Lock, Stock, and one Smoking Dungeon

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Goldberg.4831

Goldberg.4831

On top of what you have already revealed, add one dungeon with a story path and three explorables. And you can gladly take XX amount of money. Why you abounded these in the first place is baffling. One of the cooler concepts in mmo’s these days imo. I know I will get flamed for the same old crap, dungeon crowd is elitist (misinformed), stacking and skipping sucks (only a few bosses is this still and issue). I pvp, I wvw, I do random world bosses, but I also like dungeons, sue me. Or better yet cater to me.

(edited by Goldberg.4831)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

How do you know they aren’t adding dungeons?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Goldberg.4831

I dont, and that is why I am on the fence over the price tag.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Good luck with that, anet dissolved their dungeon team a while back. I wouldn’t count on any if much instanced PvE content.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Because “we’ve revealed all major features” and “they’re hiding a dungeon from us” go together so well…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I seriously doubt there is a dungeon coming that they’ve not mentioned. It’s already been stated that all significant content for HoT has been revealed.

TheDaiBish.9735

Because “we’ve revealed all major features” and “they’re hiding a dungeon from us” go together so well…

One of them major features was challenging group content, which they haven’t gone into detail about.

Why would dungeons be excluded from that?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Dinks.2478

One of them major features was challenging group content, which they haven’t gone into detail about.

It might, it might not be. It is one of the main issues with this pre-purchase. Much of the reveals were without any real information. How many maps do we really get? Dungeons? Raids? Instanced content at all? New personal/living story? All sorts of ambiguous reveals or lack of information.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

They have confirmed there is no dungeons in HOT – 0 dungeons.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

TheDaiBish.9735

It might, it might not be. It is one of the main issues with this pre-purchase. Much of the reveals were without any real information. How many maps do we really get? Dungeons? Raids? Instanced content at all? New personal/living story? All sorts of ambiguous reveals or lack of information.

This is the reason why I haven’t gotten it yet.

They have confirmed there is no dungeons in HOT – 0 dungeons.

Where was that?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Dinks.2478

It was nowhere, they never confirmed any such thing.

Celtic Lady.3729

Challenging group content could just as easily refer to guild hall acquiring and new DEs in HoT maps. Since these items are the ones revealed, that’s exactly what I expect challenging group content to mean, not dungeons, fractals, or raids.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

If they start adding more content now it will either be rushed and craptastic, or you can expect it to be delayed.

It might have a dungeon rolled into it already, that is part of the problem, we just have no idea what we will be getting.

Posted by: Jaetara.4075

Jaetara.4075

I would love a new dungeon and I think is kinda necessary but I doubt we are going to get one… except if they are hiding it on the “challenging content” category.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

A dev has already explicitly stated that they were not working on any more dungeon content and had no plans for any more dungeon content in the future. There was a thread about it in the dungeon forum a while back. If you ask in the dungeon forums, someone will be able to dig it up.

That is for sure. “Challenging group content” I’m not 100% sure about, but I think that refers to VW-type content.

TheDaiBish.9735

Challenging group content could just as easily refer to guild hall acquiring and new DEs in HoT maps. Since these items are the ones revealed, that’s exactly what I expect challenging group content to mean, not dungeons, fractals, or raids.

Colin made a statement a little while ago that they weren’t referring to the open world events – or the Wyvern – as ’challenging group content:

Simply put: we haven’t announced it yet – when we’re ready to show everything about our plans for challenging content for HoT, we’ll announce it.

Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement – I will add we want our open world content experience to be more challenging as well just in general. Though the AI was better in our CBT experience – we think we still have a lot of work to do to get our creatures and encounters even at the start of Verdant Brink up to where we want them to be. Our game has great combat, our creatures and encounters should challenge and require you to use that combat system.

More info “when it’s ready”.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Where-is-promised-challenging-HOT-content/page/2#post5108382

Interview with MattVisual on the Wyvern fight

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

I don’t mind the lack of new dungeons. I would rather them fix the dungeons in the base game (particularly around how easy it is to skip content, and how zerker speedrunning is too easy) first before they add any new dungeons to the expansion.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Since Anet stated that challenging group content had not been revealed yet but it is mentioned as a seperate major feature aside from guild halls, I’d say there is a good chance that it is unrelated to guilds.

Celtic Lady.3729

Colin made a statement a little while ago that they weren’t referring to the open world events – or the Wyvern – as ’challenging group content:

Simply put: we haven’t announced it yet – when we’re ready to show everything about our plans for challenging content for HoT, we’ll announce it.

Though it isn’t the “challenging content” feature discussed in our announcement – I will add we want our open world content experience to be more challenging as well just in general. Though the AI was better in our CBT experience – we think we still have a lot of work to do to get our creatures and encounters even at the start of Verdant Brink up to where we want them to be. Our game has great combat, our creatures and encounters should challenge and require you to use that combat system.

More info “when it’s ready”.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Where-is-promised-challenging-HOT-content/page/2#post5108382

Interview with MattVisual on the Wyvern fight

Ah, okay. Good news then. Thanks for this.

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

I think these dungeons don’t fit the gameplay overall.
There is just no motivation to play them over and over again, like they wish their content to be. And there is also no real reward for playing them.

I think we might get to see something in the future. But then I suppose they overwork all the existing dungeons first, because they are just not as appealing as they thought.
But it will take a long time. The lead dungeon designer left because of that fiasco and it will take a while to form an entirely new team and create entirely new content.

And also you have to see what they need to focus on. And this is getting new players to buy the game. That’s where their money comes from. We’ve clearly seen that endgame content isn’t the highest priority in the game. So don’t expect a lot to come in the near future.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: Dibaryon.7469

Dibaryon.7469

I think the “dungeon” concept is old and overrated. Somehow old MMOs invented this concept of instanced content, and now every MMO needs to have this to cater to the needs of MMO fans or it won’t be successful. Why? All of the MMOs have this same feature, even the leveling up feature on RPGs is old and rusty. Every RPG I play there’s leveling up and a quantifiable leveling up system. It’s like seeing the same game all over again, over and over again.

Why can’t we have open world instanced content for groups of 10 players instead? This takes a lot more advantage of GW2’s system. Or a system that requires to players to do different tasks and be divided throughout the map to complete several types of events that lead to other big events.

Adding masteries was a brilliant move as opposed to raising the level cap, I hope GW2 continues to develop systems like this and distance themselves from “traditional MMOs” even further.

I sincerely hope they stop doing dungeons altogether and start focusing on open world content, which is one of this game’s strongest points.

*GANDARA *
Flipping your camps since 2014 :3

(edited by Dibaryon.7469)

TheDaiBish.9735

A dev has already explicitly stated that they were not working on any more dungeon content and had no plans for any more dungeon content in the future. There was a thread about it in the dungeon forum a while back. If you ask in the dungeon forums, someone will be able to dig it up.

That is for sure. “Challenging group content” I’m not 100% sure about, but I think that refers to VW-type content.

VW-type content?

Also, I think the tread you were referring to is this one, in which case they said they wouldn’t be doing large scale reworks like TA, not that they wouldn’t be creating new dungeons:

Q: When will we get more dungeon, fractal, any kind of dungeon related changes? Like another question is hardmode for dungeons.

• Hardmode is something we’re staying away from at this point.
  • Thrown around ideas to increase longevity of dungeons without doing major reworks like Twilight Arbour.
  • Twilight Arbour was a pretty serious amount of work. Not necessarily something they want to commit to at this point (Aug 22, 2014).
  • Fractals are flexible; allow to add smaller chunks of content without the work required to redo a dungeon.

Source

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

On top of what you have already reviled, add one dungeon with a story path and three explorables. And you can gladly take XX amount of money. Why you abounded these in the first place is baffling. One of the cooler concepts in mmo’s these days imo. I know I will get flamed for the same old crap, dungeon crowd is elitist (misinformed), stacking and skipping sucks (only a few bosses is this still and issue). I pvp, I wvw, I do random world bosses, but I also like dungeons, sue me. Or better yet cater to me.

I also enjoy dungeons as a subset of what I do and any time we got a new one to play in (such as Aetherblade in LA) I had a lot of fun chewing glass learning it. I’m fine with the ones we have, though. The “challenging group content” could be something that fills the same niche in a new way, who knows? I’ve seen plenty of innovation from ANet in their take on other tried-and-true MMO staples.

One suggestion: You may want to change “reviled” to “revealed” in your first line. The words have substantially different meanings.

Entenkommando.5208

The problem ist that people don’t want to do things without a reward. But the game wants to prevent grinding. But without grinding and a reward the content isn’t attractive for players and has no reason to be replayed.
You can take fractals for example. I’m pretty sure that they are played much more than usual dungeons. Why? Not because they are always different (which they aren’t after 100 runs) but because you have to work for your ascended gear which is again some sort of grinding.

There is no concept to compete with this yet.
That’s the challenge for A-Net. They obviously couldn’t find a proper solution yet, but I really hope they will.

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

The lack of dungeons (and ridiculous pricing) is exactly why I won’t be getting HoT, probably not even when it goes on sale for half price.

Entenkommando.5208

The lack of dungeons (and ridiculous pricing) is exactly why I won’t be getting HoT, probably not even when it goes on sale for half price.

But what kind of content would you want?
Are you satisfied by just doing the same raid instance 4327986 times because the item you want has a drop chance of 0.0000001% ?
That’s not how it should be.
And I’m happy that it’s not how they do it.

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

You rang?

Betcha didn’t know I made house calls, too.

Here it is: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Very-disappointing-news-for-you-guys/

Edit, aww DaiBish beat me to it.

Goldberg.4831

I think the “dungeon” concept is old and overrated. Somehow old MMOs invented this concept of instanced content, and now every MMO needs to have this to cater to the needs of MMO fans or it won’t be successful. Why? All of the MMOs have this same feature, even the leveling up feature on RPGs is old and rusty. Every RPG I play there’s leveling up and a quantifiable leveling up system. It’s like seeing the same game all over again, over and over again.

Why can’t we have open world instanced content for groups of 10 players instead? This takes a lot more advantage of GW2’s system. Or a system that requires to players to do different tasks and be divided throughout the map to complete several types of events that lead to other big events.

Adding masteries was a brilliant move as opposed to raising the level cap, I hope GW2 continues to develop systems like this and distance themselves from “traditional MMOs” even further.

I sincerely hope they stop doing dungeons altogether and start focusing on open world content, which is one of this game’s strongest points.

Open world content has its place, but I don’t go to open world events looking for a challenge. 100+ zerg, and your just another number.

Goldberg.4831

On top of what you have already reviled, add one dungeon with a story path and three explorables. And you can gladly take XX amount of money. Why you abounded these in the first place is baffling. One of the cooler concepts in mmo’s these days imo. I know I will get flamed for the same old crap, dungeon crowd is elitist (misinformed), stacking and skipping sucks (only a few bosses is this still and issue). I pvp, I wvw, I do random world bosses, but I also like dungeons, sue me. Or better yet cater to me.

I also enjoy dungeons as a subset of what I do and any time we got a new one to play in (such as Aetherblade in LA) I had a lot of fun chewing glass learning it. I’m fine with the ones we have, though. The “challenging group content” could be something that fills the same niche in a new way, who knows? I’ve seen plenty of innovation from ANet in their take on other tried-and-true MMO staples.

One suggestion: You may want to change “reviled” to “revealed” in your first line. The words have substantially different meanings.

Thanks

Goldberg.4831

Are you satisfied by just doing the same raid instance 4327986 times because the item you want has a drop chance of 0.0000001% ?

Its not about gear, its about fun and challenge. Which makes GW2 dungeons stand out, I dont have to run them 4327986 times. I chose too.

Entenkommando.5208

Its not about gear, its about fun and challenge. Which makes GW2 dungeons stand out, I dont have to run them 4327986 times. I chose too.

Maybe it’s just me then. But from the people I know it is fun to repeat them, yes. But not as much fun as for example the dungeons in Guild Wars 1 I did over and over again.
You maybe do them each day for your free gold, but after ~30-40 runs they just become too repetitive.
And people were always complaining that dungeons in GW2 don’t serve as endgame content. So i bet people would again be upset because they already know that the dungeon isn’t something you can do for the next 3 years again.
The amount of time it takes to design and programm an entire dungeon just doesn’t stack up against the time you actually spend in it.

All we wanted was a GvG.

(edited by Entenkommando.5208)

Posted by: Dibaryon.7469

Dibaryon.7469

GoldBerg, I mentioned open world instanced content. It would like a “dungeon” but not in a dungeon! How cool is that ?

edit:

There is “zerg” content, and there’s organized content. We’ve already had a taste of it : Silverwastes’ VineWrath. This could be the next type of open world content we get, and I’m more than happy to get this and I prefer this to “dungeons”.

*GANDARA *
Flipping your camps since 2014 :3

Posted by: Burn.5401

Burn.5401

GW2 dungeons are challenging? Are you insane?

Entenkommando.5208

Allow me to compare GW2 dungeons to GW1 hardmode dungeons.

Guild Wars 1:
You have to have 8 players all working together taking different roles (a decent tank, healers etc). You need to know your class (especially healers) and customize your build specifically to the enemies you are awaiting there. (Many meele? Many casters? a lot of aoe or a lot of cc? Many conditions, many hexes or much direct damage?) You need decent bufffood to make it even near possible to do the dungeon. Then you go in slowly, pulling every single group so you don’t take too much damage. And even then you can easily wipe because of that one random nps who suddenly interrupted your healer, the tank getting a random knockdown, your cc beeing interrupted, a hex beeing on your tank you can’t remove within 2 seconds and that prevent him from casting…I think you get the point.

Guild Wars 2
-Form your group.
-Cast timewarp.
-Yell “LEEEEEEROOOOOY”
-Gather loot

All we wanted was a GvG.

Posted by: Omocha.4931

Omocha.4931

GW2 dungeons are challenging? Are you insane?

They are! Duo’ing whatever dungeons aren’t requiring full group or so is quite challenging. Of course, there’s absolutely no reward to justify spending any amount of time in there (like a very rare skin that you can’t get some place else). And once you sort out the optimal tactics for the fastest way through a dungeon, and the next, and… You’re done. No incentive to run it at all and not many that can be tackled without a full group. Full group kinda turns any dungeon into a /faceroll though.

In comparison, even when the market for rares in GW1 fell with the GW2, running Bogroot’s, Kathandrax, SoO, Fow, UW, DoA was still pleasant and gave that lil extra incentive. Even if no one cared that much about BDSes, DSRs or Obby Armors, they were still something to look for inside the dungeon. What about here?! 3 tokens/boss?!

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

What’s the difference between that and running around Silverwastes with a pack of spades?

What’s the difference between that and killing VW 4327986 times?

People don’t run instances in this game for a very rare item.