MMORPG.com's 2015 Best DLC/Expansion (MMO)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

SWToR is IMO better then HoT, it has a really good story, is more centric about that one thing, you are more in between then ether one of the sides and it’s, above all, fun to play trough.
HoT is nothing more then a new area made for hardcore whiners who just want to zerg through it but always complained things are to difficult, even the story is so boring it makes lego batman look like an awesome game……which isn’t really so great….

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

mmorpg.com

Heart of Thorns, the first expansion to Guild Wars 2, divided players with its many changes. But one thing’s for sure, it’s one of the most complete expansions to an MMORPG in years.

Every facet of the game was touched, polished, tweaked, or overhauled. More shockingly, most of the changes were for the better!

ArenaNet says that Heart of Thorns is all about laying the groundwork for what’s to become of their MMO sequel.

Wait what?

Someones been smoking too much of something something, or they’re counting a little something something between their fingers right now. Cause they certainly didn’t play every facet that was squeezed(economy), sandpapered(spvp), twerked(guilds), or mutilated(wvw), most of the changes were for the worse!

PS. the FFXIV expansion was cheaper in price.

Yeah those comments are just completely untrue , they are actually more true of swtor’s xpac than HOT.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And yet it lost to ESO for best MMO. How unfortunate :/
That being said HoT really is lacking content and a lot of stuff like the story or the fact that we got very few new skins ingame make it seem rushed. Still liking the game but as far as expansions are concerned Heavensward should have won by a country mile.

Nope, Heaven sword release(3.0) has no where near as much content as HoT, It has 3 maps(including a city), a few skills for each class no where near specs of hot of course and end game is still the same token grind.

It did however come with 3 new jobs/classes and a new race. Features, at this point, 10 new dungeons and 3 raids. Seems like more content than HoT to me.

Nevermind all the new armours, weapons, mini-games, activities, mounts, quests, etc. HS has waaay, way more content than HoT (and vanilla FFXIV has far more content than vanilla GW2) and it’s not a fair comparison seeing as it’s a subscription game. Back when I played it there were tonnes of content updates that added raids, gear, quests, classes, jobs, etc. etc.

Wasn’t this the game that had to close down for a couple of years because it launched so badly they had to press the redo button on it? Yeah that’s what I thought.

HoT has changed many of the systems in the game. In a way, it’s the redo button that FF XIV did, before they started doing good things. Anet has told us that HoT is more of the roadmap forward than just an expansion. That was my understanding of it. Masteries, specializations, elite specializations, even the change to dungeons and fractals are all in preparation for what comes next.

So yeah, if you’re going to talk FF XIV, their first big “expansion” was actually a complete rewrite of a game with an abysmal launch.

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

That being said HoT really is lacking content and a lot of stuff like the story or the fact that we got very few new skins ingame make it seem rushed. Still liking the game but as far as expansions are concerned Heavensward should have won by a country mile.

Nope, Heaven sword release(3.0) has no where near as much content as HoT, It has 3 maps(including a city), a few skills for each class no where near specs of hot of course and end game is still the same token grind.

What 3 maps? It’s 6 new maps, 1 new big city and 1 small new city. Not sure how you get to 3 maps.

If we are going down this route HoT also have 2 Guild Halls. Advantures, Mastery system, raid wing, pvp league, Stronghold , 4-5hours of voice acted story campian, dozen of collection and achivement. Better than FF14 rat race gear grind if you ask me.

“A 4-5 voice acted story campaing” which is not that good. Even though not everything is voice acted in FFXIV:HW the story AND presentation was so much better.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Wasn’t this the game that had to close down for a couple of years because it launched so badly they had to press the redo button on it? Yeah that’s what I thought.

HoT has changed many of the systems in the game. In a way, it’s the redo button that FF XIV did, before they started doing good things. Anet has told us that HoT is more of the roadmap forward than just an expansion. That was my understanding of it. Masteries, specializations, elite specializations, even the change to dungeons and fractals are all in preparation for what comes next.

So yeah, if you’re going to talk FF XIV, their first big “expansion” was actually a complete rewrite of a game with an abysmal launch.

The difference is FFXIV launched as a mess, they admitted it and they redid the entire game over and relaunched successfully in the eyes of the fans. GW2 was not a mess at release, it was very close to what the fans wanted out of the game, but from that day forward Anet has taken a different path that continue to disappoint a lot of fans (you can debate that all you want too I don’t care).

Now you say GW2 launched the expansion as a rewrite for their systems and future roadmap for a game that wasn’t really broken in the first place (they did the same thing with the NPE and trait systems, which they had to go back and fix again because of the backlash they got). Repackaging earned guild perks behind a material wall in the guildhalls was a good thing? Nerfing dungeons and discontinuing their support was a good thing? Messing up fractals rewards and scaling and can’t even be bothered to add 1 new map for the expansion was a good thing? Adding new p2w meta of classes in spvp was a good thing? Killing wvw with the new map and features while still continuing to not actually listen to wvw feedback was a good thing? Now they’re moving on to raiding which caters to a smaller subset of the player base is a good thing?

They don’t need to constantly trash stuff in order to implement new stuff. As someone stated in the reddit thread, HoT was literally our paying Anet to nerf our rewards. Spin it all you want, people are starting to stop turning a blind eye to it all.

The story behind FFXIV and it’s relaunch.
http://www.gamesradar.com/why-final-fantasy-14-failed-and-how-it-was-reborn/

Near the end of his GDC presentation, Yoshida pulled up one final slide, entitled: “What we have learned.” Its bullet point lessons were the exact opposites of the mindset that went into building the original FF14:

1. Never forget the fans. Without them, there would be no ‘us’
2. Fun comes first. If it isn’t fun, you’re doing it wrong
3. Never back down. Always aim to amaze
4. Don’t forget your roots. It’s what fans crave

“Breaking a promise is the worst thing that you can ever do, and I promised the people that I would make this game happen,” Yoshida said. “The fact I was able to deliver on that promise is a great relief.”

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Now you say GW2 launched the expansion as a rewrite for their systems and future roadmap for a game that wasn’t really broken in the first place (they did the same thing with the NPE and trait systems, which they had to go back and fix again because of the backlash they got). Repackaging earned guild perks behind a material wall in the guildhalls was a good thing? Nerfing dungeons and discontinuing their support was a good thing? Messing up fractals rewards and scaling and can’t even be bothered to add 1 new map for the expansion was a good thing? Adding new p2w meta of classes in spvp was a good thing? Killing wvw with the new map and features while still continuing to not actually listen to wvw feedback was a good thing? Now they’re moving on to raiding which caters to a smaller subset of the player base is a good thing?

1) NPE:
Back in old days , ppl where able to unlock every spell+utlity+trait till 49 lvl (using the Hero challenges too) , and whinned that they didnt have enything to aim for

2) Dungeons:
Now that the core game is Pay for Free , do you wanna see more gold infations in the market ?
What goldsink do those account has ?
The free repairs ?
They can excange gold>gems (nope) ?
(gearing up for fractals-raids is a goldsink althought)

3)Fractals
Check Reddit : they are assebling team to create new Fractals + you 15/12/15 you will see their rewards reforms

4)PvP
>_>
Balance every 2-3 months (after the tournaments)

5) WvWvW
These where the ideas where asked by the community in the WvWvW megathreads …
A) Less PvD =hence you get the laser in themiddle of the map for blob vs blob .
B) Even in tier 1 server , not all oof them has the same amount of ppl all the time , and they have asked for bigger maps to split the zergs and Defending/Scouting becomes an option

6)Raid
>_>

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

1) NPE:
Back in old days , ppl where able to unlock every spell+utlity+trait till 49 lvl (using the Hero challenges too) , and whinned that they didnt have enything to aim for

2) Dungeons:
Now that the core game is Pay for Free , do you wanna see more gold infations in the market ?
What goldsink do those account has ?
The free repairs ?
They can excange gold>gems (nope) ?

3)Fractals
Check Reddit : they are assebling team to create new Fractals + you 15/12/15 you will see their rewards reforms

4)PvP
>_>
Balance every 2-3 months (after the tournaments)

5) WvWvW
These where the ideas where asked by the community in the WvWvW megathreads …
A) Less PvD =hence you get the laser in themiddle of the map for blob vs blob .
B) Even in tier 1 server , not all oof them has the same amount of ppl , and they have asked for bigger maps to split the zergs and Defending/Scouting becomes an option

6)Raid
>_>

1) In the old days traits were fully unlocked at level 60. It gave you 20 levels to actually play your class with your full skills unlocked. Nothing to aim for? How about level 80, dungeons, fractals, wvw, world bosses, ascended and legendary crafting?

2) That’s a pretty poor excuse, sorry but there are dozens of other ways to gain gold just as well in the game in both the core and expansion zones. What they did was slap the dungeon runners for playing in their favorite area of the game, maybe to try and push them into fractals instead.

3) Well hot kitten ! they’re assembling the avengers to fix and create fractals, just in time for after the expansion.

4) Balance is crucial in pvp, with the limited time that the elites had for beta testing to the masses, seriously a few beta weekends with major changes happening in each of them, and then no balance patch for 4 months after the expansion release, not even one in time for the leagues is pretty ridiculous.

5) It has been asked for repeatedly, Less PVE.
Community asked to split the zergs? then why create a big fat pve event in the middle of the map to promote blob vs blob? Defending/Scouting is not really an option when you have auto upgrades and sentries spotting enemies nearby, really no point for scouts to stay on a dead map bored to death waiting for enemies.

6) (<>..<>)

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

The difference is FFXIV launched as a mess, they admitted it and they redid the entire game over and relaunched successfully in the eyes of the fans. GW2 was not a mess at release, it was very close to what the fans wanted out of the game, but from that day forward Anet has taken a different path that continue to disappoint a lot of fans (you can debate that all you want too I don’t care).

They don’t need to constantly trash stuff in order to implement new stuff. As someone stated in the reddit thread, HoT was literally our paying Anet to nerf our rewards. Spin it all you want, people are starting to stop turning a blind eye to it all.

The story behind FFXIV and it’s relaunch.
http://www.gamesradar.com/why-final-fantasy-14-failed-and-how-it-was-reborn/

Near the end of his GDC presentation, Yoshida pulled up one final slide, entitled: “What we have learned.” Its bullet point lessons were the exact opposites of the mindset that went into building the original FF14:

“Breaking a promise is the worst thing that you can ever do, and I promised the people that I would make this game happen,” Yoshida said. “The fact I was able to deliver on that promise is a great relief.”

Lol, yeah. The dev-player relationship in FFXIV is amazing. The only reason I haven’t gone back is I don’t have the time for so many games, and I wouldn’t like paying for a game and not playing it.

Re: whatever Vayne was trying to get at: Yeah, they borked FFXIV: Online (which I’m pretty sure also launched with more to do, it just wasn’t…good). That doesn’t change anything I said at all. People were making the comparison of content and I was pointing out that it is not a favourable or fair one.

You talk about HoT being akin to a revamp/relaunch like FFXIVO to FFXIVARR was. Okay. HoT removed content from core players, many of which paid for them when they bought the game. They’ve moved several features to behind that paywall. With HoT they purposefully destroyed older content like dungeons and fractals. They’ve almost completely wrecked WvW for some inexplicable reason. PvP is a mess, launching a league system that is broken and minus an actual balance patch (though they did admit HoT counted as one…for some reason). The story in HoT feels like they were forced to cut a tonne of stuff out, with plot threads that lead nowhere, are hinted at etc. No substantial questions or build up from the vanilla and living stories are actually resolved, the whole thing culminating in a very abrupt ending. They added a literal handful of new armours with the xpac after months and months of people lamenting the fact that they churn out outfits for cash almost on a weekly basis, but there is a dearth of armours being added to the regular game, including the big new function of HoT, gliders, which are not available through normal play at all. I think HoT was, overall, pretty great. But there are a lot of missteps and it feels like ArenaNet is taking some random steps backwards while stumbling towards whatever their nebulous new goal is. They started GW2 with very clear intent and goals, but it’s slowly eroded away.

I enjoy the game and still play it, but a lot of the things they’ve done recently, particularly with making changes that they say we asked for or are good for us that actually have nothing to do with what people were concerned about, they’ve done without actually getting feedback or communicating with us before, during, or sometimes even after they’ve made changes. And that makes things feel a lot worse. Maybe Yoshida spoiled me with his candor and commitment, but tonnes of issues people have would be less offencive if there was simply more communication.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

It did however come with 3 new jobs/classes and a new race. Features, at this point, 10 new dungeons and 3 raids. Seems like more content than HoT to me.

That’s because it does have more actual content and more features. Plus their quaterly patches are about the size of a whole living world season in GW2. Also it’s called Heavensward, not Heaven’s Sword.

edit: forgot to mention the festivals. instead of only 2 major ones that are usually just copy/paste XIV actually has a ton of unique festivals with new rewards each year and pretty well put together questlines.

I’m not doubting that ANet loves their game but something seems to be amiss with their management considering the difference in new content between those two games.

You mean how GW2 is a B2P game funded by box sales and potential (but not guaranteed) gem store sales, meanwhile FFXIV is funded by a monthly required subscription on top of it’s boxed sales and expansion boxed sales? That kind of makes all the difference in content output and quality.

Not anymore. Anet made Guild Wars 2 a Freemium MMO this summer. It’s no longer B2P. Everyone posting paid for something that was then given away. I’d never have touched this game if it was announced it would go FTP. The rest of you may not feel ripped off but I sure as hell do.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Killthehealersffs.8940

1) 49 , as far as i remember ppl whinning
They didnt have anything to do , and they felt they where forced to join WvWvW zergs to lvl fast and enjoy the endgame

2) Dungeons are the fastest and dont have a DR

3) I hope Hulk dont sux balls and loose from every character 24/7

4)>_>
Powercreep helps new players to win in the tournamnets the old team or something …i dont know …

5)50% wanted Less Person vs Door (PvD) and more fights like it should be
50% wanted something to split the zergs (they whined for the stacking and huge blobs in the old maps where destroying any objective-tower like paper)

6) Dont look at me that , i am not a dungeon speed runner …
>_>

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

Congratulations to Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns!

Guild Wars 2 was also one of the runners-up for the same site’s 2015 Best MMO to eventual winner The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

very shocking they got this no matter what stranded they used it is still shocking they even got this at all

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

1) 49 , as far as i remember ppl whinning
They didnt have anything to do , and they felt they where forced to join WvWvW zergs to lvl fast and enjoy the endgame

2) Dungeons are the fastest and dont have a DR

3) I hope Hulk dont sux balls and loose from every character 24/7

4)>_>
Powercreep helps new players to win in the tournamnets the old team or something …i dont know …

5)50% wanted Less Person vs Door (PvD) and more fights like it should be
50% wanted something to split the zergs (they whined for the stacking and huge blobs in the old maps where destroying any objective-tower like paper)

6) Dont look at me that , i am not a dungeon speed runner …
>_>

Wrong again. 1) it was 60, profession NPC was selling for 2 gold the grandmaster trait book. After launch, people were zerging in Orr ( Straits of Devastation, yes believe me) then moved to Cursed Shore for Plinx farming. Eotm wasn’t even there to ktrain and xptrain. It was a better system, I don’t remember people complaining about it, and we never asked for that kittenty NPE system, making classes like engineer a real chore to level.

Wrong for 2) SW was way better, especialy chest trains. Like raids, dungeons farmers were far from being a majority. Did Anet nerf SW with HoT? Nope. So why dungeons?

4) I don’t remember spvpers asking for a p2w mode, where elite spec are very unbalanced compared to vanilla. Players are begging for more balance patches, less queues, less premades vs solo Q, a better system to report afkers.

5) We, wvw’ers asked for less pve, less blobs, and no eotm 2.0 . What we got was more pve, eotm style new maps with a lot of dumb mechanics, pushing players to EB which is more than ever a blob fest, guild buffs gated behind pve grind, autoupgrades.

6) HC pve’ers got their shinies. 5% of the population. I’m happy for them.

VoxL, NSPPT

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

Being selective about the content you cite only makes your attempts at pushing the idea GW2 is superior look more desperate .. thankfully Coyote pointed out your feeble attempt so I don’t need to.

Fact is FFXIV is a sub-based game with likely double the number of players Anet’s F2P has .. and for many reasons, not least because clearly a far larger number of players think it superior.

Also, it’s more hardcore than HOT at some things, so you can’t even lay the “it’s for casuals” charge at it.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

well considering there were only 3 options for this category and FF14 and SWTOR kind of suck in general compared to gw2

if a WoW expansion launched, it def would have lost, just because

but it still doesn’t fix the fact that half the expansion is unplayable at the moment, except raids

Strange. I find kitten ed near the entire expansion playable. You sure you’re doing it right?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This is a very weird comparison. GW2 has launched one expansion in 3 years, for $50 and half the content is currently disabled, not working, or so bug ridden that you can’t actually progress.

SWTOR on the other hand has launched 4 expansions, all of them free for subscribers and only $15-$20 for non subscribers. They don’t contain nearly as many bugs, all the features actually work, and there is an actual cohesive story.

It’s like comparing a rotten apple to a feast of fresh fruit

You don’t need to look any further than dulfy for the truth. She has published almost twice as many guides, dev communications and class updates for SWTOR as she has for GW2…

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

Congrats Anet, well deserved award!

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Morfedel.4165

I love most of HoT; not everyone thinks its a disaster. But, I am not 100% on it. I’d say I think HoT is around a 7.5 or 8.0 out of 10 – pretty good, but not incredible.

More to the point, I think a lot of HoT was setting up systems that could be used for later expansions. Meaning that in the future, I think we will see more content, because the systems in place for elite specs and masteries are now in place.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I logged in to say “What?!”

That is all.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Nevermind all the new armours, weapons, mini-games, activities, mounts, quests, etc. HS has waaay, way more content than HoT (and vanilla FFXIV has far more content than vanilla GW2) and it’s not a fair comparison seeing as it’s a subscription game. Back when I played it there were tonnes of content updates that added raids, gear, quests, classes, jobs, etc. etc.

Let’s talk about it then.

FFXIV launched at it wasn’t great. The players did not enjoy it and due to poor retention Square Enix made a decision to re-do the game. They suspended the subscription, footing the bill to keep the servers open The project lead was fired and a new one brought in from the dragon quest series. They didn’t just revamp the game that failed, they completely redid it. The difference between FFXIV and FFXIV:ARR is like night and day compared to GW2 and HoT. You cannot compare the amount of changes that happened and the amount of content added. It’s more like going from GW1 to GW2.

You’re really going to try and compare HoT to the revamp of FFXIV though? I mean one company admitted there was major issues, owned up to them, redid the game at their own major expense, and re-released to huge success. The other NEVER owns up to their issues, kept the game active at players expense, put in illogical systems that make things worse, and let portions of the game rot. ArenaNet’s continued development of GW2 has been nothing short of abysmal starting with the Ascended patch 3 months after launch. For every good thing they put in you can find two bad. FFXIV on the other hand has done a decent job of expanding on systems without destroying things.

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

—snip—

I just wanted to say, Yoshida is the bee’s knees. I’m not playing FFXIV at the moment, but I love that game and everything they do for it. It’s pretty much the only MMO that actually works for that subscription. If you’re into raiding and social guilds, probably the best place to go.

Killthehealersffs.8940

Wrong again. 1) it was 60, profession NPC was selling for 2 gold the grandmaster trait book. After launch, people were zerging in Orr ( Straits of Devastation, yes believe me) then moved to Cursed Shore for Plinx farming. Eotm wasn’t even there to ktrain and xptrain. It was a better system, I don’t remember people complaining about it, and we never asked for that kittenty NPE system, making classes like engineer a real chore to level.

Wrong for 2) SW was way better, especialy chest trains. Like raids, dungeons farmers were far from being a majority. Did Anet nerf SW with HoT? Nope. So why dungeons?

4) I don’t remember spvpers asking for a p2w mode, where elite spec are very unbalanced compared to vanilla. Players are begging for more balance patches, less queues, less premades vs solo Q, a better system to report afkers.

5) We, wvw’ers asked for less pve, less blobs, and no eotm 2.0 . What we got was more pve, eotm style new maps with a lot of dumb mechanics, pushing players to EB which is more than ever a blob fest, guild buffs gated behind pve grind, autoupgrades.

6) HC pve’ers got their shinies. 5% of the population. I’m happy for them.

1) Yeah i forgot about the tomes . Sorry …maybe by sending any chest to my 49 alt and salvage them for linen or something stuck me there ….
WvWvW(normal mode) trains where the best option ( i did them most of the time) + and ppl back there whinned about PvEnoobs+low lvls where distracting the ques for the ‘’true WvWvW’’ while they where trying to do the Achiv for the WvWvW jumping puzzle+ unlock Vistas (for the 100% world copletion achivevement ) . (Eotm + they removed it cured most the problem > but it overdit it too much…)

PPl whined back there and they ask the company to atleast put the some rewards after those lvl (to look ssomething forward to)

You cant have an MMO-RPG to have its progression to stop in lower lvls
(I still miss till now the 5 sec kit refiment , but in wvwvw they where the Guardian speed marks for that :P)

Edit: nope nope i am 99,9% sure it was 49 where you could unlock all Utility spell + and by having done the Hero chalanges you had all the points needed for the talents points to alocate and respect anytime , ..but you couldnt use the 3 Grandmaster traits in each Sections , if you wherent 60 lvl and bought the tome .
Do you remember that we had to pay to respec the talents , while now its free ? ..omg…

2) Chest Trains depends on on having some ppl to have the Shovels (LFG Chest farming , NEED SHOVELS!!!!!)
(which like DR for the actual rewards , can be affected by the company) .
Straight up gold/per dungeon cannot be stealthy nerfed

4) PvP players always told the company to ‘’let the meta involve , before doing any knee jerk movements’’ (and later on they ask to buff the weak specs and we have an other whole lvl on new imbalances …to ‘’see something new in meta’’…….)

5) guild buffs gated behind pve grind = i dont find it ’’right’’ too , but any 20-30% increase to Magic find should not be used by F2P accounts . Or any buffs that the Tier 1 mega guilds (when the Tournamnets ends > and the WvW season starts) can create F2P smurfss accounts and effect the pre-season-swiss-knife pre season matches and the tournament in whole …

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

That’s because it does have more actual content and more features. Plus their quaterly patches are about the size of a whole living world season in GW2. Also it’s called Heavensward, not Heaven’s Sword.

edit: forgot to mention the festivals. instead of only 2 major ones that are usually just copy/paste XIV actually has a ton of unique festivals with new rewards each year and pretty well put together questlines.

I’m not doubting that ANet loves their game but something seems to be amiss with their management considering the difference in new content between those two games.

You mean how GW2 is a B2P game funded by box sales and potential (but not guaranteed) gem store sales, meanwhile FFXIV is funded by a monthly required subscription on top of it’s boxed sales and expansion boxed sales? That kind of makes all the difference in content output and quality.

That makes sense but I wonder, if one model clearly is more profitable than the other, why not adopt it? At the end of the day ANet is just another company (or subsidiary for that matter) with the goal to make money.
It also makes it look like GW2 is the cheap but inferior alternative for people with not enough money to afford a subscription based MMO.
Not saying that’s how it actually is but it certainly looks that way.

I think it is case by case. There are much more to consider such as brand loyalty, game studio location, and target market.

Even the same game can be released as free to play in one location and buy to play in another location.

Also the square enix brand is so big in every location with it’s final fantasy series. While Anet probably only have a loyal US market from GW1.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Congrats, I guess?

I doubt Heavensward would have legit lost if the writer hadn’t been a paid shill or something.
/shrug

HoT is still a promise of development, not a solid expansion. Many of us are still holding to see what shakes out in balance passes and Living Story releases.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Morfedel.4165

This is a very weird comparison. GW2 has launched one expansion in 3 years, for $50 and half the content is currently disabled, not working, or so bug ridden that you can’t actually progress.

SWTOR on the other hand has launched 4 expansions, all of them free for subscribers and only $15-$20 for non subscribers. They don’t contain nearly as many bugs, all the features actually work, and there is an actual cohesive story.

You don’t need to look any further than dulfy for the truth. She has published almost twice as many guides, dev communications and class updates for SWTOR as she has for GW2…

Half the content? That is quite a bit of an exaggeration.

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Congratulations to the men and women of ANet, may your reign continue for years to come!

Thank You!

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: Turbotef.9203

Turbotef.9203

I got 5 new skills on my Monk and the game actually got 6 HUGE new zones that totally eclipse the size of the total areas size of HoT and we got flying mounts to boot. FFXIV has much better story telling and characters than GW2 as well but that’s to be expected since ANET will never match the expertise of one of the best RPG devs in the world.

Also, the default gear, dungeon gear, raid gear, crafting gear all look good compared to what you have to grind for for hours trying to look like in GW2. FXIV just has better looking gear and weapons overall along with better looking character models to display it all on.

Game also looks much better and more detailed than GW2 as well. Has actual dungeons and better structured raiding systems in place along with an intelligent and convoluted story that continues over many varying venues of the game.

The crafting classes and system blow away ANET’s best efforts in GW2 as well. GW2’s crafting is a grindy blow your money on gems to level it fest that makes vanilla WoW’s crafting system a joy to play by comparison.

Keep trying buddy, but GW2 isn’t as good as you guys make it out to be and HoT just destroyed the game for me.

Blade and Soul is the GW2 kind of game I want anyway and will be my new side game while I play FFXIV and WoW.

BTW – Did I mention that I don’t need to have or use crafting in WoW and FFXIV in order to attain and use cool looking gear and cosmetic gear like I have to in GW2? They really need to stop using crafting as a gear crutch in GW2 otherwise I’ll never come back and try it when they finally get off their butt and make teh game good again.

(edited by Turbotef.9203)

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Yet ESO was their MMO of the year lol. Doesn’t really say much for GW2 does it?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

New PvP mode…. disabled
PvP Leagues… have to exploit just to advance in a normal manner
WvW maps… wasteland of despair and ruin
Story mission… still bugged and impossible to complete for many people
Balance…. LOL LOL LOL LOL
Guild mission… Rewards are still 50/50

The only two things in this expansion that are working fairly well are the open world PvE maps and the raids. Of course with how little content they provide most players have already finished doing everything on them so they are just grinding out/farming stuff now.

50% was being generous…

Morfedel.4165

New PvP mode…. disabled
PvP Leagues… have to exploit just to advance in a normal manner
WvW maps… wasteland of despair and ruin
Story mission… still bugged and impossible to complete for many people
Balance…. LOL LOL LOL LOL
Guild mission… Rewards are still 50/50

The only two things in this expansion that are working fairly well are the open world PvE maps and the raids. Of course with how little content they provide most players have already finished doing everything on them so they are just grinding out/farming stuff now.

50% was being generous…

that isn’t 50% of the content, not even close. That’s you complaining about a few things you are unhappy about.

All four maps of HoT are packed with content that are working just fine. If 50% wasn’t working, that would include half the maps. But that isn’t the case.

The stronghold and story mode isn’t anywhere near half the content, and while WVW is a wasteland, that doesn’t mean it is broken and nonfunctional, just that no one is playing it, and that’s a difference too.

Yes, there are some things that are nonfunctional. But it isn’t half the content they released. It isn’t even close. That’s just you exaggerating for effect, but it certainly isn’t accurate.

Let’s see: all four HoT maps are functional. WVW maps are functional. Elite specs are functional; revenant is functional.

Seriously, where do you get the 50%? Just say you are unhappy, that’s fine. 50% is a lie.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

This is a very weird comparison. GW2 has launched one expansion in 3 years, for $50 and half the content [that I prefer to do] is currently disabled, not working, or so bug ridden that you can’t actually progress.

Fixed it.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I really hate SWTOR payment method. I already hate premium game. I especially hate it in SWTOR because they have even more restriction than most premium game.

In GW2 I can actually really pay the box price and not be treated as a second rated citizen. So essentially for me and many people SWTOR is a subscription game that you have to pay 10-15$ a month. And if I really want to play a wow clone which I need to pay 10-15$, which is not even better than wow. I rather just play wow.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Considering the minimal and poor competition it is not surprising HoT won.

That does not make the expansion great though, I can list off countless MMO expansions over the years that have been far superior.

But, congrats I guess?

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Considering the minimal and poor competition it is not surprising HoT won.

Competition wasn’t poor. Its pretty clear the FF14 xpac is probably the best if you read the feedback with some objectivety. Also IMO the swtor xpac was clearly better.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Considering the source, I don’t think this is much of a compliment. lol

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

but it still doesn’t fix the fact that half the expansion is unplayable at the moment, except raids

which parts exactly? because i’m enjoying HoT pretty much ..

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Ayrilana.1396

If they highly criticized the expansion would you still hold the same opinion of them?

Rauderi.8706

If they highly criticized the expansion would you still hold the same opinion of them?

It certainly would seem less biased if they did.

I mean, ESO for “top MMO”? Yeeaahh.. someone’s either gotten paid or is trolling awful ruddy hard.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Ayrilana.1396

I mean, ESO for “top MMO”? Yeeaahh.. someone’s either gotten paid or is trolling awful ruddy hard.

So they’re now biased because their opinion disagrees with another?

I’m just under the impression that a one of anything that favors the expansion is held less credible simply because they going against the opinion from a segment of the player population. It’s not a really a new thing as you see it out in the real world too.

Rauderi.8706

I’m just under the impression that a one of anything that favors the expansion is held less credible simply because they going against the opinion from a segment of the player population. It’s not a really a new thing as you see it out in the real world too.

/shrug

It really is one doof’s opinion, so he’s free to exalt what he feels is “the top,” but we need to be honest about what’s out there. While HoT offered a lot of character options and some gameplay content (with the promise of more), it fractured the player base instead of rousing it.

Adventures are a flop.
Time gating is a flop.
Of the 4 maps released, most of the content is hidden or unreachable, burying one of the things that was awesome about GW2: exploration.
Some mobs are overtuned to the point of being obnoxious.

The actual expansion content is the least desirable thing about it. Not exactly something I’d vote as “best of the year.” I hadn’t checked on the recent buzz about Heavensward, but at release, it was well acclaimed. Within two weeks, HoT had successfully cleaved into its player base.

As for ESO as MMO of the year, well.. voting for that steaming pile indicates judgment impairment. But eh, who knows, maybe they managed to pull a reformation the way FFXIV did and actually made it good.

Many alts; handle it!

Ayrilana.1396

/shrug

It really is one doof’s opinion, so he’s free to exalt what he feels is “the top,” but we need to be honest about what’s out there. While HoT offered a lot of character options and some gameplay content (with the promise of more), it fractured the player base instead of rousing it.

Adventures are a flop.
Time gating is a flop.
Of the 4 maps released, most of the content is hidden or unreachable, burying one of the things that was awesome about GW2: exploration.
Some mobs are overtuned to the point of being obnoxious.

The actual expansion content is the least desirable thing about it. Not exactly something I’d vote as “best of the year.” I hadn’t checked on the recent buzz about Heavensward, but at release, it was well acclaimed. Within two weeks, HoT had successfully cleaved into its player base.

As for ESO as MMO of the year, well.. voting for that steaming pile indicates judgment impairment. But eh, who knows, maybe they managed to pull a reformation the way FFXIV did and actually made it good.

It’s all subjective. What could be awesome to one person could be horrible to another. There’s no one website that can really be held as the definitive answer to whether the expansion is good or not.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m not impressed with their reviews regardless of which side they come down on. Why would that alter my opinion? SMH

(edited by Celtic Lady.3729)

Vayne.8563

I’m not impressed with their reviews regardless of which side they come down on. Why would that alter my opinion? SMH

I agree with Celtic Lady. To me, winning best expansion from MMORPG.com is pretty much meaningless. I mean it’s nice a guess, but MMORPG.com does a pretty bad job on reviewing stuff generally.

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

That being said HoT really is lacking content and a lot of stuff like the story or the fact that we got very few new skins ingame make it seem rushed.

That’s sad, to think that they even cut WvW features simply to make the release date. Anet is pathetic.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

lmao, how much did anet pay them for that?!

It’s not just WvW and sPvP players who are complaining now, but PvE players as well!

HoT has been the worst expansion ever!

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

Vayne.8563

It’s not just WvW and sPvP players who are complaining now, but PvE players as well!

If you think that you haven’t been around MMOs long enough to comment. There have been far worse expansions.

First of all, the WvW part of the expansion didn’t make it into the expansion and is still being worked on. The expansion didn’t touch WvW< so the problems with WvW have nothing to do with the expansion.

As for PvE, there are plenty of people who like the raids. There are plenty of people who like the new zones. I run into them every day. This universal disdain you’re talking about isn’t so universal.

Google Star Wars Galaxies NGE and read what a real bad expansion does to a game.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

If you think that you haven’t been around MMOs long enough to comment. There have been far worse expansions.

First of all, the WvW part of the expansion didn’t make it into the expansion and is still being worked on. The expansion didn’t touch WvW< so the problems with WvW have nothing to do with the expansion.

As for PvE, there are plenty of people who like the raids. There are plenty of people who like the new zones. I run into them every day. This universal disdain you’re talking about isn’t so universal.

Google Star Wars Galaxies NGE and read what a real bad expansion does to a game.

New borderlands did and they’re bad, objectively bad. The super secret WvW project “years in development” can’t get here fast enough. HoT did change WvW and anyone into WvW knows that.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Vayne.8563

New borderlands did and they’re bad, objectively bad. The super secret WvW project “years in development” can’t get here fast enough. HoT did change WvW and anyone into WvW knows that.

Yep, you’re right. HoT did change WvW. I’m definitely wrong on that one.