Looking at HoT, have some questions!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kunshu.5281

Kunshu.5281

So! I looked at videos of the raids, and they look interesting, and ANet says they want to focus more on Fractals (which I loved when I quit — they were still new-ish), so I’m thinking HoT may be able to fill that MMO void I’ve had since WoW went and killed itself with WoD.

Anyway, my questions:

First, are the raids fun? They look interesting, but are they actually challenging at all? Do they have a tank, healer and DPS, or is it just more “dodge things and win” like the game was when I left? — ‘cause that wasn’t all that fun.

Second, would it be worth it to use my account from launch GW2, like, are there any benefits or anything? I bought the game way back when, but I always hated the name I made (made it for all the wrong reasons), so is there any reason to hold onto my old account, or would making a new one be the better option? How long does it take to get to 80 now?

Posted by: sydney.4901

sydney.4901

1. “Are the Raids Fun” Sort of, The first problem is getting geared for it. there are a lot of elitist’s who do the raids and unless you have the best stuff they usually won’t let you join a group. Which leads to the issue of getting a group in general the “LFG” raids is pretty broken right now, a lot of people can never find others willing to do especially if you are new to it. You can avoid some of this by joining a Raid guild if you can find one. The Raid itself is pretty underwhelming in my opinion. there are some elements that make it fun but compared to any other MMO’s the Raid is Still in the Alpha stage.

#2nd There is no reason not to use your account that you used during launch. It might just be cheaper to spend the gems on a name changer rather than re-buying the whole game. Getting to 80 depends on you. Some people do it in a matter of day’s and for others it takes weeks. through various rewards you can get ’Tomes of knowledge" which allow you to level you up one full level. these can stack and you can play your main while saving these and then just using them all on one guy getting him instantly to level 80.

as far as fractals I don’t really know. I never play them. A few day’s ago there was a AMA on Reddit and it was mentioned that fractals were getting re-worked and more content was going to be added. of course this is A Net so it could be a great update or a complete failure there is really no in between.

HoT in general added the Elite specs which through any kind of balance out the window so you end up seeing the same specific classes used over and over. If you play any of the PvP or WvW you will be kittened.

Anyhow hope some of this helps, have a good one.

Kunshu.5281

Well, I always just puged raids in WoW and whatnot, so I’m used to dealing with people who think they’re all that. :P Plus, I’m usually pretty good at making groups. Always kind of been a solo player; most guilds can’t stand me for very long. xD

What do you mean underwhelming? As long as it’s not just tank and spank, I should have fun with it.

As for the name, I mean my whole account name, Kunshu. I made it because I was dating a Japanese girl who kind of bullied me into it, and I never really liked the name. Is there any kind of benefit from having a really old GW2 account from launch week? If not, I might just make a new account when I buy HoT.

As long as they keep the Fractals somewhat challenging, I’ll be fine though. I just like them for their unique mechanics and unforgiving style. :P They’re fun!

Eh, I didn’t do PvP all that much, though I’d like to get into WvW now that I have a better computer than when I last played GW2. xD

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

If your characters don’t interest you anymore, there’s birthday presents and perhaps some discontinued items/achievements to keep you on your old account. Can’t think of anything else.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

do remember that there aren’t multiple raids. What GW2 currently has is 2/3rds of a raid.

Kunshu.5281

Eh, achievement hunting was never a big deal for me, but if there’s a really pretty costume or something, that might be something to keep.

Really the big factor is leveling through everything again. >.>

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Your global name doesn’t affect your characters names, roll a new character and level through everything again, gaining any bonuses your old account has, saving you money from buying a new account.

As for raids, they’re terrible. If you try them and hate them then I told you so.
If you try them and love them then you can tell me so.

Either way if you have an account and have watched videos.. why not just go raid?

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

There’s really no money saving involved. If he hasn’t bought HoT yet he can’t raid, and if he buys it, adding it to the old account or creating a fresh one makes no difference money wise.

If nothing on the old account has any value to you, making a new one will actually be more lucrative in-game, because the new account can profit from login rewards on the old account. You’d need to regularly log on to that account too, of course.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)