Megaservers and upcoming WvW changes

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

Since the inclusion of megaservers guilds have become increasingly more comprised of members from various wvw worlds (due to it being difficult to recruit from just your world when your on a map that may not even have a lot from your world on it).

I LOVE what megaservers have done for pve. I can actually play with all my guild mates whenever I want when it comes to pve or pvp.

The one thing that has been left behind is wvw. I can’t play wvw with most of my guild because they are on a different world. I’ve been on JQ since before this game launched, but the guild I’ve been in for most of that time (not at the beginning) is on Dragonbrand.

Both those world’s are full. I’m unable to transfer to that world (even if I wanted to pay the outrageously overpriced fee).

Upcoming wvw changes are actually going to make it WORTHWHILE to do wvw as a guild (as opposed to just zerging). The new guild claiming features are superior to the current wvw system. What I’m saying is that, once this update launches, wvw will be different than what it was (in terms of guilds) at launch.

It’s ridiculous that, on top of buying HoT, in order to actually enjoy the wvw changes with my guild, I have to deal with full servers and fees.

With HoT, Anet should offer free world transfers to all purchasers. You say it’s ridiculous, but they made mega servers in pve (essentially giving everyone in that aspect of the game FREE unlimited server transfers WHENEVER they want by just clicking the “join on map” icon with your party members), why can’t they give wvw players something here?

If they truly want guilds to do things more together, they have to allow people a way to transfer in bulk to be with their guilds. How can you convince a guild of 450 people (maybe 150 of which are on a different world) to pay the ridiculous fee to transfer when pve players get it for free whenever they want because of the megaserver?

The second thing they need to do is expand the world population allowed per world.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

In my opinion, they’re better off scrapping the entire server system for WvW and do a type of 3-way faction thing. Something like a cross of ESO and Factions.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

In my opinion, they’re better off scrapping the entire server system for WvW and do a type of 3-way faction thing. Something like a cross of ESO and Factions.

That would make WvW meaningless and another EOTM K-Train map.

How would you track your progress?
If new instances are made when the map cap is reached, how will you get back to that instance?
Travelling from on BL to another will make it a pot-luck event of getting to the instance you want.
Any upgrades you have started will become meaningless to you as the instance you go back to might be another one without any upgrades.

Ayrilana.1396

That would make WvW meaningless and another EOTM K-Train map.

How would you track your progress?
If new instances are made when the map cap is reached, how will you get back to that instance?
Travelling from on BL to another will make it a pot-luck event of getting to the instance you want.
Any upgrades you have started will become meaningless to you as the instance you go back to might be another one without any upgrades.

Yeah and WvW is as meaningful now as it was when the game launched. I’m sure people just love playing against the same servers each and every week. I’m sure the free world transfers would make it so much more meaningful… or not. You’ll eventually end up with what we have now once things have settled.

My idea wasn’t a full blown idea which was pretty obvious by its length. It was just a suggestion of an alternative that would be better in the long run that simply doing free server changes. I’ve mentioned my idea in more detail in another thread somewhere. That too was just a brief suggestion as I saw no need to give the exact blueprints on how to roll out a new system such as that.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Really bad idea on many levels

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah because fighting the same people over and over is going so well. Allowing for a mass server change won’t fix that as you’re not dealing with the source of the issue.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I was just thinking about making a topic about this topic..

Indeed, there has to be a solution for this problem, and not a temporary one for the release of HoT but a structural solution for the future.

Just giving out free transfers every-time is not a great idea because it is a problem for WvW itself but still we need a way to get members to easily join a server that is used as base (WvW) server by a guild.

One small thing that would help, is having a server-chat that lets you chat in a map, but over multiple instances, only visible by people on the same server. This would at least help with recruiting in PvE for members who also like to do WvW.
But while this would help a little, fact is that at this moment many guilds already have people from many servers and with the mega-server in place you will always get more members from other server then without the mega-servers. So this could be nice in combination with some other things, but does not solve the problem by itself.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Brother Dulfite.5793

The bottom line if this isn’t resolved, your going to have (once more) low, overall, guild participation in wvw because guilds have a large amount of members in their guilds that don’t represent their world.

And you can argue that people shouldn’t join guilds that aren’t from their world if they want to wvw, but you realize probably half the guilds in gw2 were people that played together in gw1 in a guild/alliance and want to stick together here, right?

Early on in the game, it was difficult to all be on the same server because there were so many new players so quickly (anet had to suspend sales for a while) that server’s became full quickly, making it impossible to get all your friends on the same server in the first place.

This situation has been annoying for far too long and, in my opinion, needs to be solved before ANYTHING else in this game.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Server transfer sales support WvW upkeep. And prevent some level of match manipulation. You’ve already got tons of people who got spy accounts when the game was on sale. No need to bring more chaos in by letting people do a chaotic mass shuffle. If everyone was transferring all at once every server could become a mix mash of random people who have never played together before. I don’t think that would please the majority.

Orochimaru.4730

Yeah because fighting the same people over and over is going so well. Allowing for a mass server change won’t fix that as you’re not dealing with the source of the issue.

Lol you dont get it do you.

What you have suggested is just EOTM. So if that is what you want, you know where it is.

Ayrilana.1396

What you have suggested is just EOTM. So if that is what you want, you know where it is.

No. EotM is what it is because of the relative close points to cap and that it offers no incentive to defend. There’s no difference between winning and losing. If it was part of the regular WvW maps in place of the copy and pasted borderlands, you’d see a much different map than you do currently.

Orochimaru.4730

And how would an instance based WvW give us?

You cannot get all players from all servers onto 4 maps, thats why we have servers.
This faction you talk about would requires instances.

The only way to implements what you have suggested is exactly how EOTM works. Where your so called factions are the current servers’ WvW colour. And we do not want EOTM 2.0

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

No. EotM is what it is because of the relative close points to cap and that it offers no incentive to defend. There’s no difference between winning and losing. If it was part of the regular WvW maps in place of the copy and pasted borderlands, you’d see a much different map than you do currently.

There’s no incentive to defend is right. EotM doesn’t award points to your home server and hardly does anything else for it either. Thus the only reason to play EotM is for personal gain, aka continually capping points by letting your points be capped and refreshed.

Even if you put it on a larger map, it would still be a personal gain play with no incentive to help your team win. Megaserver WvW would have the same shortcoming as EotM regardless of the size or layout of the map.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

WvW could be more guild based, instead random server population based. It would encourage pugs to join proper wvw guilds as well.
Guilds leaders would sign up their guild for next week WvW, specified size of the guild there and times when they are expected to play. Then out of all the signed guilds there could be randomized world created with guilds stacked on them with similiar sizes to each other from the opposing ‘servers/worlds’. Guilds would no longer fight to win the week for some abstract points, but for things of actual value: some Guild Hall upgrades, new skins, discounts at npc’s, gems, guild siege blueprints…
Also it could solve the ‘problem’ of ppl doing scrims at maps instead in OS or GH arena, because, if there would be good enough rewards for winning matches, then it would be much more preferred to eliminate any enemy forces you see on the map instead of organizing some sparring fights with them.
This all could lead later on to forming guild alliances or guild ‘wars’ so you have high chance that XY guild could be on your ‘world’ but ZX guild would be most likely on the world you fight against. Leader would just have to specify which guilds he would like to meet/avoid while signing up for next match – open the panel and you see “We are at war with ZX this week” – increases chance to fight against them, “We are friendly with XY” – increases chance to be on the same world, etc. Many possibilities, if only a system like this could be created.

Brother Dulfite.5793

WvW could be more guild based, instead random server population based. It would encourage pugs to join proper wvw guilds as well.
Guilds leaders would sign up their guild for next week WvW, specified size of the guild there and times when they are expected to play. Then out of all the signed guilds there could be randomized world created with guilds stacked on them with similiar sizes to each other from the opposing ‘servers/worlds’. Guilds would no longer fight to win the week for some abstract points, but for things of actual value: some Guild Hall upgrades, new skins, discounts at npc’s, gems, guild siege blueprints…
Also it could solve the ‘problem’ of ppl doing scrims at maps instead in OS or GH arena, because, if there would be good enough rewards for winning matches, then it would be much more preferred to eliminate any enemy forces you see on the map instead of organizing some sparring fights with them.
This all could lead later on to forming guild alliances or guild ‘wars’ so you have high chance that XY guild could be on your ‘world’ but ZX guild would be most likely on the world you fight against. Leader would just have to specify which guilds he would like to meet/avoid while signing up for next match – open the panel and you see “We are at war with ZX this week” – increases chance to fight against them, “We are friendly with XY” – increases chance to be on the same world, etc. Many possibilities, if only a system like this could be created.

Can someone from anet please read this person’s suggestion? This is good stuff!

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

WAHT ABOUT NA VS EU? “global” WvW should be awesome, that gould surely bring unity to the guild sistems and alliances

Ayrilana.1396

And how would an instance based WvW give us?

You cannot get all players from all servers onto 4 maps, thats why we have servers.
This faction you talk about would requires instances.

The only way to implements what you have suggested is exactly how EOTM works. Where your so called factions are the current servers’ WvW colour. And we do not want EOTM 2.0

Servers and instances are really not any different. What we have now are essentially dedicated instances for each tier. There also happen to be a tool that exists in the game currently which also you to get a guild into a single instance. Many use it for guild missions. I even mentioned how to use it for players not in a guild to go to a specific instance. There’s also nothing against simply adding a way to choose your instance similar to how you could choose districts in GW1.

There’s no incentive to defend is right. EotM doesn’t award points to your home server and hardly does anything else for it either. Thus the only reason to play EotM is for personal gain, aka continually capping points by letting your points be capped and refreshed.

Even if you put it on a larger map, it would still be a personal gain play with no incentive to help your team win. Megaserver WvW would have the same shortcoming as EotM regardless of the size or layout of the map.

I addressed this in another thread where you had a reward track to WvW. You add rewards such as exclusive weapons/armor skins to give incentives for people to try and win.

Ayrilana.1396

The point of this is that the current system isn’t working. You have servers that are stacked with near 24/7 coverage. You have servers that fight the same servers every single week with barely any change. You cannot have servers fight different servers each week as we found out during the WvW Tournaments since you’ll just have the one with more people dominate the others.

The only way I see these issues to be resolved is by combining servers or remove them entirely and go towards the system I suggested. Doing a free server transfer will not fix it. You’ll only make things chaotic for a month or so until things settle right back to where they are now.

Devata.6589

Ande destroy WvW for PvX guilds? That would only make it worse.

The megaserver already mainly hurts PvX guilds, WvW only guilds simply only recruit in WvW maps so they do not have this problem.

No, I think the ‘worlds’ fighting each other is better, but in those worlds, guilds should get a bigger role and the problem megaservers created should be solved.

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

Can someone from anet please read this person’s suggestion? This is good stuff!

You mean his terrible ideas. Any game wide system that is depended on guilds are doom to fail harder than the current WvW.

Also this terrible suggestion doesn’t deal with people who are unwilling to be a part of guilds.

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

Don’t think it would destroy it for PvX guilds, you could sign up as well. It’s just a quick idea about “in which direction” things could change…

It doesn’t deal with pugs yes, I think they could be randomized to fill up the remaining slots on the servers?

If you have better ideas to solve “Coverage Wars” and make the idea of having highest score at end of the week to have actual meaning and sense behind it then go on. There is a lot of ppl who like to have highest points, but also a lot of ppl who like to have these large scale battles and don’t look much at end week score. We just need a something that could really connect them…

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

^ this.

They should make it based on an alliance of guilds and tier it based on population.

This would create a wider variety of match ups & it would solve allot of the numbers issues and make WvW much more about tactics since you wouldn’t just be able to rely on superior numbers.

If someone cannot bother to maintain standards for a WvW guild then there is always EOTM.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Yeah and WvW is as meaningful now as it was when the game launched.

But apparently some people do. Mind you I don’t really get it, but then again my ability to comprehend the actions and preferences of other people does not preclude the existence of such actions of preferences.

WAHT ABOUT NA VS EU? “global” WvW should be awesome, that gould surely bring unity to the guild sistems and alliances

Well latency would be an issue. Mind you not real latency, probably 200-300, but for first world-ers this would probably be ‘unplayable’ or something.

You have servers that fight the same servers every single week with barely any change.

But that’s because those servers have similar ranking. Unless you handicap them, or boost the other servers there won’t be a change.

They should make it based on an alliance of guilds and tier it based on population.

This would create a wider variety of match ups & it would solve allot of the numbers issues and make WvW much more about tactics since you wouldn’t just be able to rely on superior numbers.

If someone cannot bother to maintain standards for a WvW guild then there is always EOTM.

Nope. You’d still have mayor alliances fighting each other over and over. The only difference would be how they’re grouped together. Currently they’re grouped by their servers, in that system they’d be grouped by alliances which would just be a more convenient means of server swapping.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

Also this terrible suggestion doesn’t deal with people who are unwilling to be a part of guilds.

Harshly, that’s how we should deal with them!

If you’re not part of a guild (looks at name of game.. shrugs) you could be grouped when you entered the map.

Why are people unwilling to join a guild but then want to do guild based events in a game with the words Guild and Wars in it? So confuse..

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Actually by creating tiers based on population levels among guild alliances they could make tiers smaller then many current world pops & thus create a much greater number of “Alliances” then the current world pop of many servers.

This would allow for a much wider variety of match ups

Brother Dulfite.5793

I’m all for tiers based on alliances of guilds instead of meaningless worlds. Please change this anet! Make WvW actually mean something and make all guild members be able to do WvW with their guild whenever they want!

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

WvWs are dead zones usually on certain server tiers on certain times of the day. There just doesn’t seem to be enough incentive for people to go there over pve or EOTM.

Raising the rewards for doing various things in WvW may alleviate the problem.

It would be also great if they raised the player caps while merging certain server tiers together in a system similar to EOTM so that there will be more activity at all times.

Devata.6589

I’m all for tiers based on alliances of guilds instead of meaningless worlds. Please change this anet! Make WvW actually mean something and make all guild members be able to do WvW with their guild whenever they want!

Guild-alliances would then be just as meaningless as worlds, it’s nothing else then a name for a group, you join a group, and then fight for that group. They should make those guilds and guild-alliances more important in those worlds (what they try to do with HoT, so it seems) and fix the problem caused by megaservers. So you choose a world and a guild within that world you like to fight with for that world. (pretty much how it worked before megaservers). This also leave rooms for smaller guilds or even people without guilds or PvX guilds to do their thing.

Also those worlds should get more meaning again. This is also something megaservers sort of destroyed , but imho the way your world and guild (both) performs should be better reflected in other parts of the game. Build a good lore around it and then you have ‘meaning’ to WvW. Changing a name does nothing to that.

Posted by: WSG Delen.9203

WSG Delen.9203

I am not 100% clear on what WvW changes are coming but…

IMO keep the general concept of WvW but change it so the World is dictated by the Guild you are representing at the time. The Guild leader or their delegate would select the World for the guild. In addition add (or lower) World based player count limits to Borderlands to prevent more heavily populated servers from being able to blob overwhelm less populated ones. This would allow for the skill of the players participating to become more relevant and make it easier for guilds to manage their recruiting for WvW.

Increasing rewards for defending borderlands may help too.

(edited by WSG Delen.9203)