"Machined" Item Collection Confusion

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Wander.5780

Wander.5780

I’m on the last leg of getting my Fix R’ Upper for my Engie, and I’m a bit confused regarding the noxious pod drop of the “Machined Hammer Handle.”

In game, it says that the item is dropped either in the chest after defeating Mordremoth, or from noxious pods in Dragon’s Stand. If I look at the wiki entry here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Machined_Hammer_Handle
it states that “Found in Noxious Pods and Mordremoth’s Chest after the successful completion of the meta-event in Dragon’s Stand.”

Given the conflicting information, I would just like to know if it is at all possible to get the item from noxious pods on a regular, non-completed DS map. Thanks!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The final meta event chest is gauranteed to give 1 of the parts for those collections but it’s random on which one of you have multiple open. The rest can be gathered from pods but it’s RNG as to whether you get a part or not. The rate isn’t too bad though.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yes you can get the part you need from a non-completed dragon stand. Source, I did this myself. The only real difference is that it’s RNG and you have to open quite a few of them, and if you complete dragon stand, you have a lot more of them to open.

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

Just do the meta. I was trying to get a the one I needed for Ydalir a while back. I probably opened 30-40 pods running around non progressing DS maps. Nothing. One meta and I got it. You might get lucky and get one. But you might not!

Wander.5780

Just do the meta. I was trying to get a the one I needed for Ydalir a while back. I probably opened 30-40 pods running around non progressing DS maps. Nothing. One meta and I got it. You might get lucky and get one. But you might not!

The problem is I completed the meta last night, had the Plated Hammer in my inventory, and when I looted the chest there was no drop… I do have a Herald with Glint’s Bastion that I got the drop from the first try on the Dragon’s Chest, it’s just not the case for my Engie.

Basically, I dont want to have to run the full meta event to completion again only to get an item that I can get from a noxious pod on the regular map. If it takes me 30+ attempts to get it like you, than I’ll bite the bullet and just complete the meta once more.

Thanks for clearing this up for me guys!

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

Why not complete the meta then open the 20something pods that pop up afterwards if you dont get the drop?

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Wander.5780

Why not complete the meta then open the 20something pods that pop up afterwards if you dont get the drop?

I did do that, still didnt get a drop in any of them post meta. I made this thread asking if I could get the drop in the pods on a non-post meta map. Regardless, I got it today from the dragon chest after completing the meta again so it’s all good.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I did do that, still didnt get a drop in any of them post meta. I made this thread asking if I could get the drop in the pods on a non-post meta map. Regardless, I got it today from the dragon chest after completing the meta again so it’s all good.

Yes.

My second most recent one did take between 30 to 40 pods though …

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Honestly, if you’re searching for any of those parts found in noxious pods, but also drop from the end chest, it seems to be better and cheaper just to wait for the end chest rather than take a gamble with the noxious pods.

Maybe my RNG is aweful, but twice now I’ve used more than half my available machetes (more than 30 each time) and loads of time searching for the shield item and the GS item. While a friend gets his hammer item on the third noxious pod. It’s crazy! For the gs I spent 2 hours farming on my guardian and got nothing, then I came back with my necro and got it on the 5th pod. I thought maybe I’d have better luck opening pods with the weapons intended class. Now Im working on the druid Staff, so I started with 40 machetes and my ranger…40 machetes later my theory isn’t holding water. To boot, my friend got his hammer item on a ranger…

And yes, each time, including my friends experience it was the only collection active and the last thing needed to complete the collection.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

(edited by HazyDaisy.4107)

Ayrilana.1396

Honestly, if you’re searching for any of those parts found in noxious pods, but also drop from the end chest, it seems to be better and cheaper just to wait for the end chest rather than take a gamble with the noxious pods.

Maybe my RNG is aweful, but twice now I’ve used more than half my available machetes (more than 30 each time) and loads of time searching for the shield item and the GS item. While a friend gets his hammer item on the third noxious pod. It’s crazy! For the gs I spent 2 hours farming on my guardian and got nothing, then I came back with my necro and got it on the 5th pod. I thought maybe I’d have better luck opening pods with the weapons intended class. Now Im working on the druid Staff, so I started with 40 machetes and my ranger…40 machetes later my theory isn’t holding water. To boot, my friend got his hammer item on a ranger…

And yes, each time, including my friends experience it was the only collection active and the last thing needed to complete the collection.

You’re on the unlucky end of the spectrum it seems. I unlocked all of the collections at once and got everything within 3 or so runs. I’m sure the average is somewhere between our experiences.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The rate isn’t too bad though.

For you maybe, for me the rate is terrible. I haven’t gotten a single collection from pods in DS yet and I’ve opened LOADs of pods while the collection was active. I always get my components from the final chest of the meta. It’s really annoying that you have to do the meta twice to get, one to buy the plated weapon and then one more time to get the component, because even if you buy the plated armor before you loot the chest, you won’t get the component.

Still, 2 DS metas per collection is much faster than playing the terrible RNG of the pods.

Ayrilana.1396

For you maybe, for me the rate is terrible. I haven’t gotten a single collection from pods in DS yet and I’ve opened LOADs of pods while the collection was active. I always get my components from the final chest of the meta. It’s really annoying that you have to do the meta twice to get, one to buy the plated weapon and then one more time to get the component, because even if you buy the plated armor before you loot the chest, you won’t get the component.

Still, 2 DS metas per collection is much faster than playing the terrible RNG of the pods.

Pods spawn in each of the lanes and don’t require you to do the meta.

There will be players who have very bad luck and those that have very good luck.

HazyDaisy.4107

Im half convinced I have the worst luck in game, despite the fact my MF is close to 200.

I forget which collection it was for, but the smokescreen claw. Yeah, I killed the same two respawning smokescales (a vet and a regular) in auric basin for 3 hours straight one night before I got my claw. Meanwhile, 1 person comes up to help after me and my smokescales had already gone toe to toe for 10 rounds, that person got their claw after 2 rounds and left. An hour and a half into it, a friend comes and helps, he gets a claw after a few rounds and me, still a big fat zip.

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

There will be players who have very bad luck and those that have very good luck.

I know pods spawn outside of the meta but if I did 3 full metas, opened every single pod I could find and still got nothing, then there is a serious problem with the “rate”.

I know. It’s like this with every single “item in a box” so far for me. My high score is 210 lockpicks without a single Ambrite Fossil drop, yes I COUNTED them all. That was the main reason I gave up on Dry Top as a zone completely. Fortunately, for the Machined collection I can get it with 100% chance from the final chest which is awesome for people like me that the RNG doesn’t like at all.

Also, I’ve been farming chests in TD (8 chests on my path, I know there are more) on 4 characters very often, that’s about 32 chests per day…. Needless to say my drop rate is abysmal there too.

So excuse me if I have a problem when someone says “the rate isn’t bad”, my experience from anything that is inside any type of chest is just terrible.

Ayrilana.1396

I know pods spawn outside of the meta but if I did 3 full metas, opened every single pod I could find and still got nothing, then there is a serious problem with the “rate”.

I know. It’s like this with every single “item in a box” so far for me. My high score is 210 lockpicks without a single Ambrite Fossil drop, yes I COUNTED them all. That was the main reason I gave up on Dry Top as a zone completely. Fortunately, for the Machined collection I can get it with 100% chance from the final chest which is awesome for people like me that the RNG doesn’t like at all.

Also, I’ve been farming chests in TD (8 chests on my path, I know there are more) on 4 characters very often, that’s about 32 chests per day…. Needless to say my drop rate is abysmal there too.

So excuse me if I have a problem when someone says “the rate isn’t bad”, my experience from anything that is inside any type of chest is just terrible.

No need to be defensive. I wasn’t trying to dismiss what you’ve been experiencing as far as drop rates. It’s just you’re on what is likely the very unlucky end of the spectrum whereas a player, on average, would have much better luck. Could something be done for those who are expecting what you have been? Possibly.

HazyDaisy.4107

The thing is, it’d be ok if the RNG game actually felt random. But, these people that experience the unlucky RNG every single time they go to collect an item have gotten used to the fact that they need to save up their container opening devices, get a big old cup of Joe and settle in for a long, drawn out process. It never seems to be quick for us and it never feels random when you’re seemingly the only one to always get excluded from the precious shiny. While your map mates go on to playing you sit there farming. While they get their item and say, oh cool, when you get yours, you raise your hands and shout FINALLY, now bedtime.

Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Most people, unsurprisingly, have average luck and don’t post about it in /map or /forum. Only people who get lucky (in the RNG sense) and unlucky tend to make a note of it.

My usual fractal group includes a guy who tends to kick and scream before grudgingly joining us. He is, of course, the one who gets ascended drops, which sounds exceedingly lucky (since it is). On the other hand, he plays a lot more WvW and gets little to nothing beyond blues & greens there, which sounds exceedingly unlucky, although it’s probably typical, considering that there are long periods of times without many drops.

tl;dr RNG always feels un-random, because we only view it through the limited view of our own lenses

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”