Mentor-Tag abused as Comm-Tag

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nekres.1038

Nekres.1038

Wouldn’t it be better to restrict the mentor-tag to maps with the level requirement of 1 to 40? Nobody needs a mentor in the maguuma-dschungle.

I thought mentoring meant helping newcomers get comfortable with the game. I don’t think those kind of players run around in level 80 maps.

Not to mention that commander tag has way more functions and costs 300g.

Edit: I also think restricting it to low level maps will make more players want to use it in the appropiate way.

(edited by Nekres.1038)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes, the commander tag has (many) more functions, but sometimes it’s handy to have someone with a mentor tag (that knows how to lead) but doesn’t necessarily have the commander tag (because they don’t need all the extra stuff). I know it’s come in handy a few times in the Labyrinth quite a few times, just to help keep people together, and let those filtering in know where the group is at.

Occasionally, you just need someone to mark a spot too, and it’s handy for that as well.

I really don’t see the issue in pve, and it doesn’t work on wvw at all, where having a commander is actually mildly important.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: giovr.6538

giovr.6538

not everyone waste 300 G to be a commander and almost no one ask to be inside the squad… this new tag is a blessing, you don’t need a real comm to lead an event train anyway

Nekres.1038

Restrict it to 1-40, cities and event maps who are easily accessed by low level chars./inexperienced players. (ie. labyrinth) Wouldn’t that be an idea?

not everyone waste 300 G to be a commander and almost no one ask to be inside the squad… this new tag is a blessing, you don’t need a real comm to lead an event train anyway

That’s an argument to make me want to have my 100g back I paid in 2012.

I just think “mentoring” as it is now in level 80 maps is not “mentoring”

(edited by Nekres.1038)

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

I wonder how many of the people who dislike the mentor tag have a commander tag and just don’t want their purchase to be devalued?

Nekres.1038

I wonder how many of the people who dislike the mentor tag have a commander tag and just don’t want their purchase to be devalued?

I really don’t care about the unfairness and stuff. I am in love with guild wars and a fan since 2005. I really couldn’t care less. What I am talking about is the misinterpretation of mentor and the tag.
I would love if people were actually using the mentor to help low level chars get comfortable with my favourite game. And not be like “uuh yeah I don’t need to buy a comm tag now”

Posted by: kylania.6924

kylania.6924

Concentrate on leading if you’re a leader and don’t worry about what others have over their heads. Most of these threads are just complaints that someone isn’t a 300g special snowflake anymore. If you’re a more effective leader, people will follow your tag. If they are following some random mentor and not you, that’s not a mentor tag problem.

However if you are just jealous someone else stands out after you spend 100-300g, that too isn’t a mentor tab problem.

Restricting it is a bad idea since there’s tons of new and complicated content in the lvl 80 zones and a lot of lvl 80s are returning players who might as well be newbies after all the changes since they last played.

So play how you want and don’t let others get you down! You and your obscene amount of gold are still super special don’t you worry.

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

I have both.
But i hate seeing the maps clogged up with loads tags no matter what they are.
I would be happy to be able to turn them off tbh.

Nekres.1038

Concentrate on leading if you’re a leader and don’t worry about what others have over their heads. Most of these threads are just complaints that someone isn’t a 300g special snowflake anymore. If you’re a more effective leader, people will follow your tag. If they are following some random mentor and not you, that’s not a mentor tag problem.

However if you are just jealous someone else stands out after you spend 100-300g, that too isn’t a mentor tab problem.

Restricting it is a bad idea since there’s tons of new and complicated content in the lvl 80 zones and a lot of lvl 80s are returning players who might as well be newbies after all the changes since they last played.

So play how you want and don’t let others get you down! You and your obscene amount of gold are still super special don’t you worry.

It’s still not about the gold and payment.. read comment above.
Also those returning players will still have an easier time than newcomers. They can help themselves or follow the commander-tag. They already know how stuff works.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Restrict it to 1-40, cities and event maps who are easily accessed by low level chars./inexperienced players. (ie. labyrinth) Wouldn’t that be an idea?

That’s an argument to make me want to have my 100g back I paid in 2012.

I just think “mentoring” as it is now in level 80 maps is not “mentoring”

Mentoring isn’t restricted to level though. Mentors are people who teach, who help. That could just as easily be someone looking to learn a specific farming/dungeon run as it could be someone brand new to the game and can’t figure out how to use their weapon skills. So restricting it to lvl 40 or lower zones restricts their options for helping people.

Is it being used as an alternate commander tag when it’s needed? Sure, but where is the harm in that in pve? Generally speaking if a commander tag pops, the mentor tag disappears.

Are there trolls out there that abuse it? Sure, but there are trolls with commander tags that abuse those too.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

Anet, please restrict the Mentor tag to low level areas. As said above, people will continually be discouraged to purchase commander tags. This new tag has made the previous tag completely useless.

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Posted by: giovr.6538

giovr.6538

Anet, please restrict the Mentor tag to low level areas. As said above, people will continually be discouraged to purchase commander tags. This new tag has made the previous tag completely useless.

Hilarious.

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

want an example of it being useful in PvE at higher level?

“I’m going to be doing the vampire HP, does anyone want to come?”

half of the map then responds with a variety of “yes”, “sure”, “FINALLY”, and “sweet! where?”

“I’ll take you from the nearest WP”

I tag up,wait for about 30 people to show up, then lead them to the HP.then I tell them how to do the fight and 4 minutes later 30 more people have another HP done.

now tell me: I was leading, teaching, and guiding on a lv 80 map for players who didn’t know where or how to do that point.

was I not mentoring? was that not an appropriate use of the tag? because I sure as hell felt like a teacher leading a field trip to murder a vampire

your strokes are too broad, people don’t nessecarily understand everything as soon as they hit 41.

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

1-40 would be unnecessarily restrictive.

anything less than an 80 map, or you just dont see mentor tags if you are 80, perhaps.

People who have spent 300g on a commander tag since the change must be a bit miffed that anyone can tag up now.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

My only complaint about the mentor tags is there are just too many of them. What I would like to see is a restriction to the number that can be shown on any map at any one time. Trying to do daily events, you have a Comm call out an event on his tag but you can’t see his tag because it is blocked out by the several dozen mentor tags cluttering up the screen. Just give us the option to hide them. I do not need mentoring and they server no useful purpose for me. If I need help, the last person I would ask is someone running around on a map with a mentor tag now that everyone and his brother has it.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Tags are often helpful for all sorts of reasons. It’s unfortunate that some people are currently giddy with excitement about gaining the ability to tag that they are overusing it. In another thread, someone suggested limiting use of the tag to areas in which your character (or account) had map completion or I suppose by AP (that wouldn’t stop people from abusing it; it would just reduce the number of people who might).

Other ideas:

• It could also be time limited: it turns off after 5 minutes, with a cool down of 20; that way people could only use it for close to its intended purpose: a short-term marker helpful for directing people outside the party to a particular location.
  • There could be an option to toggle this icon on|off for each account — if I’m a new, free player, it’s on by default; as a veteran, I might hide the display of such tags (and the ‘mentor’ flourish in chat).
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Nekres.1038

want an example of it being useful in PvE at higher level?

“I’m going to be doing the vampire HP, does anyone want to come?”

half of the map then responds with a variety of “yes”, “sure”, “FINALLY”, and “sweet! where?”

“I’ll take you from the nearest WP”

I tag up,wait for about 30 people to show up, then lead them to the HP.then I tell them how to do the fight and 4 minutes later 30 more people have another HP done.

now tell me: I was leading, teaching, and guiding on a lv 80 map for players who didn’t know where or how to do that point.

was I not mentoring? was that not an appropriate use of the tag? because I sure as hell felt like a teacher leading a field trip to murder a vampire

your strokes are too broad, people don’t nessecarily understand everything as soon as they hit 41.

Those are not inexperienced players like newcomers. You could just say where to come and they would come to you.
1-40 was just an example, you did a great job on leading those people. Still there are too many abusing it or having it turned on for nothing at level 80 maps.

Posted by: kanarek.8025

kanarek.8025

Just give us option to show/hide mentor tags. Or I will have to start block all crazy mentors which I don’t really want to. Or add some “Help” or “Tutorial” option to settings and show mentors only to people who enable this.

Or allow mentor tag only to people who has commander tag and allow them to change icon to (i).

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Where the commander tags come from the mentor tags are not really of help. And the colour code is VERY nice to have in some organized group events like Tequatl, Wurm, etc.

It’s ok from my point of view … it takes a bit of grinding in PVE to get the tag and it can help people locate a mentor in need of assistance with a HP without the need to party up.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Meari.9078

Meari.9078

You should have to earn the commander tag, not buy it. A lot of kittens have it, and are not commanders, just jerks with the gold to spend. Mentor tag should also be earned ex: if you reach “respected acheiver” you can mentor as you’ve played enougj to be able to offer help.

Nekres.1038

You should have to earn the commander tag, not buy it. A lot of kittens have it, and are not commanders, just jerks with the gold to spend. Mentor tag should also be earned ex: if you reach “respected acheiver” you can mentor as you’ve played enougj to be able to offer help.

This is actually an amazing idea.

Posted by: Herschie.6380

Herschie.6380

Just give us option to show/hide mentor tags. Or I will have to start block all crazy mentors which I don’t really want to. Or add some “Help” or “Tutorial” option to settings and show mentors only to people who enable this.

Or allow mentor tag only to people who has commander tag and allow them to change icon to (i).

I was thinking exactly this. All players should have it on by default (Since new players would need to see mentors/might not be able to find the setting). But if someone doesn’t want mentors visible to them, they can just toggle a setting in options or something.

Like it or not, there are map mechanics that some people don’t understand on maps 40+ so limiting the use on map level isn’t smart. For example, the new magumma maps. If someone WANTS to mentor or be mentored on those map mechanics, they should be able to. And when you’re done, turn it on/off.

Midian Wright [Guardian]
[Maki]
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I have both tags, I use my mentor tag in low level areas as I do map completion. Only really used commander tag in wvw and once I learn the new maps better.

I see nothing wrong with using a mentor tag if no one around doesn’t have commander tag

Posted by: Darksaffey.8479

Darksaffey.8479

There is only one issue I have with the new tag and that is people raging at me for messing up whatever.
I was in an unorganised Labyrinth, carving pumpkins and opening doors when some guy raged that I should follow the commander (there wasn’t one). I said there wasn’t one and some mentor went I’m the commander while adding some unkind words about me opening doors.
Using the mentor tag to lead events is totally fine, but would be nice to announce it instead of raging at people. :s

Knight Captain of The Knights Temple [TKT] (Gandara)
-Genetta Tigrina – Cicadina – Genetta Victoriae-

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Probably 99% of the time you do not need a mentor tag in the higher-level areas …. but everyone has an eyerolling moment where they saw a vet doing something monumentally stupid. Of course, those vets would never admit to needing a mentor.

Commander tags are sometimes the best bet in high level areas, but not always. My fave was running into someone with a ‘been there done that’ tag who was dead so I raised him, even though it was a mob spawning point. He then stood there and the next mob killed him … obviously AFK. I turned my commander tag on so people would not look to that kitty-cat for guidance or raise him in the middle of the metaevent. That was before mentor tags and in sparkfly fen so cases could be made now for either being appropriate.

Posted by: Evolving Minotaur.5871

Evolving Minotaur.5871

Someone above has the answer. If I don’t need mentoring, Why shouldn’t I be able to turn the presence (of ALL or specific tags) on the map, off? That seems like the simple solution. Commander tags in WVW should be static but I would love to tag up with my own little group in PVE and not have people telling me to “tag down” for whatever reason.

Menadena.7482

It is funny as I paid 300 for mine (initially ONLY to do mentoring) a few months before we found out about the mentor tag. Sure, I was a little annoyed as you should not have to pay to promote the game/help others in it. I rarely use squads and the WVW features. Would I want a refund? Probably not since sometimes it is appropriate to use.

We are looking at it in terms of gold. Convert it to your local currency and ask if you had gotten that much enjoyment out of it. That is, what, a couple of subway sandwiches?

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

The problem is that the mentor tag is far too easy to obtain and there are individuals that think they have the right to tell everyone what to do simply because they choose to display it.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

as for having both the commander tag(100G back in 2013) and mentor tag, its fine.

I dont get why you are bullying those that only have a mentor tag. its like you have some elitist ego about the fact you probably paid 300g and now anyone who gets that mastery can now put a mark on the map. Grow up.

As for greifing with tags, its been a problem since the introduction of the commander tag. Nothing has changed there. Just instead of everyone dropping 100g or 300g to get the tag, they just need to get a mastery. Elitists will be elitists and Trolls will be trolls. Having more ‘tag’ options does not change it.

And yes, anyone who has a tag as the ingame right to show that tag off. Just cause you think you own XYZ map cause you are organizing it does not entitle you to tell others to disable their tag. Get over yourselves already.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: bluesnacks.2301

bluesnacks.2301

There is only one issue I have with the new tag and that is people raging at me for messing up whatever.
I was in an unorganised Labyrinth, carving pumpkins and opening doors when some guy raged that I should follow the commander (there wasn’t one). I said there wasn’t one and some mentor went I’m the commander while adding some unkind words about me opening doors.
Using the mentor tag to lead events is totally fine, but would be nice to announce it instead of raging at people. :s

That’s not a commander issue, that’s you opening doors when you shouldn’t be.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue.

Menadena.7482

If I need help, the last person I would ask is someone running around on a map with a mentor tag now that everyone and his brother has it.

Do what I have done before mentor tags existed. I slapped on a commander tag and map chatted various tips that low-levels might not know yet. Every once in awhile I would say if they had any questions to /whisper to me or find the (color) triangle on their map. I would wind up with people sending me questions and following me around. I even had other vets chiming in to tell the low levels if something was good advice or to give more information on something.

Odds are if I did that today the same thing would happen and all those mentors that were not behaving as such would get ignored. It would be vexing to use a commander tag instead of a mentor tag but it would be equally vexing to not be able to tell people how to find me in the sea of people who slapped on a mentor tag because they could.

Basically, if you do the things expected of a commander/mentor you will be treated like one. If you do not you are just someone who has a ego-pixel on the screen. We should not need one, but maybe a guide as to how to use both would be good.

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Personally, I don’t pay attention to people with mentor tags. I treat it as if they’re people who’re just helping the new players, which they should be. I follow the commander tags, because they’re the ones who should be commanding.

Posted by: Darksaffey.8479

Darksaffey.8479

That’s not a commander issue, that’s you opening doors when you shouldn’t be.

I’m not allowed to open doors in an unorganised map? O.o’

Maybe it wasn’t clear, but the mentor tagged up after someone complained about me in map chat. So he wasn’t even there while I was running around.

Knight Captain of The Knights Temple [TKT] (Gandara)
-Genetta Tigrina – Cicadina – Genetta Victoriae-

Posted by: Felis Noctu.9081

Felis Noctu.9081

Just my personal opinion, I have no problem with people using it as a commander tag, but I think considering it’s purpose (you know, to teach people things and provide information), it should be limited on a zone-by-zone basis.

In other words, you can’t turn on your mentor tag in a zone until you’ve 100% said zone. That way when someone asks you a question, you should actually have the information they’re probably asking about. Which would help with the random people leaving it on in the HoT areas when they have absolutely no idea what they’re doing :P

Menadena.7482

/map If you have any questions about the game please feel free to ask anyone with an apple over their head.

popcorn?

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

/map If you have any questions about the game please feel free to ask anyone with an apple over their head.

popcorn?

Truthfully, I doubt this would go well.. Someone would troll, others would call the mentor a “special snowflake”, etc. Theirs no winning :/

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

Yes, the commander tag has (many) more functions, but sometimes it’s handy to have someone with a mentor tag (that knows how to lead) but doesn’t necessarily have the commander tag (because they don’t need all the extra stuff). I know it’s come in handy a few times in the Labyrinth quite a few times, just to help keep people together, and let those filtering in know where the group is at.

Occasionally, you just need someone to mark a spot too, and it’s handy for that as well.

I really don’t see the issue in pve, and it doesn’t work on wvw at all, where having a commander is actually mildly important.

I feel the same, it’s handy in a pinch when used correctly.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Mentor tags imo should be restricted with account age.
Yes, I have a mentor tag but I wasn’t aiming for it.
Do I use it? Yes, in HoT when we don’t have enough commanders or the commanders think we’re all mind readers in a zerg mindset.

Posted by: Drox.4562

Drox.4562

I see nothing wrong with the mentor tag. It’s easy to distinguish from the commander tag and allows people to replace commanders quickly in zergs if need be.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Some of you guys really like to complain for the sake of complaining, don’t you?

I have a Commander Tag but mainly use it during guild missions and sometimes for WvW. Personally I find the Mentor tag to be a nice PvE alternative and gives everyone the means to ‘tag up’ to help out. Especially since not everyone has 300 gold lying around.

But some of these responses make it appear as if they intend to turn the Mentor Tag into the next Ranger hate campaign. Rangers are still recovering from all the abuse, insults and kick requests and now some of you want to extend that blind hate towards people using a Mentor Tag as well? Please think for a moment.

Mentor Tag or Commander Tag, all they do is to provide a visual marker on the map for the people that need it. And I couldn’t care less if I see someone sporting a Mentor Tag instead of a Commander Tag on the North Gate of Tarir during the assault because it tells me that there is at least someone there to coordinate with.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Earlywood.7438

Earlywood.7438

I see the purpose, but I think they used the wrong word. Its not mentoring when the requirement is 1 level 80 and and you first mastery. At least not in my opinion. I mean you can mentor, but no more than my 2nd grader can mentor my preschooler:)

I am glad they added it though. I like having a tag already, but this makes event chains happen more often which leads to more things going on that I can do with using my own tag. Also, you can use it as another tag for guild stuff. We only have a few tag colors anyways, so it can become one for a different group if needed. Instead of saying things like “you go with the north red tag,” you can now say “follow the apple”

MrH.2591

If we need a 4th commander for Octovine but don’t have one I like being able to tag up and lead, without spending 300g. I don’t see why anyone would be against this.

Posted by: LadySkylet.8549

LadySkylet.8549

I honestly don’t understand peoples issues with it, unless the map has way too many mentor tags on (8+). For me, I love it when I see a map with commander tags or mentor tags, you know why? Because it makes people stay and actually do the events. It gets a tad more organized then it would without one. I’m atm struggling my bum off to get the bladed chest so I keep looking for maps with tags.

Anyways, I honestly don’t understand how you people think and I’ve seen so much rudeness in the map lately because of the mentor tag. Not only that, but people has literally been whispering them to tag down and just been plain mean. Are you guys serious? Over a freaking tag?

I myself, I don’t have a mentor tag, I got my own commander tag. Yet, i’m still happy if someone tags up with the ’’apple’’ tag because it helps out the map, unless they’re just tagging up to mess around.

If you don’t like the tag, then that’s fine, really. But please don’t go around speaking crap to them and telling them to tag down, just because it’s not a commander tag.
I don’t see the issue if they are still helping out.

It’s disturbing how people can get so kitten and salty over a tag. A simple tag that actually helps organizing stuff in maps. I’d rather have 5 apple tags, then no tags at all.
Ty.

WvW: notice me Anet-senpai..

Menadena.7482

Did you do the maw daily last night? I do not know about your map but there were a LOT of people using the mentor tag at the one I was at. Considering just the numbers, most people using it are not mentoring they are ‘ooh, I haz a tag, I am spechul’. As to organizing, if you have too many tags that sort of defeats the purpose of knowing who is organizing.

No, I do not tell people to tag down. That is just plain rude to tell someone else how to enjoy the game unless their enjoyment causes others to enjoy it less. Given how many tags I see I doubt everyone is doing it to help others but I usually do not know why a specific person has it on.

A sign of a good commander (and also mentor) is not using the tag if it is not needed. If I am leading a zerg and someone else wants to tag up and lead it for awhile I practically want to thank them. Commanders are learning this, some faster than others. Mentors have not though and see it as being a special snowflake, which is odd because practically every 80 that bought HOT has one. Hence the disdain of people with mentor tags turned on by commanders.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

They need to l Iimit these tags. Right now, both kinds of tags are useless most places.

Limit commanders to WvW. And group content.

Limit mentors to low-level zones.

Posted by: MeveM.7913

MeveM.7913

My problem with the mentor tag is the lack of a refund system to those of us using the commander tag for pve. I did not even know about the extra comm features until i got it so i highly doubt the majority knows of them either.

Bought the tag a few days before hot launch and this is a massive smack in the face.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

I don’t lead events with mine, I just like to put it up as i’m running around so people can ask me questions if they have them. If I can answer them I will and if I can’t I won’t or I’ll look it up for them.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

but you are not supposed to use the MENTOR tag to lead a train where a commander tag would fit…

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

If nobody is tagging up for the event, i dont see what the problem is if a mentor tags up to lead the event train, i really dont.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

MrH.2591

but you are not supposed to use the MENTOR tag to lead a train where a commander tag would fit…

Says who? If there’s no commander a mentor will do just fine in that situation.