Mesmer Specialization Speculation

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Crey.5263

Crey.5263

I think a lot of people are expecting the mesmer specialization to be the Chronomancer, especially since the introduction of the new debuff: Slow.

I hope that this is the case and would like to speculate on how Anet might implement it. I don’t think that they will get rid of clones and phantasms because that would essentially require them to overwrite at least one skill on every weapon for the mesmer, sometimes 2. It would also require them to modify traits in every trait line.

I think that they will keep the illusion summoning skills, but rebrand them as parallel selves or the character from an alternate timeline.

I think the shatter’s will be rebranded as time manipulation and instead of destroying your parallel versions will simply get stronger for having them. Here are some of the replacements that I think would work with it:

F1) Reverse Time: Heal allied units in the area (max 5); Each Parallel version of you grants regeneration to allies around them.

F2) Slow Time: Inflicts Slow debuff on your target nearby enemies; Each Parallel version of you chills their target nearby enemies.

F3) Speed Time: Grants quickness buff to allied units in the area (max 5); Each Parallel version of you grants swiftness to allies around them.

F4) Freeze Time: Petrifies your target; Each Parallel version of you immobilizes their target.

I think that would be an interesting change to the Mesmer that doesn’t require such an unrealistic retool of the the class.

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

This has been beaten to death over in the mesmer sub forum already, but your ideas are kinda cute.

Tho, just to note, you’re super simple change of making clones not shatter is a pretty serious retooling of the entire class mechanic across the board. It probably is also very unbalanced in that respect and wouldnt lend a lot to really change the diversity of how mesmers are viewed or played.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’m a little skeptical of the idea of a Chronomancer. I know they really wanted to do it in Utopia, and never got the chance, but a class themed around controlling time sounds pretty difficult to do in an online game where synchronicity is very important, and trying to force the theme into such an environment seems as though it would necessitate watering down the typical chronomancer ideas to boring mechanics.

Besides that, Time Control is exclusive to SubGeniuses anyway! They can’t take that away from us!

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Arcane Echo for elite please.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

The weapon they are giving Mesmers has already shown they want to spend as little effort on the Mesmer Specialization as possible, don;t know why anybody is expecting a complete rework of the shatter mechanic.

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Like the Ranger pet, ANET seems to want Mesmer wedded to clones. ( and thief to steal and poison ) I would be quite surprised if that changed.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

The weapon they are giving Mesmers has already shown they want to spend as little effort on the Mesmer Specialization as possible, don;t know why anybody is expecting a complete rework of the shatter mechanic.

exactly, the GM trait power block was nerfed to favor thieves (and future revenants) with complete 100% ineffectiveness, what makes anyone have high hopes Anet will do something decent for Mesmers? Even if they do something decent, they will make sure another class or meta builds make Mesmers not part of the meta.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer