Make entire game more challenging.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

It’s really easy atm. Like, the difficulty of traversing heart of thorns content should be the difficulty of level 1-25 zones (make thiefs do pocket raptor dmg), and it should get harder from there. You wouldn’t even need to balance anything else, the price of tough to get goods would go way up.

Right now open world is mostly a waste of time and not an accomplishment. The only thing hard is finding the direction you’re supposed to go for new users, outside of that its 80 levels of auto attacking trashmobs.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

It’s really easy atm. Like, the difficulty of traversing heart of thorns content should be the difficulty of level 1-25 zones (make thiefs do pocket raptor dmg), and it should get harder from there. You wouldn’t even need to balance anything else, the price of tough to get goods would go way up.

Right now open world is mostly a waste of time and not an accomplishment. The only thing hard is finding the direction you’re supposed to go for new users, outside of that its 80 levels of auto attacking trashmobs.

Did you do raids, Migraine, completed fractal Ad Infitum?
If you want difficulty, do some of that. If you find that easy, come back and complain to your hearts’ content.

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

If you want difficulty, do some of that. If you find that easy, come back and complain to your hearts’ content.

But I want the games main content to be fun. Fractals seem to just be gear/grinding, raids are alright, but a small part of the game.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Like, the difficulty of traversing heart of thorns content should be the difficulty of level 1-25 zones

It once was, back during the original beta. Much like the snipers in HoT’s beta, if you failed to dodge special attacks, such as an ettin’s ground smash or a moa’s flurry of pecks, you were dead. GW2 was intended to be difficult, but it was obviously going to be bad for business, so it was all nerfed with the intention of increasing the difficulty over time. The low level zones were later further nerfed for the new player experience. The problem is, most MMO players aren’t gamers and play very casually, which is why solo content is almost always a joke in MMOs. Furthermore, those coming from traditional MMOs have been trained in the art of facetanking, whereas GW2 was designed mobile and reactionary action combat.

If you want to play the game at the “normal” difficulty, you’ll basically need to play in +5~10 level areas from 1~20, then scale it down to +2~5 by 80. Some professions are far easier than others however, so adjust accordingly. Necro for example was the easiest I’ve ever played with all the life leech and natural protection, so I went +10~15 and only wearing whatever zerker gear the personal story gave. Damage scales by level difference, so you’ll deal increasingly less and take more from higher levels. The opposite is usually the case however, since you’re generally downscaled and a higher level when playing normally.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

But I want the games main content to be fun. Fractals seem to just be gear/grinding, raids are alright, but a small part of the game.

You are not alone in wanting the entire game to be more challenging in order to be “fun.” Keep in mind, though, that “fun” is highly subjective and not everyone is here for the challenge (as others have alluded to). Making the entire game more challenging would serve to make some happy but would also likely cause others to leave. It all kind of depends on where Anet wants to define that sweet spot in terms of audience.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

“I want the game to be more fun for me. I don’t care about everyone else.”

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If you understood the history of this game, you would know why this won’t ever happen. You see, the game is built to appease the people that want the opposite thing you are asking for, so to change it would be to ignore the whole business case this game was centered around.

Contrary to what some people think or say in this thread, the game was never hard or challenging. There were some bright spots that could get you if you weren’t paying attention or aware, but that didn’t make they hard … So in short, the game was designed with this particular difficulty in mind; it’s no accident and to change it would mean significantly bad things for veterans of this game.
/thread.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Keep whatever quality of weapons you have, but drop your armor down to Masterwork (green). If that still doesn’t make the content challenging enough, then drop your trinkets down to green, too.

~EW

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Higher difficulty is always welcome. Faceroll easy is getting old fast

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Higher difficulty is always welcome. Faceroll easy is getting old fast

The problem is what you consider faceroll someone else considers too difficult to solo already. The game’s difficulty will never be perfect for everyone, the trick is to get it in the best spot for as many people as possible, and I think its done a great job at that. A few maps could be adjusted some (especially starter zones, they are too easy imo in that they don’t teach you anything important about how to fight. You can pretty much facetank everything in them without even needing a heal)

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Please remember that level 1-25 zones are the habitat of brand new players just figuring out how to use abilities.

Subjecting a brand new level 5 player to pocket raptors is not good for player retention.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Please remember that level 1-25 zones are the habitat of brand new players just figuring out how to use abilities.

Subjecting a brand new level 5 player to pocket raptors is not good for player retention.

You’re right of course, but it would be entertaining to watch. lol

OriOri.8724

I do remember that, which is the exact reason I think they need to be made harder. Not pocket raptors level of harder, but harder nonetheless. I believe that the faceroll nature of the starter zones is where a lot of players who struggle in PvE fail to learn how to fight with GW2 mechanics in mind. This games combat system wasn’t designed around the notion of tanking damage and healing through it (or just finishing the fight before you die and going out of combat), but with a much more active playstyle in mind. Dodging attacks, out maneuvering enemies in PvE (which is incredibly important imo), knowing when to interrupt and which of your skills interrupt.

Right now starter zones don’t teach you how to do any of that. They teach you how to sit there and kill an enemy before it kills you, taking every one of its hits. Add that most enemies in starter zones attack slower (in my experience) than enemies in higher leveled zones, and its no wonder that a lot of players struggle. The game never forced them to learn how to fight with its combat system, and then it just dumps it on them all at once, and they get frustrated at how difficult the game suddenly became.

And you can forget about players learning combo fields and finishers nowadays….. I played TT a few weeks ago and the zerg of 30 people had trouble stacking 25 might…..

TL;DR Starter zones are so easy that they encourage bad practices in combat and don’t teach players how to work with GW2 combat system. Which leads to them struggling with it at higher levels, which leads to unhappy players. Making starter zones a bit more difficult could potentially change that and lead to players learning when to dodge and how to outmaneuver the mobs in PvE

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I like the idea of the challenge level described in the OP. The opportunity to play it in core Tyrian maps is particularly appealing.

Even more appealing is having a game to play at all, and I am not at all certain that GW2 would survive the OP’s suggestion.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Right now starter zones don’t teach you how to do any of that.

There are 80 levels worth on content that can be used to teach that. Frontloading mechanics will just overly frustrate new players. Things need to be taught incrementally not all at once.

And starter zones are not excessively easy for truly new players. I distinctly remember dying to a herd of cows in Queensdale when I was new and gw2 isn’t even my first mmorpg.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not sure one can play very effectively against foes 10 or more levels higher. One can only inflict glancing blows, no critical damage, can inflict no conditions whatsoever, and can not rally.

I guess that would be a challenge. But, would take forever.

OriOri.8724

Right now starter zones don’t teach you how to do any of that.

There are 80 levels worth on content that can be used to teach that. Frontloading mechanics will just overly frustrate new players. Things need to be taught incrementally not all at once.

And starter zones are not excessively easy for truly new players. I distinctly remember dying to a herd of cows in Queensdale when I was new and gw2 isn’t even my first mmorpg.

And yet by the time most players leave the starting zones bad habits are already ingrained in them and they have to unlearn them before learning how to fight with GW2s combat system. I still think that starter zones should be more difficult, as there really isn’t much incremental difficulty in this game. Starter zones and the next ones are trivial. Level 75-80 zones can pose a problem if you don’t understand GW2s combat system but are otherwise easy, and then HoT maps are just scaled way higher up than core tyria (which is why so many people complained. There wasn’t any sort of ramp up in difficulty to prepare them for what combat under the GW2 system could be like when its full potential was used.). That same ramp up happens between starter zones and high level zones in core tyria. Solution is to make starter zones more difficult.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Starting zones were dumbed down because player retention was below industry averages and their testing found out that dumbing down increased retention. That’s why they put in the New Player Experience back then. Maybe later zones can be made harder but not starter zones.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I think you won´t get your upscaling anytime soon, OP. HoT was severely downgraded, the new ls maps are even more easy. If anet wants to change something about the core maps, let them reflect how the risen are slowly driven back and replaced with Mushroom or Mordrem looking for revenge or salvation, or how the nighmare court falls apart or gets new leaders.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

You have no idea how many people would quit/complain. I’m not one of them, but I know it’s true.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

No

We tried asking for more difficult content and raids before and lets just say…

They failed on both accounts for raids we didn’t start really hammering the need home until after Tower of Nightmares because that’s how raiding in this game should have been.

As for difficult content in GW1 we had the story path to which you basically had an easy time playing the core story. Then you had maps that the story path didn’t even touch at all and those were the difficult maps the ones people had to pay runners to traverse through. They gave us HoT instead which was way to hard to be on any sort of story path and way to easy to be deemed difficult content. Hot should have had additional maps not tied to the story with greater difficulty and people who only wanted to complete the story wouldn’t have to run through pocket raptors and smokescales.

Tons of people did quit and there are indeed less people on these very forums. Some still don’t understand that the story path for HoT was way to difficult in regards to any game as other games know to use roads and fewer mobs on the paths main story campaigns take through a map.

The fact they haven’t fixed it or done something as simple as move a few pocket raptor mobs to different parts of the map speaks volumes about Anet.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Even tho i agree with you that the open world side of the game is quite easy dont forget open worlds puprose isnt to be challenging its to push a narative and immerse the player through events story which the player gets rewarded for participating. That is only one part of the game i strongly believe the main game consists of dungeons/raids/fractals/pvp/wvw and a little of open world but because open world is well open… that means that not everyone can do it as easil as you can :/thats why the rest of the parts of the main game i listed earlier have a scale of some short.

What ill say now is quite diff from hat you suggest but i would agree if they could make the open world or the whole game in general harderif that helped ppl form friendships and communities to complete (like dungeons and raids in vanilla wow or ff14) and not just an lfg where you get matchmade with ppl you wont bother remembering but thats quite a diff thing from what you suggest.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

No

They failed on both accounts for raids we didn’t start really hammering the need home until after Tower of Nightmares because that’s how raiding in this game should have been.

As for difficult content in GW1 we had the story path to which you basically had an easy time playing the core story. Then you had maps that the story path didn’t even touch at all and those were the difficult maps the ones people had to pay runners to traverse through. They gave us HoT instead which was way to hard to be on any sort of story path and way to easy to be deemed difficult content. Hot should have had additional maps not tied to the story with greater difficulty and people who only wanted to complete the story wouldn’t have to run through pocket raptors and smokescales.

Tons of people did quit and there are indeed less people on these very forums. Some still don’t understand that the story path for HoT was way to difficult in regards to any game as other games know to use roads and fewer mobs on the paths main story campaigns take through a map.

The fact they haven’t fixed it or done something as simple as move a few pocket raptor mobs to different parts of the map speaks volumes about Anet.

the raid maps as well and lvling world updates are hots maps tho :/

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Core Tyria just isn’t designed with much difficulty in mind. The loot’s mostly bad, the events can be goofy and enemies are lame.

I think that effort would be better put towards breathing some life into the post-launch Level 80 maps. It’d be nice for Southsun, Dry Top and Silverwastes to be updated to reflect the current story, or have some new developments of their own.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

These threads alway make me laugh. So HoT is easy? Sire it is after playing it for a year. You now know what the mobs do. You know the best way to fight them, when HoT first came out i was dead way more than I would have liked, but then I was learning. Look at how easy raids are for some people now they know what they are doing. Things are only hard when you do know what you are doing. That is the truth of games, if you don’t know that yet, then you can’t have been playing games for that long, or not been paying attention.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

All pve is doomed to be easy in mmos. Everything in pve will always have a solution that can be memorised and applied without thinking and in some cases without even looking. This isn’t a big deal in single player games where you aren’t expected to stick with the same content for months or even years at a time; but in a persistent world like an mmo it’s inevitable that absolutely every piece of content will eventually degenerate to zero difficulty.

It’s simply a waste of time to make hard pve in mmos. Single player games will always be infinitely better at it.

Posted by: Finalfreefall.8247

Finalfreefall.8247

Fighting through the game normally isn’t difficult.

Fighting your way through a Harathi camp and making sure that the slaves get out safely is kitten near impossible sometimes.

I think Gw2 set up different goals at the start, to create sideways content that would be difficult to complete, while not getting in the way of the existing content. That said, it hasn’t always worked out.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

No

the raid maps as well and lvling world updates are hots maps tho :/

Raid maps don’t count they’re only Raid maps if you could walk solo into a raid map akin to lets say Tower of nightmares and have some high risk and high reward scaleable world pve gameplay with maybe some sort of Vanquish mechanic for number of kills before you get killed or something it would count.

The new maps still require you to tread through the old maps its tied together through story. New players will not only have no idea about teh story since they missed season one and only got a scarlet recap having no idea about the character calling you boss seconds after killing Zhaitan. They also have to go through season 2 and HoT. The only character I know the introduction for is Tiami since I played the marionette section I have no connection to the others or have any will to look up their histories because they will always remain empty shells. HoT is a failure on all levels polishing up the back end doesn’t change the fact they have to retain players making their way through the front end. Which according to a near split in their earnings report isn’t working out to well.

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Yeah, well… HoT was kind of difficult before you had unlocked all the mastery, didn’t know all the routes on all the maps and knew how to skip all the content and pick the fights you want to fight rather than be forced into encounters.

I remember some grievance the first few days playing HoT… Getting used to Pocket Raptors, vines that smack you off the cliffside to your inevitable doom (since you hadn’t unlocked gliders yet, or couldnt glide forever, or couldn’t use updrafts), snipers that leaves trails of death, sudden meat-grinding mordrem stalkers, etc etc…

But, you grow used to it, and you adapt, and once that happens, old content will be old content, and old content is easy.

Wait for new content and the next gimmick, and prepare for the cycle to repeat.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

If you want to do some hard open world events, try to do Nebo terrace, I’ve never seen a successful defence.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

If you want to do some hard open world events, try to do Nebo terrace, I’ve never seen a successful defence.

My thoughts exactly. Hilariously over-scaled.

In all seriousness, though, if they nerfed the elite specs to not be as overpowered as they are compared to core, you’d see a substantial increase in difficulty in PvE.

Elite specs trivialize like 90% of the game’s content. I can even solo some meta event champions on these things that would be impossible otherwise.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Answer : No.

“Challenging” does not equal fun.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Sadly, GW2 will never be what you’d consider challenging. The most challenging thing in GW2 is hunting for titles and trying to create a pretty character.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Subjective.

Challenging can be fun, it’s just not what you find fun.

As much as i would love to agree with the OP, previous and some current experience says people hate change and “challenge” so much so that they either quit or forum warrior to nerf it to the floor.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Subjective.

Nope, not subjective but objective.

Challenging can be fun, true, but not always – and at the same time, non-challenging content can be fun as well. Those two factors are separate.

So, “challenging” does not equal “fun”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

There is nothing challenging in this game and people are already complaining so don’t get your hopes up.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It all depends on the “challenge”, because the word means different things for different people. Same with “no challenge”, it means different things. For example, some people when they read the word challenge they probably think of something hard like a Raid or something, I disagree with that.

For me I find a game fun when it’s an actual video game that I actively PLAY, a game that makes you think, that makes you better as you play, a game that challenges you. I mean, why have this active combat system, a character building system, and minimum 10 skills on your bar if you are only using 1 or 2 of those while standing still?
I find zero fun when I’m not playing a video game but watching it “play” on its own, there is nothing exciting about setting your character to do something then stop actively playing and just watch. That’s boring.

As for examples:
I’d say that fighting the Jade Armors in Ember Bay is a good challenge, they make you think and actually use your skill bar, or the combat system of this game.
On the other hand I’d say that fighting the Sloth Queen is a horrible, boring, experience, that lacks any kind of challenge.

I grew up playing FPS, RTS and RPG games, overcoming “challenges” used to be what gaming was all about. Anyone that plays different games knows this and for them Challenge equals fun. I guess for the mobile game or farmville population that is now coming to MMORPGs that’s not true at all.

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

Posted by: Mushin.3928

Mushin.3928

This is yet another thing that the original Guild Wars did better. It had Hard Mode (https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hard_mode).

It could be added to GW2 in a straightforward way; just run a set of map instances for open world that are in hard mode, and a set that are “normal”. Players need to explictly opt-in to hard mode, and new accounts trying it out receive a stern warning that they might get rekt.

I also think, however, that HoT content should be toned down in “normal” mode. Its just super jarring for a player who comes out of Orr/Silverwastes and then goes into Verdant Brink, even after all the HoT nerfs. But, Hard Mode for HoT should be significantly more difficult than what is implemented right now; probably requiring 2+ person group play unless you are really good.

Some day we may rediscover these game design gems of the past! Lets not even get started on Build Diversity.

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

HoT didn’t sell as well as expected. That was confirmed in NCSoft’s financial reports. Following the disappointing returns from HoT the whole direction of the game was shifted away from the increased difficulty that had been tried in HoT back towards the more casual approach the game took before the expansion.

In effect what the OP is asking for was tried a year ago, failed and was reverted. The chances of seeing another ramp up of difficulty either across the board or in the second expansion would therefore seem to be slim. What the HoT experiment suggests is GW2 is not a game ever likely to appeal to hardcore gamers so any attempt to court people with increased levels of difficulty is almost sure to be counterproductive commercially.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

No.

If you want accomplishment, do something worthy of accomplishment – traveling the open world is not, shall never be, was never and should never be a grueling, miserable experience for everyone but top players.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Subjective.

As much as i would love to agree with the OP, previous and some current experience says people hate change and “challenge” so much so that they either quit or forum warrior to nerf it to the floor.

Challenging can be fun, if done right. But it usually isn’t, thus becoming frustrating and discouraging. For all the things ArenaNet does well, challenge is not one of them, and that’s not what drew people to this game as far as I can tell. And the people that wanted challenge got fractals, Heart of Thorns, and raids, so making open world harder seems not only pointless, but the “harder is better” people wanting to impose that on everyone else.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)