Move adventure mastery points to normal ap

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Deaths.9165

Deaths.9165

Some adventures are just to hard. U need Gold to max out Masterys. But to be honest i dont want to play over and over a race or shooter or whatever to be able to get max masterys. 30 points are hidden in touse things.

Plz change thats this is unresnable. Move thouse mastery points to normal achievments.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Personally, I don’t care how hard (or not) adventures are. I despise the concept of mini-games. I’d prefer their rewards be intrinsic to them (i.e., cosmetics or items that can be gained elsewhere) rather than the extrinsic rewards of Mastery points which are needed for progression. In that case, I’d be fine with them as I recognize that everything does not have to be for me. As it is, I hope they die in fire because masteries were billed as the progression aspect of HoT, which ought to be for everyone.

Note: I know there are more points than are needed for the Mastery lines, but one cannot max all HoT Masteries without doing at least some of this bull-kitten.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I agree, that mastery points shouldn’t have been put on adventures. There are too many issues with them. Anyone with a slow internet, older computer, bad connection, anyone living in Oceanic territory are all going to suffer in adventures.

Add to that, this type of content, some of which I enjoy, is out of the realm of what people buy MMOs to play and some people really do hate them. It’s not like a dungeon, because you may hate a dungeon but it’s hard to imagine you not thinking that they’re a part of MMOs. Minigames like this should always be a side thing in my opinion.

Posted by: Keriana.9635

Keriana.9635

Agreed. Minigames should be optional side content and not required for basic progression.

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Some adventures are just to hard. U need Gold to max out Masterys.

There are more Mastery Points than you need to max. out Mastery Tracks. You need no gold and only a few silver in every adventure to max. out Mastery Tracks.

There are 134 Heart of Maguuma points available of which you need 114.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

(edited by Shylock.4653)

Posted by: Johnsen.6253

Johnsen.6253

Some adventures are extremly hard to get silver even aftet 100 tries. They are completly unbalanced and some are really annoying. The whole concept to make it a requirement for masteries and collections is bad. It should be optional content since we bought a MMORPG and not an arcade game collection.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I can’t think of any adventures that were incredibly difficult to get silver in. Even then, there’s more than enough adventures that are easy to get gold in than there are difficult silver adventures.

Not every adventure needs to have the same difficulty. Some can be easy, some can be hard, and some can be somewhere in between.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Getting Silver in adventures should be easy because they are needed for the Specialization achievements. There is no way to substitute those Silvers with Golds in other adventures.

Ayrilana.1396

Getting Silver in adventures should be easy because they are needed for the Specialization achievements. There is no way to substitute those Silvers with Golds in other adventures.

I disagree with the should be easy as I see not reason why it should be so. With that said, most silvers are very easy to do with maybe one or two exceptions. There are several adventures where gold is just as easy to earn which outweighs the number of silver adventures that may be perceived as difficult.

All HoT mastery points are equal as they count as a single point towards unlocking masteries. Whether you can earn then be getting silver in adventures, gold in adventures, or elsewhere doesn’t matter. You need like 114 mastery points to max out all HoT masteries. You can most definitely substitute earning mastery points earned from doing one specific source by earning then via another.

maddoctor.2738

I disagree with the should be easy as I see not reason why it should be so. With that said, most silvers are very easy to do with maybe one or two exceptions. There are several adventures where gold is just as easy to earn which outweighs the number of silver adventures that may be perceived as difficult.

All HoT mastery points are equal as they count as a single point towards unlocking masteries. Whether you can earn then be getting silver in adventures, gold in adventures, or elsewhere doesn’t matter. You need like 114 mastery points to max out all HoT masteries. You can most definitely substitute earning mastery points earned from doing one specific source by earning then via another.

How is getting Gold in Salvage Pit going to help me get my North Wind since it requires Silver in Haywire? I haven’t tried Haywire after the patch yet, but before the patch Silver was very hard to achieve and Gold was impossible.

Same can be said for Dark Harvest which requires Silver in Fallen Masks, an Adventure which is full of RNG and can be really frustrating even to get Silver.

You can substitute points from different adventures in terms of mastery points yes. But you can’t substitute points to get your Specialization weapons. That’s why I say all the adventures needed for Spec weapons should be relatively easier, other Adventures can be hard to earn Silver for all I care, as you say they can be substituted.

Ayrilana.1396

How is getting Gold in Salvage Pit going to help me get my North Wind since it requires Silver in Haywire? I haven’t tried Haywire after the patch yet, but before the patch Silver was very hard to achieve and Gold was impossible.

Same can be said for Dark Harvest which requires Silver in Fallen Masks, an Adventure which is full of RNG and can be really frustrating even to get Silver.

You can substitute points from different adventures in terms of mastery points yes. But you can’t substitute points to get your Specialization weapons. That’s why I say all the adventures needed for Spec weapons should be relatively easier, other Adventures can be hard to earn Silver for all I care, as you say they can be substituted.

Oh. I must’ve misread your post. This thread was about mastery points so I guess I read it as such.

You can literally get silver in Haywire simply by spamming the #2 skills all the way to the top where the cannon is and then turn around and spam the #2 skill back to the bottom.

Each individual mask spawn location isn’t subjected to RNG. What you have is maybe at most a dozen possible combinations that all of the mask spawn during an attempt. These combinations are subjected to RNG. I believe even a dev confirmed this through a post or maybe one of those interviews.

Getting silver in Fallen Masks is fairly straightforward if you learn the best routes to get to each mask and try to maintain the speed mushroom boost on you at all times. Just watch what everyone else does as the routes are fairly straightforward. Memorizing where a masks is located in the mini map also greatly helps as you can just glance at it and know where to go.

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

I can’t think of a single adventure where it was difficult to get silver. If it takes you “100 tries” to get silver on anything then honestly that is on you, not anet, because the difficulty level of silvers is fairly low. The only one that might take more than 15-20 minutes is a fungus among us, because the course is hard to navigate before you are used to it and the launch skill (2) is buggy. And on many you will get silver (or even gold) on your first attempt.

It’s definitely true that some of the golds are extremely difficult (fallen masks and shooting gallery are probably the worst now that punch o matic has been changed), but many of the golds are also extremely easy. I think it’s fine to have some of the golds be easily obtainable and some of them require hours of practice; that way there is something to pour your time into that feels like an accomplishment when you finally get it. There are so many other way to get mastery points that gating masteries behind golds is not really an issue. An honestly even if it takes you an hour or two to get gold on punch o matic or fungus or anything, that is still faster than a lot of the story based mastery points lol.

To the people complaining about bad connection / bad pc, I don’t see how you can expect the game to be optimized for a 10-20 fps or 300ms experience. Pretty much every game where you have to react quickly is going to be awful at that point. It isn’t just adventures, most of the game content is crap if your game runs that badly. I definitely would say it’s pretty kitten that there are no oceanic servers, but if your ping is high you can’t expect the game to be good =(

The one big problem with adventures I can think of is that they become inaccessible a lot of the time during meta events. This is especially obnoxious for the ones that are a hassle to get to; I actually just stop playing gw2 and do something else if I’m trying to get gold/silver and a meta starts, which I doubt is what anet wants.

Posted by: HiggsBoson.1976

HiggsBoson.1976

I can’t think of a single adventure where it was difficult to get silver.

I can, since I ranked them all

Shooting Gallery – Silver 9/10
A Fungus Among Us – Silver, 9/10
Sanctum Scramble – Silver, 8/10 (when playing this Adventure as if it were a jumping puzzle, instead of a gliding puzzle)
The Floor Is Lava – Silver, 7/10
Scrap Rifle Field Test – Silver, 6/10
Fallen Masks – Silver, 6/10

are the major ones that I would expect people to spend more than 10-15 minutes trying to get, or spending time on YouTube/forums to figure out.

Posted by: JRM.6218

JRM.6218

Well, I don’t care adventures give mastery points, leaderboards and so on. What bothers me is that I can’t get the final mastery of a group (12 MP) without playing those f. minikittens. There are achievements that don’t provide mastery points and I want they do to complete my masteries.
It reminds me when WvW maps were required to map completion. Total nonsense.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Some adventures are just to hard. U need Gold to max out Masterys. But to be honest i dont want to play over and over a race or shooter or whatever to be able to get max masterys. 30 points are hidden in touse things.

Plz change thats this is unresnable. Move thouse mastery points to normal achievments.

I strongly disagree even though I don’t like adventures. No, scratch that, I hate them. I hate the mechanics, I hate the effects, I hate the timers. I hate them with every pore of my being.

Well, ok, maybe they aren’t that bad and I reserve that level of hate for evil doers — I just feel that adventures are mini games appropriate for a smart phone, not for an MMO.

That said, I have no problem with ANet gating some collections and mastery points behind them, as long as it’s not every mastery and every collection. I like that the game challenges me to try different things, if I want access to all skins and all features. Grind, for me, is having to do the same types of things over and over again to get simple rewards. Adventures, at least, offer a big change from every other reward gate in the game.

So much as I dislike the concept of adventures being in an MMO, I think the way they are implemented is fair.

Mind you, I’d be happier if I never was asked to do adventures…and I’d be disappointed that all masteries and collections were gated by the same “go collect this” or “glide here” or “kill that” type of requirements.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

I see these ego centric people posting that seem to think that because they find something easy…or either think it makes them look good to claim that something is easy for them…that it matters one bit to the others that don’t think that same thing is easy. News flash….no one cares that you think its easy. What you find to be easy or I find to be easy is completely irrelevant to the problem. What is relevant to the issue is that there is a foreign element (content outside of the genre) that has not only been introduced to the game, but is being used as a road block to progression in the game. I have never liked sonic the hedgehog or super mario brothers, and as such, I would not intentionally buy either of those games…or anything like them. I had no idea that mini games were actually this big of a part of the HoT progression (legendary weapons, specialization items, mastery points)…as that was not made known before purchase. In fact, adventures were advertised completely differently pre launch. They were advertised more similar to quests. Instead we get platform gaming. I think its cool that some people not only like this type of content, but are also really good at it. What I don’t think is cool is that those of us who don’t like it and are not good at it….are being blocked by it. Eventually, I’m going to force myself to complete them (unless ANET relents and makes the rewards no longer exclusive to adventures), but it is like being forced to do homework on summer vacation….not a fun experience. Ultimately I’m irritated that primary (advertised) features of HoT are gated by mini games. That content being legendary weapons, specialization items, and character progression…pretty much everything we bought HoT for except raids.

(edited by ODB.6891)

Ayrilana.1396

What is relevant to the issue is that there is a foreign element (content outside of the genre) that has not only been introduced to the game, but is being used as a road block to progression in the game.

Source?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

What is relevant to the issue is that there is a foreign element (content outside of the genre) that has not only been introduced to the game, but is being used as a road block to progression in the game.

Source?

We bought Guild Wars 2, not Super Mario Bros, Burgertime, or Call of Duty. That’s what ODB meant.
The MMO format isn’t suitable to these sorts of genres. The controls aren’t the same, and they’re poorly tuned for what they ask us to do to succeed at them.

If they wanted us to try them, and maybe even like them, they failed at it overall. Long stretches of unavailable time, instances pulling players out of participation, frustrating mechanics that require masteries to get mastery points to get masteries, overtuned timing demands, RNG elements…

I have to wonder who even playtested this garbage and decided it was acceptable for general consumption.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Ayrilana.1396

Source?

We bought Guild Wars 2, not Super Mario Bros, Burgertime, or Call of Duty. That’s what ODB meant.
The MMO format isn’t suitable to these sorts of genres. The controls aren’t the same, and they’re poorly tuned for what they ask us to do to succeed at them.

If they wanted us to try them, and maybe even like them, they failed at it overall. Long stretches of unavailable time, instances pulling players out of participation, frustrating mechanics that require masteries to get mastery points to get masteries, overtuned timing demands, RNG elements…

I have to wonder who even playtested this garbage and decided it was acceptable for general consumption.

It being suitable or not is your opinion but isn’t fact as other RPG games and MMO’s have had mini games. If adventures are not suitable for GW2 then neither is SAB. Neither are the holiday activities and regular activities too.

Rauderi.8706

It being suitable or not is your opinion but isn’t fact as other RPG games and MMO’s have had mini games. If adventures are not suitable for GW2 then neither is SAB. Neither are the holiday activities and regular activities too.

SAB isn’t core gameplay. That’s true. SAB also didn’t block my mastery progress, character growth, or map completion. To think of it, SAB is closer to core GW2 gameplay than any of the ‘adventures’ ever were.

Adventures could have been good. It’s one of a long line of “good idea ANet botched because of thoughtless execution.” I don’t even need to list all the problems, anyone paying attention to the boards is overtly aware of them by now.

I mean, I get it, arguing for arguing’s sake, but it doesn’t further the discussion. Go back and actually examine the design decisions invested in the Adventures and return with a critical analysis.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Ayrilana.1396

SAB isn’t core gameplay. That’s true. SAB also didn’t block my mastery progress, character growth, or map completion. To think of it, SAB is closer to core GW2 gameplay than any of the ‘adventures’ ever were.

Adventures could have been good. It’s one of a long line of “good idea ANet botched because of thoughtless execution.” I don’t even need to list all the problems, anyone paying attention to the boards is overtly aware of them by now.

I mean, I get it, arguing for arguing’s sake, but it doesn’t further the discussion. Go back and actually examine the design decisions invested in the Adventures and return with a critical analysis.

I was simply asking for a source showing that mini games should not be a part of this genre. It wasn’t even addressed to you but you decided to respond and take it off to another tangent.

I get that you dislike adventures. However, your dislike does not mean that what we have is botched because of thoughtless execution. All it means is that you don’t like them and that is your opinion. If you want to establish it as a fact then feel free to.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

What is relevant to the issue is that there is a foreign element (content outside of the genre)

Please provide a citation or link where I can read the official standard definition of an MMO so that I can identify what these ‘foreign elements’ are.

Maybe you’re thinking that a single MMO defines the genre, if so I wonder which one, because I play 7 MMOs .. yea, PLAY as is I have active characters in 7, though obviously I spend more time on some that others in rotation .. and every one of them I think of has something the others don’t, so is your definition of an MMO the lowest common denominator of the 15 or so major MMOs in existence today?

All you’re doing is arbitrarily asserting was should or should not be present in an ‘MMO’ based on your likes and dislikes.

(edited by Kraggy.4169)

Rauderi.8706

What is relevant to the issue is that there is a foreign element (content outside of the genre)

Please provide a citation or link where I can read the official standard definition of an MMO so that I can identify what these ‘foreign elements’ are.

Maybe you’re thinking that a single MMO defines the genre, if so I wonder which one, because I play 7 MMOs .. yea, PLAY as is I have active characters in 7, though obviously I spend more time on some that others in rotation .. and every one of them I think of has something the others don’t, so is your definition of an MMO the lowest common denominator of the 15 or so major MMOs in existence today?

All you’re doing is arbitrarily asserting was should or should not be present in an ‘MMO’ based on your likes and dislikes.

And what I see is arguing semantics about should or should not instead of addressing the critical issues of what is actually in game.

I accept what ANet tried to do. Minigames in an MMO are generally a good idea. They’re supposed to be short, fun content to break up the monotony of map grinding. Good minigames provide meaningful play experiences with humane exit points.

GW2 Adventures kinda fail at that. The minigames have frustrating, unpolished controls and actively detract from other participation.
Metric: Lots of complaints and the philosophy of “if it works, people don’t kitten about it on the forums.” If I had access to actual ANet metrics, I’d show ‘em, but I obviously don’t. :P

So, instead of derailing things:

A.

B. The OP is pointing out that the mastery point rewards locked behind Silver and Gold (and someone else notes the weapon collections requiring Silver) are frustrating and poorly executed. Unreasonable. The OP would rather have those mastery points re-assigned to areas of core gameplay achievements for HoT, rather than allegedly “optional” content that has nothing to do with character progression.

So far as item B goes, I’m only half inclined to agree. I think coaxing players into doing Bronze and seeing which Adventures they like isn’t a bad thing. It’d be even better if ANet could resolve some of the issues with availability (patched a little already) and tuned the controls/timers more in line with player use and ability.

Many alts; handle it!

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree with ODB that adventures are outside the tradition of RPGs and (as I’ve mentioned), I hate them. But one of the reasons a lot of us love GW2 is that it bucks tradition and so, for all I know, this might be a great concept to bring in more players who also love the game.

Or as I said above (using far more words), just because some of us hate adventures doesn’t mean it’s good for the game to remove them from mastery progress.

Rauderi.8706

I agree with ODB that adventures are outside the tradition of RPGs and (as I’ve mentioned), I hate them. But one of the reasons a lot of us love GW2 is that it bucks tradition and so, for all I know, this might be a great concept to bring in more players who also love the game.

Or as I said above (using far more words), just because some of us hate adventures doesn’t mean it’s good for the game to remove them from mastery progress.

It’s been a trend in gaming to see a lot of genre-blending. FPSers with RPG level progression. RPGs with bullet-hell combat. MMOs with action combat more suited to adventure titles. Etc.
So, to say that platforming and minigames “don’t belong” is a bit exclusionary when perhaps it shouldn’t be.
What matters is execution, and that’s where ANet dropped the ball. I actually consider it a shame, since what we’ll likely find is that Adventures don’t get metrics needed to continue supporting them. Not because players didn’t like them, but because players were so frustrated by the conditions in which they exist that it taints any future development.

Many alts; handle it!

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

What matters is execution, and that’s where ANet dropped the ball. I actually consider it a shame, since what we’ll likely find is that Adventures don’t get metrics needed to continue supporting them. Not because players didn’t like them, but because players were so frustrated by the conditions in which they exist that it taints any future development.

Could you elaborate a bit?

There are a few adventures which stay in locked state for too long, Shooting Gallery being the most obvious cause, but outside of that I don’t know what exactly would frustrate the playerbase.
Adventures are mostly ignored because players don’t like them, and even for those, like me, who actually do like them, rewards are far from impressive.

Rauderi.8706

Could you elaborate a bit?

There are a few adventures which stay in locked state for too long, Shooting Gallery being the most obvious cause, but outside of that I don’t know what exactly would frustrate the playerbase.
Adventures are mostly ignored because players don’t like them, and even for those, like me, who actually do like them, rewards are far from impressive.

I could elaborate on my own experiences, at least.

I wanted to give many of the Adventures a try, but several others, like Shooting Gallery stay locked way too long.
Others require masteries to participate in any meaningful manner: Fungus Among Us, Flying Circus, etc. While the barrier to entry on those is somewhat small independently, it adds up to needing Advanced Gliding, Blazing Mushrooms, and probably a longer list than I have experience for right now. I still haven’t managed to catch most of them open.

I think a fair bit of advice to ANet on this, if they’re going to remain closed for some reason, is to have the start point identify what events need to finish to open them.

Beyond that, without the required masteries, running adventures dooms you to sub-Bronze ranking. The time requirements are fairly absurd The requirement for Silver (and thus mastery/elite weapons) are ponderous arcane in how the dev team arrived at their number, and Gold (for the second mastery point) requires restarting an obnoxious number of times for the slightest mistake.

As with most of the game’s transformations and special-toolbar content, the abilities are imprecise, buggy, and clunky. Polish the controls, and people would like them more.
Similar to that, lots of these adventures are jumping puzzles of a sort. That means getting the collision physics to cooperate while in the middle of clunky, transformed hit boxes. A step on one pixel is a slide right off a ledge at another, and that doesn’t convey well.

There were a fair number of complaints about Shooting Gallery and Haywire somethinganother having obnoxious controls and ludicrous time requirements; Falling Masks has apparently RNG, though some say once the pattern is established, it’s not so random.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Some adventures are just to hard. U need Gold to max out Masterys

You don’t. I’m pretty bad with adventures, I only have gold for the really easy ones, silver for most of them, and nothing at all the the hardest ones, yet I have every mastery. And in case you’re wondering, I only have one mastery point coming from PS master rewards as well.

Just play the game. No need to focus on adventures. You will get your mastery points soon enough.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

To those that say that getting silver isn’t hard: not everybody has the same reflexes. I only tried the adventures in Verdant Brink, but I already found one where I couldn’t get silver: Shooting Gallery. My luck must be bad because every single try, once the first round is done (and the dunnies start to repeat), they go so far out of order that I have to run from one side of the areana to the other after each dummy. And I need time to locate them then target them. I’m not as young as I used to be….

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Source?

So I come back to this thread to see ignorant responses instead of any logical arguments. There is no source required for common sense. Just like Rauderi said, we didn’t buy super mario brothers, we bought a MMO. MMOs aren’t a new concept. Its been well established that MMO games will be based on a certain type of gaming experience….that’s the concept of a genre that you seem to not understand and want a source to explain to you. Since you and one other apparently need someone else to google a definition of the word genre, here it is:

genre
1: a kind of literary or artistic work

Type of:
form, kind, sort, variety
a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality

2: a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique

I’m pretty sure you can’t reasonably argue that GW2 has been classified as an action rpg (sub category of a MMO). I’m also pretty sure you can’t reasonably argue that the a lot of the activities in these adventures are in the category of platform gaming. Platform gaming is also not a new thing. Its not entirely unreasonable to have elements such as platform gaming inserted into any different genre, including an action rpg, but my issue is clearly the fact that this different genre content (foreign element) is being used as a barrier to core rewards of this genre. This is probably not going to change, but I’m still going to express my dissatisfaction with it.

Its just a kittenildish and pointless to drop a one liner like “source?” or “citation”, in response to something that a combination of common sense and a google search can explain to you. If you want to argue the point of whether or not it was a good idea to insert that type of content into the requirements for core rewards of this game…that would be a different matter.

Posted by: Thrist.9046

Thrist.9046

To those that say that getting silver isn’t hard: not everybody has the same reflexes. I only tried the adventures in Verdant Brink, but I already found one where I couldn’t get silver: Shooting Gallery. My luck must be bad because every single try, once the first round is done (and the dunnies start to repeat), they go so far out of order that I have to run from one side of the areana to the other after each dummy. And I need time to locate them then target them. I’m not as young as I used to be….

Shooting Gallery is well known to be the hardest adventure. You don’t even need to get bronze on it to get all the masteries.

Ayrilana.1396

So I come back to this thread to see ignorant responses instead of any logical arguments.

Wow. So you start off with an insult. I can already see where this is going.

There is no source required for common sense.

If it’s common sense then you should easily be able to back it up with a source. Go ahead. Where’s your source? You know, I could included this very line in my argument.

Just like Rauderi said, we didn’t buy super mario brothers, we bought a MMO. MMOs aren’t a new concept. Its been well established that MMO games will be based on a certain type of gaming experience….that’s the concept of a genre that you seem to not understand and want a source to explain to you.

You do realize that GW2 had Super Mario Bros content since release, right?

Since you and one other apparently need someone else to google a definition of the word genre, here it is:

genre
1: a kind of literary or artistic work

Type of:
form, kind, sort, variety
a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality

2: a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique

So you copy and pasted this from the dictionary. Is there a point?

I’m pretty sure you can’t reasonably argue that GW2 has been classified as an action rpg (sub category of a MMO).

I can copy and paste too!!!

Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined subgenre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games.

Guild Wars 1 was considered a blending of an action RPG and and the typical RPG. It’s not unreasonable to assume that GW2 followed the same design. Many MMO sites refer to GW2 as an action RPG.

Based on common sense, and a google search, this is very easy to see. Yep, I used your same line.

I’m also pretty sure you can’t reasonably argue that the a lot of the activities in these adventures are in the category of platform gaming.

A platform game (or platformer) is a video game which involves guiding an avatar to jump between suspended platforms, over obstacles, or both to advance the game. These challenges are known as jumping puzzles or freerunning.

Hmmm… sound a lot like things in this game from launch. How much content in this game requires jumping in any form between platforms and obstacles? Quite a lot.

Platform gaming is also not a new thing. Its not entirely unreasonable to have elements such as platform gaming inserted into any different genre, including an action rpg, but my issue is clearly the fact that this different genre content (foreign element) is being used as a barrier to core rewards of this genre. This is probably not going to change, but I’m still going to express my dissatisfaction with it.

It’s not a barrier. There are 22 mastery points available so that leave 8 that involve adventures if you do the rest. Speaking of the rest, how many of them have elements of platforming or action RPG’s? Why are you not complaining about them too?

I think you’re just using all of this simply because you do not like adventures. There’s nothing wrong or incorrect about not liking them.

Its just a kittenildish and pointless to drop a one liner like “source?” or “citation”, in response to something that a combination of common sense and a google search can explain to you. If you want to argue the point of whether or not it was a good idea to insert that type of content into the requirements for core rewards of this game…that would be a different matter.

It’s not wrong to request a source when someone makes a claim. I could say that aliens exist, believe it to be common sense, but that doesn’t mean that I would be correct.

This type of content that you have been so against as been part of GW2 since launch. If you dislike it then you’ve been playing the wrong game for however many years.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So I come back to this thread to see ignorant responses instead of any logical arguments.

Sigh. Rhetoric 101: ignore ignorant responses; just respond to those that address the issue. (INB4: not that I agree with the assumption that there are ignorant or illogical responses.)

There is no source required for common sense.

I think you’ve misunderstood. “Common sense” can’t provide a definition of what is supposed to be in an MMO, because, commonly, people have a different sense about belongs in an MMO. People are looking for something that says: “this type of game never includes that type of content” — and there isn’t (since people can’t really agree on the terms or their definitions).

I’m pretty sure you can’t reasonably argue that GW2 has been classified as an action rpg (sub category of a MMO). I’m also pretty sure you can’t reasonably argue that the a lot of the activities in these adventures are in the category of platform gaming.

I’m pretty sure that anyone can argue that GW2 is hard to classify, because it has deliberately altered lot of genre-defining elements. It has always included content more commonly associated with platform gaming.

Regardless, all of this is entirely moot: the main point is that a lot of people just hate the sort of challenges presented via adventures. It doesn’t matter if they are genre-appropriate or not.

And I’ll repeat: just because some of us hate that content isn’t sufficient reason to remove it from mastery (or collections).

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

Some adventures are just to hard. U need Gold to max out Masterys.

There are more Mastery Points than you need to max. out Mastery Tracks. You need no gold and only a few silver in every adventure to max. out Mastery Tracks.

There are 134 Heart of Maguuma points available of which you need 114.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

There should have been 114 mastery points available without doing a single adventure.

anet has done enough of these little ‘tricks’ over the last 3 years and they should have learned by now. Some players are far less agile and capable than others, just because you found the adventures easy doesn’t mean that every player is going to do the same. Not everyone likes adventures or mini-games.

If anyone thinks I’m just trying to get the requirement lowered I do have 114 mastery points, I needed them to complete Nevermore. Now I don’t need to do any of their adventures again.

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

They should have been placed in the HoT story, proper achievements and through the new zones. The adventures have nothing to do with anything, yet are 30, THIRTY, mastery points.

maddoctor.2738

They should have been placed in the HoT story, proper achievements and through the new zones. The adventures have nothing to do with anything, yet are 30, THIRTY, mastery points.

And only 10 of them are required to max mastery points. Some adventures are rather difficult but others are insanely easy getting those 10 points is really not hard at all.

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

And only 10 of them are required to max mastery points. Some adventures are rather difficult but others are insanely easy getting those 10 points is really not hard at all.

And when they release new masteries? And that still does not excuse putting 30 points into these mini-games.

maddoctor.2738

And when they release new masteries? And that still does not excuse putting 30 points into these mini-games.

New masteries will probably be added with the next expansion and you will get them in the new expansion zones, I don’t think they’ll allow you to spend HoT mastery points to train the masteries of the new expansion. Others might be added in the next Raid Wings, but they will also add Mastery Points inside those Wings (to get them). In the end I doubt you’ll ever need the last 20 points from the adventures, they just come as a bonus in case you can’t do some of the masteries, or you are a completionist and want all of them.

Posted by: Daewind.1072

Daewind.1072

I have tried some mini arcade games lots of times. I am not that young anymore and I am not good in arcade (I avoid these games). I’ve read that these arcade games are easy. This is bs. I can say similar things about other skills that are easy to me but hard to others. I’ve read you can earn the MP without the arcade games. Maybe true, but people who are good in it, have more MP much earlier and thus can do extra content sooner that is otherwise unavailable (like fighting the champs). I hope Anet is giving people alternatives for gaining MP sooner for clumsy arcade gamers, so we can also enjoy some extra content before we are too bored to care anymore ;-)

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

I absolutely agree. First of all the games are not fun, they are tedious. I have done most of them and have gotten silver on most of them, gold on a couple.

First of all, I have never ever ever ever come away from an adventure and though, that was fun. Nor have I gotten a feeling of satisfaction. I have relief that I will never have to do that again. They are boring, horrible content.

Because if you are sitting there grinding away as a mushroom or shooting tendrils, going for that perfect run. You are not making any gold. You are not earning any xp(unless you complete it, I usually reset if I made a mistake to save time). You are not earning any loot. You are not practicing you character, getting better at combat.

I will counter my own feelings and say that there are plenty of people that find them fun and enjoyable. That is great. They should award AP, some loot, xp, even some gold! But putting masteries behind them is asinine.

Edit, If I wanted to play little mini games. I would go play my Wii U.

(edited by BloodyNine.7504)

Posted by: JRM.6218

JRM.6218

The point is that the mastery system is a core feature of the expansion. Binding mastery points at non-core content is pointless.

(edited by JRM.6218)

Ayrilana.1396

The point is that the mastery system is a core feature of the expansion. Binding mastery points at non-core content is pointless.

How many of the mastery points earned in core Tyria are from what you consider “core content”?

What do you define as “core content”?

Why must mastery points be strictly assigned to what you consider “core content”?

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Instead of completely changing the adventures = MP equation, how about creating a set of 2 or 3 alternate activities you could do instead?

It would have to be blocked out by tiers of some kind, lest people just do the easiest of each set. And, for each tier, you would have to finish one complete set to get full credit.

A tier might be tied to an area, so for VB you would have to choose between adventures and some other activity. Then, at AB you would have to make a similar choice.

?

Ayrilana.1396

They’re slowly doing that. It’d down to where you only need 8 mastery points from adventures. With each living story release, including raids, that number will continue to fall.

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

If u dont want to do it then dont do it they never said it was suppose to be easy

Posted by: Thrist.9046

Thrist.9046

Instead of completely changing the adventures = MP equation, how about creating a set of 2 or 3 alternate activities you could do instead?

It would have to be blocked out by tiers of some kind, lest people just do the easiest of each set. And, for each tier, you would have to finish one complete set to get full credit.

A tier might be tied to an area, so for VB you would have to choose between adventures and some other activity. Then, at AB you would have to make a similar choice.

?

This is a great idea.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

How many of the mastery points earned in core Tyria are from what you consider “core content”?

What do you define as “core content”?

Why must mastery points be strictly assigned to what you consider “core content”?

As a third party, it seems to me that that poster is talking about core in the sense of central to the XPac. It also seems he’s talking about basic MMO content, which in GW2 would consist of fighting mobs, and doing dynamic events. Finally, it seems he considers mini-games to be peripheral content because they are neither part of the lore nor part of the story and in you are not playing the character/build you created. If so, I agree.

Why should Mastery Points not be hidden in peripheral content? Masteries are the stand-in for a level cap increase. It’s basic character (or in this case account) progression. It ought to be for everyone, and not everyone wants to not play their character to gain basic (or core) progression.

Had adventures been things like solo instanced mini-dungeons where I could actually play the game, instead of a mini-game, I’d have been behind them. As is, I think they’d be fine as peripheral content with peripheral rewards, but not progression rewards.

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

?

This is a great idea.

Stop trying to invalidate player skill its not gonna happen
Dont like it dont play it.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Stop trying to invalidate player skill its not gonna happen
Dont like it dont play it.

Stop trying to invalidate player preferences. If too many things in the game are distasteful to too many people, then it hurts the game overall. There’s nothing wrong with people saying they don’t like it.

Again, I don’t have have a problem with ANet including it in GW2 or including them as part of mastery, even if I personally hate adventures (they are too much like all the games that I don’t like and don’t play). That doesn’t stop me preferring that the game gave us more choices about this aspect of account progression.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Silver is easy for most, but screw Gold though, when I see the timer of people who managed to do it, it was 3-4 seconds away most of the time and some required RNG to do it which is really stupid…