Mobs difficulty feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

so you are suggesting you lack the ability to improve and adapt by repetition and applying thought to problems, a basic ability every human being has and usually enjoys actually?

yes i’m at my peak right now, my physical and cognitive abilities are as high as they can go i’m afraid.

especially when the problem is mob density and respawn times. no matter how much i try to problem solve i always reach the same conclusion. the company should reduce the mob density and increase the respawn timer. leading to fewer mobs all around the map.

individual mob difficulty could or could not be overcome with my current mental and physical abilities (remains to be seen, i’m very weak as you no doubt noticed yourself). depends entirely on how bothersome, tiresome i’ll find the whole affair. if it feels like working at any moment, instead of fun, i’m afraid i’ll just crack internally. i just don’t have the mental resilience and persistence you do my friend. i’m deeply sorry if that annoys or offends you.

your ability to write elaborate language certainly speaks against that – I rather think you act the inapt fool for some “bad player agenda” you are not actually involved in personally

PS: Though I agree with you in general that “casual” is the way to go when you want to earn big money and keep your game alive. Even as I lament the degeneration of western society, I cannot deny it. And I certainly don´t expect a gaming company committing acts of martyrdom

(edited by Algreg.3629)

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

I found that most mobs during the beta weekend were a little weak compared to my ranger. The thing I most fear is being buffed so much that the mobs outside of the HoT area will be pitifully inadequate. The more people are buffed the more mobs need to be buffed to compensate.

This needs to be a challenge, otherwise people will get bored, the problem is the level of challenge. Too much and the weaker players may give up. A training area might help. Perhaps under the guise of few survivors setting up an advice camp? Getting people used to new challenges before they face them could mean they are ready rather than just using their old methods.

Flattening down the peak damage of the top players might help too, and make the whole game more challenging for them… (cue complaints)

Posted by: PorceleinEve.2973

PorceleinEve.2973

your ability to write elaborate language certainly speaks against that – I rather think you act the inapt fool for some “bad player agenda” you are not actually involved in personally

PS: Though I agree with you in general that “casual” is the way to go when you want to earn big money and keep your game alive. Even as I lament the degeneration of western society, I cannot deny it. And I certainly don´t expect a gaming company committing acts of martyrdom

I may or may not suck at this game. that’s a fact and I mean it!

Now the problem we’re having here, is one of communication. Anet goes on and says silly stuff like we want feedback. The more I think about it the more I’m starting to believe that they really don’t.

Feedback on what exactly. I mean let’s recap for a moment the arguments here.

First, anet gives out exotics for the testing so it’s safe to assume that’s the entry lvl gear. Can’t remember who told me that (was a couple of people) but they are right. So to enter the new maps you need exotics. So none of that what will new players gonna do. The answer is farm and go get some exotics.

And then someone else (can’t remember his name) that they might have jacked up the density and respawn timers cause it was only 25% of a map and -everyone- was in there. And you know what? He’s probably right too

So what exactly are we testing here? They don’t communicate to us the objective of the test so how can we give feedback? How can we comment on the respawn times, or the density, or the normal, veteran, champ distribution, when they just don’t talk to us. All they say is give us feedback.

And then it’s that quote from collin. To quote one of my favourite bloggers Inventory full

>>They do seem to be mordantly committed to making things slower, more painful and more tedious. Sorry, sorry. Off message. Of course I mean more challenging, fun and involving. As they put it in the request for focused feedback after next week’s test:

“Do you feel the need to use your entire skill bar in battles?
Does teaming up with other players feel more rewarding?
Do you find yourself wanting to change your skills and traits to overcome encounters?
Warning—creatures will be more challenging than in the existing Guild Wars 2 world.”

To which I would expect my answers to be

“Why would I want to?
It already did, thanks.
At the risk of repeating myself, why would I want to?
If this is something I’m supposed to enjoy, why do you feel the need to issue a warning about it?”<<

I mean look at that.. look at those questions … need to use your entire bar in battle? really? do they not know that we can’t do that? we’ll have to use some of the kittenty skills now? and what about elites. does that mean that we should be using our elites on each and every battle? so if an elite has one minute cooldown it’s one battle per minute and then wait till the skill is available again?

Changing our skills around to over come challenge? So what, we’ll need to constantly change our selection of skills from battle to battle? that sounds awefully convenient and fun. If they wanted to use a greater variety of specs and mix up our skills a lot, give us build templates and 3 10 slot skillbars and -trust me- we’ll use them. Having us switch around this and that on X minutes intervals, doesn’t sound so much fun tbh.

And ofcourse they went silent. Cause god forbid they communicate with us about this “beta” testing thing, which feels more like a limited advertisement and hype move than actuall beta testing.

So, truly, the only possible feedback we can give in here, is if the mobs 3 shot you or 2 shot you or 1 shot you. Only this isn’t challenging. This is plain bad. A challenging mob has abilities and responds to your actions. And the people in here complained that they were being 3 shoted before they had a chance to respond. Only to be put down by people who were either bored or found the perfect opportunity to let the world know how awesome players they are cause they didn’t fell for it.

Anyways, every time I end up writting up small essays and nagging, but that’s only because I love the game and care enough about it to want to see it succeed.

And shame on them for 4 maps only. Shame on you anet, that’s a huge debt that would need to be repayed on the next expansion.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I enjoy challenging content as well but the “Snipers” are way over the top right now. If you’re targeted by 2 of them you have no chance of survival and with the amount of particle effects it becomes very difficult to see and counter before dropping dead. I think they just need to be toned down about 25% so that two cant drop you instantly. Range is more forgiving but good luck as a melee currently.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Dropping the Damage by 25% is way too much. The Snipers are glasscannons. If you nerf them this hard, they wouldn’t only drop fast but do also too little damage to compensate the HP they have.

Snipers arenT’ really a problem in Group Events, where they drop so fast you nearly can’t see them ( Exception Champs )

To the new Mordrem Mobs:

Tormentor: Too weak. The only thing they really do are the growing AOE Fields. I like the Idea of AOEs that grow but what are the AOEs doing? Crippling, and thats it, they do so little damage you can stand in 3 of them simultaneously and be like " is there something". And this is while being Berserker. Also the HP Sacrificing. Never saw this because he got downed too quick. My suggestion is to increase the HP of the Tormentors. They have a HP Sacrificing Mechanic. They need HP. Also let the AOE Fields also apply Vuln to make it more punishing to step into these.

Punisher. Well. Break Bar is nice so they don’t get CC’ed to hell without being able to cast their knockdowns. The Damage they do is nice but not really high. The only thing that makes the Tormentor Dangerous is the Knockdown combined with the Snipershots. Could use some tuning

Snipers: Damage is nice, their HP is also nice ( nonexistent ). They try do keep a good Distance between you and him which is awesome. But the Targeting Symbol should be different from the one with the Trolls and the Bees. But since most are arguing about him, how about this. Either give him a Breakbar while he is Sniping and breaking it would cause him to shoot an ally or apply confusion or blind to him to let him shoot an ally ( but you still shouldn’t be in the way of the shot could be dangerous xD ). Just do it in a way that they dont become pushovers. They are fun to fight.

Smokescale: This is the one i have the most problems with. Being ambushed by 3 of them ( with one of him being a vet ) is mostly a death sentence. Engaging them with a plan is fun but to make it a bit less frustrating. Either make Groups out of three Normal ones or one Vet who is then harder to kill.

The Rest well: Pocket Raptors are funny little guys, laughed the first time I saw them. Didn’t Laugh the moment they all attacked me at once. They go down really fast but if I’m not wrong I would say they have something like a Swarm AI. Everytime I saw them attacking someone it was always the same person.
Stoneheads were also fun. LEtting them charge into walls was funny.

So some Mobs need to be tuned up and some could use a little tuning down ( a LITTLE ) but the new Mobs themselves have good Ideas and most of them are engaging enough that you can’t brainzerk them down and this is a good thing. We are fighting an army and they shouldn’t be pushovers like the Risen are.

Also keep in mind that this is a 80+ Reagion and such a Region shouldn’t be so easy that you can watch TV while killing Enemies with ease. And really 95% of the issues are L2P issues because the Mobs are new. After getting used they didn’t kill me so much anymore, like they did at the beginning.

Posted by: amplitudelol.1409

amplitudelol.1409

…“Do you feel the need to use your entire skill bar in battles?
Does teaming up with other players feel more rewarding?
Do you find yourself wanting to change your skills and traits to overcome encounters?
Warning—creatures will be more challenging than in the existing Guild Wars 2 world.”…

1. I use more and more often than i did in the previous max level zones and the combat feels better for it.

2. Yes.

3. I didnt find the mobs difficult enough to want to change my usual “outdoor farming” build to overcome them more efficiently.

Questions are totally legit.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My main thought when I was working my way through the area was, these maps had better have a ton of replayability as I would hate to be Mr Average Joe Schmo hitting this map sometime after all the YEAH HARD MOBS! group has come and gone and his first sight is a sea of red and no other players anywhere to help his lonely self do events.

What I think some people might have forgotten is, they were never alone in this map. There was always someone else (sometimes multiple someone else’s) coming up in a few minutes to help you fight or rez you if you died. The combat in this map is going to be a completely other thing for a solo player.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: xadine.7069

xadine.7069

My main thought when I was working my way through the area was, these maps had better have a ton of replayability as I would hate to be Mr Average Joe Schmo hitting this map sometime after all the YEAH HARD MOBS! group has come and gone and his first sight is a sea of red and no other players anywhere to help his lonely self do events.

What I think what some people might have forgotten is, they were never alone in this map. There was always someone else (sometimes multiple someone else’s) coming up in a few minutes to help you fight or rez you if you died. The combat in this map is going to be a completely other thing for a solo player.

for what’s following: YOU = not someone in particular
BUT this is NOT a solo game! This is a MMO you’re not suppose to be alone on the map and even if it happen (wich won’t be a problem for at least several months after the release) you shouldn’t forget that events scale up/down depending on who’s in range. And it is not hard to walk alone in VB if you use gliders and shrooms wich are design to do so. If you don’t want to start HoT by unlocking glider and shroom first, wich are design to improve your mobility in the map, don’t complain about “how hard it is to roam”!
And as it as been said several time, fighting those new mobs don’t take much longer than finghting against current mobs once you have understand how to face them. And if you get OS then change your zerk gear for a knight gear. Devs have said it quite a lot, HoT aim to change the current zerk meta in order to make support and buff more usefull. And I can assure you that by the end of the beta a lot of players were playing zerk and manage to not get OS every encounter. Sure it require you to change you current build and maybe equipe 1 spell that you don’t like, but if you want to walk while watching TV and spaming 1 you shouldn’t step in a High Level map in any game.

(edited by xadine.7069)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I’d make the snipers snipe attack stronger and make their rapid fire weaker. The annoying thing with that mob is the sustained high range damage with isn’t something fun to play against, especially when we’ll start seeing elite and champion snipers around :p

The killer shot is ok and does actually a little too weak damage for such a telegraph.

PorceleinEve.2973

Sure it require you to change you current build and maybe equipe 1 spell that you don’t like, but if you want to walk while watching TV and spaming 1 you shouldn’t step in a High Level map in any game.

What high lvl map? This is a lvl 80 map, like dry top, silverwastes, orr…

There are no high lvl maps in this game, we don’t have high lvls. What’s this 80+ I keep hearing in here? We don’t go over 80 remember?

amplitudelol.1409

Arenanet, this is absurd! I cant kill the mobs with the autoattack “i win” button. I can do that in every zone. Pls nerf this content to the ground – to the level of other zones. Plspls, this is very hard!! Im so afraid what is going to happen after 1 year when im out there alone in the jungle. This cant be right, i actually have to dodge enemies?? Really?? The skill cap is just way too much as it is already, pls nerf the jungle plspls.

Posted by: xadine.7069

xadine.7069

Sure it require you to change you current build and maybe equipe 1 spell that you don’t like, but if you want to walk while watching TV and spaming 1 you shouldn’t step in a High Level map in any game.

There are no high lvl maps in this game, we don’t have high lvls. What’s this 80+ I keep hearing in here? We don’t go over 80 remember?

When you reach the maximum level in a game you are by definition at the highest level, therefore a map made for lvl80 is a high level map. No one ever said 80+ map that just you been earing voices… And as you seem to forget but I do REMEMBER is that HoT (or at least this beta) was design to get players into “more painful and more tedious” fight (YOUR words not mine).

It require experience/time to reach the max lvl in a game and you’re suppose to learn the mecanics of the game while doing it. A high lvl map, or lets call it end game map since high level seems to disturb you, is suppose to give you the opportunity and the need to use what you learned before. Orr use to be like that but was nerf so quickly. Right now we have no PvE content that “justify” your lvl80, and you don’t have to USE your skill bar. But since you are able to say “Why do I want too” when you’re ask if you feel the need to use your full skill bar I don’t expect you to understand the real problem about difficulty in this game and it explain a lot about your previous posts on this thread…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

We don’t go over 80 but there is a precedent for increased difficulty in post launch level 80 content. I expect that this is because Anet recognizes that players who have been playing chaacters at 80 for any significant amount of time are likely to have improved their own skill at the game while also improving their characters’ performance.

Even a casual player, such as myself, is going to be better at playing his characters now than when he first hit level 80 months or years ago.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

BUT this is NOT a solo game! This is a MMO you’re not suppose to be alone on the map and even if it happen (wich won’t be a problem for at least several months after the release) you shouldn’t forget that events scale up/down depending on who’s in range.

Not supposed to be alone? Tell it to Dry Top. Several months? Maybe. Maybe not. This is going to depend almost entirely on rewards. And if the rewards take more than a month, we’ll see lots of “too grindy” posts. Event scaling? What’s the baseline? Are they groups events? And what about Silverwastes, where chest runners scale up events? Has ANet learned its lesson about competing goals?

These issues are never as simple as forum posters want to make them.

PorceleinEve.2973

*No one ever said 80+ map that just you been earing voices…

OMG no one ever… i feel so ashamed now… i’m hearing voices… and reading things…

Also keep in mind that this is a 80+ Reagion and such a Region shouldn’t be so easy that you can watch TV while killing Enemies with ease. And really 95% of the issues are L2P issues because the Mobs are new. After getting used they didn’t kill me so much anymore, like they did at the beginning.

I think Anet is taking the right step making this maps more difficult than the old ones. This is an expansion for level 80+ players that are looking into something more interesting than chestfarming in the silverwastes for gold and don’t have the class to run on PvP or roam in WvW (necros and rangers i’m looking at you) .

I hear about lvl 80+ zones, lvl 80+ characters… my situation is trully critical… is there a doctor in the house?

*And as you seem to forget but I do REMEMBER is that HoT (or at least this beta) was design to get players into “more painful and more tedious” fight (YOUR words not mine).

actually you DON’T remember all that well… those weren’t my words, but a direct quote from one of my favourite bloggers, and there was a link to take you to his blog also.
during this thread i’m getting constantly upgraded. I went from hearing voices to being a popular blogger. Oh my. Thank you all for your continuous support.

It require experience/time to reach the max lvl in a game and you’re suppose to learn the mecanics of the game while doing it. A high lvl map, or lets call it end game map since high level seems to disturb you, is suppose to give you the opportunity and the need to use what you learned before. Orr use to be like that but was nerf so quickly. Right now we have no PvE content that “justify” your lvl80, and you don’t have to USE your skill bar. But since you are able to say “Why do I want too” when you’re ask if you feel the need to use your full skill bar I don’t expect you to understand the real problem about difficulty in this game and it explain a lot about your previous posts on this thread…

I promise I will direct poor old bughpuss to your comments about his attitude with this game.

On a more serious note, there was a reason Orr got downgraded. Ignoring it won’t make it go away. I would also bring SSC in here, but hey… plus you’re confusing your need for challenging content with everyone else’s needs. But! there’s hope for you still, I hear a while back they hired raid designers so you’ll be getting at least some challenging content to keep you happy, you don’t need to enforce it to anyone who doesn’t want it. Challenge is much like pvp. When it’s not concentual, it’s no fun. I get it, you’re on the other group, don’t worry, nobody’s perfect.

Even a casual player, such as myself, is going to be better at playing his characters now than when he first hit level 80 months or years ago.

But nobody in here (except maybe me, and I’m in doubt) said that the content shouldn’t be challenging. Most here say that it shouldn’t be constantly challenging. There’s a difference. There aren’t enough ways to express it but, fighting for dear life in every single one transh mob fight you’ll have in there, won’t be fun for long. The map will fail.

It’s already going down with the pretty much forced gliding and mushrooms masteries you have to get just to avoid content. What’s the point of having the content if we’re choosing the option to avoid it. I mean look at all the suggestions in here for how to deal with the mobs. Run off till you can jump on a few rock steps and the mobs will reset. Get gliding it gets so much better. Use mushrooms to move around and avoid the mobs. If challenging mobs were such crazy fun I don’t think ppl would be looking for all these ways to avoid them. Doesn’t that tells us something? Anything?

In all honesty I hope they don’t change the difficulty and you guys get what you want. At least that way we’ll get a hands on feeling on what happens after 6 months of “challening” mobs. I have my thoughts…

amplitudelol.1409

too much text to quote

You are getting emotional. A nerf is unfortunately inevitable anyway but if it doesnt come with the next beta try another build, you might find the mobs 10x easier to deal with. But pls, lets be serious, whats happening in VB is far from what you can call a “challange”. Difficulty might not be ideal for someone who tries doing 100% map completion between midnight and dawn i give you that. That person seriously needs to turn off the television and stop eating snacks while playing .

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

[…] What about a new player with green gear or yellow. They don’t count? […]

A player going into HoT is not new. They have generally played enough PvE or WvW to get to level 80 and have excellent rare or exotic gear. Even without doing any crafting, it would be rather unusual for a player to make it to level 80 and not have found exotic gear replacements.

Plus the “new players” have the new leveling system that give strong gear just for leveling.

PorceleinEve.2973

You are getting emotional. A nerf is unfortunately inevitable anyway but if it doesnt come with the next beta try another build, you might find the mobs 10x easier to deal with. But pls, lets be serious, whats happening in VB is far from what you can call a “challange”. Difficulty might not be ideal for someone who tries doing 100% map completion between midnight and dawn i give you that. That person seriously needs to turn off the television and stop eating snacks while playing .

I hear voices, how can I not be emotional… give me a little credit here. All things considered I do pretty well with the voices, I think.

Yeah let’s be serious. that would be nice, wouldn’kitten

When do we start?

(edited by PorceleinEve.2973)

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

Doing a self-merge since I started a separate thread about Smokescales that didn’t get merged into this one:

Smokescale (esp. Veterans) are a bit silly OP really. Unnecessarily so, actually, given that they would be reasonably dangerous with their abilities toned down so that they didn’t have defenses and attacks most players would kill for. Specific issues:

Smokefield: This is some kind of uber blind field that most players would KILL to have access to. It appears to lasts a good deal of time (10+ seconds). Allows the Smokeskale to evade (i.e. invulnerable) while within it no effort on their part – in other words no dodging with endurance no mesmer like very short term blur effect on one weapon attack. No this ability feels like a good 10+ seconds of invuln vs. EVERYTHING. It would be less egregious if you could at least hit it with AOEs. Kiting it out of the field works a little bit (esp. against the normals) but the Veterans delay leaving the invulnerability field (BELIEVE IT – I watched it happen – gotta love that improved AI . . . most of the time). Oh and the “good” news (for the Smokescale) – it seems to have pretty short cool down (seems about 30 seconds, but maybe more like 40 – 45?). Even more good news (again, for the Smokescale) – the kitten ed field seems to last after it has left the field and and you have left the field. In other words you lose several attacks after its out of the field and you are out of the field. Of course the Smokescale has no problem hitting you. If that’s not lag on my end . . .its just BS on your end ANet. Seriously, their “mistfield” is nothing more than a glorified blind field – if my thief with offhand pistol isn’t invulnerable to all hand to hand and all ranged attacks why are they? I’m trying to think of a single ability that a player has access to that would be the equivalent of what you’ve given to these trash mobs (feels like about 33% invulnerability up time). So, I’m suggest a few changes – 1) treat this ability like a pulsing blind field (hell make it twice per second if that will make you feel good ANet) that would make hand to hand combatants miss so long as the were in it but not make them immune to ranged or AOE attacks; and/or 2) leave the field as is but make them vulnerable to AOE while in the field; and/or SIGNIFICANTLY increase the cool down on Smokefield.

Assault: The Shiro Sword Three Burst attack is ok on the normals, except that it does not seem to be dodgeable – that is you get one miss and the Smokeskale is immediately teleporting to you and hitting again. If its a channeled attack maybe it can be dodged if you can dodge twice in quick succession? It is blockable but that doesn’t mean much usually when the chain is 5 or 6 (or 7?) attacks. Assault might be interruptable (?) – but the best/quickest to use interrupt I can think of is thief pistol offhand 4 and you have to be facing it while its teleporting around you. Usually the PCs are outnumbered so while Shiro’s Sword 3 Revenant attack can flit around uncontrollably to multiple targets often times the Smokeskale just focuses down one target. Two to three normal Smokescales will probably down many solo players and on Veterans . . . well that can get a bit messy. My Zerk+PVT trinket with celestial gems Guardian was taking pretty significant damage (4225 damage even with Focus 5 absorbing three of the attacks). Hate to see what it would be like on a real squishy (thief or ele). Hate even more to see what that would be like on from Elite. Not much fun being one-shot by level 80 non-champs.

So let me say this before the moronic “get gud” and “all you need is life steal” or the “just kite them out of the field” (see the above in case you missed it) type posts in response: Most of the HOT mobs haven’t been too horrendous – they are tough but defeatable solo. Normals in pairs or triples, some Veterans handled readily enough but many are real challenge and I don’t mind it. Even the Mordrem snipers are acceptable (grumble grumble #$@*&^! snipers) once you understand what’s going on with them. I expect that we will get better, the community will learn how to deal with them one after another . . . but I’m not seeing how that going to work with Smokescales.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

PorceleinEve.2973

So let me say this before the moronic “get gud” and “all you need is life steal” or the “just kite them out of the field” (see the above in case you missed it) type posts in response: Most of the HOT mobs haven’t been too horrendous – they are tough but defeatable solo. Normals in pairs or triples, some Veterans handled readily enough but many are real challenge and I don’t mind it. Even the Mordrem snipers are acceptable (grumble grumble #$@*&^! snipers) once you understand what’s going on with them. I expect that we will get better, the community will learn how to deal with them one after another . . . but I’m not seeing how that going to work with Smokescales.

You’re 11 pages late :P

Nice feedback there

Posted by: Chazz.6709

Chazz.6709

Still have to say i feel me weak against 3-4 teragriffs or 2 teragriffs and a trasher or leecher that wants to put vines in my eyes.Those modremoths guards are fun and those mushrooms are also fun , but those smokescales could be easily abused to screw up so many things …. lure them to play and warp away tada !

“All genius said it’s impossible – until someone just did it.”

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

In my opinion mobs difficulty was good. when i played the story istance for the first time with an elementalist running a build similar to my main character, I even thought they were easy… people should realize that they were fighting against new mobs and probably their characters weren’t running optimal builds. and, well, we are going into the jungle’s deeps to fight an elder dragon, a bit of difficulty even in the open world is well accepted.

Exactly. We were using new unfinished specializations in a new area against strong opponents. Patience must be used to learn the new mob mechanics and our new builds. In time these mobs won’t seem so strong just like those in SW.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Anon.6283

Anon.6283

You die quite easily when you use berserker sets and dps builds, you can faceroll through everything if you use soldier etc. and defence builds.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

Anyone saying “hard mobs are bad because SSC” is being deliberately misleading because they know SSC has a lack of content and that is why it is empty, it has nothing to do with the mob difficulty.

SSC has a ton of content, there’s events kicking off all the time, champion mobs in static spawns, T4 resources to gather, unique resources, not to mention the Queen event, and two jumping puzzles. It is insanely difficult to move around SSC without bumping into an event or three.

SSC has content coming out the wazoo, anyone saying that there isn’t has either never been there, has a different definition of “content” to me, or is deliberately massaging the truth to back up their own arguments with regard to the popularity of challenging content.

SSC is a harder zone than any other currently in the game, has a denser number of events, and, aside from the Queen event, it is sparsely populated at best by players. It is a sad fact that people who insist on challenging content will hang around only for as long as that content is fresh, once they become used to it they will go off to join a zerg train and complain about how the game is too easy.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Anyone saying “hard mobs are bad because SSC” is being deliberately misleading because they know SSC has a lack of content and that is why it is empty, it has nothing to do with the mob difficulty.

SSC has a ton of content, there’s events kicking off all the time, champion mobs in static spawns, T4 resources to gather, unique resources, not to mention the Queen event, and two jumping puzzles. It is insanely difficult to move around SSC without bumping into an event or three.

SSC has content coming out the wazoo, anyone saying that there isn’t has either never been there, has a different definition of “content” to me, or is deliberately massaging the truth to back up their own arguments with regard to the popularity of challenging content.

SSC is a harder zone than any other currently in the game, has a denser number of events, and, aside from the Queen event, it is sparsely populated at best by players. It is a sad fact that people who insist on challenging content will hang around only for as long as that content is fresh, once they become used to it they will go off to join a zerg train and complain about how the game is too easy.

You’re talking nonsense, each camp is just an isolated point with 1 or 2 events. Nothing links them except the Karka Queen. Compare it to Drytop or Silver Wastes which have lots of linking events and things to do.

SSC has very little to do, saying “SSC has content coming out the wazoo” is an embarassing lie showing how desperate you are..

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

BUT this is NOT a solo game! This is a MMO you’re not suppose to be alone on the map and even if it happen (wich won’t be a problem for at least several months after the release) you shouldn’t forget that events scale up/down depending on who’s in range.

Not supposed to be alone? Tell it to Dry Top. Several months? Maybe. Maybe not. This is going to depend almost entirely on rewards. And if the rewards take more than a month, we’ll see lots of “too grindy” posts. Event scaling? What’s the baseline? Are they groups events? And what about Silverwastes, where chest runners scale up events? Has ANet learned its lesson about competing goals?

These issues are never as simple as forum posters want to make them.

Very good replay!

Didn’t know that chest farming could ramp up mobs density in SW. I have a feeling that during BWE and the last couple of days that there are less times where I have had TG/Trahsers etc spawning so fast that it is impossible to keep up.

My impression are that those player which watch TV at the same time as playing GW2/HoT will never be satisfied (or feel challenge) as that generation probably are capable of doing several things at once and have a mentality of easy getting “bored” fast.
The reason to get bored fast could be that they A) isn’t putting any real engagement in doing game content, but only want rewards B) as MMO are “social” in nature it is also highly possible social status in getting “bored”; meaning that this kind of player “master” what ever content better then the rest of player or at least want their fiends and enemies to know that they are better then they C) this kind of player do also rarely do things alone which make (A) involvement/engagement vs rewards also less likely as they rush through things as a group and (B) enforce this kind of behaviour as something ‘everybody are doing’.

Competing goals isn’t only from how ANet design this game, but also from players that very loudly make their voice heard (especially the younger generation which more or less have been grown up with FB, cell phones and social media).

Claiming to represent a majority doesn’t make any suggestion more right or wrong and even as a “majority” they should aim to cater for different minorities which exits in both a majority group by it self and those which disagree with this majority and very fast are being labelled to belong to a “minority” of player and that way reduce their claim on having anything worth while to say or should have any impact on what kind of “content” that could be possible to have in this game.

We (GW2) have both deaf, partially-sighted, people with different kind of movement impairment, older generation (and I guess even a 20-30 something will getting “older” one day) which doesn’t have the high reaction reflexes any more and also other kind of player who are enjoying to play this game and would actually want to continue enjoy this new map. Any game that just take or use “majority” speech as a “fact” is really not designing a game for variation (both in game and for how different players are playing).

HoT need to have content which is possible to manage for different kind of people (variation) and actually provide a “living” World as they so eager have used in their marketing of this game since at least GW2 was published. Make events that change during time, but with different option for difficulties, so L2P will mean that the elitist (often “easy bored”) will actually need to re-do/re-work their play style and at the same time provide optional “paths” that are easier for those that can’t keep up which would still provide rewards when player succeed, especially when they go into supportive roles to keep the small party or group a live. It is important that even soloing some paths will be possible to avoid dungons mentality of kicking people.

Latest Beta version of Revenant and Chronomancer seem to indicate both profession to be more capable of doing supportive roles (Wells for Chrono), so it is not impossible that HoT will go in a direction of a high DPS role for front liners damage/conditions and different supportive role for those other player with other important tools/roles to make it possible to keep up the high front-line damage.

To make it perfectly clear: Chronomancer had in this beta rather high damage and could still provide support for team/group support through Feedback, Wells, Elites like MI or TW and still do substantial damage/conditions and at the same time provide some condi cleansing/regeneration/protection/healing depending on skills, trait line and runes/sigils. Which means what I talk about is NOT exclusive roles, but mutually inclusive roles where everybody should be able to find a place and help out in the fight for Tyria.

(edited by ShadowCatz.8437)

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

I really like the idea of mobs that can kill you in 2 attacks (2 slow and easy to avoid attacks).
Yes, if there’s 2 or 3 of them that focus you you’re in troubles, but that will force players to go around in teams and finally play bunker builds in PvE!!

I really like to be forced into a PvE where I need to find at last other 3 players to be bale to go through some areas, to fight some mobs, and that I need a bunker in my team and/or a heal/support build.

That is the base for a build diversity in pve and for a cooperative play between players!

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

On regard Rangers having no boon strips:
It’s a good idea, to make rangers pick some utility over just “sigils of Air and Fire” or other DPS oriented combinations.
I’d do same for my Ranger, who’se Longbow right now has Accuracy and Air sigils, would love to swap the Air Sigil for Nullification, but right now it’d be a one trick pony, when looking at vanilla maps and dungeons *cough*Risen and everything*cough*

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

It might seem odd but I hated VB when running around with a group. I didn’t actually have fun and start enjoying myself until I created a mesmer just like my core game, GS wielding little Asura. Of course I only had exotics on the beta character so he was a bit underpowered. Once I mastered basic gliding, I was out soloing the area (as much as you can with so many people roaming about) having a ball. Yes, you die a lot but solo players deal with that all the time. Just learning how to move through the area with calculated running, jumping and gliding was the most fun I’ve had in a long time. I quickly learned what mobs I could handle, which to avoid, when to join in with others taking them down, and when to run away.

I’m hoping to do some mushroom lore next BWE. Gonna get higher…

(edited by Jimson.5168)

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

VB has a lot of potential. Yeah, there were some times I was running around and got killed (I’m looking at you smokescale packs) but I don’t feel anything needs nerfing. It’s a matter of learning how to fight things. I had a lot of fun just fighting mobs and figuring the best ways to approach them.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Snipers should do weak damage close range but instagib at far range similar to Ranger Longbow.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant