Look at Reddit about [GEM store]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

And you will see if you guys went to far with overloading GEM store or not.
I don’t know where this is leading, i have only one word to say:
#Shame

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s a shame that people think this gem store is so bad. Cause you know, it’s really not.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

It’s not great but I’ve seen far worse. Like stuff that’s time-restricted and poofs after so many days and similar systems to BL keys but with far worse returns. I’m not into collecting every skin though so maybe that’s why my thoughts are more just ‘meh’ about it.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

It could be much, much worse than what is going on right now. At least there’s an option to pay for gems with gold, some mmo devs don’t even allow that option.

Firelysm.4967

It’s a shame that people think this gem store is so bad. Cause you know, it’s really not.

It’s eating away the content, with huge chunks.
It is bad for the game, because it brings absolutely NO value to gaming experience.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

It is bad for the game, because it brings absolutely NO value to gaming experience.

Different people work on the gem store stuff. The people who make content, bug fix etc have nothing to do with what is made for the gem store. So I really don’t see how it is eating in to content.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t know. I wouldn’t say that funding the game adds no value to the gaming experience. lol

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It funds the game
Makes my characters look pretty and others too
Offers convenience items
Is vastly superior to some mmo online stores
Takes almost nothing away from the game development since it is a separate team

The main criticisms I have, is that we need more earnable skins in game and the balance is skewed. But since the teams on each have separate and dfferent workloads, i can understand that issue arising. I also find the pricing to be too high. As a retailer i can see that there are greater opportunities to be had from a better pricing system and removing rng from things like dye packs.

Is the gem store a problem? No, quite the opposite

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

Different people work on the gem store stuff. The people who make content, bug fix etc have nothing to do with what is made for the gem store. So I really don’t see how it is eating in to content.

In a sense it does, instead of releasing it in the Gem store, they could make it obtainable by just playing the game.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

It funds the game
Offers convenience items

The main criticisms I have, is that we need more earnable skins in game and the balance is skewed. But since the teams on each have separate and dfferent workloads, i can understand that issue arising. I also find the pricing to be too high. As a retailer i can see that there are greater opportunities to be had from a better pricing system and removing rng from things like dye packs.

I agree, but I hate how getting the skins are soooo dependent on the RNG gods with the black lion chests. It would just be great if there was a way to earn said skins in game or at least get tickets.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

In a sense it does, instead of releasing it in the Gem store, they could make it obtainable by just playing the game.

Thats not content, thats rewards.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Firelysm.4967

It could be much, much worse than what is going on right now. At least there’s an option to pay for gems with gold, some mmo devs don’t even allow that option.

I dont want to pay it with GEMS or GOLD, they deserve neither, i want to earn it in game.

Firelysm.4967

Same people work on gem store and game content, where do you think skins are made? It’s management who decides where they will be released.

EDIT: wrongly expressed, same designers work for content and gem store. That’s what ive meant.

Posted by: Numbers.3241

Numbers.3241

I would guess gem store purchases pay for gem store content and then some. Removing it would not give you gem store content for free, it would mean you wouldn’t get gem store content at all, and probably would miss out on some of the live content.

No subscription means that there’s no ongoing stream of income to fund the game except gem store. Working in the industry, $40 every 3 years is a lot less than it takes to pay for servers and development for a game like this.

I suspect the people who are buying from the gem store are paying for 9 months out of every 12 you play.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Would you rather pay a subscription instead and have all of those gem store items be available in game?

Posted by: MelGT.8326

MelGT.8326

The gem store as a whole is ok, I’d rather that than pay $XX a month for a sub fee. The thing about the gem store that is NOT ok is locking new weapon skins behind a literal gambling system.

I know you can buy Black Lion Keys for gold by the gold→gem exchange, but it doesn’t change the fact that you need to have luck to get one of the ten+ scraps to make a ticket to buy the skin. Just give us the option to drop 500 gems or whatever and buy an account bound skin already. Keep the sellable ones on the trader as it is now.

I’m not buying, and never have bought, a single Black Lion key for money on the gem store when most of the time you get an unidentified dye that’s usually a blue worth a couple of silver at best, a one time use instant bank access (or similar) and an almost useless booster. It’s gambling at getting something good, and I’m quite surprised it’s even allowed, as some countries have very strict rules about what is and isn’t gambling online, especially in a game that has a sizable younger audience.

Posted by: Manthas.6234

Manthas.6234

I love how people give the argument that there are separate teams working on separate things. It seems that the company has its hands tied because, you know, people are nailed to one or the other department.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I dont want to pay it with GEMS or GOLD, they deserve neither, i want to earn it in game.

If you don’t want to pay it with gems or gold, then where will the devs get money to make content? I suppose you’re willing to pay X amount per month for more content where you can earn it through playing said content? By the way, if you want to refer to GW1 for examples, be sure to keep in mind that the dev team from back then was much smaller (about 150 people if I remember correctly) compared to the current team of 300+ people.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah, what he said.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Manthas.6234

Manthas.6234

If you don’t want to pay it with gems or gold, then where will the devs get money to make content? I suppose you’re willing to pay X amount per month for more content where you can earn it through playing said content? By the way, if you want to refer to GW1 for examples, be sure to keep in mind that the dev team from back then was much smaller (about 150 people if I remember correctly) compared to the current team of 300+ people.

Haven’t they just released an expansion? Or is this company doing so bad these days, that they need to get more quick money?
I understand, cash shop is a vital source of income, but c’mon, it’s not even two months and cash shop is already full of new shinies.

Firelysm.4967

Rewards are content, GEM store is not. GEM store is something you purchase, I could argue that GEM store is mini DLC.. You purchase additional stuff. Wanze, i know you don’t complain about GEM store, because that’s how you play the game. TP game. Can’t judge you, but that’s a shame that only people like you have benefit of that..
POOR gaming experience

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Rewards are content, GEM store is not. GEM store is something you purchase, I could argue that GEM store is mini DLC.. You purchase additional stuff. Wanze, i know you don’t complain about GEM store, because that’s how you play the game. TP game. Can’t judge you, but that’s a shame that only people like you have benefit of that..
POOR gaming experience

Gem store is content if you consider rewards content. Because gold is a reward and you can turn that into gems. So you can earn gem store items from just playing the game.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

face…desk

OP if you think the gemstore is done entirely by the people that do ….oh say… the event programming, or the precursor crafting components, or bug fixes, or balance, then you’re completely out of touch. Sure there is overlap between developers across tasks in any environment, but not to the extent you’re claiming the game is impacted.

Additionally the claim that gem store vanity items add nothing to one’s gaming experience is entirely subjective. Some people very much enjoy that stuff, and have no issues either dropping real cash on gem, or exchanging in game gold for it. It’s entirely personal choice, and while you’re entirely in your right to not like it, it is not your right to tell others that they shouldn’t like it or shouldn’t have it.

Anet is a business. Businesses are in business to make money. That is the gem store’s entire function. As long as it remains (largely) cosmetic, it is doing no harm. It is not “eating away” at what we get content wise “in huge chunks.” Granted, we would all like to see additional weapon sets and new armor sets earnable via game play; however, having a gemstore doesn’t mean we won’t. Conversely, removing the gemstore doesn’t mean we will either, considering to remove that source of funding would make for a significant hit to Anet’s ability to function.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

GW2 is one of the cheapest that exist in this regard. I crafted my ascended gear, all without having to buy one gem. It took near 30 days, cuz i was crafting time gated items.

Even in some inflation-season i trade gold for gems and buy something.

The cycle between new stuff on gem store, give time to save some gold.

There is no reason to complain.

Oh and now I’m close to 5k AP. they give 400 free gems. i will save it for when black wings come back on gem store.

(edited by ugrakarma.9416)

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

If you don’t want to pay it with gems or gold, then where will the devs get money to make content?

Answer: From the purchase price.

GW2 was B2P and HoT is B2P. B2P = buy to play.

Ayrilana.1396

If you don’t want to pay it with gems or gold, then where will the devs get money to make content?

Then all games that charge a subscription (currently or in the past) are ripping players off as they could have been supported without them?

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Then all games that charge a subscription (currently or in the past) are ripping players off as they could have been supported without them?

You are funny. Subscription based games are not B2P.

If a game company/publisher chooses B2P, then usually all the income comes from the purchase price.

Letting customers pay for the game (like in a B2P game) and letting them pay again for some extra stuff thats behind a shop (like in a F2P game) is a sign that a game company has become greedy.

Posted by: Wiperas.7240

Wiperas.7240

So if I get it right some people here want Anet to shut their only source of income? Stupidity has reached new levels .

Ayrilana.1396

You are funny. Subscription based games are not B2P.

If a game company/publisher chooses B2P, then usually all the income comes from the purchase price.

Letting customers pay for the game (like in a B2P game) and letting them pay again for some extra stuff thats behind a shop (like in a F2P game) is a sign that a game company has become greedy.

Actually, they are and more. You have to buy the game like you would GW2. You have to buy the expansions like you did for HoT. The only difference is that you’re required to pay a subscription to even play these otherwise you would not have access. GW2 doesn’t require this as it is optional, and by player choice, to make purchases through the gem store.

I was also taking the post you quoted into consideration when I responded to you if that provides further context to what I was getting at.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Go see Warframe’s store if you want to see bad. The prices are outrageous and you can buy almost anything you can get ingame there. Meaning the ultimate stuff that takes a while to grind? You can buy it. The worst part is that you oftentimes WILL buy stuff from that store just to carry more items, power up your stuff, etc.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Randulf.7614

What’s the Reddit ref btw?

Posted by: Lhos.1643

Lhos.1643

It funds the game

I like how for $50 we got fewer armor sets than there have been new outfits in the gem store since HoT’s release.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It funds the game

I like how for $50 we got fewer armor sets than there have been new outfits in the gem store since HoT’s release.

We’re all a bit sore about that, I think. It’s sort of beside the point though.

Randulf.7614

It funds the game

I don’t disagree at all the number of expac skins was low. However without the gem store, there is nothing to suggest we would have any more in game as rewards – they just wouldn’t pump anything out via the gem store, leaving less overall.

Do we need/want more in game skins as rewards? Yes – although the in game variety is more than most MMO’s I have played

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

But then how would they make any money so you can play for free?

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

I won’t say its bad. GW1 had a gemstore too that I liked buying from for a few skins/outfits. It’s just that each gw1 expansion had a ton of new skins/items in game and gw2 expansion has barely any besides gemstore items.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

It funds the game

Well it isnt. Not for me. Gem store is a nice thing, always supported it, even after they brought the cancer growth that most call outfits to the game….. BUT till i got the minimal amount of armor skins i expected ( 1 per map meta of HoT, 1 FULL set per elite spec\profession and legendary armor and this is a rather reasonable thing to expect for a 50 bucks price tag that pays AAA games with much more content then HoT got and after one darn year of starving the game from skins) I will keep boycotting the store and complaining to my hearts content, just try to stop me. Before i shut up about that they gotta ban me…or i gonna loose my love for gw and just fade away..- whatever comes first

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Players not knowing the difference between these is the biggest source of complaints in this game.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Probably not for long, unless people were prepared to pay at least a smallish sub.

I would have preferred that, personally.

However, at this point, I would feel very double-dipped on if they just added one, without taking into account what people had already paid…

But, in general, sub game = better game, as they obviously then don’t have to be so tight with ingame stuff/gold.

I would guess gem store purchases pay for gem store content and then some. Removing it would not give you gem store content for free, it would mean you wouldn’t get gem store content at all, and probably would miss out on some of the live content.

No subscription means that there’s no ongoing stream of income to fund the game except gem store. Working in the industry, $40 every 3 years is a lot less than it takes to pay for servers and development for a game like this.

I suspect the people who are buying from the gem store are paying for 9 months out of every 12 you play.

Yep.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

It funds the game
Offers convenience items

Twice the armors the expansion contained have already been released in the store. This game used to BTP and the gem store took over their focus leading to MY game that I paid for being given away. The game is no longer Buy To Play it’s a Freemium MMO and that isn’t good. So yes the store hurt the game. They will give the expansion away to get new people buying gems it’s all they care about.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: bluepaws.9841

bluepaws.9841

lol @ all those cash shop defenders, use common sense people won’t complain about cash shop items if developers add equal amount of items in game.

People love to obtain items thru quests, achievements, fractals/dungeons not like: oh nice skin gotta do silverwastesx50 again yay.

Game is definitely changed direction a bit and many players feel that. But it is kind of industry trend now. NCsoftwest went into mobile games and Blizzard abandoned WoW for their mobile games as well.

Expansion $50 price it is like a paid chair where you can sit and watch their cash shop adverts

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

b-but it funds the game!
So where are those money going? Because I would surely expect more from HoT than 4 armor skins.

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

OK i had to log in while at work because i HAD to reply to this.
Cash shop, when it’s not p2w (and in GW2 is not, since is only skins/conveniences) has nothing wrong: you can support your devs and we also have the $ to Gems to Gold conversion that effectively had SHUT DOWN gold sellers in game. You know what’s baed about gold selling? It crashes the economy. In GW2 instead we sorta have a stable and checked economy, a luxury in many other games.

Now onto skins in HoT vs GemStore.
I’ll not count races or genders as multiplier since even outfits are different per race/sex, but still the skin differs and that is even more work/variety.
What armors we got in HoT?

Revenant (1heavy), Bladed (3 weights), Ley Line (3w), Guild “light/black” (3w*2 dunno how to get those) = 13 different sets (not counting race/sex)
Coming soon Legendary armors that will be, as current precursors, (3 tiers+1final)*3 weights = 12 more sets (not couting race/sex)

All of this in a xpac forever labeled as low on content, high on game features (which is true) so if Anet doesn’t bail you can expact even more in next expansions.
Also usually LS (that should be coming soon too) will almost surely bring another set.

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

It isn’t bad.
The problem with it is that the game have so many bug that people are frustrated when they see stuff added toward the gemshop while many other things are broken.

Granted: the team in charge of the Gem stuff & the other content are probably not linked but this gave a sense of wrong priority/focus from Anet.

Firelysm.4967

So if I get it right some people here want Anet to shut their only source of income? Stupidity has reached new levels .

Some people think the 50€-120€ expansions and core game doesn’t count towards anything. The sad part is Anet made 10x bigger content in GW1, no subscription either, and no GEM store. Are you shocked?

It’s not our problem, if you came from a game that was ripping you for years, and now you think that tons of things are acceptable.

It’s absurd to see company change like that. WHile they don’t even deliver 50% of what they’ve promised.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

b-but it funds the game!
So where are those money going? Because I would surely expect more from HoT than 4 armor skins.

Seems it does not fund the game…well not like i thought it would. Another reason not to support the gemstore till i get that “oh thats a nice thing” feel again… like i had back then where they where still making armor skins (even if they came through the gemstore what was for me personally totally fine cause i could atleast look forward to something in the gem store once in a while) and cared about mix and match.. unique looks for players and stuff ya know.

These days you can be happy if they throw you a stripped bone… in a 50 bucks expansion.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

You paid for an expansion and got new maps, new elite specs, new weapons and armour, a new game mode for PvP, a new borderlands, guild hall stuff, etc, etc, etc.. You paid for content and in my opinion the content given was worth the price tag.

Now they add more stuff in the gem store, because you know, its a business and they need to make money to: pay wages, pay for equipment and server upkeep, pay for building and general business running costs, pay for marketing costs, pay for future development costs, and err… oh yeah, make a profit. None of the items added to the gem store give you an advantage and therefore none of the gem store items are required. They are cosmetic or QoL improvements, nothing more.

People are complaining because they cannot get the nice shiny thing in game, but Anet has given you the option to buy it with in game gold (something not many MMOs do). There are in game rewards for doing stuff in game, but they need to keep a revenue stream going so add more skins via the store. This is nothing new and Anet are not adding anything that is game breaking, unlike some games I know.

All it boils down to is you can’t get it for free, or for little effort, so you complain about it. And for those who want to earn it, there is nothing stopping you from doing that. You can do whatever you want to get the gold to convert to gems. You DO have the option to get the gem store items for free.

The BL chest gambling is not something I agree with, as I do not think it right to put real money gambling in any game (I guess because you can buy keys with in game gold they feel they can get away with it, but I still think it is not morally right to encourage it) and I was not happy about the sniper bundle not giving you the choice to buy the items seperately, but in general the gem store is ok in my opinion.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

While I do agree that the gem store things are necessary for their business model to be successful I also have a problem with the fact that very few new armor skins are being released into the game while there seems to be enough manpower available at Anet to power the gem store skins at a constant rate.

HoT launched with an embarrassingly low number of armor sets for an expansion that came 3 years after the original game’s release.
Seriously – why aren’t we getting more armor skins?

Even if we got them in the gem store I’d be alright with it but it seems all we get now are outfits.

Some Mastery rewards are abysmally bad – (Exalted Mastery) and yet there’s an Exalted Glider skin on the gem store – that could have easily been added as a reward for the final tier of the Exalted Mastery.

All in all I’m pretty annoyed with the distribution of resources.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

The gem store now only seems to get outfits, while the game gets armour sets. Outfits are faster to produce and therefore are a more logical choice to use as ‘items that can generate money’. Whether players here like it or not, Anet will want to ensure there are no major clipping issues between armour pieces. Armour sets need to fit, as much as Anet feels is acceptable, with every other existing armour set, or at the very least they need to fit with the various groups of armour sets that share similar shapes and styles. So armour sets will always take longer to produce than outfits, which only have to worry about fitting with itself and each race, so it makes sense that the gem store gets skins more frequently than the game gets armour sets.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It funds the game

Well it isnt. Not for me. Gem store is a nice thing, always supported it, even after they brought the cancer growth that most call outfits to the game….. BUT till i got the minimal amount of armor skins i expected ( 1 per map meta of HoT, 1 FULL set per elite spec\profession and legendary armor and this is a rather reasonable thing to expect for a 50 bucks price tag that pays AAA games with much more content then HoT got and after one darn year of starving the game from skins) I will keep boycotting the store and complaining to my hearts content, just try to stop me. Before i shut up about that they gotta ban me…or i gonna loose my love for gw and just fade away..- whatever comes first

We asked for outfits. We got what we asked for. We asked that they stop putting armor in the gemstore, and make armor in-game rewards only. They granted that wish. The gemstore still needs to add items that people desire. Outfits fill that need. You don’t like them, don’t buy them. That’s perfectly fine.

Yes, we all felt that HoT should have come with more armor sets. We know that it takes more effort to design and implement armor (as opposed to an outfit), so let’s hope that we’ll see more added when the LS spins back up. still crossing her fingers