Masteries Blog is Up

Masteries Blog is Up

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/

It answers some queries on how hang gliding will work. Also, you get your mastery points showing instead of your level 80 status once you unlock them.

Apparently you can choose what mastery to work on but some will auto-swap depending on what map you are in.

Read on for more!

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Interesting about skill point changes at lvl 80

In fact. all sounds very interesting indeed

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Yeah, I have one concern: Will the Skill point scrolls still work on a lvl 80 character?

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Masteries Blog is Up

Donari.5237

I find something ambiguous: There are two mastery regions, but they also mention fractal mastery. I guess fractal mastery would be under the core world set and be a track you pick to work on while there, since you access fractals in LA?

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I think it would have been a lot better if they would have shown us screenshots of the UI. I guess we’ll have to wait for in-game footage for that..

Masteries Blog is Up

Donari.5237

Well, I hope these blogs don’t count as the “deep dives” we’ve been promised. They are still very summary in nature. But now that the blog is out we might get some dev commentary on details?

@Atlas: I imagine the scrolls will still work since they said “Skill points will be added as rewards across high-level content to offset this change.” Therefore they aren’t stopping 80’s from getting skill points and should allow the scrolls to be one source.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

I think it would have been a lot better if they would have shown us screenshots of the UI. I guess we’ll have to wait for in-game footage for that..

Its been reported that Anet will show us some gameplay tomorrow.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Give me info about revenant already with ul pic!

Masteries Blog is Up

Donari.5237

Eeeee! In the Points of Interest slot? Or just some videos? When where tell me oh do tell me!

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Eeeee! In the Points of Interest slot? Or just some videos? When where tell me oh do tell me!

Points of Interest: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/points-of-interest-heart-of-thorns-gameplay/

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

First question I have is: Is this actually accurate?

The ability to train Masteries is unlocked at level 80 for all players that own Heart of Thorns.

They’ve stated that the upcoming trait system revamp will be linked to the Mastery system. This suggests that the new system is A) Only for those with HoT, and Only works once you’re level 80, meaning no trait unlocking before then. That can’t be right, though. Right?

Second question: Will the Tomes and Scripts of EXP still work for a level 80 once this system is in place? As far as that goes, will EXP boosters? Food?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yep.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/points-of-interest-heart-of-thorns-gameplay/

Expansion Content Designers Steve Hwang and Anthony Ordon are joining me tomorrow on Points of Interest for our first look at Heart of Thorns gameplay!
They’ll venture into the Maguuma Jungle to show you one of the adventures we heard about earlier this week. Plus, they’ll discuss how some of the systems work.

Seems like we will be seeing one of the new Adventures.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Masteries Blog is Up

lordkrall.7241

The ability to train Masteries is unlocked at level 80 for all players that own Heart of Thorns.

They’ve stated that the upcoming trait system revamp will be linked to the Mastery system. This suggests that the new system is A) Only for those with HoT, and Only works once you’re level 80, meaning no trait unlocking before then. That can’t be right, though. Right?

Second question: Will the Tomes and Scripts of EXP still work for a level 80 once this system is in place? As far as that goes, will EXP boosters? Food?

I am not quite sure that is what they actually said.
It was more along the lines that they will remove the current trait system with HoT release and replace it with something that works along the lines of Mastery.

Don’t really see how that implies it being lvl 80 only or require HoT. Only that it will work a bit like the same (such as getting points by doing certain things and then unlock what you want I suppose).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

They say that you can unlock the masteries before lvl80 but not spend them till lvl80 later. Keep in mind that this also acountbound.

I also wonder how they will handle the tomes.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

tomes will probably just give a skill point to a level 80 character like scrolls do. Tomes would still need to be in game though since they can give a level to a non-80 character.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

I just wanna know, if the masteries require map completion, will that be retroactive, or only apply to map completion of the new map.

Masteries Blog is Up

Palador.2170

I am not quite sure that is what they actually said.
It was more along the lines that they will remove the current trait system with HoT release and replace it with something that works along the lines of Mastery.

Don’t really see how that implies it being lvl 80 only or require HoT. Only that it will work a bit like the same (such as getting points by doing certain things and then unlock what you want I suppose).

Oh, I’m (almost) sure there’s information to come along to make it not sound as bad as I think it does. I just think the time for them to add in that extra information is right now. We’ve got the Mastery System post, but what’s said doesn’t apply very well to replacing the trait system. So, the time to sell us on it is now. It’s been … 9 months, right? 10? The wait needs to be over.

And if there is no good news, and what it sounds like is just what it is? Well, better to just get it over with. Rip off that Band-Aid.

Masteries Blog is Up

lordkrall.7241

I just wanna know, if the masteries require map completion, will that be retroactive, or only apply to map completion of the new map.

Yes (this is also said in the very blog post discussed here).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So we will just farm dungeons to gain mastery “levels”?

Masteries Blog is Up

Gobble D Goop.4081

they said some things required will have already been completed by existing players and points will be awarded to players that have done these things already. Though that doesnt answer if existing map completion is in there. This is located about halfway down the article in the paragraph directly above the “What can i get from masteries?” title

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Masteries Blog is Up

Palador.2170

Any old maps used in the Mastery System will likely require you to log in with the character that’s completed that map. So, don’t go deleting any well traveled old characters before logging them in under HoT.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

eh, i was hoping for specific tasks awarding specific points, rather than an exp bar replacement. i mean, the skills you can learn still sound interesting, but the fact that it sounds like you can learn a language by punching mordrem hard enough is a bit disheartening.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Masteries Blog is Up

lordkrall.7241

You still need to unlock them first.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Masteries Blog is Up

Ayrilana.1396

You still need to unlock them first.

That was implied.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

eh, i was hoping for specific tasks awarding specific points, rather than an exp bar replacement. i mean, the skills you can learn still sound interesting, but the fact that it sounds like you can learn a language by punching mordrem hard enough is a bit disheartening.

Agreed. This is a concern of mine as well, and a bit dissapointing, really. I can learn how to hang glide better by exploring the jungle floor? What? I can dive deeper into Fractals by completing Caeladon Forest? Citadel of Flame helps me build Tooth of Frostfang?

I…really don’t know how I feel about this.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I’m so happy that Masteries are 1) account wide and 2) take your past accomplishments into account. It would be so unfair if you didn’t get points for everything you have accomplished so far.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

So instead of gear gating we have map gating. Wanna get to that place in a map? Finish this mastery.

I really wish the gating was kept to cosmetics. That way it’s optional. That was really nice about EotN in GW1. You had to grind rep in order to level up racial skills and earn specific racial gear. It was purely optional. If the grind is light then no big deal.

I never feel like exploring should be gated though so my opinion is tainted.

I like what I am hearing though for the most part. Seems really interesting.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Masteries Blog is Up

lordkrall.7241

Aye, that would make more sense.

But I suppose they want to avoid the whole: “being forced to grind a specific thing in order to level up” or something like that.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Masteries Blog is Up

Gobble D Goop.4081

i wonder if these “more powerful infusions,” unlocked via the fractal masteries, are masterwork infusions.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Masteries Blog is Up

Ayrilana.1396

This is all speculation. Nowhere has Anet specifically stated what content you will and will not have access to due to masteries. For all we know, this could only impact content outside of the core of the game and not just limiting access to maps or whatever.

Masteries Blog is Up

BrunoBRS.5178

Aye, that would make more sense.

But I suppose they want to avoid the whole: “being forced to grind a specific thing in order to level up” or something like that.

i can see their point, but the most appealing aspect of masteries, to me, is gone.

they probably gave up on it because of all the negative feedback towards the new trait system. the trait unlock system was an excellent idea that was horribly implemented. the mastery system was their chance to do it right. create tasks relevant to the mastery you want, rather than repurposing generic tasks (which they’re doing again)

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

I posted this concern in its own tread before I saw it here. it would make more sense to me as well to master specific content by doing that content.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

I really like how that mastery system will work:-)

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Masteries Blog is Up

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Want to get better at hang gliding? Then, umm, hang glide. Seriously, practice makes perfect.

I’m a Geeleiver

Masteries Blog is Up

BrunoBRS.5178

Want to get better at hang gliding? Then, umm, hang glide. Seriously, practice makes perfect.

or, you know, punch a mordrem. or go to ascalon, where you can’t even glide. or a bunch of other unrelated tasks.

Masteries Blog is Up

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

or, you know, punch a mordrem. or go to ascalon, where you can’t even glide. or a bunch of other unrelated tasks.

I don’t think Ascalon will work, since Hang Gliding is definitely a Heart of Maguuma mastery. I was saying, though, that the way you should improve your masteries is by performing them. Hence, hang gliding to improve your hang gliding. I find the concept of smacking dinos to learn a language incredibly stupid.

I’m a Geeleiver

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’m disappointed to hear all of the regions in the core game are getting lumped into one umbrella category, but I understand why it’s being done that way. Other than that, I’m “meh” on the feature without more specifics. It sounds like the HoT mastery track is just a way of gating content to me, and that’s hardly the type of foundation I want this game’s future to be built upon.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Gating for you, progression for me, grind for the other. Can’t satisfy everyone.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

hmmm you need ~341 skill points to craft a legendary. Wonder if that will be lowered or will that remain as is.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Masteries Blog is Up

BrunoBRS.5178

I don’t think Ascalon will work, since Hang Gliding is definitely a Heart of Maguuma mastery. I was saying, though, that the way you should improve your masteries is by performing them. Hence, hang gliding to improve your hang gliding. I find the concept of smacking dinos to learn a language incredibly stupid.

glad we’re on the same page then.

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

They try to gate the abysmall low content of their dlc. With what point will we be disapointed for the next blog post ?

Masteries Blog is Up

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

They try to gate the abysmall low content of their dlc. With what point will we be disapointed for the next blog post ?

Specializations.