MMORPG.com's 2015 Best DLC/Expansion (MMO)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Congratulations to Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns!

Guild Wars 2 was also one of the runners-up for the same site’s 2015 Best MMO to eventual winner The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Yay!

In before salt.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

well considering there were only 3 options for this category and FF14 and SWTOR kind of suck in general compared to gw2

if a WoW expansion launched, it def would have lost, just because

but it still doesn’t fix the fact that half the expansion is unplayable at the moment, except raids

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

well considering there were only 3 options for this category and FF14 and SWTOR kind of suck in general compared to gw2

if a WoW expansion launched, it def would have lost, just because

but it still doesn’t fix the fact that half the expansion is unplayable at the moment, except raids

The last WoW expansion was a complete disaster. The launch was bad, it wasn’t well received by fans and WoW lost millions of subs.

FFXIV is considered a good MMO by some. SWToR I have less information about.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

And yet it lost to ESO for best MMO. How unfortunate :/
That being said HoT really is lacking content and a lot of stuff like the story or the fact that we got very few new skins ingame make it seem rushed. Still liking the game but as far as expansions are concerned Heavensward should have won by a country mile.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

That being said HoT really is lacking content and a lot of stuff like the story or the fact that we got very few new skins ingame make it seem rushed. Still liking the game but as far as expansions are concerned Heavensward should have won by a country mile.

Nope, Heaven sword release(3.0) has no where near as much content as HoT, It has 3 maps(including a city), a few skills for each class no where near specs of hot of course and end game is still the same token grind.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

HoT is one of the only expansions to a game I actively play that made me play the game less.
HoT is the only expansion that has made me want to explore other mmos out there that I have been putting off for some time.
HoT was a bigger bust than even WoD imo. First few weeks were great, then I just logged in less and less. Not even sure why, just not really enjoying the expansion any more.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

Nope, Heaven sword release(3.0) has no where near as much content as HoT, It has 3 maps(including a city), a few skills for each class no where near specs of hot of course and end game is still the same token grind.

It did however come with 3 new jobs/classes and a new race. Features, at this point, 10 new dungeons and 3 raids. Seems like more content than HoT to me.

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

That /DLC is funny and sad at the same time since it’s so true
s2 dlc story is longer than the expansions

Crovax.7854

It did however come with 3 new jobs/classes and a new race. Features, at this point, 10 new dungeons and 3 raids. Seems like more content than HoT to me.

That’s because it does have more actual content and more features. Plus their quaterly patches are about the size of a whole living world season in GW2. Also it’s called Heavensward, not Heaven’s Sword.

edit: forgot to mention the festivals. instead of only 2 major ones that are usually just copy/paste XIV actually has a ton of unique festivals with new rewards each year and pretty well put together questlines.

I’m not doubting that ANet loves their game but something seems to be amiss with their management considering the difference in new content between those two games.

(edited by Crovax.7854)

warbignime.4610

If we are going down this route HoT also have 2 Guild Halls. Advantures, Mastery system, raid wing, pvp league, Stronghold , 4-5hours of voice acted story campian, dozen of collection and achivement. Better than FF14 rat race gear grind if you ask me.

(edited by warbignime.4610)

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

HoT is one of the only expansions to a game I actively play that made me play the game less.
HoT is the only expansion that has made me want to explore other mmos out there that I have been putting off for some time.
HoT was a bigger bust than even WoD imo. First few weeks were great, then I just logged in less and less. Not even sure why, just not really enjoying the expansion anymore.

This is pretty much my experience only I know why (at least for me and some people I know). The fun game modes we all used to play prior to it have all been butchered and tossed out for a new, foundationally broken type of system (event farm maps with barely any content on them). Raids suck with all the class unbalance and PvP is a mess because of this. And the only way to make money is to play the most unfun thing imaginable and since you can’t earn gear by playing normally, well have fun in silverwaste hell.

So after that initial feeling of ooh shiny at the new maps and specs, I saw there was no game left. Especially for someone who likes dungeons and BALANCED raids like myself. Seeing GW2 win best expansion makes me wonder just how much MMORPG.com got paid.

edit: ESO won best MMO? Yeah that site isn’t reliable hahaha.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

(edited by Aguri.2896)

warbignime.4610

HoT was a bigger bust than even WoD imo. First few weeks were great, then I just logged in less and less. Not even sure why, just not really enjoying the expansion anymore.

Raids suck with all the class unbalanced

What? in pvp it’s a bit unbalanced I give you that, but for raid every class are viable in raid maybe except for theif, unbalanced my cat.

Aguri.2896

What? in pvp it’s a bit unbalanced I give you that, but for raid any class are viable in raid maybe except for theif, unbalanced my cat.

I go on LFG and literally all I see is “lf zerk herald”. Balanced my kitten. Not to mention I do main a thief and he is my only character with ascended. Wouldn’t be so bad if I could play the game and get new ascended gear, but I am not stepping foot in the silverwastes again for as long as I live.

warbignime.4610

What? in pvp it’s a bit unbalanced I give you that, but for raid any class are viable in raid maybe except for theif, unbalanced my cat.

I go on LFG and literally all I see is “lf zerk herald”. Balanced my kitten. Not to mention I do main a thief and he is my only character with ascended. Wouldn’t be so bad if I could play the game and get new ascended gear, but I am not stepping foot in the silverwastes again for as long as I live.

First ascended gear are ACCOUNT bond, so play other classes? It’s unbalanced because you saw group looking for zerk herald, lol what? So groups can’t look for classes they need anymore, omg such unbalance. Fact is there are viable build for every class except for thief in raid, if you are too blind to accept that. Then fine but don’t go on forum and talk cat.

Aguri.2896

First ascended gear are ACCOUNT bond, so play other classes? It’s unbalanced because you saw group looking for zerk herald, lol what? So groups can’t look for classes they need anymore, omg such unbalance. Fact is there are viable build for every class except for thief in raid, if you are too blind to accept that. Then fine but don’t go on forum and talk cat.

Lol that’s not the only reason I was merely throwing that in there to make a point. Zerk isn’t that great for an engi, you should be running condi gear on those if you want to actually make use of yourself in raids. Ranger is just… eeeeeh. Sure I could change the stats on the gear, however, my hard work to have a set of zerk gear that I would use for things outside of raids would be wasted.

Some classes are too much a drop from the “viable” (putting in quotation marks because other people use this word to describe less than optimal.) Say I want to do condi dps on my thief, sure I could play it if I had the gear and was lucky to have a group that didn’t laugh in my face, but I would be better off just playing an engi because the difference in damage and utility is just far too great. This is only an example of one scenario where this happens, but this is not the only case of this.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

HoT made me hate GW2, it feels lackluster and brought unbalance in any game mode…

warbignime.4610

Lol that’s not the only reason I was merely throwing that in there to make a point. Zerk isn’t that great for an engi, you should be running condi gear on those if you want to actually make use of yourself in raids. Ranger is just… eeeeeh. Sure I could change the stats on the gear, however, my hard work to have a set of zerk gear that I would use for things outside of raids would be wasted.

Some classes are too much a drop from the “viable” (putting in quotation marks because other people use this word to describe less than optimal.) Say I want to do condi dps on my thief, sure I could play it if I had the gear and was lucky to have a group that didn’t laugh in my face, but I would be better off just playing an engi because the difference in damage and utility is just far too great. This is only an example of one scenario where this happens, but this is not the only case of this.

First, why you can’t play condi engi outside of raid? condi engi is pretty strong everywhere.

Second, so your “unbalanced” is that not every playstyle is available for every class? wow such unbalance, every class has an area they are useful at in raid and you can not expect every class to be able to do everything it’s just not possible. Tempest-support/tank,druid-healer/dps boost, revenant-dps/boon share,chrono-alacrity/quickness,engi-condi dps,berserker-condi dps, guard-tank/heal, reaper-support/dps, daredvil-venomshare.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

mmorpg.com

Heart of Thorns, the first expansion to Guild Wars 2, divided players with its many changes. But one thing’s for sure, it’s one of the most complete expansions to an MMORPG in years.

Every facet of the game was touched, polished, tweaked, or overhauled. More shockingly, most of the changes were for the better!

ArenaNet says that Heart of Thorns is all about laying the groundwork for what’s to become of their MMO sequel.

Wait what?

Someones been smoking too much of something something, or they’re counting a little something something between their fingers right now. Cause they certainly didn’t play every facet that was squeezed(economy), sandpapered(spvp), twerked(guilds), or mutilated(wvw), most of the changes were for the worse!

PS. the FFXIV expansion was cheaper in price.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Payola is still a thing?

Posted by: assasin oates.3018

assasin oates.3018

How? It was a half finished mess.

warbignime.4610

How? It was a half finished mess.

Literally every mmo expansion for the last 3 years.

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Heart of Thorns, the first expansion to Guild Wars 2, divided players with its many changes. But one thing’s for sure, it’s one of the most complete expansions to an MMORPG in years.

Every facet of the game was touched, polished, tweaked, or overhauled. More shockingly, most of the changes were for the better!

ArenaNet says that Heart of Thorns is all about laying the groundwork for what’s to become of their MMO sequel.

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA. Ty for the quote Xenesis.

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

Now I know where the rest of the sale apart from $200.000 went !

Posted by: Chip Skylark.2367

Chip Skylark.2367

lol gw2 lost to ESO

that’s how you know that website is trash and everything on it should be ignored.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

That’s because it does have more actual content and more features. Plus their quaterly patches are about the size of a whole living world season in GW2. Also it’s called Heavensward, not Heaven’s Sword.

edit: forgot to mention the festivals. instead of only 2 major ones that are usually just copy/paste XIV actually has a ton of unique festivals with new rewards each year and pretty well put together questlines.

I’m not doubting that ANet loves their game but something seems to be amiss with their management considering the difference in new content between those two games.

You mean how GW2 is a B2P game funded by box sales and potential (but not guaranteed) gem store sales, meanwhile FFXIV is funded by a monthly required subscription on top of it’s boxed sales and expansion boxed sales? That kind of makes all the difference in content output and quality.

Crovax.7854

You mean how GW2 is a B2P game funded by box sales and potential (but not guaranteed) gem store sales, meanwhile FFXIV is funded by a monthly required subscription on top of it’s boxed sales and expansion boxed sales? That kind of makes all the difference in content output and quality.

That makes sense but I wonder, if one model clearly is more profitable than the other, why not adopt it? At the end of the day ANet is just another company (or subsidiary for that matter) with the goal to make money.
It also makes it look like GW2 is the cheap but inferior alternative for people with not enough money to afford a subscription based MMO.
Not saying that’s how it actually is but it certainly looks that way.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

“Every facet of the game was touched, polished, tweaked, or overhauled.”

This is simply untrue, but I have nothing against it winning an award from MMORPG.com

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

“Every facet of the game was touched, polished, tweaked, or overhauled.”

PvP has gotten a broken and unfair league system that goes against Anet’s esport dreams, while the meta won’t be fixed until the season ends.

Fractals have gotten a convoluted and uneffective reward system, so they’re as unrewarding as ever.

WvW is officially incomplete by Anet’s own words.

The storyline is clearly rushed.

Existing reward systems like pvp reward tracks and luck consumption are now locked or hindered if you want to invest on guild halls with pvp potions/ luck, effectively making the game a less rewarding experience, which goes against Anet’s goals.

Guild Halls are solely designed to function as a massive money sink. Any potentially fun content, like guild upgrading and guild decoration, are gated behind massive money and time sinks, and it takes forever to get the smallest of benefits. Have fun cleaning your entire bank for months before even being able to enjoy decoration.

Medium-term rewards are almost non-existent. After some easier achievements, all that is left for you to do is to invest on legendaries, with nothing inbetween. 3 transmutation charges for completing your bladed armor chest in VB. Have fun.

Precursor hunting is, after 1-2 days of completing collections, nothing but yet another generic and convoluted money sink, not very different from the classic buy-from-tp precursors, which effectively added very little to the game.

And convoluted crafting everwhere. Trees and trees of material requirements specifically designed to suck gold and materials out of the economy, with little regard to the player’s enjoyment.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Do mmorpg and I play same game? Or there is another Guild wars 2: Heart of thorns out there?

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA. Ty for the quote Xenesis.

;-) Had a good laugh before going to sleep. Thx for sharing that quotes <3

“Most of the changes were for the better” pffft ahahahaha xD I’m so beyond the point of finding this sad, this is satire at it’s best! :D

Vayne.8563

mmorpg.com

Wait what?

Someones been smoking too much of something something, or they’re counting a little something something between their fingers right now. Cause they certainly didn’t play every facet that was squeezed(economy), sandpapered(spvp), twerked(guilds), or mutilated(wvw), most of the changes were for the worse!

PS. the FFXIV expansion was cheaper in price.

Was it cheaper in price? If you’re paying a sub every single month it’s part of the entire business plan. You can’t isolate the price of the expansion if you’re ignoring the sub. Well you can, but you’d be comparing apples to oranges. FF XIV players pay $15 a month for the priviledge of logging in. So yeah, their expansion can be cheaper.

Posted by: KhanKatir.4038

KhanKatir.4038

I didn’t know they had corporate Paypal. Guess so.

Posted by: Chrisco.5732

Chrisco.5732

Congrats … i guess!?! :/

Raids are fun for a bit … buuut … 4 pve maps that are the complete opposite of dynamic, 5 hours of story content with no mention of LS season 3, broken pvp, no balance with specializations that are absolutely broken (either for better or worse), boring wvw, 3? new armor/weapon sets, dungeons and fractals being destroyed, painful legendary crafting, … shall i go on?

As a 10 year veteran of guild wars, I hate to say it but so far this expansion is the low point for me. I’ve gotten to the point that even coming on to do the daily feels like a chore. Hopefully 2016 brings some really great content and Anet taking a look back at what made gw1 and gw2 great.

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

MMORG.com can award any game they want, but saying HoT improved and polished vanilla GW2 is a pure lie.

WvW, dungeon rewards, pvp balance, leagues exploit, pvp stronghold temp removed because of exploits, Rev Hammer # 2 fest ruining GvG, vanilla vs elite spec balance, there’s still a lot of broken ( or totaly destroyed) things in HoT.

VoxL, NSPPT

Xenesis.6389

Was it cheaper in price? If you’re paying a sub every single month it’s part of the entire business plan. You can’t isolate the price of the expansion if you’re ignoring the sub. Well you can, but you’d be comparing apples to oranges. FF XIV players pay $15 a month for the priviledge of logging in. So yeah, their expansion can be cheaper.

So why are you ignoring gem sales?

The $15 a month also gets them major content updates every 3-4 months, that includes new areas with new stories, new dungeons, new raids, new game features, new pvp game types and areas, even new classes.

P.S discussion on the same topic on Reddit as well. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wk61u/mmorpgcom_heart_of_thorns_best_expansion_2015/

North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.

(edited by Xenesis.6389)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m seriously not trying to hate, but are they even playing the same game? My God. They awarded ESO with best MMO of the year? There must be nothing else out there in MMO land…

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Reading this makes it look as if you are saying that Anet cannot produce quantity and quality to compare with their competitors due to their business model. It implies that GW2 is an inferior product.

I do not necessarily agree with that implication. I am not sufficiently familiar with FFXIV to compare the two games. If, however, GW2’s business model is causing it to be an inferior product to its competition then perhaps something needs to change.

For what it is worth, I think that ESO is a pretty decent game. I assume that FFXIV is as well or it would not be as popular as it is. Of course GW2 is also a decent game or we would not be here.

Also, for what it is worth, I have spent more money on GW2 than on any sub based MMO that I have played, without getting more bang for my buck. Depending on what you want from a game GW2’s BtP + Gemstore can be significantly more expensive than a subscription.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Vayne.8563

The $15 a month also gets them major content updates every 3-4 months, that includes new areas with new stories, new dungeons, new raids, new game features, new pvp game types and areas, even new classes.

P.S discussion on the same topic on Reddit as well. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wk61u/mmorpgcom_heart_of_thorns_best_expansion_2015/

No one has to buy gems though. It’s an option. If you have a million people playign the game playing 15 bucks a month that’s 15 million a month, far more than the GW 2 gem store makes.

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

No one has to buy gems though. It’s an option. If you have a million people playign the game playing 15 bucks a month that’s 15 million a month, far more than the GW 2 gem store makes.

I wouldn´t be so sure about that. I´m guessing many people have paid more than they would pay for a sub based game. The entire game is designed to extract as much real life cash from you as possible.

Any cool looking item or ascended armor pretty much requires you to grind hundreds of hours in the Silverwastes like a Chinese gold famer. Either that or buy gems, convert them to gold and get the things you want immediately without any grinding. It´s very tempting.

In the end, buying a sub based MMO would probably be cheaper for the majority of players.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

So HoT won Best DLC Award?

Vayne.8563

I wouldn´t be so sure about that. I´m guessing many people have paid more than they would pay for a sub based game. The entire game is designed to extract as much real life cash from you as possible.

Any cool looking item or ascended armor pretty much requires you to grind hundreds of hours in the Silverwastes like a Chinese gold famer. Either that or buy gems, convert them to gold and get the things you want immediately without any grinding. It´s very tempting.

In the end, buying a sub based MMO would probably be cheaper for the majority of players.

We know there are people who haven’t paid any money, or at least say they haven’t. I do pay real money but I do so to support the game. However, that has nothing to do with what I said. We know how much Anet makes a month from quarterly reports.

So until there are less than half a million subscribers, then FF XIV is making more.

That said, I didn’t think the game was worth playing anyway. I bought it and never subscribed again. Just not my cup of tea.

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

Nevermind all the new armours, weapons, mini-games, activities, mounts, quests, etc. HS has waaay, way more content than HoT (and vanilla FFXIV has far more content than vanilla GW2) and it’s not a fair comparison seeing as it’s a subscription game. Back when I played it there were tonnes of content updates that added raids, gear, quests, classes, jobs, etc. etc.

Xenesis.6389

Sure no one has to buy gems, but there are lot of people paying more than monthly subs worth which covers for the freeloaders. Doesn’t mean you exclude it from the entire business plan either, unless of course Anet is not actually making any profits off the game, which is not the case.

Gem sales are another version of monthly subs, it’s just not guaranteed numbers like a regular monthly sub. The numbers will fluctuate, that’s why Anet releases new black lion skins and outfits once a month, along with other stuff like gathering tools, to keep those numbers in line each month. There are games that make more money off of f2p sales than even monthly subs, which is why most games have turned to that direction to keep their games going.

If you want to include monthly subs into the cost of an expansion, then it’s only fair to do the same with gem sales, and frankly since Anet didn’t develop much content this year but continued to pour gem store items out, only fair to put some of that back on the expansion too.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Yes, they’ve said after the expansion Living World Season 3 will follow. Living World is supposed to buffer the time between expansions.

Now whether that happens or not, given recent events and complaints everywhere, is another story.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I doubt that we will get LS3 until after the Wintersday holiday stuff. I could be wrong but I don’t think so.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well if this was the best there is , then ALL the MMORPG’s really, and I mean really are in a sorry state at this time… beyond this, gratz foir the win, but if this is it… pls make LS from now on.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Heh, this was one guys opinion. There was no voting or anything. Likely he sent out requests for donations while he was writing it, and received back paid advertising.

Of value is the responses.

(edited by Tumult.2578)

Ardenwolfe.8590

Wait. There’s no voting or committee? It’s just one guy’s opinion? Pffft.

Gone to Reddit.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Fixing the forum bug.

Gone to Reddit.