Mastery: just a PvE reward track?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

I hope that the Graphical User Interface (GUI) for the masteries is something that is full of eye candy like in Skyrim.

With that said, I am concerned that the new mastery system is basically a reward track like sPvP for PvE. I really hope there is much more than just world bosses and dynamic events to do in order to grind experience to earn mastery points.

For example, the precursor mastery. I really want to see a long and indepth quest change with difficult content to overcome which proves a player’s skill…not the amount of time grinding xp.

Thoughts?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The precursor mastery seems to be along the lines of: “Get to this level of the mastery, which unlocks a collection which you have do to in order to get your precursor”.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I am concerned that the new mastery system is basically a reward track like sPvP for PvE.

That is the impression that everyone is getting so far. Depending on the item you are working for this is actually a good thing in most cases. I think what you are looking for is what is related to the adventures. I too would like some story tightly tied to my rewards. I tend to value those items the most. It is possible that the new pre-cursors will require some of the rewards from the adventures.

Also note the precursor mastery is will only unlock a collection from what the players have gathered so far. You will still need to get all the items for the collection to get the precursor some of those may be specific rewards from specific quests or adventures. Or they may be some items that can only be purchased from specific NPC’s after completing their dynamic event. Then there is the task of getting all the items to craft the legendary from the precursor.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’ve only read that we will be crafting the precursors, once the Mastery line is unlocked/fulfilled. Where can I read about this collection for precursors?

anzenketh.3759

I’ve only read that we will be crafting the precursors, once the Mastery line is unlocked/fulfilled. Where can I read about this collection for precursors?

It was in the PAX announcement.

http://youtu.be/gxLkfXwxLTs?t=35m25s

The mastery system will allow you to build out collections that send you on epic journeys across the world of Guild Wars 2. That once completed will reward you with pre-cursor weapons.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I thought it’ll almost be impossible to complete all of them.

anzenketh.3759

I thought it’ll almost be impossible to complete all of them.

This is the part that has me concerned. I don’t want to have to choose between accessing content A and not working on my legendary for example. This is why it needs to be soft caps or side quests that get locked out.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

I hope that the Graphical User Interface (GUI) for the masteries is something that is full of eye candy like in Skyrim.

not just that, i hope the new maps are as impressive as skyrim, heck, ESO looks better then GW2. (both because of map structure and texture resolution)

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

We actually don’t know how many Mastery points we’ll have access to, how many points are needed to unlock tracks, and how long these tracks will take to complete. It’s possible they’ll keep players working on it for quite a while, but I wouldn’t assume it’s impossible to unlock all of the tracks (after doing every possible Mastery challenge for points).

PvP tracks, for instance, are all available account-wide and permanently once unlocked. The unlock requirements are also fairly simple in these cases (complete dungeon story, complete a specific Area track, etc).

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i think the similarities with the reward tracks stop at “you fill a bar to progress it, and you can choose which bar to fill”.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

With that said, I am concerned that the new mastery system is basically a reward track like sPvP for PvE. I really hope there is much more than just world bosses and dynamic events to do in order to grind experience to earn mastery points.

For example, the precursor mastery. I really want to see a long and indepth quest change with difficult content to overcome which proves a player’s skill…not the amount of time grinding xp.

Thoughts?

They pretty much spelled it out. sPvP and WvW have their unique tracks, PvE will get Mastery. So yeah, it’s the same thing.

As for precursors, it unlocks a collection. That’s the entirety of it. It’s a scavenger hunt, not a quest.

There isn’t really any room for speculation on these points.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

so basically to fill a bar of mastery track I just need to gain exp like I used to? like kill trash mobs or do events in any area?

I’m not sure how that works. But base on what the dev post, to acquire mastery point, you need to do a variety of things, which is not what the OP suggested.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

so basically to fill a bar of mastery track I just need to gain exp like I used to? like kill trash mobs or do events in any area?

I’m not sure how that works. But base on what the dev post, to acquire mastery point, you need to do a variety of things, which is not what the OP suggested.

IT seems you will need to do specific things for that particular track.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Untrue.

There is only one limiter in this system and that is region. There are two regions, Old and New. Points you get in the Old region can only be spent on tracks for the Old region. Points you get in the New region can only be spent on tracks in the New region. Any points from the appropriate region can be spent on any track in that region. Once you’ve unlocked a track by spending points on it you fill it up by gaining xp as normal, within that region. You can’t fill up HoT tracks in Orr.

They covered themselves on that one anyway, because you can’t link tracks from the region you’re not in. It automatically reverts to the appropriate region track.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

BrunoBRS.5178

nope. that would’ve been cool.

the system, as described on the blog is “earn generic ‘mastery points’ by doing specific tasks that can only be done once per account, then use those points to unlock whatever mastery track you want. from there, you use exp gain to progress the unlocked track”

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

For me it looks like the mastery system will be like the trait revamp just for skills.

Before: Play the way you want.
After: Play our kitten content or die.

With Traits 2.0 there is the option to just buy the traits you don’t like to complete with ANets idea of fun.

Unfortunately, this seems not to be an option with Skills 2.0.

Play the way you want seems to be finally completely dead with HoT. Our new overlord is now the “progression content” needed to advance your character.

Pretty low in my books, but we will see.

Also, am I the only one who dislikes the “kitten” meter created with this:

“I am not level 80 anymore, I am level “over9000” on the nerd meter as you can see."
Wow, honestly, I would prefer a gear score…

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

So much hate for something no one has seen or experienced yet. Can’t we just … I don’t know … wait and see????

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Actually, you will have to do specific things — via the collections mechanic. It’s very easy to require someone to have done specific content to get a collection item.

1) Earn MP via achievements (or an achievments-like system that I will still call achievements).
2) Buy the track, slot it, and earn exp for it.
3) When you gain enough exp, you unlock a collection. You then need to do specific content to gain the collection items.

Some tracks will work this way (eg precursors), while others will not.

the system, as described on the blog is “earn generic ‘mastery points’ by doing specific tasks that can only be done once per account, then use those points to unlock whatever mastery track you want. from there, you use exp gain to progress the unlocked track”

BrunoBRS.5178

Actually, you will have to do specific things — via the collections mechanic. It’s very easy to require someone to have done specific content to get a collection item.

1) Earn MP via achievements (or an achievments-like system that I will still call achievements).
2) Buy the track, slot it, and earn exp for it.
3) When you gain enough exp, you unlock a collection. You then need to do specific content to gain the collection items.

Some tracks will work this way (eg precursors), while others will not.

collections aren’t masteries though. the masteries unlock the collections, not the other way around.

there are specific tasks (lots of them), and each of them awards you mastery points that you spend to unlock (not progress) new mastery tracks. since the points are generic, you can spend them on whatever mastery you’re most interested in.

then, you select the mastery you want to progress, and you’ll progress it by earning exp, which, as you all know, isn’t a particularly hard thing to do in GW2.

yes, some collections might earn you mastery points, but you can easily ignore those and earn your points otherwise.