Maguuma Masteries and Spider exp farming

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I wonder if people who have been farming these spiders for exp to grind out their masteries will be the same to complain about the lack of content until raids come out. I know, every player is allowed to play the way they want, but man… we’ve been doing so many boring farms (cough SW) that I’m actually surprised someone found a way to repeat the same scheme for the NEW MAPS. It’s understandable to farm CoF for Central Tyria because the maps are old and most of us wanted something fresh, the new maps however…

I had a blast when I got Updraft, and the slow pace I’m playing really adds up for the fun factor. Everything I see, the little details, it’s all new and I do want to spend as much time I can as possible in the new maps, and it was kind of disappointing that at times Verdant Brink looked pretty empty (no one capturing rally points). It seems like people want to rush all the maps… I’ve been doing map completion here and there, enjoying the new systems, and this friend asked me if I wanted to farm spiders and then he explained to me how it worked, and I thought with myself “oh wow, that must be… uh… efficient? I guess?”.

Anyone else taking their time to really appreciate all these new maps, without rushing stuff?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

and then he explained to me how it worked

go oooooonn…

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Where’s this Spider Farm? I mean, I’ve been having a lot of fun, but “having fun don’t pay the bills.” I spent last night finishing off the story, and in completing the story chapters for both of the last two maps, I only gained half a bar’s progress towards Stealth Gliding, which is still two tiers from the end of that line. The XP grind is REAL. If there’s an efficient way to speed things up, I’d very much love that, since a lot of the things I haven’t been able to do yet require me to get things like Ley Line Gliding and Itzel stuff, and I’m nowhere close at the current rate.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I’m curious I admit. I generally can’t stand that kind of grind, but we have guild missions tonight to take our guild hall, trying to finish exalted markings to participate but I’ve had much less time to play this week, so I’m stuck with about a third of it to do in around 4 hours if I’m lucky.

They will grind out everything in a couple weeks, and then complain there’s nothing to do, as you say, except “the same stale events” despite having maybe barely scratched the surface of new maps.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Zaroua.2714

Zaroua.2714

I don’t know about this “spider farm” but there’s a spider area south of the hylek village in verdant brink with a good amount of fast respawning veteran spiders. If you can kill them quickly and efficiently, they’re really good xp. Of course during the first few days of HoT I didn’t bother to farm them except when they were worth their full exp, which was a bit shy of 4k a pop with celebration booster and food/oil.

That’s still nothing to the exp you get form the Chak Stronghold though. Go there and solo (or form a group if you don’t belong to the kitten club) the two events every time they happen and you’ll get about 130k exp for 15 minutes of work every 40-45 minutes.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Evidently “boring farm” is actually a code phrase for “want it right now, more than I want to do a variety of things for fun”.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Evidently “boring farm” is actually a code phrase for “want it right now, more than I want to do a variety of things for fun”.

Evidently, you’re missing the point, which is not “right here, right now”.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I’ve got 100% completion on verdant brink, and only need poison mastery and ley line gliding to get a few hero points and complete the other three maps.

I have participated in literally every event in the expansion.

it’s not new anymore for me, and the only thing stopping me from getting it complete is the few million exp that blocks me from the masteries.

it’s not a fun endgoal, it’s a shadow looming over me, I can’t move on and do what I want like getting achievements because of this stupid xp grind.

I would rather do a boring farm for a few hours to get it over with, than some fun events that I will grow to hate from endless repetition.

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

If players would rather grind out on spiders to get their Elite spec than jump through these gated hoops, then I think you’d have to look at the design over the players.

Clearly the alternative is either, longer, more boring or doesn’t provide a sense of satisfaction. Not to mention people wanted to play the elite specs and do the content not the other way around.

Once these guys have unlocked their spec, they’ve got plenty to play after, with the spec they really wanted, to be honest it’s kind of a smart idea.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

People aren’t grinding e-specs on spiders, you can’t as spiders do not provide Hero Points.

They’re grinding mastery exp.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Again, I would like NOTHING more than to be able to do “a variety of things for fun” and still progress my masteries in a reasonable amount of time, but any time I’m “doing a variety of things for fun” I am pulling in HORRIBLE mastery rates, like “it would take me six months to a year to max out at these rates” rates, and so if I’m going to be “doing a variety of things for fun,” I would rather it to be AFTER I’ve earned all the masteries needed to maximize that experience, rather than before.

If they want to reduce the XP grind though, that would be VERY welcome, because not having to XP farm would be even better.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Faoiltiarna.4271

Faoiltiarna.4271

Wow u consider farming events for exp an actual content? End game content especially, is something u do when u max out your character. So how can you call levelling masteries an actual content? It is just a mindless grinding of necessary exp this way or another. What we could call content are fractals, raids, dungeons, wvw. Levelling masteries is not content. It is an obstracle on your way to maxing your character and account.

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

What’s being described as “farming” or “grind” here is what I call playing an MMO. One of the best things about HoT (and there are a lot of good things) is the freedom it gives to play how you want. I like to wander and explore and hunt, the way I used to do in MMOs ten or fifteen years ago. HoT encourages and supports this playstyle in a way I haven’t seen for a good while.

Wandering the byeways of the jungle killing everything that moves is immensely relaxing and enjoyable to me, far more so than chasing events, although that’s fun in its own way too. When I come across a place filled with spiders or chakk or tigers or anything else that hasn’t been touched for a while then it’s as exciting as finding a Mastery Point or a vista.

One player’s grind is another player’s content and vice versa. HoT is doing an excellent job of demonstrating that.

Posted by: Revilrad.1962

Revilrad.1962

RIP Orga VB. Toxic Community of GW2 found yet another way to kitten into the fun of organizing maps and pushing the meta events. Every Commander Tag which is used for this ways should be taken away immediately.

Also good luck for late players finding a arganized Verdant Brink to get tehir achis done.

GJ gold per minute minded players.

Incoming “live and let live comments.”

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

^ That almost looks like “play how I want or else you’re kittened”. God forbid someone else wants to do something else.
Nice mindset, it’ll get you far.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

so the 2 sides are thus:

side 1: farm this series of events(which just make you kill mobs over and over again) that give no xp per mob, to obtain the xp from the event at the end+tiny amount of reward loot.

Side 2: Farm this particular set of mobs over and over ,getting xp and loot per kill that adds up to the same or better amount…

Soooooooo…. you both are farming mobs, just under a different title and you hate each other because of it… sounds rational. Glad we cleared that up…

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

I did this for around 20 mins today. Never again.

At least now I know why the price of powerful venom sacs have tanked.

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

hope the other t6 mats tank too… i might make another legendary.