My Beta Feedback

My Beta Feedback

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Dra Keln.2015

Dra Keln.2015

Specializations
Chronomancer
I’ll start with Chronomancer, I have to say I liked this one the best. The skills worked well, it felt like good support and good damage, and was generally fun. Biggest issue was with tides of time, the wave got destroyed by hitting terrains and walls, and also didnt travel far enough backwards, imo. Nothing was more dissatisfying than watching the corner of it catching on a wall and getting destroyed, or seeing it disappear just short of reaching me, in both cases denying me the cooldown reduction mechanic (which is really fun!).

Dragonhunter
I liked dragon hunter a lot, but it had a few small issues. I’d love to see a trait that made traps ground targeted and increased longbow range. As is, the traps don’t synergize very well with the longbow. Tactically setting them up beforehand doesn’t work well when you’re attempting to advance into the jungle instead of defending a point. Additionally, the low cooldown and root effect on skill 2 really hurt the mobility of the class. I understand the need for the root to balance the high damage, but the fact that its ready to use so often and is a really hard hitter (making it hard to ignore once its up) lead to the class feeling very trapped and stuck. I would suggest taking away the root, and nerfing the damage and making the cooldown slightly longer to compensate.

Reaper
Honestly this one felt really good too. A long cooldown gap closer might be nice, but I could see where that might make it a little too stong as well. It would n=be nice if the shouts provided a bit more support to the party members, as thats an area necros tend to be lacking in.

Tempest
Have to say, I was fairly underwhelmed here. My main is an ele, primarily staff, and this was the first specialization I just couldn’t see myself taking, The overload mechanic is an interesting idea, but it felt too clunky and like I wasn’t really getting enough bang for how much time went into the cast. Rebound is supremely disappointing because I often found my autoattack eating the cooldown reduction, and I can only imagine how much worse that is when it shows up on allies. They probably wouldn’t even notice it. On the flip side, warhorn was surprisingly enjoyable, i have to say nice job with that one.

Masteries
I like the general outline for time investment, I calculated the exp required to complete all the magumma masteries to be roughly equivalent to earning 266 levels. I think that’s a pretty solid timeline, provided that we see new masteries added on a somewhat regular basis. The one thing I would change is how the current system of spending points and training works. Earning mastery points is a nice reward for content, because it feels like youre being rewarded with progression for your work. But if you don’t have a line already trained, your gratification is delayed because you can’t spend a point. Meanwhile, leveling up and finishing training of a mastery should feel like the culmination of effort, yet if you have no mastery points at the time, it means that you really just passed a roadblock. The current system doesnt play to the strengths of the different reward systems involved. I would reverse it, spend the point first and then do the training, that way you get the feeling of success when and progress by earning a mastery point and getting to spend it right away, and the sense of culmination when training is complete by getting to put start using the new skill right away.

Verdant Brink
The new map is an absolute blast. So much to explore and see. I love gliding around, one of the most fun thing in the game right now. I like the events that were working, but I have to say that the one where explosives were being laid to get into the temple took way too long. That one could definitely stand to be toned down quite a bit, since not much happens if you’re doing well, but you still can’t make it go any faster. With the hylek village, I think it would be better if you weren’t able to communicate with the villagers at all until you had the language mastery. As it was, it felt weird that I would try to talk to the merchants and get a “you can’t understand each other” dialogue and then immediately have a complex conversation with the village elders.

Revenant
Revenant felt really good. I think sword/sword could use a little more PBAoE, or a slight damage boost, because its relatively high risk but it doesn’t feel like it hits much harder than the other options. I would buff the damage on shiro skill 8 a bit, because as it is Shiro has fairly low damage for a legendary assassin, even if his skills are more about setting up damage potential.

80 ele
Yaks Bend

My Beta Feedback

Posted by: Dra Keln.2015

Dra Keln.2015

Map Reward System
The map reward system could use a proper UI, as it is its very easy to forget its even happening. Additionally, I would suggest including the higher end rewards (lodestones and t6 mats) in the lower level maps as part of the rotation, so as to spread the wealth out a bit. No one really wants t3 scales. In fact I think it would be great if there was always a map that rewarded each of the top tier rewards and those maps rotated all the time (ie. week 1 you get powerful blood from one map, powerful venom from another, charged lodestones from a third, etc. Week 2 the materials are still available, but at different maps)

80 ele
Yaks Bend

My Beta Feedback

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

" I calculated the exp required to complete all the magumma masteries to be roughly equivalent to earning 266 levels. I think that’s a pretty solid timeline, provided that we see new masteries added on a somewhat regular basis." Meh, it’s a grind fest in a game by a company who claimed to philosophically be against grind.