that has ever existed.
Welcome to video games.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

They did say a while ago that if Living Story was a success then they wouldn’t have to come up with a traditional expansion. So yes it basically means they think that their creation was a failure.

At least in Living Story is was like watching your favorite TV series every sunday or Saturday for 30 mins. Now when you buy the expansion you will blow through everything .

Not technically true. They’re continuing the Living Story Season 3 with the expansion. Their reasoning is, according to Colin, that the demand for an expansion was so great, they couldn’t ignore it any longer. So, to make everyone happy, they’re giving us the expansion and Living Story at the same time.

I’m not wild about the expansion either, but I do see ANet’s reasoning behind it.

It’s more or less a situation of supply and demand. There is a huge demand for an expansion, so now ANet is supplying it.

It’s not a reflection, as far as I can tell, on the success or failure of Living Story. In fact, if you want to be technical, it shows it’s a success since they promoted the expansion through the Living Story. And the expansion continues the Living Story with Season 3.

Sounds like a success to me.

Gone to Reddit.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I wouldn’t call living story a failure, the last two chapters are great, the achis with meaningful rewards are epic too.

What sucked was the lack of things that the x-pac holds – big, significant upgrades such as massive new zones, new profession..you know the drill. Now is LS the cause of that, or was it meant like this from day one (big things wrapped in x-pac, while small via LS) – i don’t know. But i wouldn’t pin the tail on LS here for all the evils of the gw2’s world.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

And although we don’t know much you make comparissons between things you don’t know…. congrats

Little Miss Sunshine

BilboBaggins.5620

And although we don’t know much you make comparissons between things you don’t know…. congrats

Well now that Colin and MO have confirmed it, we DO know that what they told us at PAX is every feature that the expansion will have. So it really isn’t much of an expansion as far as content, so thanks for congratulating me on getting that right!

Moving on, it still may be worth the money depending on the price point and the details regarding the features they are releasing.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Well now that Colin and MO have confirmed it, we DO know that what they told us at PAX is every feature that the expansion will have. So it really isn’t much of an expansion as far as content, so thanks for congratulating me on getting that right!

Moving on, it still may be worth the money depending on the price point and the details regarding the features they are releasing.

So by “every feature” you mean we know exactly how many new skills they will add, how many new traits, armor/weapon skins, new zones, dungeons, events, bosses so you can make an ACTUAL comparisson with EotN?

The answer is no, so your comparisson is still useless.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

All I can say I’m absolutely stunned by people’s stinginess when it comes to a hobby that they love. We’re probably talking 40 bucks or less.

Seriously? If that’s too much for you, don’t buy it. Whining here won’t change a thing. If you want to vote nay, you’ll have to do it with your wallet.

One – Piken Square

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: AmmokK.5437

AmmokK.5437

All I can say I’m absolutely stunned by people’s stinginess when it comes to a hobby that they love. We’re probably talking 40 bucks or less.

Seriously? If that’s too much for you, don’t buy it. Whining here won’t change a thing. If you want to vote nay, you’ll have to do it with your wallet.

Stunning right?
You´d pay 10€/$ for a movie lasting 2 hours if you´re lucky but when it comes to games that cost you maybe 40€/$ for hundreds of hours, people complain…

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Today’s forecast calls for 96% chance of the sky is falling.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Little Miss Sunshine

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Guild wars 2 is one of the best price/performance (value for money/bargain) games out there. If you disagree, go ahead, and fine another game to replace it with similar value for money, but you’ll have trouble. Only games that can compete are single player games like skyrim, and upcoming witcher 3.

I’m not saying Gw2 is holy, there’s a lot of things since launch I disliked about it, but fact is, no other game has this good relation between money and what you get.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.