Mobs difficulty feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: PorceleinEve.2973

PorceleinEve.2973

Now I don’t understand this complains. Seriously i main a ranger ut i’ve been playing with a reaper and a DH. Classes i don’t really know well but i didn’t have any trouble with the game.
Actually i find the trash mobs even easy. I don’t see real difficulty in the snipers and i roam alone.
Did i die? sure, but that happens when i roam mindlessly around not being aware of the environment.

• For the ones that state this is a casual game The players that began years ago playing it casual now are hardcore. the same that in some time the actual casuals will be. they need maps adequate for they level to ensure longevity, something that other MMOs failed to provide.

Well, you’re a pro, and we’re noobs. Obviously. And not only that, but our skill ceiling is far far lower than yours. I’m peaked already and I die horribly to dead mobs. Yes, i ’m THAT bad.

It is a casual game, I can play it. And no, not all casuals are hardcore now. I joined years ago as casual, and casual i’ve remained. I guess we’re not deserving of anet’s affections and our money are no good? If that’s the case they should really do the honorable thing and let us know about it. I don’t want to blow 100 euros for a game that doesn’t want or value me as a customer. Honesty is the best approach i feel.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Anet! Could you please up the difficulty of mobs? I am casual player who plays with a blind fold on and I found it way too easy. THANKS.

;D

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

Now I don’t understand this complains. Seriously i main a ranger ut i’ve been playing with a reaper and a DH. Classes i don’t really know well but i didn’t have any trouble with the game.
Actually i find the trash mobs even easy. I don’t see real difficulty in the snipers and i roam alone.
Did i die? sure, but that happens when i roam mindlessly around not being aware of the environment.

• For the ones that state this is a casual game The players that began years ago playing it casual now are hardcore. the same that in some time the actual casuals will be. they need maps adequate for they level to ensure longevity, something that other MMOs failed to provide.

Well, you’re a pro, and we’re noobs. Obviously. And not only that, but our skill ceiling is far far lower than yours. I’m peaked already and I die horribly to dead mobs. Yes, i ’m THAT bad.

It is a casual game, I can play it. And no, not all casuals are hardcore now. I joined years ago as casual, and casual i’ve remained. I guess we’re not deserving of anet’s affections and our money are no good? If that’s the case they should really do the honorable thing and let us know about it. I don’t want to blow 100 euros for a game that doesn’t want or value me as a customer. Honesty is the best approach i feel.

actually i’m not that good neither you are that bad.
The problem i see now is that you will need to addapt. If you can play in the Silverwastes or Shouthern Cove you’ll be able to play in this map as well. But first we’ll have to learn how to get around because the enemies now react to our actions, which is good.
Also just saying but you don’t need to spend 100€ in the game, you have other versions.

But believe me when i say this, if you don’t give up that easy not only you’ll end up playing this maps but also you’ll see how they are not that difficult as at first we thought.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Imo a big difference between the HoT areas and the Silverwastes/Southsun is related to the terrain. In Southsun/Silverwastes I can solo run through there as there is enough room to maneuver or avoid mobs, especially in a fight, without involving other groups of mobs. With the HoT, there will be a number of hard hitting mobs in a narrow lane that I can’t skirt around and if I try to fight, I get in range of more mobs or come up against a wall or drop off. It means a constant need to hack my way through a seemingly endless series of trash mobs that can’t be avoided while I’m trying to get to the fun stuff, the events. It’s not challenging so much as it’s tiring.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

I’m loving the new mobs!

Veteran Stoneheads that force you to dodge/stab/block/use blinds.

Hunters/Snipers that melt like butter but hit like a ton of bricks need to be focused on early with blinds/blocks/reflects but a few hits on them and they go poof.

Veteran Tigers bug sometimes and get “stuck” and they also don’t hit very hard. They seem a little underwhelming.

Veteran Spiders only hurt if you allow them to keep stacking poison on you and that cone of poison misses half the time. They are not too hard to deal with and may need a few tweaks. They remind me of the drakes out in SW…kind’ve worthless.

The Mushroom Soldiers feel just right. Allow them to swarm and hit you and you will die quickly.

The Mushroom Poppers (awesome name btw) have slick animations and sounds. They feel just about right.

The Veteran Beetle we have experienced before in DT and they are perfect as is.

The Veteran Spotted Beetle is new and they have some funny…errr I mean cool animations. Bring some stab/blinds/condi cleanse. They are a challenging opponent (especially with adds) and feel just right.

Stalkers (like assassins) are a good fight and some timely dodging and dps makes quick work of them.

Smokescales are the one mob that I haven’t figured out yet. They seem to kill my zerker builds in a blink of an eye (especially those veterans and if they sneak up on you!) and fighting them alone is rather suicidal. I will continue to experiment on tactics vs the Smokescale but so far it’s the only mob that gets the better of me consistently out in the beta so far.

Final note: Stepping out into a new level 80 area with new yet played specializations is challenging. The more time I spent learning my specializations and the enemy mobs tells/skills the easier the fights got. Happy hunting!

Edit: Just had my first solo Veteran Smokescale kill on my zerker reaper and it felt so good! Lure them out of their mists, blinds/blocks/CC and good damage worked pretty well. Now to refine this and try it on a mob of them:P

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

(edited by Bandit.8279)

PorceleinEve.2973

actually i’m not that good neither you are that bad.
The problem i see now is that you will need to addapt. If you can play in the Silverwastes or Shouthern Cove you’ll be able to play in this map as well. But first we’ll have to learn how to get around because the enemies now react to our actions, which is good.
Also just saying but you don’t need to spend 100€ in the game, you have other versions.

But believe me when i say this, if you don’t give up that easy not only you’ll end up playing this maps but also you’ll see how they are not that difficult as at first we thought.

There are 2 distinct issues at play here that folks tend to lump up together.

Difficulty of the actual mobs, and density of said mobs. Even if the mobs are easy to deal with, if it’s one on top of the other that’s still an issue. And again let me say that we’re talking about trash mobs here. There is a reason we’re calling them that.

Ultimately the company needs to balance the mob’s difficulty and density not on the needs of the people with ascended gear and legendary weapons but on the needs of a fresh lvl 80 who moved into the maguuma jungle. He needs to be able to quest in there (well “quest”) with some relative comfort. I mean they’ve already abolished all ideas of story and theme for a zone and they go with the concept of box with events so we can grind like hamsters on the wheel. Might as well make that not a chore.

Of course it’s their game and they can up or down the difficulty as much as they want, but since i feel that us casuals are the lifeblood of the game, that maybe our needs should be considered to.

Well, I don’t have to spend a dime for the game, they still haven’t convinced me that this isn’t some quick cash grab with 3 map/boxes were they expect us to grind events like idiots for some elusive progression that’s not even applicable to the whole world but those 3 boxes only. That’s still not my idea of an expansion. And yet, i still like the story enough to get the expansion but not if i’m gonna get cancer from trash mobs. I have other stuff I have to worry about in my life, trash mobs in a game shouldn’t be one of them.

In the end, i like the game for what it is now, and i really want this meager “expansion” to succeed cause i’m still hoping for a proper one in 1.5 years after this one. And all i see since this expansion was announced is a deliberate attempt to make everything more grindy and prolonged without actuall reason… went off topic. sorry thread…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

1) I never felt that Southsun was all that difficult. I don’t spend much time there because it is boring (to me). The Karka are a bit more interesting to fight than many mobs in other zones but the zone design itself just isnt appealing.

2) I would hope that new mobs and new content would be difficult at first. The expectation would be that difficulty drops over time as players learn the mobs and the content.

3) I completely agree with Just a Flesh Would that having to chop your way through layer after layer of mobs to get where you want to go seems likely to get old fast. I like to explore and often prefer to not fight every step of the way in order to see the sights. Its hard to stop and smell the roses when your are being shot at.

4) A mob that pops up behind you, taking advantage of a decision to not maintain situational awareness, should be able to kill you. If a level appropriate mob that you are ignoring cannot kill you then mobs, and so combat, shouldn’t exist. If you go into the jungle alone you best watch your six or Charlie will get you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

One thing I’m wondering about with the people who are proclaiming how much they love the new mob difficulty, is how much is due to them simply being bored. Months with no new content, not even a festival, and suddenly a new map (ok, part of a map), new mobs, new mob skills, a new profesion, new elites, new weapon skills, new utilities. It’s all new, new, new!

And now they aren’t bored.

But in a couple of months after the expansion starts and they are trying to get to a place on a map and in front of them are a long series of these trash mobs again, will they still be excited to fight them? And when they leave that site and try to get to the next one through another long series of trash mobs that have to be hacked through, will that be exciting too?

I guess time will tell.

ANet may give it to you.

Bandit.8279

These snipers one shot my mesmer every time i come across them, they need a bit of toning down imo. It’s especially bad when there’s more than one of them, it’s insta death, not fun.

Are you kidding me?! Mesmers have so many stealth/block/reflect options this comment just made me laugh. One reflect and those snipers go poof. GG

Posted by: Bee.7081

Bee.7081

I like the mob difficulty as it is now. Only had hard time first meeting the smokescales, later on if I happened to run into 3 of them in a bunch.
Just bring them on!

If you want to skip the mobs, you might try to run through them? obviously, when there is an event in that area, it won’t happen. But other than that I could run through mobs (dodge here and there, blink etc), then take the glider, or reach a bouncing mushroom. It takes some time to find the shortcuts, but they are there on the map.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

~Snip~
But not every mob needs to be like that, and Verdant Brink is one of the first maps a new player to the expansion sees. If they’re a returning player who hasn’t played in months, then they’re probably seriously out of form. There’s a time and a place for unforgiving content, and the very first map of an expansion might not be it.

~Snip~

Have to completely disagree with this statement, keep in mind you’re entering Verdant Brink from Silverwastes, and you’re that much closer to Mordermoth. There had kitten well better be harder mobs the minute I enter that map, though technically there’s absolutely nothing when you first enter the map…zero enemies, so it could lull you into a false sense of security. If people are consider this unforgiving…I really wonder what they’re going to say as we move deeper into the jungle and even closer to Mordremoth.

I’ll add my own thoughts on whether or not I’d fight these mobs for 2 – 3 hours as PorceleinEve asked: absolutely, I can myself spending 3 – 6 hours endlessly fighting these mobs. Why you might ask…specifically because they’ll make you forget everything else that is going on around you…you can forget about RL and just get involved in the game…but not as if it’s work, but for fun…real fun.

(edited by Zaklex.6308)

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Did you srsly complain about trashmobs dificulty?

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ll add my own thoughts on whether or not I’d fight these mobs for 2 – 3 hours as PorceleinEve asked: absolutely, I can myself spending 3 – 6 hours endlessly fighting these mobs. Why you might ask…specifically because they’ll make you forget everything else that is going on around you…you can forget about RL and jm ust get involved in the game…but not as if it’s work, but for fun…real fun.

I’m glad you’re having so much fun, endlessly killing the same mobs for hours. However while some may wish to spend hours every day endlessly fighting these mobs, for day after day after day, no doubt for months on end, others are not so interested and shouldn’t be expected to fight at the same intensity.

What the game developers should remember is called, moderation in everything. There needs to be varieties of difficulty. To have all the trash mobs at essentially the same level of difficulty is about as much fun as listening to a one note song. No matter how novel at first, eventually it gets monotonous and that one note starts sounding more like fingernails on a blackboard.

The majority of trash mobs, even in a hostile map, either need to be true trash mobs or the density of the mobs needs to be reduced. If there are going to be higher difficulty mobs, space them out so its not one after another after another after another after another….

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

For now it’s hard to move around…just to move around sometimes because there’s tons of mobs, too much of them in my way usually. I don’t have the time to explore, to enjoy the game, I have to fight like 5 mobs just to move a few meters ahead.
There’s too many mobs on the map, that is my problem. Not the difficulty, but the amount of them.

When I started playing the beta on Friday I first wanted to explore the map solo. There where other players around but mostly I was roaming solo with the standard beta-gear with my ele/tempest.

I run into a lot of mobs and died often. I did not wanted to fight, because it took very long and there were a lot of mobs and during a fight there were more and more.

But after a while I learned which mobs I should avoid and which mobs I could run through (when I was fast). And how to escape them. Most mobs don’t climb. So you can take a look for steps or stones where you can jump onto. Just two or three jumps higher and you are safe and you can wait there a moment until the mobs loose interest. And then you can run to the next safe spot.

Thats how I explored the map solo on last friday. Yes, it was not so easy as on non-80 maps.

And after I got the mushroom-jump mastery skill and the glider skill it became much easier for me to go from one point to the other without fighting and with avoiding the mobs. It just takes a little time to learn the map and get the skills.

Yes, I can understand that not all players like this kind of “challenging exploration”.

But I think it is not so bad, as you think. Maybe give the map a second chance.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

For now it’s hard to move around…just to move around sometimes because there’s tons of mobs, too much of them in my way usually. I don’t have the time to explore, to enjoy the game, I have to fight like 5 mobs just to move a few meters ahead.
There’s too many mobs on the map, that is my problem. Not the difficulty, but the amount of them.

When I started playing the beta on Friday I first wanted to explore the map solo. There where other players around but mostly I was roaming solo with the standard beta-gear with my ele/tempest.

I run into a lot of mobs and died often. I did not wanted to fight, because it took very long and there were a lot of mobs and during a fight there were more and more.

But after a while I learned which mobs I should avoid and which mobs I could run through (when I was fast). And how to escape them. Most mobs don’t climb. So you can take a look for steps or stones where you can jump onto. Just two or three jumps higher and you are safe and you can wait there a moment until the mobs loose interest. And then you can run to the next safe spot.

Thats how I explored the map solo on last friday. Yes, it was not so easy as on non-80 maps.

And after I got the mushroom-jump mastery skill and the glider skill it became much easier for me to go from one point to the other without fighting and with avoiding the mobs. It just takes a little time to learn the map and get the skills.

Yes, I can understand that not all players like this kind of “challenging exploration”.

But I think it is not so bad, as you think. Maybe give the map a second chance.

I guess it will be at least a great place for griefers, where after a while the players
who know the map can train the new players all day.

And yes .. i really see this happen that in the end its just trying to outrun all
the oh so big challenge .. because everybody gets sick of it very fast.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Manifibel.8420

Manifibel.8420

There’s a lot of opinions here so I will just add my own. Sorry if I repeat someone.

First of. The breakbar on some the Champion mobs in events is impossible to even try and get down, unless everyone in the zerg uses a CC, thats my experience so far. It seems like it scales way to high at some point. I remember fighting a Champion Husk, and I was able to with use of cc from Malyx aoe field and weapon cc on Revenant to stun it, while a Champion Zintl Beetle Rider was impossible to even get 10% down when useing all my CC.

When I first entered the story instance and after that Verdant Brink. I found myself getting downed and dying a lot! Maybe because we where a pretty big zerk doing the Laranthir outpost events, and I was playing the Revenant for the second time ever on Zerg gear.

But as the hours went by and I got used to the area and Revenant and people started to spread out, I found I died less. Call me noob if you want.

The Mordrem ranger guys hit for A LOT! I can go from like 14k health to zero really fast if I don’t dodge or do anything to them. I actually don’t wanna see them nerfed because they give me a bit of a challenge, which we really haven’t had much of in the game ever in the open world. I remember I fought one at some point, he kicked me, dodged away, and either did the flurry or the line, I took like 50% damage, I got into melee and he kicked me again, and I ended up dying. I was like wow, I suck, which is a good thing!

Also the Modrem Assassin type mob hits like a truck if you stay in the flurry attack! The positive thing about this is, its so simple to counter. Simply… Move away! But sometimes if you get knocked down and they attack you, you die! Its not because they are OP, its because the mobs cought you off guard with cc.

I remember fighting the Mushroom guys in the cave when hunting with the Itzel. A champion in the back firing projectiles at us. I went to start attacking it while a group of 4-5 people where rezzing a person I think. And a few seconds later we where all dead. A Mushroom guy exploded on them, and they all died. Not because it was op. But because they probably did not move when it died next to them.

A final thing. Yes some of the mobs are hard, and there are at times a lot of them in the same area. Thats the idea behind the map if I am correct. Its supposed to feel like its dangerous to be in the wild at night. And while there are plenty of mobs that are hard, some of them are also easy. The Beetles we have seem before doesn’t hit for a lot in my experience and are some of the easier mobs, the tigers itsn’t much of a threat either imo. I feel like its a good mix of some challening mobs, and some mobs that are easier to handle without much trouble.

Dungeons being about how fast you clear then compared to being able to clear them makes me sad.

Posted by: Kitabake.8291

Kitabake.8291

MOAR HARD kitten, mastery power to kill hard kitten not needed

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

There was one part in the personal story where I entered this cave-like zone (before you walk up the stairs to face the boss), and there was some enemy archer. It 1 or 2 hit me (can’t remember but it was so quick), and I was like WTF. My Revenant was wearing ascended celestial too, so for the enemy to 1 or 2 hit me, I thought was quite OP.

Other than that particular enemy, and despite thinking the little raptors deal quite a lot of damage, I think it’s fine, because I can kill the raptors with my elementalist with ease, and if I have trouble there surviving, I can always use a different character.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: superherofan.8042

superherofan.8042

I felt like I had to change my builds to add more toughness/vitality with these new mobs. Which isn’t a bad thing necessarily. Some of the fights were endless, but I don’t know if that was the real mechanic (like bombing the wall event) or just the bugs where it doesn’t work. There’s a lot of this boss is unvunerable unless you kill whatever that is not very clear at all.

When there are creatures that give no damage when X happens, they should say so on the tooltips to explain the big “0” on the screen.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

I don’t understand how people say it’s harder to run zerkers in VB compared to Silverwastes and other level 80 zones. All the mobs I’ve seen either have obvious tells (smokescales, trolls, snipers) or do so little damage I can facetank them as a zerker tempest. Compared to SW leeching thrashers that snipe you in 3 hits in some obscure location or Orr events where you die for no reason, I actually think VB is easier in most aspects.

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

snipers? pop reflect, alt tab….. yawnnn

make them more fun and give them weapon stow!

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: krzysiek.9061

krzysiek.9061

I had problems only with the Revenant. I had no problems with every other class/spec with mobs from Maguuma. Please, ANet, don’t change it! You did that with BWE for GW2 and it was a mistake. The difficulty of the PvE content it’s a joke because of that.
Leave it as it is.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

so you are suggesting you lack the ability to improve and adapt by repetition and applying thought to problems, a basic ability every human being has and usually enjoys actually?

Bandit.8279

There was one part in the personal story where I entered this cave-like zone (before you walk up the stairs to face the boss), and there was some enemy archer. It 1 or 2 hit me (can’t remember but it was so quick), and I was like WTF. My Revenant was wearing ascended celestial too, so for the enemy to 1 or 2 hit me, I thought was quite OP.

Other than that particular enemy, and despite thinking the little raptors deal quite a lot of damage, I think it’s fine, because I can kill the raptors with my elementalist with ease, and if I have trouble there surviving, I can always use a different character.

Or you could learn more about playing your new class and use hammer #4 or sword #4 to block the ranged attacks along with some timely dodging. Not to mention once you can get dps on those pesky Hunters/Snipers they die pretty easily so always focus on them when you can. NPC’s can take a hit so let them engage first if you want to play it safe.

Posted by: meeflak.9714

meeflak.9714

(Didn’t play beta) but if mob difficulty is hard enough to make people QQ. GOOD! Keep it hard, make it harder! This game needs challenging, rewarding content. I love this game to death. I’ve been playing since launch, I miss getting my faced kicked in those first few weeks of running dungeons, I missed when no one stacked in a corner. Personal story used to be so much fun! Back when you could keep playing through the levels. Being level 25 working your way into a level 30 story, or higher, however high you wanted !

Dungeons are too easy, personal story is too easy, orr is too easy, leveling is too easy, most open world bosses are too easy. I’m not saying make this game hard core! I’m saying bring back a little bit of the difficulty so we have to think again, utilize our builds, and feel like our characters have some actual power.

If we get into hot and the mods are face roll easy(111111112111111161111111) like they are now. Then by the time we learn the mobs mechanics it will be right back to where we are now.

Give us some actual game play.

All professions lvl 80. x2 elementalist
main Druid ~~Adalyn Del Rayna~~ [SIGH]
[Ehmry Bay]

Posted by: Vilkata.4725

Vilkata.4725

Just to add my feedback:

I like the level of difficulty right where it is, as long as things get harder in later maps. It’s a small step up from silverwastes difficulty, hopefully the next map will be a small step up from verdant brink and so on like that. Difficult content is good so long as the game is gradual enough to train players to deal with that difficulty.

Leader of The Quiddity [Quid]
Everything is a Nemesis plot.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

(Didn’t play beta) but if mob difficulty is hard enough to make people QQ. GOOD! Keep it hard, make it harder! This game needs challenging, rewarding content. I love this game to death.

The thing is .. its not rewarding .. its just trash mobs that drop the same trash
than other mobs, they are only harder to kill.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

A lot of the mobs are new and have new mechanics. People need time to learn them. I think with time they will learn to adapt. I personally am not finding it much more time consuming or difficult to kill a single NPC on the revenant then I do with any other NPC of equal level in the game.

Another thing. I understand that at night I can not just mosey my way walking though the mobs. At night it should be more difficult to get around. However nighttime is not obvious at the moment. I think once night is fixed that people will understand that it is night and they just need to bunker down and wait for it to be over then get moving. I do not want this feeling to go away.

Also with gliding it makes movement less difficult and annoying. Once people unlock gliding they will no longer have a issue.

The difficulty of mobs at night remind me of Orr back when it was harder. During day the difficulty of mobs remind me of Orr as it is now. I think it is honestly a density “issue” at night. Working as designed.

I was also playing as a Revenant a class a lot of people were saying they were having issues with. I am also normally what people would call a casual. I think the mob difficulty is perfect the way it is. Not too hard not too easy. I hope the boss fights(did not get to play one) will be a small challenge too.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: NitricRose.1863

NitricRose.1863

I’m no pro. I tried an elementalist and that was distinctly challenging with the new monsters. But between dodges, interrupts, blocks and reflections it’s quite possible to learn how to deal with them. I may need to redo my characters a little bit to give me more of those, but that’s fine.

It forces you to think and use your skills instead of just creating yet another boring power/precision dps character.

I love the new variety and mechanics. It’s so much nicer to get pocket raptors instead of some new big armor big damage monster. Excellent work GW2 team. Leave it as is.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Some mobs simply hit too hard, especially the Smokeskale or how it was called. Holy mother of god, those shiro teleport attacks are insane lol. I only played in Zerker gear though.

Of course most of us played classes/combinations they usually don’t play. I think if I played of of my mains it would’ve been easier.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Hopefully ANet includes:

• more boons, preferably every mob would use 1-3 boons on themselves and/or on their allies, which pretty much all player professions can do (especially Warriors and Guards). (Every player profession has atleast 1 boon strip)
  • few mobs that specialize on inflicting conditions and have low direct dmg output. These mobs can be glass cannon style or something, but will inflict alot of conditions on you, if you let them do so.
  • Wild animals, like wild boars, well, hopefully the ANet’s plan to update vanilla map and dungeon mobs will bring them up into being something, than berserker fodder.
I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

(Every player profession has atleast 1 boon strip)

I don’t think you have heard of rangers.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Prymaster.6317

Prymaster.6317

I feel the difficulty is good.

It’s not like the monsters are levels above us and just beat us with hard math. It’s being more dynamic than it has in the past where harder is simply they have more hit points and defense. Even if I’m tanky, i have to pay attention to what I’m doing in this beta, and realize what monsters I’m fighting. The update with traits you guys had given us allows us to do so much more and it’s something that we’ll need to the level of difficulty you’ve given us. I don’t know how newer players would take it, (it took me a long time to get dodges) but I feel you’ve given us the skills we need to succeed when it comes to taking on these mobs. I think it’s just going to take time for people to get acclimated to them.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Difficulty seemed good to me. I wouldn’t mind it being 10% harder.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

(Every player profession has atleast 1 boon strip)

I don’t think you have heard of rangers.

Didn’t notice that one…

Odd, that they don’t have one.

I guess ANet decided that Sigil of Nullification is the way for some professions that don’t have boon removals…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I didn’t see it, as I’ve not purchased. However, since I have a vested interest (whether I’ll buy the XPac or not), I’ll comment based on reports in this thread.

1. Mobs that require more thought and broader use of the game’s tools are a good thing, even in the persistent world.
  2. There’s a sweet spot for persistent world difficulty. I cannot comment as to whether VB has found it or not, but I suspect that if the difficulty level needs to come down, then mob density rather than individual mob difficulty would be what to address.
  3. No matter what difficulty level mobs start with, they’ll be perceived to be easier over time.
  4. While some people may want to return to the old days when venturing into an area meant having to form a party first, I’m highly doubtful a lot of people want that.
  5. I agree with Just a Flesh Wound and Ashen that a packed zone with harder mobs is not going to be fun for a lot of people over time. Again, density reduction might address this issue.
  6. I’ll confess to some disappointment in ANet’s continued failure to realize that one size fits all content is a blueprint for unhappy player demographics. Hard content enthusiasts want an adrenaline rush. Players who are playing to burn off stress do not want the same thing. Yet, ANet continues to insist on trying to shove them into the same content. They can’t please both groups with the same difficulty levels. Either they please the enthusiasts and alienate the others, or vice versa. This is why things like difficulty modes and instanced hard content were invented.

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

This thread explain exactly why gw2 fail with Endgame content.

Players complain about how hard mobs are, when it just take a couple of hours to understand how to face them. A tanky necro down in 2s because of 3 snipers? I highly doubt that since I play zerk necro and it never happened to me. But sure it may happened but it’s not surprising for a HL map in any RPG if you’re alone and not “focus”.
They complain about how hard it is to move alone in a HL map of a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYERS online kitten . You’re not suppose to run like a rabbit in a HL map in any RPG. And tbh after a couple of hours you come back to basics knowledge “go alone and move slowly or join a party” wich is the whole point of a MMO (not being alone).

Players ask for END GAME and HARD CONTENT and that’s what we have. And I seriously hope that Colin’s “Challenging Content” will be a lot more challenging.

Are you insinuating me for being incompetent? I was defending a rally point when those 3 snipers spawned on my location; I immediately activated my shroud mode and they still snipe me down in under 2 secs.

And your solution to hard mobs is to zerg up with other players? What a contradictory statement to make !! Challenge is too much for solo play? Form a zerg and the challenge is gone !!! Just follow the commander tag and massacre any mobs that stands in the zerg’s way; that’s a solution alright. As a matter of fact, that’s what happened during the beta; Players were already resorting to zerg tactics to overcome the challenges. At the end of the day, players will settle for efficiency over artificial “challenge”. Challenge is nothing more than just a ego-talk.

PorceleinEve.2973

so you are suggesting you lack the ability to improve and adapt by repetition and applying thought to problems, a basic ability every human being has and usually enjoys actually?

yes i’m at my peak right now, my physical and cognitive abilities are as high as they can go i’m afraid.

especially when the problem is mob density and respawn times. no matter how much i try to problem solve i always reach the same conclusion. the company should reduce the mob density and increase the respawn timer. leading to fewer mobs all around the map.

individual mob difficulty could or could not be overcome with my current mental and physical abilities (remains to be seen, i’m very weak as you no doubt noticed yourself). depends entirely on how bothersome, tiresome i’ll find the whole affair. if it feels like working at any moment, instead of fun, i’m afraid i’ll just crack internally. i just don’t have the mental resilience and persistence you do my friend. i’m deeply sorry if that annoys or offends you.

anduriell.6280

Hopefully ANet includes:

• more boons, preferably every mob would use 1-3 boons on themselves and/or on their allies, which pretty much all player professions can do (especially Warriors and Guards). (Every player profession has atleast 1 boon strip)
  • few mobs that specialize on inflicting conditions and have low direct dmg output. These mobs can be glass cannon style or something, but will inflict alot of conditions on you, if you let them do so.
  • Wild animals, like wild boars, well, hopefully the ANet’s plan to update vanilla map and dungeon mobs will bring them up into being something, than berserker fodder.

Not every class in game. Rangers does not have any skill that do that. And that make to play a ranger in Southern Cove to be the mode hard++ when you can not strip retaliation from the karkas without having to loose one damaging sigil for boon stripping.

I TOLD YOU SO

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

I never even opened a website that shows you how to make builds for GW2, and I don´t run Berserk stuff by principle. And still, I have yet to encounter a single, common trash mob in GW2 which I could not defeat after seeing how it works. This casual players don´t want to invest time and effort stuff is really baffling me, especially when counting in that the people incapable of learning like Algreg has put it so brilliantly probably just have to run it for a limited time before they can return to safer grounds like Orr.

As an example:
A friend of mine, who is a doctor and father of 2 children, likes to relax in a horrible korrean grinder in the tradition of Silk Road after playing Diablo and even Ultima Online for years. He is far from stupid or lazy and he knows his min-maxing, but still spends a lot of time away from the game because of hospital commitments and to have time for the family. Now I am entirely unsure if he is a casual or a hardcore gamer, but I am pretty sure that even if you are incapable of becoming a doctor(I surely am incapable), you can learn by observation in a matter of hours or maybe days if you are a really bad observer.^^

anduriell.6280

ç

1. I’ll confess to some disappointment in ANet’s continued failure to realize that one size fits all content is a blueprint for unhappy player demographics. Hard content enthusiasts want an adrenaline rush. Players who are playing to burn off stress do not want the same thing. Yet, ANet continues to insist on trying to shove them into the same content. They can’t please both groups with the same difficulty levels. Either they please the enthusiasts and alienate the others, or vice versa. This is why things like difficulty modes and instanced hard content were invented.

Actually all i saw from Anet this last years is just that: trying to deliver a High level maps for hardcore players.
That was the initial idea for the dungeons and when they failed the put on the Fractals.
High level content for the enthusiast. However time has proven that is a wrong approach. Even forcing you to grind their unique currency to get some legendaries the fractals and dungeons are empty if not for the speed farming runs and that kind of runs have a very high possibility to make a toxic community where only if your class and gear are the Meta of the month will be accepted.

I think Anet is taking the right step making this maps more difficult than the old ones. This is an expansion for level 80+ players that are looking into something more interesting than chestfarming in the silverwastes for gold and don’t have the class to run on PvP or roam in WvW (necros and rangers i’m looking at you) .

I think the AI is nice, and the mobs very interesting. I hope it only gets better, being the mob able to ambush you more effectively. Right now they decide their targets choosing for not only your armour/vitality stats, but also for what you do and stay. It seems that also choose their objectives individually so they don’t stack and even if you are fighting in a small group one of the snipers may notice you. Just i hope they keep working on that so they could become even smarter and more surprising.
Very nice indeed.

I TOLD YOU SO

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

One thing I’m wondering about with the people who are proclaiming how much they love the new mob difficulty, is how much is due to them simply being bored. Months with no new content, not even a festival, and suddenly a new map (ok, part of a map), new mobs, new mob skills, a new profesion, new elites, new weapon skills, new utilities. It’s all new, new, new!

And now they aren’t bored.

But in a couple of months after the expansion starts and they are trying to get to a place on a map and in front of them are a long series of these trash mobs again, will they still be excited to fight them? And when they leave that site and try to get to the next one through another long series of trash mobs that have to be hacked through, will that be exciting too?

I guess time will tell.

If it’s like Orr once we kill Mordremoth they will reduce the density of the mobs. Until then, Mordremoth reigns. Which mostly makes sense from a game play perspective. While the map is new it will need a high density of enemies to keep up with the high density of players.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Imo a big difference between the HoT areas and the Silverwastes/Southsun is related to the terrain. In Southsun/Silverwastes I can solo run through there as there is enough room to maneuver or avoid mobs, especially in a fight, without involving other groups of mobs. With the HoT, there will be a number of hard hitting mobs in a narrow lane that I can’t skirt around and if I try to fight, I get in range of more mobs or come up against a wall or drop off. It means a constant need to hack my way through a seemingly endless series of trash mobs that can’t be avoided while I’m trying to get to the fun stuff, the events. It’s not challenging so much as it’s tiring.

Gliding.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Gliding.

Doesn’t work all that great when you’re going uphill, or on the same level for that matter.

ANet may give it to you.

Yargesh.4965

Gliding.

Doesn’t work all that great when you’re going uphill, or on the same level for that matter.

going uphill turn around and jump, you are not affected by damage enough so that you are knocked out of the air (yet). Have not found a lot of flat ground so while it is a problem it is not a huge one.

Bandit.8279

(Didn’t play beta) but if mob difficulty is hard enough to make people QQ. GOOD! Keep it hard, make it harder! This game needs challenging, rewarding content. I love this game to death.

The thing is .. its not rewarding .. its just trash mobs that drop the same trash
than other mobs, they are only harder to kill.

We don’t know what the rewards are yet.

Not to mention I was having heaps of fun taking on hordes of Veteran Spiders on my Reaper. Ripping through stalkers and Veteran Stoneheads on my Assassin Revenant. And that first solo kill from my Reaper on the deadly Veteran Smokescale was absolutely sublime.

No greater reward in a video game then having fun!

Just a flesh wound.3589

Gliding.

going uphill turn around and jump, you are not affected by damage enough so that you are knocked out of the air (yet). Have not found a lot of flat ground so while it is a problem it is not a huge one.

If I’m making my way to an ongoing event uphill from me, how in the world does turning around and jumping get me where I want to go? Or did you not even bother to read the post?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

I only found the archers to be a bit much, full knight gear and being spam shot for 2k a pop was excessive. Also this poison explosion thing that critical me for 14k we’ll I was in valk gear (no tough)

Could be that I Play necro so I lack the active defenses other classes have so outside of Dodge no way to avoid those big hits.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Yargesh.4965

Gliding.

If I’m making my way to an ongoing event uphill from me, how in the world does turning around and jumping get me where I want to go? Or did you not even bother to read the post?

I am not trying to argue, I am giving advice. Turning around and gliding will take you out of combat. Since I have found that there are usually a couple of ways to get anywhere. This could be more convenient than bashing through a wall of mobs. Also these maps need to be thought in 3D. I think though people are going to have similar issues as underwater combat and not think in all available directions.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I don’t think it is about Vets vs Casuals. I think is more about smart vs strong. Sorry to say this, but IMO verdant brinks seems to reward players of the smart, dodgy, type more than the strong, kill-it-all ones. Going head on against the mobs doesn’t work anymore, and using Berserker gear will do you no good unless you are really good defending.

Even if you manage to survive, you need to focus more on the task at hand, (picking things, protecting things, etc) and less in clearing the area (wich you wouldn’t achieve, anyway, because the mobs respawn too fast).

So you need to adapt. Best example: Hammer Rev vs Sword Rev. Double swords are way faster to kill things, but the price is too high. In the end, ranged Revs get the job done better and die less… but you also need to position yourself in a good place were you can make good sustained damage without atracting too much aggro. I was mostly moving around, climbing rocks, hiding behind pillars and luring stoneheads into walls, using swords only to kill mobs that really want a piece of me, but focusing in doing the most ranged damage I could. It was very fun, and effective.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks