Matt Pennebaker - Legendary collection issues

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Just finished reading an article on Dulfy where Matt Pennebaker (working with Linsey Murdoch) was talking about working to fix legendary collections on Reddit recently.

I was concerned about something that he said in the article, specifically; “Fix blockers as soon as I’m made aware of them. Anything that halts your progress is unacceptable and I’ll do everything I can to get it fixed ASAP.

To me, a major blocker is being forced to do any game mode that you don’t agree with, in order to complete the collection needed to advance your building of a precursor. Personally, I’m a PvE guy. I don’t PvP and rarely spend time in WvW or EotM. Yet I’m needing to participate in both of these gameplay modes to advance my collections.

Tell me, why does someone NEED to play these modes if they aren’t agreeable to the player? I’m not buying my precursor from anyone else (I’ve said my piece on that LONG ago) and currently there’s no other way around this collection. Why make someone do something that they don’t want to if they need to get their collection sorted?

Just throwing this out there, I know others are in the same boat and I thought I’d make mention of something that will inevitably irritate me beyond belief.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t know if or how they’ve changed the WvW part but you can buy the PvP items off the trading post.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

No, I’m referring to the Shards of Glory, and the Memories of Battle.

Unless you can buy those of the TP as well…

Just a flesh wound.3589

No, I’m referring to the Shards of Glory, and the Memories of Battle.

Unless you can buy those of the TP as well…

Shards of Glory are on the trading post for about 11 – 12 silver each. Memory of Battle for about 7 silver each.

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/70820-shard-of-glory
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/71581-memory-of-battle

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

In this case blockers are bugs that stop you from progressing further into the collection. Not content that you don’t want to do.

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

They are both purchasable on the TP. The idea behind legendary weapons was that they were a culmination of effort across all game modes. There has been some alleviation of this given the introduction of mode specific legendary’s but that design philosophy is still unlikely to experience dramatic change. It’s not a blocker in regards to Matt’s post, he was referring to anything game related (bugs, exploits, failed events, etc.) that stopped progress, with an emphasis on things that were outside your control.

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I know what he meant, I was taking the point and expanding on it further. There are people that literally do not want to do other modes of content, other than what they’re comfortable with, for whatever reason (ability, lag, uncomfortable with the gameplay, etc.)

And no, I would not have thought either of those items were purchaseable on the TP. They sounded to me like they were items that were only earned, and therefore possibly bound (either soul or account), as a proof of your being in that mode of play, and maybe tradeable with NPC’s for something else as a type of currency or something.

This was only my thinking about these rewards, and I was totally not expecting them to be traded with other players. o.O I didn’t even bother looking on the TP for these.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

OP maybe you should do abit of research before making a thread topic then since pve only gamers are the only ones that can finish legendary crafting in their prefered game mode.

Imo as a pve player that is unfair to them.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Yeah I had to do a bunch of fractals for Astralaria collection, and I absolutely hated every minute of it :-( I had to get guildies to help me (because no one else seemed to want to deal with a noobie like me) and payed a frequent fractal’er to help me with some of the higher fractals because my guildies weren’t able to help at the time, and no one wanted to put up with my horrible skills in fractals. Fortunately my helper guided me through it, and the people that joined the group were ok with taking longer than usual, to complete the fractals.

Speaking of doing game modes you don’t like to play… I was thinking the other day about this… sure there were shards of glory (PvP) and memories of battle (WvW) required and stuff, but those are purchasable from the tp at least. HOWEVER, forcing me to do a game type I REALLY don’t like, such as fractals? That’s not cool. And there’s no way around that one. I wish Anet gave us alternative ways of obtaining the items required for collections. You don’t see Anet shoving WvW down non WvW’ers throats, but you do see it with fractals and dungeons. How is that fair? I know people will say stupid comments to this like ‘just get over it’ or ‘if you don’t like X then don’t go for X’. That’s all very well for you to say, but say that when Anet force YOU to do something YOU don’t like, and have no other option but to do it in order to get the thing you want.

It’s not that hard to offer alternative methods to obtaining items too, and that way it makes everyone happy – because they can do it THEIR way.

Having played through a few fractals because I had no other choice, for Astralaria collection, I still don’t like them, and I still hate the fact Anet forced me to do them (yes, forced, because there is no alternative to obtaining the items needed). I didn’t enjoy the fractals, and I just can’t wait to finally make Astralaria so I never have to make another legendary weapon again (because it will no doubt require fractals or a game type I do not like).

Ignore the troll’ish and ignorant comments on this thread, you are entitled to your opinion OP, and you have every right to disagree with being forced to do things you don’t want to do. I agree, there should be alternative methods for ALL game modes, not just the ones Anet forces you to do.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Just a flesh wound.3589

(Snip)
Ignore the troll’ish and ignorant comments on this thread, you are entitled to your opinion OP, and you have every right to disagree with being forced to do things you don’t want to do. I agree, there should be alternative methods for ALL game modes, not just the ones Anet forces you to do.

I must have missed it. What trollish and ignorant comments are on this thread?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Yeah you are right Zaoda, a troll/ignoring post is missing; I will be happpy to provide you one.
Here is my opinion:
Catering to everyones’ players playstyle is killing the content that Anet has put the effort in to design. Why is that? because when Anet gives too much choice, every player will always choose the quickest and cheapest way to obtain an item. When playeers have obtained that item or goal, then they complain that there is not much to do in the game because of how quick and easy it was to obtain this item or reach this goal.
That was the whole point of this expansion; give end game goal and a challenging content. I too never appreciated fractals to be honest….But I would rather getting out of my comfort-zone, improve my skills and playng for a long-term goal than repeating a dungeon in a mind-numbing zerker stacking way to buy a precursor off the TP that is necessary to forge a legendary weapon.. And now that fractal can be completed in a lesser amount of time, I am all up for them and it feels meaningfull to complete them.