Mordremoth Final Fight Is Frustrating.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: An Arctic Fox.6312

An Arctic Fox.6312

8 times I’ve tried this. It’s easy, well until the little ley lines/updrafts refuse to work and I have to start all over. All.Over. For the love of god at least checkpoint the fght when you beat one of the blighted enemies like Rytlock, and not force me to start what can be a 30 minute fight all over with no chance to repair armor.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

The trick is to walk into them, not to try to jump into them and repeatedly pressing space.

Just walk in, it will blow you up. Then activate glider and I suggest pressing dodge immediately, as the falling rocks can kill you instantly.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

There was a lengthy thread on this subject. There seems to be some variance in how the updrafts function. I was unable to activate them without using the interact keybind. However there was never anything to indicate that they may be interacted with.

Give that a try and see if it works for you. I was able to hit the updrafts every time by using interact.

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

8 times I’ve tried this. It’s easy, well until the little ley lines/updrafts refuse to work and I have to start all over. All.Over. For the love of god at least checkpoint the fght when you beat one of the blighted enemies like Rytlock, and not force me to start what can be a 30 minute fight all over with no chance to repair armor.

This fight really can be frustrating. For me, the updrafts are the most frustrating parts. Fighting Mordy and his spawns is pretty trivial. I have done it now on every character profession and twice on two of them. All were solo except for my mesmer which I did with a friend. I don’t think after the first time though I ever died from anything other than the gliding parts. But I have died several times doing that, usually on the third time Mordy does it. I must suck at gliding because I have yet to get the Flights of Fancy achievement. Somehow I always get hit, although there a couple of times that I never noticed getting hit and still didn’t get it, so maybe there is a bug.

Anyway, dying in that fight became less frustrating for me when I started noting the time I started fighting Mordy and kept up with how long the fight actually takes. Even on the times I died on the 3rd gliding part, I had only been fighting him for a few minutes. Knowing trying again was only a waste of 5-10 minutes made it seem not as bad. Not counting the previous fights with Blighted Canach (or Caithe) and Eir, if the actual fight with him and his spawns is taking 30 minutes, you aren’t doing enough damage. He hits like a cream puff so you can gear for damage and not worry much about dying. Just circle strafing while attacking him takes care of pretty much everything in that fight.

But yeah, the updrafts are annoying. Not sure why ANet decided to make them different from other updrafts and not work when you jump. It might be a good fix if they change it to make them shoot you into the air whether you jump or not. And if they require hitting interact, that has to be a bug. I have never had to do that.

AliamRationem.5172

Given that players report activating the updrafts in different ways, I’m assuming there is some kind of bug. Some seem to be able to activate them by walking through them. Some via interact, but again, there doesn’t appear to be an interact dialogue box indicating that this should work. And others are able to find the few raised areas on the platform, jump and glide through the updrafts to activate them. I was able to confirm that this works, but you have to know where those points are and get to them quickly if you wish to use this method.

For me, walking/jumping was a no go most times, but every once in awhile it would work for some reason. And I’m not sure how or why that should be possible. Either it works or it doesn’t, right? The only 100% success rate method I found was the interact keybind.

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

The real trick is to beg one of your friends to go into the instance with you, for moral support and an insurance thing for if you accidentally die.

5/7 would bring a friend, especially on characters they’re not good at

Edit: On that note, thanks Hobo and Arch, you guys helped me through 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 of my dragon fights and I preciate it

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

most just time it right by being aware of the mechanics, their own ping and reaction times and learning the fight, proven by the fact that the vast majority have completed this fight- its almost old school, a fight you need to think about. Some modern players have simply not learned that its ok to die on a fight a few times.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Flights of Fancy achievement

Like most projectiles, the rocks can be easily avoided by simply strafing back and forth. Pick the farthest away updraft and hover over it while rapidly strafing – for example, hold Q, while tapping E to stay in the same spot.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The fight is bugged and there have been many many complaints about it that anet have never addressed. Try and get in a group to do it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Once again final boss bugged. Sitting here now watching Guildy fight, I was killed because even after walking into leyline it didn’t fly, then another Guildie was at Three Quarters Health and got auto transported into the holding area I got sent. After approximately 9 months it is still buggy. Makes me wanna fund this game when they won’t address an issue that is this Large.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Lite Ning Strike.5203

It sure is fun watching others kill the final boss because you are put in Timeout due to glitch programing.

AliamRationem.5172

Did you try using the interact keybind? Worked like a chArm for me, even though it doesn’t show an interact dialogue when you apprOach an updraft.

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Did you try using the interact keybind? Worked like a chArm for me, even though it doesn’t show an interact dialogue when you apprOach an updraft.

What is the keybind? I will try but it is a shame we still have to use workarounds after 9 months

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

What is the keybind? I will try but it is a shame we still have to use workarounds after 9 months

The interact key is whatever you assigned to it. It’s the button you press to gather for example, which is F by default.

Personally, I ran through this fight maybe 5 times in the last week without any problems and I’ve never had a problem with just running in to the updrafts, being flung into the air and holding space (~150ms ping for comparison). Keep in mind that if an updraft spawns on top of you, I’m guessing it’ll not work, so you’ll want to run to a different one. I’m not sure if it’s still a problem, but if you die to Mordremoth, you need to intentionally die again on the second attempt, otherwise the encounter will be start in the next stage where the area is smaller.

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

+1 for originality!

Lite Ning Strike.5203

The interact key is whatever you assigned to it. It’s the button you press to gather for example, which is F by default.

Personally, I ran through this fight maybe 5 times in the last week without any problems and I’ve never had a problem with just running in to the updrafts, being flung into the air and holding space (~150ms ping for comparison). Keep in mind that if an updraft spawns on top of you, I’m guessing it’ll not work, so you’ll want to run to a different one. I’m not sure if it’s still a problem, but if you die to Mordremoth, you need to intentionally die again on the second attempt, otherwise the encounter will be start in the next stage where the area is smaller.

Thanks I’ll give it a try, on a side note any idea what caused my friend who was at 75-80% health to be put into the same “time out” area that I was put in as a death penalty? Like I said I had never seen that and he was like “What the heck just happened” lol

Flights of Fancy achievement

Like most projectiles, the rocks can be easily avoided by simply strafing back and forth. Pick the farthest away updraft and hover over it while rapidly strafing – for example, hold Q, while tapping E to stay in the same spot.

Thanks for the tip. I will try this. Having done this story with 13 different toons now, it seems like I would have gotten the achievement by luck alone by now. I haven’t been dying, just somehow getting hit.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The main problem with this incredibly long and frustrating instance is the way they lock out your friends playing with you when they die. A lot of the frustration with this fight would be eliminated if your entire group could keep playing from the last phase they completed after death. The way it resets is just needlessly pointless.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I’ve said this before, but the whole penalty box thing should be restricted to Extreme Mode.

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I must suck at gliding because I have yet to get the Flights of Fancy achievement. Somehow I always get hit, although there a couple of times that I never noticed getting hit and still didn’t get it, so maybe there is a bug.

if you got hit during updrafts and then died, the death doesn’t reset the flights of fancy achiev.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

I must suck at gliding because I have yet to get the Flights of Fancy achievement. Somehow I always get hit, although there a couple of times that I never noticed getting hit and still didn’t get it, so maybe there is a bug.

if you got hit during updrafts and then died, the death doesn’t reset the flights of fancy achiev.

Yeah, I have been getting hit but not actually dying. Every time it happened I would tell myself I should just go ahead and die to reset the achiev eligibility, but would inevitably be too impatient to re-fight Mordy and would instead just go ahead and finish him off.

Haven’t had a chance yet to try helix’s suggestion for avoiding the rocks.