Look at Reddit about [GEM store]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

new weapons and armour

Very little.

Where are the new whites, greens and/or blues?

I often tend to prefer the simpler, plainer stuff, when it comes to armour and there’s pretty much nothing new, of that kind, in HoT.

As a Ranger, I’m still stuck in Sneakthief, or my gemstore skins/outfits.

As a Mes, I’m stuck in my gemstore skins.

I have, pretty heavily, supported the gemstore and the real money-to-gold (via gems) market, in the around 11 months since I started playing.

But I do feel hard done by, when it comes to plain, simple, ingame armour choices.

a new borderlands

Gorgeous map, but unfortunately pretty much empty.

Hard to even find a tag there, most of the time.

guild hall stuff

That was like paying for my own, in-game, destruction.

My little bank guild was totally stomped on and made totally irrelevant and the other (bigger) guild I’m in was forced to, constantly, ask people to donate mats.

Nothing against them doing that (they were just doing what the game now makes them do), but why would I want to donate mats to a system that caused my own little guild’s progress to be utterly destroyed?

Answer: I wouldn’t.

Also, they seem to have reduced the amount of gold you can make, ingame; either directly, or via things they have done to reduce the market value of certain things you receive.

So, accruing gold ingame is definitely, noticeably, slower.

I agree with you that they need to make money somehow.

As I say, I would have preferred a sub, but whatever.

I also agree that, if you manage to make gold ingame, you can then spend that in the gemstore, or on the TP, for your rewards and that is (at least somewhat) OK, in theory, as it amounts to the same thing, in the end…

However, I just think you catch more flies with honey, than you do vinegar.

…and providing no new basic skins in-game (or even any new skins, as opposed to outfits, in the gemstore!) and stomping on small guilds, just reeks of vinegar, to me.

We asked for outfits. We got what we asked for. We asked that they stop putting armor in the gemstore, and make armor in-game rewards only. They granted that wish.

Who’s “we”?

The few people who bother to post regularly on these forums, or on reddit?

I didn’t ask for that and I certainly didn’t ask for hideously encrusted, or WoW-style over-the-top, vomit-inducing, “finery” to be the only new armour choices provided.

I like outfits, for levelling and for when I don’t have any transmutation charges left.

But, I also like mixing and matching simple armour pieces and any new opportunities to do that, successfully, have been totally curtailed, in HoT.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Which hairstyles are better? The ones that came with HoT as part of the premium-priced x-pac or these new gem shop ones?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

We asked for outfits. We got what we asked for. We asked that they stop putting armor in the gemstore, and make armor in-game rewards only. They granted that wish.

Who’s “we”?

I didn’t ask for that and I certainly didn’t ask for hideously encrusted, or WoW-style over-the-top, vomit-inducing, “finery” to be the only new armour choices provided.

I like outfits, for levelling and for when I don’t have any transmutation charges left.

But, I also like mixing and matching simple armour pieces and any new opportunities to do that, successfully, have been totally curtailed, in HoT.

It was a general “we.” No, you might not have been among those that specifically asked for it, but many others did. I don’t hang out on reddit, so I can speak for that community; however, it was something people on here and in game seemed favorable to originally. It was one of the fer suggestions on how to deal with town clothes, given than so many people wanted town clothes wearable in combat.

I don’t particularly care for the new armors either, nor for the WoW style oversized shoulders and such. Some of their design choices do tend to give me pause these days.

I like to mix and match too. More armors are something I have been an advocate for, for a very, very long time. Feel free to check my post history to verify.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Tigaseye.2047

Which hairstyles are better? The ones that came with HoT as part of the premium-priced x-pac or these new gem shop ones?

No new hairstyles came with HoT, specifically, as far as I’m aware.

They were all part of the base game, or “exclusive” ones, only available via hair/total makeover kits.

As far as which were better – these latest gemstore ones are, generally, not their best work, as far as I am concerned.

Most people, on here, have been asking for long, natural, loose styles.

Mostly wavy, or loosely curly.

But what we seem to have got (for human and Norn females, at least) are more plaits/braids, purely trend-driven styles and updos.

Human ponytail is quite nice, in theory, except it looks kind of fake, skinny and off-colour.

More like an inexpensive, ponytail extension, than a real ponytail.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

They were all part of the base game, or “exclusive” ones, only available via hair/total makeover kits.

As far as which were better – these latest gemstore ones are, generally, not their best work, as far as I am concerned.

But what we seem to have got (for human and Norn females, at least) are more plaits/braids, purely trend-driven styles and updos.

Human ponytail is quite nice, in theory, except it looks kind of fake, skinny and off-colour.

My comment was more a dig at AreanNet for not including new hairstyles with their “premium priced expansion”. They really should have. Zero new faces or hairstyles. Very few earnable armor sets or weapons or backpieces or gliders. They could have thrown in 50 new dyes as well that only drop as unid-d dyes in HoT and so much more.

My point with my comment is that they really skimped on the padding with the expansion, but not on the price point.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Tigaseye.2047

My comment was more a dig at AreanNet for not including new hairstyles with their “premium priced expansion”. They really should have. Zero new faces or hairstyles. Very few earnable armor sets or weapons or backpieces or gliders. They could have thrown in 50 new dyes as well that only drop as unid-d dyes in HoT and so much more.

My point with my comment is that they really skimped on the padding with the expansion, but not on the price point.

Oh, I see.

Well, you may have a point there.

I didn’t really expect hairstyles with the xpac, TBH, as I feel the gemstore is more in lieu of a subscription and new hairstyles, to me, are a fairly luxury item.

So, I would expect a game, without a sub, to then try to charge for any extra ones.

Maybe if the game had been out for longer, I would expect some new ones to be added for “free” (or included in an xpac price), just because it would be ridiculous to expect people to use the same ones for over, say, 5 years.

Same probably goes for face types, IMO.

But basic gear, to me, is just something I would expect to be provided in-game, in pretty much any game and a new xpac should automatically equal new, basic, gear drops.

…and by “basic”, I just mean relatively clean-cut and simple; not made, intentionally, ugly in an attempt to make you reach for your credit card, yet again.

It’s not even as though transmution charges are free, over and above the 3 free ones per month; unless you do a lot of pvp, or map completion.

So, at least give people something to transmute with.

I agree about the dyes, as well.

To me, the dyes are some of the biggest rip-offs in the game.

You’re paying for a single colour and not even a colour you can make darker, or lighter; just one, single, tint/shade of a certain hue.

Then the different armour pieces and/or channels show all these colours differently – normally, lighter, or darker…

…and you can’t even lighten, or darken, the way the colour shows on different armour pieces/channels, yourself, to make it match.

You have to try to find another, darker or lighter, dye and just hope that the base hue and tone is sufficiently similar that it looks OK…

Far from ideal.

I wish they would just make more armour (even if they charge for some of it), rather than charging us for dyes/colours.

Or at least make those colours slightly more customisable.

Who’s “we”?

It was a general “we.” No, you might not have been among those that specifically asked for it, but many others did. I don’t hang out on reddit, so I can speak for that community; however, it was something people on here and in game seemed favorable to originally. It was one of the fer suggestions on how to deal with town clothes, given than so many people wanted town clothes wearable in combat.

I don’t particularly care for the new armors either, nor for the WoW style oversized shoulders and such. Some of their design choices do tend to give me pause these days.

I like to mix and match too. More armors are something I have been an advocate for, for a very, very long time. Feel free to check my post history to verify.

Oh, OK.

Well, I think that would have been OK, if they had also added some new, basic armour, ingame.

As, I would imagine, people probably expected they would do, when they asked for that…

They probably thought that would be a given and so, felt free to just talk about where things should be placed.

Little did they know, that by asking for the armour skins to appear solely ingame, they were only going to be given that very ugly and/or over-the-top stuff and no new basics.

People can’t be blamed for what they ask for, when they’re not in possession of all the facts and possible implications of their requests.

So, ultimately, Anet are the ones responsible, as they made the final decision and then chose to implement it in the specific way they did.

Not to mention that, as the makers of the game, they are ultimately responsible for anything they choose to do, anyway.

However many people may have asked, specifically, for it, or not.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

It funds the game

I like how for $50 we got fewer armor sets than there have been new outfits in the gem store since HoT’s release.

We’re all a bit sore about that, I think. It’s sort of beside the point though.

Well it isnt. Not for me. Gem store is a nice thing, always supported it, even after they brought the cancer growth that most call outfits to the game….. BUT till i got the minimal amount of armor skins i expected ( 1 per map meta of HoT, 1 FULL set per elite spec\profession and legendary armor and this is a rather reasonable thing to expect for a 50 bucks price tag that pays AAA games with much more content then HoT got and after one darn year of starving the game from skins) I will keep boycotting the store and complaining to my hearts content, just try to stop me. Before i shut up about that they gotta ban me…or i gonna loose my love for gw and just fade away..- whatever comes first

We asked for outfits. We got what we asked for. We asked that they stop putting armor in the gemstore, and make armor in-game rewards only. They granted that wish. The gemstore still needs to add items that people desire. Outfits fill that need. You don’t like them, don’t buy them. That’s perfectly fine.

Yes, we all felt that HoT should have come with more armor sets. We know that it takes more effort to design and implement armor (as opposed to an outfit), so let’s hope that we’ll see more added when the LS spins back up. still crossing her fingers

oh did we now? I cant recall myself asking for that stupid BS like ever in the time i play the game (3rd year now). I asked to have something more like profession armor..like gw1 did just freely available for all classes that share the same weight class like we got right now, ya know.. i personally like to dress my chars with armors that lean towards some iconic profession look, i didnt ask to have em added in game for free. I wanted a good share on the gemstore actually to have a reason to buy gems and support the game and pimp my char visuals out, switching parts of my armors and creating new and amazing looks…unlike what outfits do. And dont come me with the usual “colours can change so much” deal. Yea? So? What happens if i dont like a helmet of an outfit and wear my glasses or eyepatch with it? I maybe dont like the shoulders either and maybe i want brown leather pants and a leaf green top…tell me how id do that with 4 colour slots for a whole fit.

I also asked for making town clothes useable in battle. What did i get? Tonics.. effin tonics and i happened to LOVE town clothes. Im serios, i loved town clothes and i owned most of what was once town clothes… till they destroyed em and made em useless.

Also i asked to compensate the extreme lack of armor skins added since the wardrobe patch in the 50 bucks expansion. What did i get? Effin 3 sets.. and a 4th for heavy only…and a handfull of profession themed skins that are fantastic.. though.. where is the rest of these sets?

Also effort? Yea.. do tell me how hard it gotta be, if they can push out such a massive amount of outfits since the x-pac hit they surely could have taken some extra effort to make some sets for HoT. With the mistward they showed they dont care to make the same design for every weight class anyways.. cause where would be the light and medium mistward.

Also they said they make with outfits what they cant do with the armor weight classes… yea.. look at them and tell me that 90% of them are not clearly fitting within a weight class. I give you the wedding attire, lich and noble count… the rest could clearly be armor sets.

Also.. nice generic “if dun lik it dun buy it lel” comment, wouldnt be a topic that mentons outfits without it.

Also yes im as salty as the dead sea…im fully aware of that.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Oh, OK.

Well, I think that would have been OK, if they had also added some new, basic armour, ingame.

As, I would imagine, people probably expected they would do, when they asked for that…

They probably thought that would be a given and so, felt free to just talk about where things should be placed.

Little did they know, that by asking for the armour skins to appear solely ingame, they were only going to be given that very ugly and/or over-the-top stuff and no new basics.

People can’t be blamed for what they ask for, when they’re not in possession of all the facts and possible implications of their requests.

So, ultimately, Anet are the ones responsible, as they made the final decision and then chose to implement it in the specific way they did.

Not to mention that, as the makers of the game, they are ultimately responsible for anything they choose to do, anyway.

I dunno about other people, but I never expected new whites, blues, or greens. I figured new armor skins would likely be rares (like Lumi). I just sort of figured we’d get more than 3 of them. =/ Then again…we only got 3 legendaries with HoT launch too, so maybe not..

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Oh, OK.

I dunno about other people, but I never expected new whites, blues, or greens. I figured new armor skins would likely be rares (like Lumi). I just sort of figured we’d get more than 3 of them. =/ Then again…we only got 3 legendaries with HoT launch too, so maybe not..

at the legendaries i sorta get the deal though. The pre-collections are detailed and they gotta think of ways to make em fit their world. Armors though… they set up metas per map and at the brink they added the bladed set into the meta, how hard could it be to add a few more sets that way? Also mistward armor.. a profession themed set, it got a collection thats tied to leveling the profession. How about one set for each class that way? Like.. unlocking the entire alchemy traitline on the engineer gives you a collection where you collect and consume some potions from HoT and unlock a nice set of gloves with vials on them or taming all the beasts that HoT added on a ranger gives you some awesome looking chestpiece that fits your new druid shoulders. But nope..

Tigaseye.2047

Oh, OK.

Well, I think it would be fair to expect them, as they were originally included in the base game and the word “expansion”, in this context, implies the addition of more of the same kind of things…

I think, pretty much anyone, who originally came from a game, like WoW, would expect something like new basic armour to be provided as part of a new xpac, too.

I know WoW has a sub, but there is nothing stopping someone from playing for a month, or less and still collecting all of the greens/blues, in that time, for only the additional cost of one month’s sub.

So, I really don’t think adding some new basic armour into a game, that some people paid $100 for (not to mention any extra gemstore purchases they made), would have been too much to ask.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

oh did we now? I cant recall myself asking for that stupid BS like ever in the time i play the game (3rd year now). I asked to have something more like profession armor..like gw1 did just freely available for all classes that share the same weight class like we got right now, ya know.. i personally like to dress my chars with armors that lean towards some iconic profession look, i didnt ask to have em added in game for free. I wanted a good share on the gemstore actually to have a reason to buy gems and support the game and pimp my char visuals out, switching parts of my armors and creating new and amazing looks…unlike what outfits do. And dont come me with the usual “colours can change so much” deal. Yea? So? What happens if i dont like a helmet of an outfit and wear my glasses or eyepatch with it? I maybe dont like the shoulders either and maybe i want brown leather pants and a leaf green top…tell me how id do that with 4 colour slots for a whole fit.

I also asked for making town clothes useable in battle. What did i get? Tonics.. effin tonics and i happened to LOVE town clothes. Im serios, i loved town clothes and i owned most of what was once town clothes… till they destroyed em and made em useless.

Also i asked to compensate the extreme lack of armor skins added since the wardrobe patch in the 50 bucks expansion. What did i get? Effin 3 sets.. and a 4th for heavy only…and a handfull of profession themed skins that are fantastic.. though.. where is the rest of these sets?

Also effort? Yea.. do tell me how hard it gotta be, if they can push out such a massive amount of outfits since the x-pac hit they surely could have taken some extra effort to make some sets for HoT. With the mistward they showed they dont care to make the same design for every weight class anyways.. cause where would be the light and medium mistward.

Also they said they make with outfits what they cant do with the armor weight classes… yea.. look at them and tell me that 90% of them are not clearly fitting within a weight class. I give you the wedding attire, lich and noble count… the rest could clearly be armor sets.

Also.. nice generic “if dun lik it dun buy it lel” comment, wouldnt be a topic that mentons outfits without it.

Also yes im as salty as the dead sea…im fully aware of that.

As I told Tiger, general “we.” You many have not made the costume suggestion specifically, but several of us did. In fact I was one of the people that suggested it might be an alternative, after they explained to use that town clothes functioned as a 4th mesh (so to speak) and couldn’t just be mapped over to armor weights. It wasn’t perfect, but maybe it was an option. Obviously, it was something they could do.

Yes, I can see you’re salty. I didn’t particularly like the whole tonic debacle either. But what could they really do? Did you expect them to create (and freely give) everyone an outfit for every permutation of town clothes they owned?

As I’ve said in other topics, yes many of the outfits could likely be mapped to one (maybe 2) of the existing armor weights. Thus allowing those weights more mix and match variety; however, that would probably end up being a bigger point of contention for people than the outfits themselves currently are. Considering a good number of them are seemingly light armor inspired. I have seen a number of heavy armor wearers donning the noble dress, the exemplar dress, the wedding dress. Things that Anet has implied couldnt be mapped to that weight tier. So you’re basically saying its ok to tell those players to go kitten themselves?

As for effort, they used to push out town clothes left, right, and center too. Do we not recall the assorted threads kittening about that? Its the same kitten thing.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Oh, OK.

Well, I think it would be fair to expect them, as they were originally included in the base game and the word “expansion”, in this context, implies the addition of more of the same kind of things…

I think, pretty much anyone, who originally came from a game, like WoW, would expect something like basic armour to be provided as part of a new xpac, too.

I know WoW has a sub, but there is nothing stopping someone from playing for a month, or less and still collecting all of the greens/blues, in that time, for only the additional cost of one month’s sub.

So, I really don’t think adding some new basic armour into a game, that some people paid $100 for (not to mention any extra gemstore purchases they made), would have been too much to ask.

I don’t come from WoW. I come from GW1. shrug GW2 doen’t work quite the same way as either of them, so it’s hard to really compare and contrast in any meaningful way. (Granted, we still do it)

And yeah, I’m one of those that spent $100+

Tigaseye.2047

Oh, OK.

I think, pretty much anyone, who originally came from a game, like WoW, would expect something like basic armour to be provided as part of a new xpac, too.

I don’t come from WoW. I come from GW1. shrug GW2 doen’t work quite the same way as either of them, so it’s hard to really compare and contrast in any meaningful way. (Granted, we still do it)

Yeah, I was just trying to give an idea of, what I feel is, the typical person’s expectations.

Quite a few people have come from WoW and I think even the reasonable ones would, almost certainly, be fairly disappointed with the (lack of) gear drops in HoT.

Even taking into account the lack of sub, here.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Oh, OK.

Yeah, I was just trying to give an idea of, what I feel is, the typical person’s expectations.

Quite a few people have come from WoW and I think even the reasonable ones would, almost certainly, be fairly disappointed with the (lack of) gear drops in HoT.

They just need to add a few more sets to the game. And maybe take a couple of the weapon sets from the BLTC and stick them in game as earnable rewards. Be it from achievements, collections, drops, et all.

Maybe a couple of earnable glider skins too.

Tigaseye.2047

Oh, OK.

They just need to add a few more sets to the game. And maybe take a couple of the weapon sets from the BLTC and stick them in game as earnable rewards. Be it from achievements, collections, drops, et all.

Maybe a couple of earnable glider skins too.

Yes, I agree.