Mob attacks that are *fun*

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

This is subjective, since my idea of fun may be someone else’s annoyance, and some folks won’t like attacks no matter what. I was just so tickled by this particular one that I thought I’d mention it, in hopes it won’t be changed or done away with.
Alrenatively, it doesn’t need to be fun, but definitely makes the fight interesting.

1> Giant Hylek that throws you straight up into the air (Huh…I wonder if I did it right, I could get him to toss me up to the next landing, lol). It feels like a trampoline, since you don’t take much damage from the actual attack. It’s just “Whoopsy!” (interrupt+a couple of seconds recovery time)

2> IIRC it’s the Mounted Cavalier that does another launch type of attack. It’s a pain in the butt, and the consequences can easily get you killed if they gang up on you, but the tumbling across the field is well done. It makes it feel like a real fight, rather than a dodge and spank.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I’m not sure this counts, but I enjoy killing npcs that stealth before they reappear. There is just suddenly a dead creature at my feet.

The giant hylek that toss you up is really fun I agree. I was having a blast on my daredevil during the encounter, but it just added to my “I’m jumping all over the place” fun. I think that mechanics like these are awesome, just not on weak creatures. One big bad guy who can throw you around = fun. Many small enemies that toss you around = annoying.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So far as #1, at least it makes the falling traits mean something.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

So far as #1, at least it makes the falling traits mean something.

OMG! I never even thought about that! I only ever slot that when I’m doing exploration and might fall off a cliff or something. That’d actually be useful in a lot of the new content now XD.

Posted by: Son of Urza.1692

Son of Urza.1692

Fun little detail someone else pointed out to me ingame: when you get the Mordrem Guard Cavaliers down to half health, their mounts throw them off and eat them. It’s pretty brutal.

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

Mob skill that are not fun:

Any skill that makes me passing by a total pain. For instance that risen mob that spams cripple on you (paired with an annoying norn sound effect as I hobble), the one that chains me in place (ok ill just kill the thing) or those cold blowing guys.

I’m sure this wont really be a huge deal on the one map in HOT, but nothing grinds my gears more than just passing by and I gotta deal with hords of trash mobs because one of them decided to root me, cripple me or slow me, and these are skills that really don’t matter in actual combat, just to harass me on my way to an unlocked poi or whatever.

I kinda like “helicopter ground effect” style attacks that you dodge by going clockwise, however are not anti-melee or non-factor to range (picture a large X ground effect moving clockwise, so theres room for melee to be useful and range has to deal with it too. Don’t like ground effects like a lot of core game mobs have that only bother melee, and you cant dodge them as melee and still attack, but range can stand there and auto attack.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

One of my favorite monster attacks is actually in ascalon. Specifically, the Branded Charr in the Dragonbrand area. After a brief channel, the summon dozens of small crystals all over, and then after a second or two, they all explode. The attack deals negligible damage even when underleveled, and the actual enemies have miniscule health, but the attack itself is one of the most potentially interesting in the open world.

Posted by: WindGodGirl.6405

WindGodGirl.6405

High stakes jump rope with Diarmid!

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

easier for me to list whats not fun….

Perma-blind
Perma-booned mobs (not removable) Think the boss of ascalon fractal.
Any mob with an pre FGS firey rush nerf attack

Posted by: Bahamut.2417

Bahamut.2417

OMG!! IKR!! I loved the Hylek “toss” and they even frik’n say “Up ya goo!” absolutely hilarious. I started looking for those Hylek just for that reason !

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

One of my favorite monster attacks is actually in ascalon. Specifically, the Branded Charr in the Dragonbrand area. After a brief channel, the summon dozens of small crystals all over, and then after a second or two, they all explode. The attack deals negligible damage even when underleveled, and the actual enemies have miniscule health, but the attack itself is one of the most potentially interesting in the open world.

True, true. Up the damage on something like that, and it at least makes people pay attention.

High stakes jump rope with Diarmid!

I got this one on the first encounter. Once I knew what was going on, it was easy to avoid getting downed.
Conversely, spinning Diarmid needs a tweak. Even knowing the attack pattern, you pretty much have to melee block immediately or completely range. Dodge, and she just chases through her too-long spinning.

Easier for me to list whats not fun….
Perma-blind

Ayup. Smoke shamans, dust mites, fake-Zojja… It’s ridiculous that some enemies have a hard CC as a basic attack. >_<#

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: WindGodGirl.6405

WindGodGirl.6405

Using Unrelenting Assault right when a Smokescale uses Unrelenting Assault on you.

Dragonball Z shenanigans ensue

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

The Legendary Wyvern using it’s wings (Harald style) to blow players back. That was way cool. Just buff the defiance bar on him ANet! The smaller wyverns flying and coating the ground in fire was pretty neat too. Finally starting to feel like a game about dragons!

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast