Mastery points

Mastery points

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: HollowDean.5134

HollowDean.5134

Hey! I just wanna know if there’s any other way to get mastery points other than to do achievements? I’m currently “stuck” on 103 and I have no more points to spend. I really hate doing achievements, it ruins the game for me.

Mastery points

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I detest mastery points. It is a haphazard system of forcing you into content you might not like. There is really no logical reason for them. These mastery point activities usually don’t even correspond to the mastery you are achieving.

You character could spend the next 10 years in the HoT maps without learning the language, lore or skills needed to survive in the jungle, but do one idiotic adventure and now he or she suddenly might understand a language………

In my opinion, experience alone should be all that is needed to fill each mastery bar.

Mastery points

Posted by: TheMaverick.6104

TheMaverick.6104

Mastery insights. Ofc… They are connected to achievements though. A lot of the masterypoints will come as you play and come across the right event.

Mastery points

Posted by: BlooDyliCious.5824

BlooDyliCious.5824

Or grab the strongboxes, there are multiple of them on every map and they give some loot. Sure it’s an achievement but the points have to be tied to something.

Mastery points

HollowDean.5134

I just wish they’d do something with xp, like it used to be with hero points. Each time you’d max out xp bar you would get 1 hero point and bar resets. That’s how I got most of my Tyria mastery points.

Mastery points

Posted by: Exclamatory.8351

Exclamatory.8351

I just wish they’d do something with xp, like it used to be with hero points. Each time you’d max out xp bar you would get 1 hero point and bar resets. That’s how I got most of my Tyria mastery points.

When you are maxed out in Mastery points you still get XP and when you max out the bar you get 1 Spirit Shard.

However, there is a catch.

If you are maxed out on Tyria masteries then only the XP you get from Tyria content will be collected for that 1 Spirit Shard. But, if you are not maxed out on HoT masteries (for instance, you don’t have the raid masteries because you don’t raid) then all XP you get from HoT content is wasted.

So basically, once you max out your masteries (for either Tyria, HoT, or Both) all the XP you get is used to get Spirit Shards.

Mastery points

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I detest mastery points. It is a haphazard system of forcing you into content you might not like. There is really no logical reason for them. These mastery point activities usually don’t even correspond to the mastery you are achieving.

You character could spend the next 10 years in the HoT maps without learning the language, lore or skills needed to survive in the jungle, but do one idiotic adventure and now he or she suddenly might understand a language………

In my opinion, experience alone should be all that is needed to fill each mastery bar.

experience doesnt work, because it show you did anything specific. you could just grind one event, and then nothing else in the map serves a purpose.

however, i think they should be a lot more extra mastery points, because once you get the exploration, and event related ones, you are generally left with a lot of irksome ones, that probably dont really represent overall mastery.

or rather, there should be a lot less mastery points required to max masteries.

Mastery points

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I really hate doing achievements, it ruins the game for me.

Could you explain what you mean by this? Achievments by themselves aren’t really a specific activity but just this game’s method of listing stuff you’ve done in game. Whether it’s reaching a certain character level, exploring a certain area, taking part in a specific event, channeling a mastery insight, finishing a step in the story, or finding a bunch of knicknacks (tied together through a collection), the achievement panel really only gives you (and the game) a way to track whether you’ve “been there, done that” or not. The activities that are tracked through achievements are as varied as anything you can do in game.

Have you played all the stories available (personal, HoT, living world season 2+3)? Explored the map and taken part in events you come across? Explored the maps for hidden items and places? If you don’t want the guidance of the achievement log to get hints as to where mastery points are located, going out into the world of Tyria really is the only way to do it .

Most importantly: just do whatever you enjoy. I rarely check the achievement log, and achievements still get done more often than not, without me worrying about them at all. This game is great that way, that you get most of what’s available without the need to farm for anything specifically.

Mastery points

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure how many, if any, of these don’t have an Achievement tied to them, but here is a list of the 252 Mastery Point unlocks available. Good news, you have 149 to choose from to attain more Mastery Points. You only need 83 more to unlock everything, so there is a lot of leeway (66 extra) to pick and choose.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Good luck.

Mastery points

HollowDean.5134

Could you explain what you mean by this? Achievments by themselves aren’t really a specific activity but just this game’s method of listing stuff you’ve done in game. Whether it’s reaching a certain character level, exploring a certain area, taking part in a specific event, channeling a mastery insight, finishing a step in the story, or finding a bunch of knicknacks (tied together through a collection), the achievement panel really only gives you (and the game) a way to track whether you’ve “been there, done that” or not. The activities that are tracked through achievements are as varied as anything you can do in game.

Have you played all the stories available (personal, HoT, living world season 2+3)? Explored the map and taken part in events you come across? Explored the maps for hidden items and places? If you don’t want the guidance of the achievement log to get hints as to where mastery points are located, going out into the world of Tyria really is the only way to do it .

Most importantly: just do whatever you enjoy. I rarely check the achievement log, and achievements still get done more often than not, without me worrying about them at all. This game is great that way, that you get most of what’s available without the need to farm for anything specifically.

I loved first season of LS, then came S2 and I did that as well, but I only did it once. If I go to my achiev panel and look at season 2 LS, I see 8 Tyria MP I can get, but I need to complete all achievements. That’s so stupid to me. I feel forced to do it if I want those points.
Under HoT 4 acts (story), again, bunch of achievements for only 4 points. I know each HoT map also has bunch of achievement, and I’ve done some of them, but not all of them.

Mastery points

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I loved first season of LS, then came S2 and I did that as well, but I only did it once. If I go to my achiev panel and look at season 2 LS, I see 8 Tyria MP I can get, but I need to complete all achievements. That’s so stupid to me. I feel forced to do it if I want those points.
Under HoT 4 acts (story), again, bunch of achievements for only 4 points. I know each HoT map also has bunch of achievement, and I’ve done some of them, but not all of them.

Tyria mastery points are a bit tighter to get, mostly because they got added retroactively.

HoT mastery points are all over the place. Someone already linked to the wiki and there is tons of guides out there which help with locating the easy mastery points. Some are as easy as running up to them and collecting them via channel or chest opening, others require minimum effort in easy adventures (note that the HoT adventures range from “easy, I did it first try” to “this is impossible”).

Mastery points

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Hey! I just wanna know if there’s any other way to get mastery points other than to do achievements? I’m currently “stuck” on 103 and I have no more points to spend. I really hate doing achievements, it ruins the game for me.

For HoT points:

Finish the HoT story, look up the Dulfy guides on how to reach all of the mastery insights on the 4 HoT maps and the 5 new LWS3 maps. Then look up the Dulfy guides on how to get the strongboxes in the 4 HoT maps. This should give you quite a few more points.

For core tyria points, these are almost all grinding achievements.

Mastery points

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m a little confused. You have to do ‘something’ to get any mastery points — what’s the difference if it’s called an achievement or not?

The unlocks can be divided into a couple of categories. Which type is it that you hate doing? Maybe we can help you get it done or just give you the clothespin you can use in place of holding your nose through the unpleasantness.

• Minor Jumping: you have to reach a certain vantage point. Easy enough if you don’t mind jumping.
  • Story Completion: finish chapter X or episode Y; automatic if you do the stories.
  • Kill A Rat of Unusual Size: kill a boss; automatic if you go around killing stuff, especially big bad bosses.
  • Collect ALL THE THINGS: some sort of collection.
  • Super Mario: adventures.
  • Challenge Mode: do a thing you did before, only do it faster or with one hand tied behind your back.
  • Help ALL THE THINGS: compete a set of events.
  • Do ALL THE THINGS: complete a set of similar goals, e.g. dives or JPs
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”