Mentor Tags

Mentor Tags

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: levelmakerguru.7210

levelmakerguru.7210

Q:

I have been playing this game since launch in August three years ago, i have seen many changes in the game, when Heart of Thorns came out it mentioned a mentor tag so they can help other players thru out Tyria, even though the premiss was there the action is way different, for one who has a commander tag and got it before the update were it took 300 gold instead of 100 when i got it. These people are using the mentor “apple” as a commander tag and for those who genially have earned it, it makes you feel cheap. the mentor tags should be used in the Major Cities only (LA, DR, Rata Sum….. etc), let the real commanders do their job and don’t let the “poor man’s commander tag” be the way to go. Also the mentor tag needs to change the artwork, instead of an apple, they need to change it ot the professor cap, like at graduation….

Thanks

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

Except more often than not I see mentors lead far better than commanders in meta events. (Only reason Commander Tag is more ideal in meta is due to unlimited squad size)

Commander tag does not equal experience, same with mentor tag.

While there are issues with it, same with commander tag, most mentor tags I run into are using their tags to denote a location on the map for people, or leading any who want to follow for things like HP runs or events.

Since you’ve been here so long, you clearly don’t need to worry about whether or not you should follow a mentor, so don’t.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Mentor tags lack a lot of the functionality that comes with the commander tag. All of it, pretty much, except for the icon.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

Commander tags are worth their money because of their squad abilities which can be used in raids and WvW. Although commander tags were mostly developed as a WvW thing.

Mentor tags are so common that people don’t tag up just for the heck of it except for world boss events where things get silly. Instead they’re used so people who have experience or no intention of spending 300g on a tag can help out in PvE maps.

I’ve been playing since headstart and I’ve never wanted a commander tag (especially with its ridiculous price tag which has no indication of skill) but I’ve used the mentor tag to help in PvE often, like help people locate event chains in HoT etc.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

mentor cant create large squads with 50+ ppl, and dont change colors. Ppl uses mentor as last option. in Hot maps is commom mentors leading hp runs or events. they are blocked in WvW.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

A tag that you get by opening up your wallet and outright buying it isn’t better than a tag you earn by playing the game.

If you think a bought tag is better than a “earn by playing the game” tag (and I’m not talking about commander tag functionality here but the argument that says the mentor tag should be restricted to major cities because otherwise the people who opened up their wallet will feel bad) then please, make that argument. I’d love to see it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Ampa.2749

Ampa.2749

So you log in, go to a HoT map, and see no commander tags. You look around and wonder if anyone is playing the map. There are probably others just looking for someone to follow, but with no tag there is no leader. So someone puts up a Mentor tag and advertises in chat, and fun happens.

If you don’t want Mentors being leaders, then you are now required to be in a map with your tag up all the time. If I can’t lead then you have to.

If you don’t want Mentors being leaders, get mega servers fixed so we are always on populated maps with the mandatory commanders.

Otherwise, chill out. Have fun.

Guardian, Engineer, Elementalist, Mesmer, Thief, Necro

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Yeah, not really feeling any sympathy for a vanity tag that was paid for.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

meh, give me an option to hide both tags (I own both but seldom use either one)

And I am happy.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Mentor Tags

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

mentor tags = screen clutter

Attachments:

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Doritos hating Apples.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i got a commander tag and have no problem following a mentor tag and i know commander tag has more function-ability and im all right with it. i see no reason a mentor leading if they know content. its the person who makes a good tag i folllowed commander tags and regretted it im sure ill follow mentor tags and regret it. neither is better its the person behind them that makes a difference

Mentor Tags

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

ok i don’t care the look of the tag itself and agree with you but i do wish it was harder to get then it is. seemed to easy to get it when i did and i mean the mentor tag

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

I do agree that the mentor tag is too easy to get, it probably should’ve been obtained halfway up the mastery or at the end of it instead of at the beginning. That being said as somebody else already mentioned, what kind of tag it is doesn’t matter, what matters is the person behind it.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

It’s not the mechanic of the tag, it’s how it’s used that can be a problem, imo.

Like when someone has the mentor tag toggled but is the one asking all the questions about an event, or commanders who afk with their tag on at boss spawns and offer no effort towards pre events.

Not much anyone can do to stop that, though.

Mentor Tags

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

Too bad I can’t display my mentor tag and my commander tag at the same time!

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

Mentor Tags

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Too bad I can’t display my mentor tag and my commander tag at the same time!

If you could, would you spend time arguing with yourself which tag is more “qualified” to lead? And if so, how many apples would you buy, to the nearest whole number, from Tybalt?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.