Mastery points require gear we can't use

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

I assume that ANET picked mastery point achievements to be things they want players to do. I main a single character. Armor and weapons that my class/race can not use are armor and weapons that I can’t use. The following mastery point achievements require me to acquire gear I can’t use:

The Emperor’s New Wardrobe: Soulbind 90 unique pieces of cultural armor.
There are 18 pieces I can use. For the other 72 I have to collect I’m the wrong race and/or class to use it. Four fifths of the armor skins are unusable by my character.

Ascended Accoutrement: Unlock these 18 crafted ascended armor skins in your wardrobe.
6 light armor skins. 6 medium armor. 6 heavy armor. Two thirds of the skins are skins I can not use.

Ambrite Weapon Collection: 16 weapons
Fractal Master: 19 weapons
No class uses all the weapons. Meaning all classes have some they can’t use.

I’d like to know why ANET wants people acquiring gear they can’t use.

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

Those are collection achieves! COLLECTION. Are you complaining that the karmic converter is gated behind weapons you cant use?

What exactly are you complaining about, their are plenty of other ways to acquire tyria masteries, I doubt ANet would be so bold as to require those collections for absolute completion of central tyria

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Because they assume you play more than one character. Since they are account wide achievements, you can get those items on multiple characters.

But if all you do is play one character, and no alts or anything that can wear those, then you’re kind of out of luck.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

You have five character slots, six if you preordered Heart of Thorns as a veteran player. You have the capability to acquire and make use of all of those things. You’re just choosing not to.

There are more Mastery Points in Central Tyria available than you need to max out all available Masteries. So if you really intend to never create another character, then you can just accept that you aren’t going to get the Mastery Point from The Emperor’s New Wardrobe. It won’t make you any weaker, you’ll just need to get a point from somewhere else, like the Karka Queen.

Pre-HoT, due to the restrictions you’re placing on yourself, you were already locked out of titles like Grand Artisan and The Emperor from these achievements. So this shouldn’t even be a new complaint for you, unless you’re just unaware that there’s more Mastery Points available to obtain than you need.

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Those are collection achieves! COLLECTION. Are you complaining that the karmic converter is gated behind weapons you cant use?

Without the karmic converter I just need to spend a bit more time acquiring karma to buy the things I want through it. Without enough mastery points, there are things I simply can not do.

What exactly are you complaining about, their are plenty of other ways to acquire tyria masteries, I doubt ANet would be so bold as to require those collections for absolute completion of central tyria

I’m not complaining. Just confused.

Lets pull up some numbers.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pact_Tyria_mastery_track
32 mastery points for fractal attunement. 19 for pact commander. 19 for legendary precursor crafting. That’s a total of 70 Pact Tyria mastery points.

How many do we have to collect ?
My character has spent 0 due to not earning enough xp in the right area of the game to spend any. I have 36 unspent.
8 available in my story journal achievements
17 in general achievements
5 in collection achievements
A total of 66.

I’ll admit, I wasn’t expecting there to be less points to get than there are to spend. The only discrepancy I can find is that the wiki page lists two ranks in fractal mastery that don’t appear in-game. Remove those and the total points needed is 59.

So not much to complain about. But that makes it more confusing, as the selection of mastery points makes less sense. Why the spoons ?
Why not through dungeon fans a bone and give them a mastery point for dungeon master ?

Lets see which areas ANET is trying to encourage people into actually get more people, and which areas get ignored because the other mastery points are quicker to get.

(edited by Snoring Sleepwalker.9073)

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

I assume that ANET picked mastery point achievements to be things they want players to do. I main a single character. Armor and weapons that my class/race can not use are armor and weapons that I can’t use. The following mastery point achievements require me to acquire gear I can’t use:

There are 18 pieces I can use. For the other 72 I have to collect I’m the wrong race and/or class to use it. Four fifths of the armor skins are unusable by my character.

It’s simple. You have 5 character slots. There are 5 races. Create one of each and buy the cultural armor for each. Delete them again afterwards. You don’t even have to level them, you only need to have the gold (as far as I know; I haven’t levelled a character the traditional way since they changed the levelling experience). If it’s the mastery point you want, then the fact that you bought armor you won’t use (not can’t, but won’t, because you made a choice instead of being forced into these limiting circumstances) shouldn’t matter because it wasn’t the reason you wanted the achievement in the first place.

Ascended Accoutrement: Unlock these 18 crafted ascended armor skins in your wardrobe.
6 light armor skins. 6 medium armor. 6 heavy armor. Two thirds of the skins are skins I can not use.

I have to say, after reading this again my first reply basically goes for all of these. You are limiting yourself because you choose to. That’s fine. But there are as many preferences as there are people playing this game and it’s impossible to take into account all personal preferences. They don’t make this game for individuals only, they make it for the entire community. Besides, there are plenty of achievements with mastery points attached that don’t require you to be a specific race or class at all. Focus on those ones. I don’t understand why people focus so much on the “can’t” and ignore the possibilities they do have. If you always focus on the things you “can’t” do for whatever reason (whether they be by choice or force), your life must be one hell of a frustating experience for you.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

You can unlock weapon/armor skins even if you can’t use it. Cultural armor may be an issue, though.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

I’ll admit, I wasn’t expecting there to be less points to get than there are to spend. The only discrepancy I can find is that the wiki page lists two ranks in fractal mastery that don’t appear in-game. Remove those and the total points needed is 59.

Your math is not at all accurate. Once the fractal masteries that don’t actually exist are removed, the total points needed is 49. There are more than enough points available without needing to complete The Emperor.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

Mastery is not for those who main a single character – period.

Anet has given us a “mastery” system that is all but impossible to get – and solo players can just about forget about getting help from Anet – it would take a guild of at least 500 posting in reddit daily to make them understand their lack of care for the game and this mess of a mastery system.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Seriously, I’m sick and tired of these topics about players pretending something is mandatory to max his masteries when 1) it’s clearly not, 2) they’re still mastery “rookies” or they would know that.

I have spent 166 Mastery points, and I have none of those achievements. And just in case, I’m also missing several Fractals and LS2 achievement points.

EDIT – Oh, the thread was necroed – as if we don’t have enough similar threads already. ><

(edited by Sir Mad.1092)

Posted by: rsimoes.3851

rsimoes.3851

This is a non issue because 1) you can equip those weapons/gears in a different character and it will still count for the achievement 2) you don’t need to be able to equip the gear to unlock its skin for the achievement.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The difference between, “can’t use,” and, “choose to not use,” is significant.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

32 mastery points for fractal attunement. 19 for pact commander. 19 for legendary precursor crafting. That’s a total of 70 Pact Tyria mastery points.

That page shows 11 for fractals. Where the heck did you get 32 from?

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

They don’t. Anet really doesn’t care if people acquire gear, whether they can use it or not.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

There are 17 mastery points more than required to do all Tyria masteries. You can easily ignore the ones you listed…
Drama for nothing

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i didnt do either of those 2 you are complaining about op and i still have 10 spare mastery points for core tyria after maxing core tyria masteries.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

How many do we have to collect ?

19+19+11 is 49 CTMP you would need to max this area.

BUT, if you have no interest in making an old style precursor or a new style legendary you don’t need to bother with the Legendary Crafting section.

If you have no interest in doing fractals then that can be ignored.

That leaves 19 for Pact Commaner, which is actually genuinely useful as it collects all your loot. So do that one first and the others only if you are interested in what they offer.

Just because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to do it.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I think the reason some of those collections got tagged with mastery points is because they are gold sinks. Much of HoT seems to be cynical design rather than pure fun. Just look at the guild halls.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

You also can’t complete all of the core mastery points without playing through the personal story multiple times, picking each race, and picking each of the three orders.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

If really want the Emperor’s New Wardrobe achievement could make 4 new characters, one of each of the races you don’t have yet and get the cultural gear. Going to be expensive though. Net cost if you buy and sell back a tier 3 set is 104g 20s 50c. One for every race would be 521g 2s 50c.
Plus 43g 66s 25c net cost for a full tier 1 and 2 for each race. Total of 564g 68s 75c. I’m sure there are cheaper achievements out there.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You also can’t complete all of the core mastery points without playing through the personal story multiple times, picking each race, and picking each of the three orders.

You can only receive a total of 8 Mastery Points from the Personal Story; one for each level arc, (1 for L10, 1 for L20, 1 for L30, etc.). Thus, one need only play through the Personal Story once.

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

You can only receive a total of 8 Mastery Points from the Personal Story; one for each level arc, (1 for L10, 1 for L20, 1 for L30, etc.). Thus, one need only play through the Personal Story once.

Yep.

Complaining is fine. Making suggestions to fix something that’s bothering you is great. But please, make sure you actually play the game before you start complaining about something.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

You sure about that? According to the achievements page on the Wiki, there are 3 different personal story step achievements for each race, 3 that are order specific, and 4 that are generic.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_%28achievements%29#Crime_and_Punishment

Yep.

Complaining is fine. Making suggestions to fix something that’s bothering you is great. But please, make sure you actually play the game before you start complaining about something.

I wasn’t complaining, I couldn’t care less about the fact mastery points cannot “all” be acquired on the same character Was simply pointing out, because if the OP is going to complain about mastery points that require more than one character, they might as well cover all the bases rather than just some of them.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You sure about that? According to the achievements page on the Wiki, there are 3 different personal story step achievements for each race, 3 that are order specific, and 4 that are generic.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_%28achievements%29#Crime_and_Punishment

Yep.

I wasn’t complaining, I couldn’t care less about the fact mastery points cannot “all” be acquired on the same character Was simply pointing out, because if the OP is going to complain about mastery points that require more than one character, they might as well cover all the bases rather than just some of them.

Yes, I’m sure. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Note that for the Hero achievements, a mastery point is only awarded the first time a player completes the personal story arc for that level (25 achievements, from which 11 points are obtainable). The 3 Points available, other than the 8 from Personal Story are: Dungeons Discovered, Master of Heroics and Been There, Done That.

Also, the Wiki page you reference directs you to this forum Dev post: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/central-Tyria-mastery-points-non-HOT/first#post5814303

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

I do not have any of the mastery points from the things mentioned and I have all central tyria mastery levels completed.

And it is because they are collections, it wouldn’t be a collection achievement if it only required the light armour just because you only play a single class.

If it was easy they wouldn’t attach a mastery to it xD