Megeserver megabugged ?

Megeserver megabugged ?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hubal.8571

Hubal.8571

I’m really really tired of getting into empty maps in HoT. There is something really really wrong in the megaserver.
Just today I entered a dead-empty map. Nothing new in HoT i suppose, so when the server asked me to move to more populated map – I took it.
Only to be placed in another DEAD EMPTY MAP. I still have the buff for moving maps active when the server is again asking me to move.

Attachments:

Megeserver megabugged ?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m really really tired of getting into empty maps in HoT. There is something really really wrong in the megaserver.
Just today I entered a dead-empty map. Nothing new in HoT i suppose, so when the server asked me to move to more populated map – I took it.
Only to be placed in another DEAD EMPTY MAP. I still have the buff for moving maps active when the server is again asking me to move.

That’s not new to HoT — it still happens in world boss maps after people start leaving the map. I used to be able to get 5-6 different maps after karka queen died (since HoT, maybe one new map).

All that the system knows how to do is to suggest moving; it has no way to know that people are also planning to leave the target map soon afterward.

Of course, ANet should tweak things to reduce the chance that this happens, but it’s tricky: make the time too long, and people feel that the maps are empty; decrease the time too much and you get people being asked to move more than once.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Megeserver megabugged ?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I think the excessive taxiing on HoT maps is probably partially responsible for screwing up the megaserver thing. It’s trying to put players in certain maps based upon a set of rules and the players are using the lfg en-mass to hop to a different one. That would explain why the megaserver seems so much worse in HoT maps compared with other maps. Organising random human players is like herding cats.

Megeserver megabugged ?

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

The system will never know who are players would run the events, afk, exploring, farming, etc. Might be ANet should hire a few part time to manually organize players to run the HoT maps. If those individuals succeed, ANet might be able to automate their processes.

Megeserver megabugged ?

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

Tbh I’m missing the old overflow system. At least that one had the main map and put all new joiners into a single overflow once main map filled, then another once that filled. All megaservers seems to do is have multiple instances and try to spread out the playerbase among them, instead of simply generating the necessary 1-2 maps and filling them. This is why people taxi, cause you can’t finish meta on 3 different MS with 30 players each, but you can finish meta in 1 MS with all 90 players together.

Megeserver megabugged ?

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

I think it’s interesting when you get the pop-up that the map you’re on currently is empty and the new map that you’re plopped into has the same IP as the one you just left. Then, seconds later, you get another pop-up that the map is empty and you can volunteer to change again. And lose your participation progress. So you’re left to wonder, did I make a mistake leaving the first map? If it was really empty, who were all those phantoms doing the events and posting in map chat?

Megeserver megabugged ?

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

Tbh I’m missing the old overflow system. At least that one had the main map and put all new joiners into a single overflow once main map filled, then another once that filled. All megaservers seems to do is have multiple instances and try to spread out the playerbase among them, instead of simply generating the necessary 1-2 maps and filling them. This is why people taxi, cause you can’t finish meta on 3 different MS with 30 players each, but you can finish meta in 1 MS with all 90 players together.

What they can do then then is reduce the amount of maps the mega server can create, which is something i remember them doing recently i think anyway? Maybe it needs further tweaking. Of course if people are constantly moving and joining maps it seems the megaserver could be confused.