My eyes were confused.

My eyes were confused.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Macee.8015

Macee.8015

The new trailer was indeed amazing, but while watching it I couldn’t shake the feeling that I have seen this before….

After pausing the video at certain points I realised a few things:

The “new” Mursaat

The word “inspired” no longer means what it did 20 years ago, today it translates to “plagiarism”. Dragon age was spot on with their horn design, it looked cool and unique, copying that style will not slip by so easily.

And then came this:

Bigger is not always better.

Wow, just WOW, and I mean World of Warcraft quality of asset stealing….Again, a very unique and promenant desing copied, twisted and sold to you.

There were a few things that could resemble the Zerg from Starcraft, but stealing from Blizzard is like picking up a wallet stolen by someone else and walking away with it, it’s not your fault, it was already stolen.

Overall (tl;dr): We’re not playing it, so we’re not feeling it, we can only look and judge what we see.
And so far all I can see is stolen ideas and maybe some new mechanics that other games did better….
We shouldn’t forget that Mike O’brien was a Blizzard employee (he designed Battle.net), even if he says that GW2 is different, “The Curse of Blizzard” will overcome his good intentions.

Eir Stegalkin died after the crash.

(edited by Macee.8015)

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

I don’t see it…

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

chances are if you create something, someone had a similar design first, its not unusual, as for the horns, not only do they not look that similar but there are only a set number of horn like protrusions before you reuse them, its like using curly horns and saying they plagiarised this https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5094/5534212249_80419c4413_z.jpg

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

1: I would say the horn she has looks quite a bit like the horn the Charr have, which were released years before. Good try though.

2: The creature looks rather standard, and 2012 was not even close to the first time such a thing was used.

You are aware that Zerg from Starcraft is basically a more or less exact rip-off of the Warhammer 40k Tyranids, right?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I dare you to find a game that’s not “plagiarized”, as you say. You’re trying too hard :/ There’s nothing original anymore due to multiple media (book, movies, series, etc).

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Meh. They look sufficiently original to me. You’re picking on “2 sets of curved horns” and “vague broad-headed insect design” as plagiarism. There are probably hundreds of games/movies/tvshows/drawings with similar stuff in one way or another. Not to mention, like, nature.

I suggest you go take a turn around tvtropes, and get upset how everybody is “stealing” stuff from everyone else.

My eyes were confused.

Macee.8015

@Getefix
Then maybe I should inform the sheep about this. I’m sure they’ll sue.

If they copied something new I would have said “meh, bandwagoning”, but going back years and taking things they don’t think is popular enough to be noticed, now that makes angry.

e.g.: Kanye West taking a part of a song from 20+ years ago, only to realise all the authors are still alive and making music.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Erylian.8405

Erylian.8405

That lady has Charr horns and LOTR elf circlets! What plagerized villainy is this?!

;)

My eyes were confused.

Macee.8015

@lordkrall
Warhammer didn’t allow Blizzard to make a game about Warhammer 40k, so Blizz altered the looks and made their own.

@VergilDeZaniah
Worms.

@Olvendred
if that snake thing exist in our nature I’m shooting myself….

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

@lordkrall
Warhammer didn’t allow Blizzard to make a game about Warhammer 40k, so Blizz altered the looks and made their own.

I am aware of that.
It doesn’t change the fact that they are basically copying most of it though.
Both in Warcraft and Starcraft.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Where is the plagiarism in your first image? Oh how Bioware stole the spiky design from the Charr? Yes Bioware used plagiarism there indeed you are right.

As for the second one: what’s that anyway?

My eyes were confused.

VergilDeZaniah.3295

@lordkrall

@VergilDeZaniah
Worms.

@Olvendred

Same concept as Scorched Earth. Nice try anyway!

Son of Elonia.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Really? You’re accusing Arena.Net of plagiarism because they have a character design with 4 horns and some character from a recent game has a hair style that looks like 4 horns? Do you not know that Charr have had 4 horns since GW1 which was released almost 10 years ago?

Edit: also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_sheep a 4-6 horned sheep! Why have sheep plagiarised Dragon’s Age!?! Was it for money!?

That’s just silly.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

The bug from Prometheus was based of a tapeworm, sooo stolen from evolution! plagiarism!

EDIT: please don’t shoot yourself VergilDeZaniah. They’re not very big. Long though.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

My eyes are still confused, I dont even see any resemblance in the first?

The second one kinda looks like it from a distance and colourblind. But still I very much doubt they are from prometheus. I would have guessed they got inspired by the old movie the day of thr triffids.. you know plants..

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You are seriously looking too deeply into this.

I mean, really. Do you honestly believe that having two sets of horns is something original to DA2? Or that the head shape of both creatures depicted couldn’t, y’know, be inspired by king cobras?

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Wilwynd.5798

Wilwynd.5798

Did you hurt yourself in this stretch? Artists use inspiration from everything. Even the artists behind other games. Why not have classic inspiration from the same source? Ever think of that? It’s hard to produce something 100% original anymore. Styles exist for that reason. You don’t like it, then you can pack up and leave. You have a big enough problem, bring it to the other game developers’ attention. Truthfully though, nothing will happen. So just scratch your irrational mad spot and move along.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

By your logic, no game can ever use a dragon or a troll since theyve already been used by others in the past.

And, as others have said, I dont really see it in some of the images you’ve posted. An ethereal being with a horned mask next to a woman using too much hair gel – if that is plagarism, then the world really is falling into a litigious quagmire of silliness.

I think its time to take off the tin foil hat (which, my guess, is shaped like it has horns – so you better be careful of litigation yourself).

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

You are grasping at strings Macee.

Bioware did not invent horns and DA2 Flemeth looks nothing like the redesigned Mursaat.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

60%5 of the stuff in WoW was in my 80’s D&D Books….I don’t see your point with this post.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

It’s different enough to not be the same. Any idea you ever had has probably been thought up already, so good writers, designers, and whatnot learn to not get caught up with being “100% original”. “10% original” is actually quite good in most cases to have one thing become one’s own creation and not a simple copy.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: adagiophoto.4512

adagiophoto.4512

Funny, she looks like a Tiefling…. Everyone is just ripping off D&D, who ripped off Tolkein, who ripped off previous legends and cultures…

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

@lordkrall

@VergilDeZaniah
Worms.

@Olvendred

Reminds me of a cobra...

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The word you are looking for is Apophenia

Its nature’s way of making you think you’re clever… When you’re not.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

(edited by Nike.2631)

My eyes were confused.

VergilDeZaniah.3295

The bug from Prometheus was based of a tapeworm, sooo stolen from evolution! plagiarism!

EDIT: please don’t shoot yourself VergilDeZaniah. They’re not very big. Long though.

I wasn’t the one talking about shooting myself :P thanks anyway! xD

Son of Elonia.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

I wasn’t the one talking about shooting myself :P thanks anyway! xD

Well, then, the other guy – don’t shoot yourself either! There is no need for anyone to die tonight.

BTW that head also looks a lot like some species of leeches.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

These threads sometimes….

Lol

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

And wow ripped off Tolkien, and Tolkien ripped off Arthurian legends and Medievial Folklore. The saying goes, there are no new ideas, just repeated old ones.

Even hyphens, those are big stretches.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Endo Kazuki.2086

Endo Kazuki.2086

I usually just read complaints on this forum not logged in and thinking to myself ‘’these complainers got nothing better to do’’.

But this thread is just… big facepalm. =.=

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

OP, you’re really grasping at straws here. The helmets of the new Mursaat design are directly linked to the ones from GW1.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

The good thing about threads like this is that it makes it really easy to figure out who to put on your blocked list. I cant imagine the stuff you put in general chat….

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

Oh no it has 2 legs, what a plagiarism!

Seriously, the figure shapes you linked have existed since ages ago, some even in popular culture. This thread is bad, and you should feel bad.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: BerriosC.7295

BerriosC.7295

It’s 2015. Coming up with something that 100% OC is nearly impossible.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

They probably stole the concept of warriors and dragons from WoW!

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

@OP Waw dude really?….i mean honestly go take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself out loud “Did i really post this sh**?”…come back and tell us what the reflection answered.

Next thread u will make is about ANet stealing the idea of trees from real life.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: godofcows.2451

godofcows.2451

nice troll op. world needs help if isn’t.

My eyes were confused.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

The “new” Mursaat

The word “inspired” no longer means what it did 20 years ago, today it translates to “plagiarism”. Dragon age was spot on with their horn design, it looked cool and unique, copying that style will not slip by so easily.

The “new” Mursaat helmet design is based on the “old” GW1 Mursaat design, which not only looks a lot more similar to it than what is in Dragon Age screenshot, it also predates it by 4 years.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks