in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

How do you kill the Facet of Light?

Living Story Season 2 too difficult

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

The entire dungeon up to that point is building on itself – use what you learned against the other facets and you’ll be able to handle it. Get creative, and don’t be afraid to use Marjory and Kasmeer as distractions.

Posted by: Niobium.7392

Niobium.7392

By using your braaaaaaiiiiiiiin.

Ok here’s the deal. Every so often the Facet of Light [FoL] will spawn a ‘Summoned Facet’ from one of the three coloured lights. Once it spawns it will be invunerable for a period of time. Killing this add will grant you a buff whose colour corresponds to the colour of the pillar of light it was spawned from.

Having collected this buff you simply move over to the matching column where you will be granted a different buff which allows you to simultaneously damage the FoL and take no damage from the aoe it resides in. You have a limited ammount of time to deal as much damage as you can before the buff expires, where you must exit the aoe or risk death.

You’ll have to repeat this process a number of times before the FoL succumbs, keep in mind that the boss is not passive, but will lob projectiles at you which spawn aoes similar to the one it stands in. Be sure to keep on your toes.

If all else fails, get a guildy to help ya out.

DarkSpirit.7046

By using your braaaaaaiiiiiiiin.

Ok here’s the deal. Every so often the Facet of Light [FoL] will spawn a ‘Summoned Facet’ from one of the three coloured lights. Once it spawns it will be invunerable for a period of time. Killing this add will grant you a buff whose colour corresponds to the colour of the pillar of light it was spawned from.

Having collected this buff you simply move over to the matching column where you will be granted a different buff which allows you to simultaneously damage the FoL and take no damage from the aoe it resides in. You have a limited ammount of time to deal as much damage as you can before the buff expires, where you must exit the aoe or risk death.

You’ll have to repeat this process a number of times before the FoL succumbs, keep in mind that the boss is not passive, but will lob projectiles at you which spawn aoes similar to the one it stands in. Be sure to keep on your toes.

If all else fails, get a guildy to help ya out.

which is a pain for an elementalist without a guild, thus the title.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

This is why we can’t have nice things. Like AI that works.

DarkSpirit.7046

This is why we can’t have nice things. Like AI that works.

Yes we do, that is called PvP.

Posted by: Nick.7259

Nick.7259

I did LS 2 with achievements on my ele and I know there are plenty of better eles put there. Some things are easier done with specific professions but all are quite doable.

DarkSpirit.7046

I did LS 2 with achievements on my ele and I know there are plenty of better eles put there. Some things are easier done with specific professions but all are quite doable.

Nope I still can’t pass that level. Guess I am not 1337 enough to play HoT then.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Posted by: KellyCDB.7138

KellyCDB.7138

Try putting up an LFG asking for help? There are probably other folks who still need to get through that bit too. It is much easier with more than one person. I have solo’d it twice, not too bad on my warrior but it took a LONG time on my thief. Much better with a buddy!

DarkSpirit.7046

Try putting up an LFG asking for help? There are probably other folks who still need to get through that bit too. It is much easier with more than one person. I have solo’d it twice, not too bad on my warrior but it took a LONG time on my thief. Much better with a buddy!

Thanks for the practical advice. I’ll do that. It didn’t take me too long to solo this with my ranger too.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

Nope I still can’t pass that level. Guess I am not 1337 enough to play HoT then.

LOL wouldn’t your first thought to be to try to find help doing it before coming on the forums complaining that something is too hard for you, doing it solo.

Posted by: Enrif.7359

Enrif.7359

What build are you running? What armor you use?

I struggled on different LS2 parts with a meta warrior pve build. Took to much damage. But once i swapped for a cleric shoutbow it was easy. It wasnt the fastest way, but it was a easy

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

also, don’t use pets or summons. they won’t last long and wont be able to do damage.

that mission can be soloed. i did.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

which is a pain for an elementalist without a guild, thus the title.

I did this quite easily with my water staff ele. It is a pain and it did take a lot longer than with any other prof, but it can be done if you know what you are doing.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you insist on soloing everything, even when you might need help, you should probably consider a single player game, whether you’re l337 enough or not. The obvious answer is have a friend help you.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

that mission can be soloed.

(the living story, including all of the achievements, is solo content)

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

I finished all Living Story season 2 missions with a Scepter wielding Glamour Support Mesmer using only karma armor/weapons and a fps of under 10. So it is definitely possible.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Try playing that particular episode on a mesmer. It’s currently the most mesmer unfriendly place in the game. That one facet that destroys things if you don’t have the right color buff automatically kills off the clones and phantasms summoned because of the AoE field on the ground.

As for OP, consider looking into the status effect icons—they’ll tell you what is happening and you should be able to figure out what to do from there. The entire approach to glint’s lair isn’t attacking something till it’s dead all the time. In fact, the fights against the facets are more like a puzzle and the final fight is a culmination of every strategy you had to use against the previous facets.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

that mission can be soloed.

(the living story, including all of the achievements, is solo content)

of course, but some are easier in group, some are easier solo….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

DarkSpirit.7046

LOL wouldn’t your first thought to be to try to find help doing it before coming on the forums complaining that something is too hard for you, doing it solo.

I tried solo first because all the personal story quests, like the living story quests, are made for solo. If the content is not meant to be solo-ed, they would warn you when you try to solo them.

Besides, good luck trying to get someone to help you with personal story when they get nothing back in return, not even karma.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

It is soloable. I went in there on many different builds on my ele and didn’t have any problems, regardless of build. The Facet of Light is only difficult when you try to get the achievement and the red facet refuses to spawn for what feels like ages…

What problems are you experiencing, that make it so much more difficult on an ele compared to your ranger? What build are you using? E.g. D/D with healing gear could make the dmg phases more difficult/require you to have more dmg phases, apart from making it more difficult to get out of the AoE in time when the dmg phase ends… Any specifics on build, weapon set, etc. would actually make it easier to give you better advice. The general mechanics of this fight, however, have already been explained perfectly by Niobium.7392

Regarding you not finding any help:

I see Hidden Arcana lfgs on a nearly daily basis on EU servers. No idea about NA though. I’m sure if you opened your own lfg (more than 10 mins) and asked for help nicely, someone would help you. You could also ask around in LA if somebody else needs to do this instance, and if so: team up with those players.

Not all players want something in return. I (and I’m sure many others) would never ask for anything. In my experience there are many nice people in this community who like helping out others.

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

I tried solo first because all the personal story quests, like the living story quests, are made for solo. If the content is not meant to be solo-ed, they would warn you when you try to solo them.

Besides, good luck trying to get someone to help you with personal story when they get nothing back in return, not even karma.

If you are on EU, I can team up with you. Hit me up with a private message so we can set up an exact time.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Try playing that particular episode on a mesmer. It’s currently the most mesmer unfriendly place in the game. That one facet that destroys things if you don’t have the right color buff automatically kills off the clones and phantasms summoned because of the AoE field on the ground.

QFT.

Facet of Light is an annoying fight on Mesmer, but still not very hard.
And doing the Master Achievements with Mesmer was fun.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Man, if you think that’s annoying… Let’s just say the fun doesn’t end there.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I soloed all content, and only needed help twice for the achievements. If you have problems try a different class like faceroll warrior or ranger. Ele has a rather high skill cap. It’s not hard, just a matter of tactics…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

It’s an mmo…ask for help if you can’t solo. All content they added is soloable.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

o.O

LS2 is not difficult at all, just slightly more engaging than story missions.

I miss the days when games intentionally set out to be challenging and difficult to complete.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Akachi.1352

Akachi.1352

How do you kill the Facet of Light?

Lol, git gud scrub.

But seriously though, as other people have said, just use what you have leant previously in the instance to pass it. Failing that, give me a message in game and I’ll come help when I have a free minute

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I tried the chapter I needed to do in order to buy the pants carapace skin (which is strange as it is the only part you can not just buy outright with bandit crests). When I ran into trouble I just looked it up on youtube … and saw how ridiculously evil it was if you did not have a great sense of coordination. It felt to me like requiring a jumping puzzle for something basic … I would have to conform to the definition of fun someone else used.

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

o.O

LS2 is not difficult at all, just slightly more engaging than story missions.

I miss the days when games intentionally set out to be challenging and difficult to complete.

What, like Wildstar you mean? =p

But in all seriousness… I don’t know how far back you go, but this challenge you speak off is not exactly a universal thing, never was. It also tends to be on an achievement curve: finish the T1 dungeons to get the gear to survive the T2 dungeons etc.

This, however, is a much-vaunted CONTENT UPDATE, pretty much the only new stuff entering the game. It should be something everyone can complete and enjoy. And that is quite obviously not the case.

Adding hard-mode dungeon paths? Fine by me. Making the ONLY semi-permanent content added the last year hard-mode? Problematic.

Broom.2561

I tried the chapter I needed to do in order to buy the pants carapace skin (which is strange as it is the only part you can not just buy outright with bandit crests). When I ran into trouble I just looked it up on youtube … and saw how ridiculously evil it was if you did not have a great sense of coordination. It felt to me like requiring a jumping puzzle for something basic … I would have to conform to the definition of fun someone else used.

I’m unable to get the full set too. Simply can’t do those last achievements, too twitchy. And no option to use bandit crests to get the last collection items required, which completes the fail.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

classic Dunning-Kruger. You do not have to be 1337 to beat this in any way, just not very, very bad.

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

I’m not sure what the issue with doing this on an Elementalist. What’s preventing you from completing the mission on that class?

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I’m unable to get the full set too. Simply can’t do those last achievements, too twitchy. And no option to use bandit crests to get the last collection items required, which completes the fail.

Yes, that one was just really odd. Why have all of the elements of a set sold one way but do something different for one of them? Not a huge deal I suppose, but it would have been nice to get the full carapace and luminescent sets for those that do not mix ’n match.

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

took me a couple tries, but i completed it first time on a shatter mesmer built for wvw scouting. I had to look at the wiki to actually figure out the exact mechanics though.

DarkSpirit.7046

classic Dunning-Kruger. You do not have to be 1337 to beat this in any way, just not very, very bad.

In that case, I am too bad a player to play HoT then. Don’t want to spend $50 and not enjoy the game.

Bubi.7942

In that case, I am too bad a player to play HoT then. Don’t want to spend $50 and not enjoy the game.

I’m starting to wonder what’s the point of this thread.

DarkSpirit.7046

The point of this thread is to point out that some players, like me, are just not good enough to play and enjoy HoT.

Posted by: Chobits.2430

Chobits.2430

Kinda hard to give you advice since we can’t see specifically why you are having problems.

Maybe change up your build and try different weapons and strategies.

I completed All S2 with all 8 classes, solo. Make a a playthru video that we can watch and provide feedback.

Edit: The achievements for S2 are not all designed to be completed solo. You will need a group and it will take multiple attempts to get them all.

(edited by Chobits.2430)

DarkSpirit.7046

Kinda hard to give you advice since we can’t see specifically why you are having problems.

Maybe change up your build and try different weapons and strategies.

I completed All S2 with all 8 classes, solo. Make a a playthru video that we can watch and provide feedback.

I finally completed it with the help of a friend, which kind of defeats the purpose of the living stories being solo-able.

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

It is a kitten pesky boss, and the minions invuln shields last way to long considering how short a timespan you get with your own most the time…i shall beat this boss next time though! the stupid shiny prat will rue the day it decided to be annoying lol

Personally though i think its less hard more frickin annoyingly put together really just as the previous two annoying bosses were more a case of figuring out what parts are important over just trying to kick kitten overall, well apart from the orbs of death in the ascalon boss fight…those were just put there to be evil

Bubi.7942

The point of this thread is to point out that some players, like me, are just not good enough to play and enjoy HoT.

Get better then, as you seem immune to any advice, this is the best I can give you.

Btw, how do you have info on content in HoT?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I finally completed it with the help of a friend, which kind of defeats the purpose of the living stories being solo-able.

GW2 is a skill based action game and unlike most other MMOs, has higher expectations for the solo player. If you’re an average gamer, you’re going to be fine, otherwise you’re going to find the content a little too difficult. For comparison, WoW, like most MMOs (the average player in MMOs is not a gamer), treats solo content as being for the most casual of players, where you can win by practically doing nothing at all. GW2 was used to be a lot more clear in this stance, but then they nerfed the game by basically 50% during beta (even low level mobs used to feature dodge or die mechanics).

If you have trouble soloing regular enemies in Orr, Dry Top and Silverwastes, you’re going to have trouble with HoT. But that’s why people zerg. Those who can’t, believe it’s zerg content, in the same way a few people have called the living story group content.

Btw, how do you have info on content in HoT?

With what has been shown off, at the very least, we know that HoT is going to be more mobile.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Posted by: Loex.5104

Loex.5104

the whole thing is soloable – it is your fault if you cant succeed alone (and there is no problem in failing – the problem is yeling around that its not doable because you just didnt get the mechanic right atm)

The Boss isn’t hard at all but it has a lot of cool mechanics though – thats the way bosses have to be designed IMO and you don’t need to be 1337 to defeat it you just need to see the mechanics (you’ve learned before) and use them to kill it.

Please don’t be that kind of person who fails in something and starts posting kitten like its not doable. I Don’t know how often you’ve tried it or how late it was or how drunk you may were but the Boss is easy and mechanics like that are something i wish for every boss in the Game – it is not undoable .. its also not really hard .. its just not simple 0815 DPS-BrainAfk loot

Broom.2561

Get better then, as you seem immune to any advice, this is the best I can give you.

That statement is downright insulting. Some people simply do not have the PHYSICAL ability to do some of those things. There IS no ‘get better’, there may even be ‘get worse’.

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

Strange, because first you made it look like you were trying to get help for the Hidden Arcana instance. Only after several players in this thread provided help in form of a detailed description of the boss mechanics, asked questions regarding the build and weapon set you used, and even offered to help you with the instance, it became clear that you just came here for the sake of comlaining, with no intention whatsoever to actually use the help provided here.

If you think you wouldn’t enjoy HoT, because you’re not “good enough” to finish instances solo (even though it sounds more like unwilling to get better/learn mechanics/change your build/change utilities/read guides/ etc. which might be required of you for some instances), then maybe you should reconsider why you are playing a game in the first place. Running through an instance pressing 1 and watching cutscenes can’t be it, or is it?

If not, then maybe you should read through the thread you’ve created and even learn something in the process. If, however, this is exactly how you imagine instances should work, then GW2/HoT might really not be for you (which I doubt).

Also:
Apart from the fact that all story instances including related achievements in GW2 + LS are indeed soloable, it is not a bad thing if you can’t finish an instance solo for whatever reason. This is an MMO which provides the possibility to finish story instances in a group when you’re stuck, and you can still use this feature. It might even help you understand the mechanics better and get through the instance on your own next time.

Bubi.7942

That statement is downright insulting. Some people simply do not have the PHYSICAL ability to do some of those things. There IS no ‘get better’, there may even be ‘get worse’.

Of course. It is impossible to improve. Oh wait.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Elementalist’s best friend, especially against stationary targets, is Ice Bow #4. Between that and Meteor Shower you should be able to always take out a good chuck of hp in a short amount of time.

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

You just need to learn, adapt and improve your gameplay a bit maybe? But if you don’t want to then it indeed will stay too hard for you.